• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms Crash Bandicoot rights still with Activision

zoukka

Let's face it, who could've even developed a new Crash game for realz? The IP is so tainted by the output post PS1 era.

LewieP

They wouldn't need to acquire the rights to make a new game, just license the ip.

Not that I'm too bothered either way.

Darksol

Potential spoiler of a very recent and big game. You've been warned.

Then why no mention of Activision in the Uncharted credits?

Sony to announce at E3 an unprecedented partnership with Activision to release exclusively to the PS4 version of Skylanders the CRASH BANDICOOT FIGURE FOR SUPERCHARGERS UNLEASHED AAAAAAAAH LOOK AT HIS COOL VEHICLE

wrowa

Why would Activison sell it? If Sony wanted to make a new Crash game, they'd need to license the rights.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Doesnt mean anything - they could still licence it or co produce the next game. Both companies have been very close with co-marketing deals on Destiny and CoD anyway.

Hahaha-No-Meme-11.png

salromano

Well, yeah.

If you check the trademark database, you'll clearly see that Activision still owns the trademark for "Crash Bandicoot." If Sony did make some deal to acquire Crash Bandicoot, it wouldn't make sense for the trademark to be transferred until after it's announced, otherwise it would ruin the surprise. Looking at the European trademark database, it shows that the Gears of War trademark wasn't transferred to Microsoft until February 20, 2014, which is a month after Microsoft announced it had acquired the IP.

The point is, something could be going on with Crash at Sony, and saying Activision "owns the rights" wouldn't actually be a lie, at least right now.

Edit: And honestly, that's the only thing that makes sense given the fact that (spoiler about a big game releasing shortly)
neither Crash or Acti are mentioned in U4's credits

Elios83

Nothing prevents a collaboration project between Activision and Sony even if the license stays with Activision.
Actually this is the most likely way a new Crash Bandicoot game could happen.

Raylan

Banned
Like I've already said in a different thread:

Activision, you can keep your next Crash Bandicoot game. That's not was the longtime PS fans want. They want Sony to acquire the IP and THEN maybe a new game.

For fucks sake..... Sony has such a good relationship with Activision right now (see COD and Destiny) and they still can't get the Crash IP. Yeah.... whatever. Crash is dead... as long as it's an Activision IP.

Crash Bandicoot will be inside the next Call of Duty game, you can unlock it as a random drop in supply drops. 0.01% chance, so start paying those microtransactions.

Xater

Doesnt mean anything - they could still licence it or co produce the next game. Both companies have been very close with co-marketing deals on Destiny and CoD anyway.

Just doesn't seem like an Activision thing to do. Also don't know if the potential profit sharing would make it worth the hassle.

I seriously don't understand this outside of bandwagoning.

Don't get me wrong, as a kid crash bandicoot made me want a Ps1. Crash 1,2,3 were fantastic games and CTR was better than Mario Kart.

Why people want a new crash game is madness to me. All the games after the ND run were absolute garbage. The only thing that even makes remote sense is to remaster 1-3.

A modern day crash game, what would that even be outside of a disappointment? No one is checking for platformers anymore. It's pure nostalgia behind this recent crash obsession on GAF. Feed the nostalgia with the remasters and then throw crash back into IP abyss where he belongs.

Theonik

videogamer. com/xbox360/crash_bandicoot_mind_over_mutant/news/

wtf? why post this in 360 news..? lol
Because they attach the news to the last Crash game that came out and default to the 360 version. They should have made a placeholder game though.

m4st4

But what is Crash 2016/17 anyway? Crash 1-3 on Unreal 4 or something significantly expanded and different, 'matured', a la Jak and Daxter - risking backlash?

I'm not sure we actually need new Crash.

FelipeMGM

SAL WITH THE TRUTH

Well, yeah.

If you check the trademark database, you'll clearly see that Activision still owns the trademark for "Crash Bandicoot." If Sony did make some deal to acquire Crash Bandicoot, it wouldn't make sense for the trademark to be transferred until after it's announced, otherwise it would ruin the surprise. Looking at the European trademark database, it shows that the Gears of War trademark wasn't transferred to Microsoft until February 20, 2014, which is a month after Microsoft announced it had acquired the IP.

The point is, something could be going on with Crash at Sony, and saying Activision "owns the rights" wouldn't actually be a lie, at least right now.

sinxtanx

Sony to announce at E3 an unprecedented partnership with Activision to release exclusively to the PS4 version of Skylanders the CRASH BANDICOOT FIGURE FOR SUPERCHARGERS UNLEASHED AAAAAAAAH LOOK AT HIS COOL VEHICLE

We're already IN the darkest timeline

this is expected

Like I've already said in a different thread:

Activision, you can keep your next Crash Bandicoot game. That's not was the longtime PS fans want. They want Sony to acquire the IP and THEN maybe a new game.

For fucks sake..... Sony has such a good relationship with Activision right now (see COD and Destiny) and they still can't get the Crash IP. Yeah.... whatever. Crash is dead... as long as it's an Activision IP.

You don't sell your IP just because you have a good relationship with someone. It could still end up being the exact same game regardless of who owns the IP. More important is who will develop it and what kind of game they are making.

Now Sony has seen the thirst is real, surely there's a real opportunity to create a new mascot and fun, colourful 3D platformer reminiscent of these types of games. It doesn't have to be Crash. And it really shouldn't be more Knack.

MrV4ltor

That doesn't stop them from doing an exclusivity deal or Sony funding the next title. It's not like he outright said that there isn't a Crash game in development.
Sony also still owns Spider-Man and he's part of the MCU now.

You Crash returns to Sony people are the 2010s version of shenmue 3 weirdos of the 2000s.

Don't let things like facts get in the way though!

Asd202

I seriously don't understand this outside of bandwagoning.

Don't get me wrong, as a kid crash bandicoot made me want a Ps1. Crash 1,2,3 were fantastic games and CTR was better than Mario Kart.

Why people want a new crash game is madness to me. All the games after the ND run were absolute garbage. The only thing that even makes remote sense is to remaster 1-3.

A modern day crash game, what would that even be outside of a disappointment? No one is checking for platformers anymore. It's pure nostalgia behind this recent crash obsession on GAF. Feed the nostalgia with the remasters and then throw crash back into IP abyss where he belongs.

But CTR 2 made my ND
a man can dream.

SNURB

Oh no. Where will I get my 90's 'tude from now?

Say what you will about "90s attitude" shit -- if you actually played the game you would know that was just the marketing renders, Crash in game is more akin to a goofy puppy than 80s and 90s 'TUDE™ -- but clearly he's still cared about.

Top Bottom