• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Clarifies Mark Cerny's Role With The Last Guardian

iNvid02

its much more fun to picture him as the closer sony sends out when projects have gone awry

anyone who saw him raise his voice or deviate from that calm, shy demeanor were never seen again

scwx9eT.png

Mark Cerny is brought in to consult during this period because no one actually has experience programming for the PS4, so he's the closest thing to a subject matter expert you can find. This is normal, especially for small teams where many of the members may be highly specialized in working with specific sets of hardware and need training on programming for different platforms.
Cerny had the same credit for God of War 3 Uncharted and many other games too

Corpsepyre

Banned
Can't wait for the game. Should make 2016 too. :(

Also, are the gameplay mechanics clear to anyone? Is it co-op or you just control the kid?

Rivitur

Banned
Holy shit!. PS4 downgrade confirmed!. PS3 version has better shadows,lighting and textures. I can't believe they cancelled the superior PS3 version in favour of that.

Seems like GenDesign pulled an Ubi stunt! This industry sucks!
I actually agree with you. But maybe its just some tricks on the ps3 version with the darkness making it look way better. The ps4 version looks washed out to me.

While I am excited for the game and was very pleased with the demo, the game looks too similar to when it was last shown. It has a higher resolution, better textures and lighting but it kind of ends up looking like a PC version of a PS3 game. After 4 years of silence, I was hoping for a little more than that. At least the art style is great.
I've seen that they added stuff. There were screenshots comparing. But i think it will stay true to the art direction. I'm fine with that. Game now gets to look like it should

Blobbers

If you think it looks like a PS3 game, watch the gamersyde HD video. You will immediately change your mind. The PS3 would melt trying to process that. Some people might be disappointed that the artstyle hasn't changed, but that's a different thing.

spons

Gold Member
Game looks great, I don't agree with all design choices I've seen in the E3 footage but alright. It's good that this studio has a good technical consultant in the form of Cerny, and nothing more than that. Original vision of the studio is the most important thing here.

Oh, I thought there would be sections where we would be controlling the beast as well. Hmm, I see. Think there will be more to the gameplay than just platforming though?

Check out Ico, replace the girl with the giant creature. I think you will have a better understanding of how the game works.

kurahador

Oh, I thought there would be sections where we would be controlling the beast as well. Hmm, I see. Think there will be more to the gameplay than just platforming though?

Most likely. We still don't know how the combat from the 2009 trailer will works, or how we'll interact with Trico while it's flying, etc...

"in other news, bethesda playtesters, final fantasy writers, and that guy who came up with the diablo 3 auction house are beginning work on a new MMO"

Eh, it's misleading. He's the president of the company, but he's just one employee out of an unknown quantity.

That includes Fumito Ueda, founder of the studio.

QspVb5T.jpg

kurahador

Is this why they had so many technical issues initially? Due to the A.I. of Trico?

That's my guess as well. Shadow Of Colossus works because they moves and react slowly, Trico requires an instantaneous reactions. Trying to eliminate the jerky animations transitions alone will be a nightmare.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Grimløck;169145183 said:
what? team ico games were never graphically prioritized. they purse a certain aesthetic--one of ephemera and poetry to elicit a certain mood.
Actually the Team ICO games were very advanced for their time at release. Ico's cloth physics for instance.

People who're saying that the game "doesn't look next gen enough" really need to read this.

More gifs because shit I love the animation in this game.

8AssA2Q.gif

The way different parts of the boy's body bob up and down make me think this is partially affected by inverse kinematics almost.

G9EmT7U.gif

Trico is easily the best animated creature in all of gaming if not just flat out the best animated character full-stop. Never seen such natural expression of fear in a game character.

xMlslAs.gif

The stretch, the tension in his muscles, dem feathers.

bMDT9Sk.gif

The way it moves and reacts reminds me so much of my dog I swear.

No, that its name. The japanese title of the game is "Trico, the Man-eating Eagle"

This game is doing a shit ton of things that the ps3 couldn't handle, like the movement of the bird's feathers as well as any foliage. At a higher IQ at that, and as others mentioned, the AI of Trico itself seems to be very complex.

Funny, there were some posters a few weeks back claiming Ueda had stopped any work on The Last Guardian some years ago. Turns out that was a load of tosh.

Handy Fake

Actually the Team ICO games were very advanced for their time at release. Ico's cloth physics for instance.

People who're saying that the game "doesn't look next gen enough" really need to read this.

This game is doing a shit ton of things that the ps3 couldn't handle, like the movement of the bird's feathers as well as any foliage. At a higher IQ at that, and as others mentioned, the AI of Trico itself seems to be very complex.

