• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Social Business Platform Sony confirms it will sell PlayStation 5 direct to consumers via PlayStation Direct in Europe

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Dec 1, 2014
ibiza

The company’s US arm launched PlayStation Direct to sell consoles, games and accessories direct to consumers in September 2019.

A job advert posted last December suggested SIE was seeking to “build on the successful launch” in the US by bringing the store to Europe – a plan it confirmed during an investor relations event on Thursday.

During Sony’s current business year (FY21) ending in March 2022, the company intends to launch PlayStation Direct in Germany, the UK, Ireland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg.

“PlayStation Direct has achieved significant revenue in the US market within little more than a year of starting operations,” SIE president and CEO Jim Ryan said during a presentation.

“We plan for 300 percent further growth within this fiscal year, helped by our upcoming launch in Europe.”

In a presentation slide, Sony said PlayStation Direct generated over $5 million in FY19, over $200 million in FY20, and is expected to bring in over $600 million during the current business year.

Klik

Jun 30, 2016
Cool. I hope everyone who wants to buy PS5 would be able to get it soon.

I got really lucky and manage to get one on day of release,probably played about 400hours till now, its really an impressive console.

Reactions: Zones

MilkLizard

Feb 28, 2011
Luxembourg? Not used being in a first wave of anything so this is a pleasant surprise. Maybe I can finally buy a PS5 soon without too much trouble?

Last edited:
Reactions: jonnyp and tommib

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Jun 1, 2013
Hope this means just better stock overall for all regions that have PS Direct.

Their queue system is fine as long as you get an early heads up. Got line up for the queue before the queue actually starts, lol. The earlier you know, the better your chances.

Krappadizzle

Oct 4, 2011
Thank GIF

Should have happened months ago. MSFT, Sony, Nintendo all need to do direct to consumer sales. The GPU market is nearly dead due to bots snatching up every lot popping up across amazon, tigerdirect, Newegg, etc. Still can't get a 30xx series card and I've been trying for months.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: sn0man

Fredrik

Jun 27, 2005
Of course, can't deny Nordisk Film their god-given right to jack up console prices to ridiculous levels and pocket the difference (Sony has no console distribution of their own in the Nordics).
It sucks. I’ve seriously never experienced anything like this in 35+ years as a gamer. A friend got one sent directly from Sony when buying a Sony phone but the closest I’ve got to a PS5 at a retailer is this AR thing at Elgiganten 😞

I saw some investor slides showing something that could be a Bravia X PS5 bundle. I could see myself upgrade the TV soon so maybe that’s one entry point.

Reactions: GuinGuin

Mithos

Apr 26, 2006
Sweden
Of course, can't deny Nordisk Film their god-given right to jack up console prices to ridiculous levels and pocket the difference (Sony has no console distribution of their own in the Nordics).
Indeed...

Checks retail prices...
PS5 at 5990SEK (us$725 or € 593)
PS5 DE at 4990SEK (us$605 or €493)

GuinGuin

May 18, 2021
Sony been through this before with PS4 pro, PS5 is more sophisticated and Sony misjudged demand.

They didn't misjudge demand. They made more than they made PS4s in the same time frame with a pandemic and chip shortage going on. It's just a must have item for any fan of video games. They were never going to have enough for everyone.

Con-Z-epT

Dec 3, 2019
How will they stop the scalping?
I really hope that it is not just about the increase of profit but that they also have some serious plans to intervene in terms of scalping.
How many people could already have a PS5 if this wouldn't happen?