• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms no free PS5 Upgrade for PS4 Spider-Man Owners

Agent X

Clarification from James Stevenson of Insomniac Games

This is quoted from a post by Insomniac's James Stevenson on another forum:

Just to be clear too - this is far more than an increase in resolution/framerate and tagging surfaces for ray-tracing. We have put a significant amount of work and effort into the Remaster. From my blog on the matter:

"The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game’s art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console’s horsepower. You’ll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You’ll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We’ll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback. Lastly we’re adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again."

Here's the PlayStation.Blog post that he is referring to

Dthomp

Ugh, I'm so sick of the lack of info from EVERYBODY with how quick the new systems are coming. I understand why they aren't giving it free, and I would ASSUME that it's a pretty significant upgrade, but FFS SHOW US THE GAME!

That simple act would show people the work that was put in and why they can't just give it away to a bunch of folk who bought the game for 10 bucks on sale, and we can just go back to being excited to have a good launch game...well games to play since it's 2 games and all DLC

Do they though and will Game Pass destroy them? I'm not trying toot Sony's horn here, but their games sold likes hot cakes this generation.

They really didn't. Not enough to sustain a company like Sony on those sales alone. They are always slashing prices and bundling their exclusives with discounted consoles. If they were "selling like hot cakes" this would not happen. Fanboy narratives and reality are two different things.

Agent X

Also stated by James Stevenson in that thread on another forum:

If you have a standard edition of Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales (whether you bought PS4 or PS5), when you play it on PS5, there will be an in-game option to "upgrade" to the Ultimate Edition (aka, download Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered) for $20.

Just to be clear you can buy the PS4 Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales Standard Edition. Then when you get a PS5, either put in the disc to download the PS5 version, or just download the PS5 version if you bought it digitally. That's the free upgrade on Miles.

Once you boot the PS5 Miles version, you then can from the game menu pay for the $20 upgrade to the Ultimate Edition (aka, download Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered).

So any Miles standard player can upgrade. (One exception - you must have a disc-drive PS5 if you have a disc-based copy of Miles on PS4).

So, Spider-Man Remastered on PS5 will be available separately as an optional purchase for those who purchased the standard version of Spider-Man: Miles Morales on either PS4 or PS5.

Perhaps it's best to think of Spider-Man Remastered as an add-on DLC pack for Spider-Man: Miles Morales.

sncvsrtoip

Drama from ass, who thought it will be free upgrade if it was clear it's addition to ultimate miles morales edition with rt, new assets and haptic feedback (but sure it would be nice if we could upgrade basic spiderman without bouyng miles morales)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So they’re reconfirming what we already know. (Barring spiderman Remastered as a stand-alone digital title.)
I think so in a longwinded way.

On the plus side if you got PS4 Spidey MM, it is a free upgrade to the PS5 MM game. But the remaster is off limits. You want it, you got to get the $70 Ultimate Edition.

I don't care how much effort went into the upgrade, this is the kind of stuff plenty of devs do for free with games far older than Spiderman and from studios/publishers with far fewer resources.

This is Sony being wankers, pure and simple.

They also seem to be forgetting that their games are meant to be adverts that sell their platforms first, and make a profit a distant second.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
What a pro consumer move. I hope it has a 80 euro price tag.

I remember when someone said they don't mind paying for Greatness.

Yeah, that's all your gain right here. Congrats.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
This seems like a nice upgrade. It definitely should be paid content and I'm 100% sure the standalone version will be released later.

The crazies will use this for console war BS and say it's only ultra settings or whatever. Let them choke.

plip.plop

I'm gonna hold judgement until I can see the difference between the remaster and the PS4 enhanced edition on PS5. It would've been nice if they offered a $10-20 dollar upgrade for people that own the digital version of the ps4 game since they can confirm they own the digital rights and are not just borrowing a friends physical game.

Max_Po

Banned
I don't care how much effort went into the upgrade, this is the kind of stuff plenty of devs do for free with games far older than Spiderman and from studios/publishers with far fewer resources.

They also seem to be forgetting that their games are meant to be adverts that sell their platforms first, and make a profit a distant second.

Are you fucking kidding me? I just purchased Super Mario All Star...

that game is emulating 25 year old game and has frame drops... Super Mario 64.. that came out like 100 years ago in technology years. And you are complaining about SONY ?