I can't stop looking at the way he turns in the last .gif.
And how terrified he looks in the first Trico one.
Gah. GAH.

Funny, there were some posters a few weeks back claiming Ueda had stopped any work on The Last Guardian some years ago. Turns out that was a load of tosh.

Like most misinformation, it probably comes from false assumptions of quotes taken out of context.

XzyCzkS.jpg

I think that it was pretty obvious that when the game had to be transitioned from PS3->PS4, Ueda's contributions to the project were significantly impacted because he ended up have to do creative contributions without actually having a build of the game to work with.

So, it's absolutely no surprise that he could've finished his creative contribution... at that point of time until the PS3->PS4 reengineering was completed, and he could restart his work on TLG in a tangible manner, and not just level design with pen/paper.

Not to mention that if Japan Studio was largely focused on Knack/Puppeteer at that point of time, he's constrained by the fact that the development studio's resources are taken up by other games, and he don't have enough hands on-deck to actually... you know, build levels and assets for the game.

Too little level-headeness, too much blind assumptions.

Apathy

You're both right in a way. They were powerhouses but did to the details of the characters and not the world necessarily. SotC was very barren and so was the castle in Ico, and the detail came from things like the ai (agro more than yorda but whatever) and cloth physics/character animation/lighting and collision /fur on the colossus. The next iteration of these systems is clearly seen here in a much more advanced form. So people claiming downgrades or saying it looks like a ps3 game are out of their mind if the team and creator specially said they couldn't run it on that platform.

Music in my ears.
I hope Ueda new independent studio can make more game multiplatform after TLG so more gamers can play his master piece.

Unlikely. For a Japanese dev, it's either 3DS or PS4/Vita.

At any rate, those guys are known as the Olympic team and they couldn't even produce a game every 4th year.

Handy Fake

Finally got around to downloading and watching the HQ video from Gamersyde.

Little bit emotional here, ha. The music swelling, Trico, the happy whimper he gives at the end... Bah.

It's not only just Trico's animation, but also the background details that impress. There's so much physics simulation going on on-top of all the sophisticated A.I, I can well believe that it would be impossible to achieve that on a Ps3.

People are mistaking art-style for technical aspects gleaned from shitty streams.

Oh completely. I'm having difficulty seeing all this PS3 nonsense, especially after watching the HQ video.

Unlikely. For a Japanese dev, it's either 3DS or PS4/Vita.

At any rate, those guys are known as the Olympic team and they couldn't even produce a game every 4th year.

Unless this is just for TLG, they're also... probably just a creative design studio, not unlike Mistwalker.

Which means that their "ideas" probably needs some publisher funding + code monkeys to actually be developed.

If Sony chooses to continue working with Ueda post-TLG, it's probably a good move. This way, Sony can tell Ueda "finish your design documents first, then we'll talk development" rather than just letting Ueda take up internal resources at his own pace.

Peltz

I mean... just watching the footage this year shows that this is authentic to the original vision and being made by the original developers. The only other games where characters move like that are in Ico and SOTC.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You're both right in a way. They were powerhouses but did to the details of the characters and not the world necessarily. SotC was very barren and so was the castle in Ico, and the detail came from things like the ai (agro more than yorda but whatever) and cloth physics/character animation/lighting and collision /fur on the colossus. The next iteration of these systems is clearly seen here in a much more advanced form. So people claiming downgrades or saying it looks like a ps3 game are out of their mind if the team and creator specially said they couldn't run it on that platform.
Yea, Ueda came into the industry as an animator, and it so clearly shows. One of the least common things we see in games is characters actually holding hands during gameplay. And he was able to build a game with that as one of the main gameplay features. His team is so next level in terms of character animation. As well as storytelling without relying on cutscenes. literally whenever I need an example of amazing visual storytelling in games, I don't choose the last of us, or journey, it's always a team ico game.

FranXico

Nothing special about his involvement then. He is just providing general development advice, just like with every other first party title.

personally it can look like a ps2 game for all i care, i just want the game :)

and art style aside it really, really does not look like a last gen game.

Issun23

Unless this is just for TLG, they're also... probably just a creative design studio, not unlike Mistwalker.

Which means that their "ideas" probably needs some publisher funding + code monkeys to actually be developed.

If Sony chooses to continue working with Ueda post-TLG, it's probably a good move. This way, Sony can tell Ueda "finish your design documents first, then we'll talk development" rather than just letting Ueda take up internal resources at his own pace.

They're now in the process of hiring a bunch of people; modellers, programmers, animators and technical artists.

