• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms no free PS5 Upgrade for PS4 Spider-Man Owners

Tschumi

EEEHK. Alarm buzzer. So a game that has finished development and would need to be rebuilt is expected to have a free upgrade? Hey, mate, could you tell Eidos to give me a free HD remake/generational upgrade of Human Revolution? That's be nice, ta~

Doncabesa

I think the worst thing is (for now) there is no actual upgrade path at all. I can't pay $20 to upgrade my PS4 version to PS5. I cannot purchase it standalone for any price. I can only purchase it as part of a $70 package. It cannot be "upgraded" it can only be part of a $70 purchase.

Last edited:
Clarification from James Stevenson of Insomniac Games

This is quoted from a post by Insomniac's James Stevenson on another forum:

Here's the PlayStation.Blog post that he is referring to

Nothing there says this was work that wasn't already being done for MM and trying to spin it so that people will buy that this isn't a rip off. I mean THREE NEW COSTUMES! THREE! More traffic further draw distances and the like are slider options in every open world game ever made, so yeah bullshit all you want this is clearly a naked money grab on their most popular game. I wonder if this was an insomniac decision as the rumors of it coming free with MM were around for a while and then we found out it was an add on later.

Sorry if old,

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Remastered is an enhanced version of Marvel’s Spider-Man, and is included as part of Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition for the PlayStation 5. In addition, players who purchase Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales on PlayStation 4 can upgrade at no additional cost to the PS5 version of Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales and can take advantage of a paid-upgrade to download Marvel’s Spider-Man: Remastered.

There are no plans currently to offer Marvel’s-Spider-Man: Remastered as a standalone. Players with a copy of Marvel’s Spider-Man for PS4 can purchase Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles MoralesUltimate Edition to experience Marvel’s Spider-Man: Remastered on PS5. Marvel’s Spider-Man for PS4 also will be backwards compatible on PS5.

20200924-202540.jpg

:(

:p

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The key to next gen will be losing this “upgrade, free, version, remastered” crowd you release a new video game that’s it, it’s something that will continue into next generation.

Shmunter

The remaster is a complete upgrade, similar to what the last of us 1 remaster was compared to the PS3 version.
The PS3 to PS4 remaster is what I would expect from PS5 boost for PS4 games. Higher resolution, improved iq, improved framerate.

Getting PS3 to PS4 games running was a complete rewrite due to distinct differences in console architecture. This is no longer the case, times change, expectations change.

The PS3 to PS4 remaster is what I would expect from PS5 boost for PS4 games. Higher resolution, improved iq, improved framerate.

Getting PS3 to PS4 games running was a complete rewrite due to distinct differences in console architecture. This is no longer the case, times change, expectations change.

You expect to get all that for free ... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony confirms no free rides for loyal customers.
It's a weird situation.

- There's a free Miles Morales upgrade
- If Sony/Insomniac want to make a stand the remastered game deserves a fee because they put a lot of work into it, that's fine
- Yet they paywall it behind the $70 Ultimate Edition, or you have to buy the MM game and then do a $20 upgrade which is the same as just getting $70 Ultimate right off the bat

What a money grab hoping tons of PS gamers just buy the $70 game.

And they claim no standalone version. Ok, we'll see next year if a $20 downloadable copy pops up.

Shit Sony week.

Fixed. They have been stepping in it all week to be fair - quite a run they are on.

This remaster stuff is horrible. Couldn’t have handled it worse.

Best case: give it free as a thank you to loyal customers
Next best case: Give it free with MM to owners of the original
Barely acceptable case: sell it for a nominal fee to owners of the original ($10?)
Absolute worst case: what they are doing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fixed. They have been stepping in it all week to be fair - quite a run they are on.

This remaster stuff is horrible. Couldn’t have handled it worse.

Best case: give it free as a thank you to loyal customers
Next best case: Give it free with MM to owners of the original
Barely acceptable case: sell it for a nominal fee to owners of the original ($10?)
Absolute worst case: what they are doing :messenger_tears_of_joy:
To play PS4 Spiderman: find a copy or download for $10

To play PS5 Spiderman Remastered (which many gamers already have a PS4 copy): pay $70

MrMephistoX

And this is why I’m just getting the Series X first...I will get a 5 eventually but I need to beat my exclusives backlog on PS4 first if this is True. I would have been down if I could have just continued on PS5 with hardware upgrades but now I’m a hard nope.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How about $20?