Last edited:
It would be nice to have a free upgrade.
But it was highly unlikely.
This is the equivalent of asking for TLOU:R to be free for people who owned the game on PS3. Its not boost mode, its essentially a remaster.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Activision did the same with COD4 Remaster. It was a forced bundle and your old 2007 saves don't carry over. Like Activision they are just trying to milk gamers for the deluxe package.

Give it 6 months and Spidey Remaster will be a $30 digital download.

Just like Activision they did the same thing. Deny a standalone game is coming.

Just watch. I use COD4 as the benchmark and say spring 2021 for a standalone.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

They're not getting a new Series X version of FH4 really. They get already existing FH4 at higher resolution and framerate with some graphics settings turned up, that's it.
No new assets like Spiderman Remastered and therefore not comparable, there you go.
Aren't you paying 50 dollars already for the new assets (Miles Morales)?
At least that's what i thought it was, new assets and models for the city and characters + RTX and a dlc sized story.

that game is emulating 25 year old game and has frame drops... Super Mario 64.. that came out like 100 years ago in technology years. And you are complaining about SONY ?
I complain about everyone, and Nintendo 100% overcharged for that substandard collection of Mario game ports, but that doesn't mean Sony aren't being wankers here.

me0wish

Free upgrade is not a realistic expectation IMO.

However not having an upgrade path for current owners readily available seems unacceptable.
It is, but it's not expected on consoles due to publishers greed, and console owners not minding paying extra, DMC5 re-release would get shredded if Capcom asks us to pay for a freekin patch.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I never played Spider-Man on the PS4 and was going to hold out until the PS5 since they showcased the SSD improvements with it... planned on getting the MM edition that included the remaster. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
If they are treating it as different SKU, then this is the fastest release to remaster ever. A new record.

Senua

Why on earth did you purchase it then? Enabling it aint ya

algacon

Neo Member
I think it is fair to pay for the upgrade, but I don't understand why they can't sell it without buying miles morales.

ZehDon

The game came out about two years ago! They're still using it in their advertisements. Feels pretty terrible when other companies like CD Project Red are adding next-gen features to games that are over five years old. With the price hike to boot, PS4-era Sony feels like its slipping away.

Dibils2k

if i buy MM, can i upgrade to SP Remastered later?

cause i wanna finish MM and see if i am hungry to play more (especially if ray tracing or 60fps is really impressive) and buy accordingly

Warablo

You can slap remaster on anything and sell it. Its gonna be weird if Spiderman BC on the Ps5 doesn't perform at least a tiny bit better.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You can slap remaster on anything and sell it. Its gonna be weird if Spiderman BC on the Ps5 doesn't perform at least a tiny bit better.
Interesting thought - looking forward to the eventual DF video: "Is the Spider-Man remaster worth $20?" where they compare the remaster with the original game running in backwards compatibility.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
q41OFvG.png

For those who laugh reacted this, I am curious about your answer...

What are your thoughts about this image?

I think it is fair to pay for the upgrade, but I don't understand why they can't sell it without buying miles morales.
Fair? Probably but how about some discount for those of us with the original game and all the dlc? If the upgrade is good i won;t mind paying extra $10 for it

Shmunter

Microsoft - here’s the entire Bethesda catalogue for our fans
Sony - we’re going to convolute and lock up an upgrade to one of our most popular games so you pay twice, because we know you will

Can‘t wait to buy ultimate editions of Last Of Us 2 and Ghosts next. Pure scum

🧐

Last edited:
I mean the fact that you are getting triggered by an OP that is literally ok with paying for this remaster because I brought up some other concerns is far more concerning.

LOL I'm triggered. You're the one that made a post complaining about a bunch of what ifs. Furthermore, if you are not OK with paying for a remaster, don't buy it, simple as that.

ripeavocado

Banned
Also stated by James Stevenson in that thread on another forum:

So, Spider-Man Remastered on PS5 will be available separately as an optional purchase for those who purchased the standard version of Spider-Man: Miles Morales on either PS4 or PS5.

Perhaps it's best to think of Spider-Man Remastered as an add-on DLC pack for Spider-Man: Miles Morales.

This sucks, so no free upgrade for the original Spider-Man, not even a simple one?

Last edited:

chasimus

The only thing I find disheartening about this news is that I can't buy the new version and transfer my save over from the PS4 version. I beat the game but didn't go through the DLC or post credits challenges. I really don't want to have to go through the entire game again, even as fun as it was.

Top Bottom