Also, in a new interview with Japanese media Ueda confirmed we'll see the monster growing both in form and in behaviour. Apart from the boy, the monster and the soldiers there could be other characters in the game but he wants to keep that a secret for now. Toriko will never be completely tamed. It's a ferocious beast at its heart. We'll see that side of it when defending the boy from the soldiers scattered among the ruins.

The game seems unchanged from the 2009 original. Only the technical aspect of it has evolved.

jett

D-Member
One, people should download the high quality video from Gameryside. Game looks absolutely gorgeous, streaming quality doesn't do it justice.

Two, people should take a look at how the game looked like on the PS3 back in 2010. Super fuzzy, dirty, blurry, horribly jagged shadows and vegetation, used dithering instead of true transparencies. All of this is gone in the PS4 game. IQ is pristine. And the framerate was sped up in these trailers, by all accounts in ran terribly, and you can see that in the videos that came with the ICO/SotC collection.

And three, obviously both versions of the game resemble each other since they're still the same game and share the same aesthetic and art design, but it's not just performance and image quality upgrades that are in play here.

image_the_last_guardian-28646-1520_0001.jpg

Trico has many more feathers, all of them animate, has more whiskers, more fur. It's a much more accomplished character model.

The game also has better lighting, shadowing and is using SSAO. People already posted my gifs, but really in motion this thing is absolutely outstanding.

9N276Xo.gif

R0nn

I think people are underestimating how much power the animations, physics and AI of Trico take up. It's probably quite a workload.

CREMSteve

One, people should download the high quality video from Gameryside. Game looks absolutely gorgeous, streaming quality doesn't do it justice.

Two, people should take a look at how the game looked like on the PS3 back in 2010. Super fuzzy, dirty, blurry, horribly jagged shadows and vegetation, used dithering instead of true transparencies. All of this is gone in the PS3 game. IQ is pristine. And the framerate was sped up in these trailers, by all accounts in ran terribly, and you can see that in the videos that came with the ICO/SotC collection.

And three, obviously both versions of the game resemble each other since they're still the same game and share the same aesthetic and art design, but it's not just performance and image quality upgrades that are in play here.

image_the_last_guardian-28646-1520_0001.jpg

Trico has many more feathers, all of them animate, has more whiskers, more fur. It's a much more accomplished character model.

The game also has better lighting, shadowing and is using SSAO. People already posted my gifs, but really in motion this thing is absolutely outstanding.

9N276Xo.gif
And the player is controlling the boy while Trico is doing all of that. They're holding on and climbing up while he spins and turns and runs and jumps. It's nuts balls.

Alucrid

Banned

Two, people should take a look at how the game looked like on the PS3 back in 2010. Super fuzzy, dirty, blurry, horribly jagged shadows and vegetation, used dithering instead of true transparencies. All of this is gone in the PS3 game. IQ is pristine. And the framerate was sped up in these trailers, by all accounts in ran terribly, and you can see that in the videos that came with the ICO/SotC collection.

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_the_last_guardian-28646-1520_0001.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9N276Xo.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
wow, what did they do port this down to a psx?

Walpurgis

Banned
Maybe you should follow the game harder because you really don't seem to have a clue.

But please, continue with this dumb argument, it's hilarious.

Wow. Your excellent and well-thought out arguments have convinced me that I was wrong.
Grimløck;169146823 said:
you seriously think these don't look better than before?

i don't know what to tell you man. if you're so hung up on graphics, obviously this isn't for you.
Why don't you try reading the post that you are quoting?
You forget to take into consideration that this is, in all essence, the production manpower the size of of an indie studio. It is as if you expect the guys who are kickstarted Yooka-Laylee to compete with the likes of ND and 343 studios in production value.

The game technology clearly is beyond the PS3, that has been confirmed and the main reason of the delay. What you are observing is a very high quality title beyond the areas of Journey or Flower at most but under Uncharted or the Witcher 3.
The people developing The Last Guardian are capable of much more than Yooka-Laylee people. The reason why I expected better graphics is because the PS3 version looked VERY good. I expected that to stay true with the PS4 version. I am finding it strange that people here are acting as the graphics cannot be improved because this is "Ueda's vision", as if they know what that means. As far as I am concerned, his original vision was a game with some of the best graphics on its hardware. Also, team size is clearly irrelevant, just look at The Tomorrow Children.
Juniors happen.
Is that all?

dr_rus

I actually agree with you. But maybe its just some tricks on the ps3 version with the darkness making it look way better. The ps4 version looks washed out to me.
Yeah, this trick is called the absence of global illumination on PS3.

Top Bottom