I'll even do Insomniac's work for them which if any employees are watching this thread, they can cut and paste it in Twitter in April 2021.

Good news Spidey fans!

Insomniac is pleased to announce Spiderman Remastered is now available for download on PS5 for $20!

Last edited:
How about $20?

I'll even do Insomniac's work for them which if any employees are watching this thread, they can cut and paste it in Twitter in April 2021.

Good news Spidey fans!

Insomniac is pleased to announce Spiderman Remastered is now available for download on PS5 for $20!

$10 and a bag of fruit snacks. Final offer.

LOLCats

Banned
It's a weird situation.

- There's a free Miles Morales upgrade
- If Sony/Insomniac want to make a stand the remastered game deserves a fee because they put a lot of work into it, that's fine
- Yet they paywall it behind the $70 Ultimate Edition, or you have to buy the MM game and then do a $20 upgrade which is the same as just getting $70 Ultimate right off the bat

What a money grab hoping tons of PS gamers just buy the $70 game.

And they claim no standalone version. Ok, we'll see next year if a $20 downloadable copy pops up.
i hadn't heard that about no standalone copy available. ya its bleh and just kind of a turn off... oh well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
i hadn't heard that about no standalone copy available. ya its bleh and just kind of a turn off... oh well.

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Remastered is an enhanced version of Marvel’s Spider-Man, and is included as part of Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition for the PlayStation 5. In addition, players who purchase Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales on PlayStation 4 can upgrade at no additional cost to the PS5 version of Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales and can take advantage of a paid-upgrade to download Marvel’s Spider-Man: Remastered.

There are no plans currently to offer Marvel’s-Spider-Man: Remastered as a standalone. Players with a copy of Marvel’s Spider-Man for PS4 can purchase Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition to experience Marvel’s Spider-Man: Remastered on PS5. Marvel’s Spider-Man for PS4 also will be backwards compatible on PS5.

Last edited:
So, Spider-Man Remastered on PS5 will be available separately as an optional purchase for those who purchased the standard version of Spider-Man: Miles Morales on either PS4 or PS5.

Perhaps it's best to think of Spider-Man Remastered as an add-on DLC pack for Spider-Man: Miles Morales.

I don't see how making SM remastered available only with MM is any different than when you could get FC3 classic only if you bought FC5.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I don't see how making SM remastered available only with MM is any different than when you could get FC3 classic only if you bought FC5.
Doesn’t matter. It is unnecessary and transparent cash grab exploiting a supercharged IP.

The worst part is that it’s exploiting the current and loyal user base. A kick in the nuts instead of a thank you. Not only that it sets a benchmark for the industry to follow. It’s shit and there are no two ways about it.

Doesn’t matter. It is unnecessary and transparent cash grab exploiting a supercharged IP.

The worst part is that it’s exploiting the current and loyal user base. A kick in the nuts instead of a thank you. Not only that it sets a benchmark for the industry to follow. It’s shit and there are no two ways about it.
Luckily I dont see the rest of the industry following this. I see them laughing at Sony and using this as an example of what not to do.

Luckily I dont see the rest of the industry following this. I see them laughing at Sony and using this as an example of what not to do.

FYI this isn't a double post, its a remaster. And I didn't even charge you to read it.

Give me a Ghost of Tsushima upgrade.

Also : Reminder Xbox owners are getting a Forza Horzion upgrade... A game that was released the Christmas before the last one.

Give me a break, Sony.
MS is releasing a lot of free Series X / S upgrades to Xbox One titles this fall that I bet have at least the level of enhancements that Sony is making PS4 owners of Spider-man pay an extra $50 for:

Forza Horizon 4
Forza Motorsport 8
Gears of War 5
Ori and the Willow of Wisps
Sea of a Thieves
Outer Worlds

There are more, those are just the ones from the top of my head. What is Sony doing in response? What PS5 enhancements are they going to bring to PS4 titles?

I bet the free Forza Horizon 4 enhancements are a bigger upgrade than the paid Spider-Man enhancements.

Last edited:
Top Bottom