• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms PS4 Neo, [Cites smartphone cycle, waiting until enough games post E3]

Steejee

So we went from thinking there was an off chance there could be *three* new pieces of hardware at E3 just like two months ago, to knowing (or at least being told) that there will be no new hardware and Nintendo will be focusing most everything on one game.

I'm really not sure what to expect from E3 at this point besides buckets of VR.

Ricker

No details at E3 ?...a little bummed by that but oh well,maybe it means its still like 1 or 2 years away when you can get a good 4K TV for under 1000 bucks...this is probably when I will get a new set,still happy with my 1080p Sony for now,although some sport content is starting to trickle on television(TSN in Canada through Bell and Videotron have baseball/tennis etc etc games in 4K)

Nictel

So no PS4 Neo and no NX at E3.
Any chance MS will reveal Scorpio?

No, unless they want to make sure that the PS4 Neo will have superior hardware. Which I believe is the reason for the non-reveal. To upgrade the specs some more to directly compete with the Scorpio.

The common perception was that we'd see the consoles at E3 and a release date for later this year. I'm not sure why.
For new gen consoles that makes sense. But revisions? I don't recall HW revisions like a slim being revealed too far in advance of when they're on sale. Like for 360 I think they showed up the next week or two after an E3 showing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I never expected this at E3. The time between between the unveiling and release is going to be very short. It can still come out this year.

So now its all down to MS to bring some surprises next week.

Is this just more confirmation that E3 is no longer as big as everyone thinks it is?

amdb00mer

Scared of Scorpio

I don't know if I would go as so far to say that, but I'm sure they want to make sure the tables are not turned. They will probably wait to see what specs MS puts out there and then make changes accordingly. I also agree with the one poster, that they will push PSVR at this E3. However, Sony should be careful, too much PSVR focus may turn away some gamers and feel like their version of Microsoft's Kinect push.

Rich!

DerZuhälter;206306849 said:
Aaaaaaaaaand E3 is unintersting again.

E3 stopped being interesting as soon as the NX was confirmed to be a no-show. At least we know the Neo is a higher specced PS4, theres nothing really unusual or awe inspiring about it. The NX is a true unknown and wildcard.

But alas, I've found this entire gen to be boring as shit so maybe it's just me.

Jetman

Dammit.

Well, I guess they don't want it to impact PSVR sales. The Neo was pretty much going to prevent me from buying the VR. I wasn't going to get both this year, and if it had to be one it'd have been the Neo.

Good. Show games only and don't confuse or outrage the general public. They need time to explain very well what this whole system is about and why we need it. I still think this is only going to be show at PSX.

valkyre

So now the big question is, all the games that will be demoed in E3.... what system are they going to be running?

:S

Twookie

well then

I wish they told about the ps4 neo sooner
as in long before the rumors popped up
, probably wouldnt have bought my regular ps4 otherwise, but oh well

will they announce neo versions of games this e3 though?

E3 stopped being interesting as soon as the NX was confirmed to be a no-show. At least we know the Neo is a higher specced PS4, theres nothing really unusual or awe inspiring about it. The NX is a true unknown and wildcard.

But alas, I've found this entire gen to be boring as shit so maybe it's just me.

The PS4, nothing unusual or awe-inspiring, or as I like to call it, the Spurs.

Why even confirm this? They will just lose sales until it's released. No one wants a lesser product if they know they can pay a little and get the best version. IMO, this is the wrong move to make.

Byvar

This is a good move. It means the focus will be on the games rather than on new hardware that will divide the PS4 userbase. This actually made me more excited for Sony's E3 conference. :)

vaderise

well then

I wish they told about the ps4 neo sooner
as in long before the rumors popped up
, probably wouldnt have bought my regular ps4 otherwise, but oh well

will they announce neo versions of games this e3 though?

Inb4 ''This is running on Neo, PS4 can't handle this''

If Neo is planned for an Oct/Nov release I can imagine they don't want to crater current sales for 4-5 months with people waiting on that. This kinda makes sense.

Zhao_Yun

Ah man I was hoping for an October release.
Buying the Neo day one.

It could still launch in October. They announced the PS3 Slim in mid August and it was released beginning of September. Even if the Neo is more than just a normal revision, they won't want to reveal it half a year before it launches.

LewieP

Sort of amazing that Sony are going to go into E3 with the implication that people shouldn't buy the current PS4.

Jobbs

Banned
I wonder if any upcoming AAA games demonstrated (such as Horizons) will be a higher specs version targeted to Neo

El-Suave

Is this just more confirmation that E3 is no longer as big as everyone thinks it is?

It's more confirmation that corporations aren't as stupid as some think or wish they'd be. They need to sell devices NOW, the fact that the cat's out of the bag already could jeopardize that, that's why House is making sure to say Neo will be expensive, so that people still buy PS4's now and in the future.

So who's going to rush out to buy a PS4 now. Dumb move Sony.

Although this does align with a rumor I (thought I) saw around a reveal at TGS

BibiMaghoo

Dammit.

Well, I guess they don't want it to impact PSVR sales. The Neo was pretty much going to prevent me from buying the VR. I wasn't going to get both this year, and if it had to be one it'd have been the Neo.

I think this way impacts it more. Now there will be a group of people that buy neither. I don't want to spend 350 on hardware for a worse experience, and I don't want to buy a new console, so now they get nothing.

Top Bottom