• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Controller to Be Named "Move." Bye bye Gem? truly outrageous

I like the Arc name. Sounds cool. Now I just want to see what the final design of the controller looks like. Oh, and some games would be nice too.

Elios83

ClearCELL said:
This PS Wand better be cheap like $40 - $50.

All the package (controller and camera) should cost like a game, so let's say 60$.
But if we look at the individual price of the Playstation Eye and the DS3 then....well it's not happening, we're looking at 80$ as the minimum price.
And it's a shame because I think Sony will waste the potential of this controller by making their usual mistakes... high launch price and weak launch lineup.

yurinka

Another Retarded Controller... :lol :lol Now I like this name :lol :lol :lol

Elios83 said:
All the package (controller and camera) should cost like a game, so let's say 60$.
But if we look at the individual price of the Playstation Eye and the DS3 then....well it's not happening, we're looking at 80$ as the minimum price.
And it's a shame because I think Sony will waste the potential of this controller by making their usual mistakes... high launch price and weak launch lineup.
I bet:
-Arc $50
-Bundle Arc + PsEye + showelware minigame collection $80

Even the proper prices would be $30 and $60

AndyD

aka andydumi
Elios83 said:

When bundled the price is always drastically lower. Headset plus game makes the headset only 10 bucks extra.

I imagine they will have minigame collection+eye+wand(s) at about $60 total. And a minigame collection + wand(s) at $40. Wii Play style. If they don't then it will have a tough time selling.

yurinka said:
I bet:
-Arc $40
-Bundle Arc + PsEye + showelware minigame collection $70.

In my ideal world the box you buy for $70 will come with the new Ape Escape game as a pack in (which should be both a mini game collection and a full on new Ape Escape adventure)

Anything less then that will suck in my opinion - If the new ape escape game is just the monkeys playing different sports then I will be extremely upset. We've waited too long just to play monkey golf

soco

disco stick is still the best one...

but arc is better than the other names.

although, now, when i think of the name, i imagine someone holding it making an hand motion in an arc, and going 'hAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaay'.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I thought this was going to be a bumped thread from years ago when the original PS3 controller design was shown :lol
Arc is better than Sphere or Gem anyway.

i think it's pretty obvious by now that they are leaking these code names so they can judge people's reactions before deciding on something. apparently they keep getting warmer with each new name.

arc is fine with me, but i don't think they've chosen something that's exploitable by the innernets enough yet. "another retarded controller" is pretty good, but it's not quite "why do they call it a 360..." yet.

c'mon sony marketing guys, i know you can come up with something that's both cool and has the perfect letters for legendary meme.

nocode

Sounds stupid, just like every other video game hardware name. 6 months after it comes out nobody will question the name.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Gomu Gomu said:
No thanks, I'll be calling it the PS wand.

And what wrong with Natal?
For one, a lot of people don't know the proper way to pronounce it.
The name isn't very notable either. I would say "Arc" isn't either, but then I find questioning Sony's marketing decisions vain.

heh, PS Wand sounds like "piss wand" when I say it aloud

Haunted

Surgeon Rocket said:
PS Wand sound like piss wand when I say it out loud
Fits right in!

peeasspee.gif

theBishop

Banned
I was just doing a bunch of thesaurus searches for words that I associate with motion control (kinetic, social, fun, etc), and with Sony's in particular (eye, observe, sphere, etc)...

Anyway, I came up with "Behold", which is maybe interesting. It's a verb for one thing, so it's active. It relates to vision, which incorporates the Eye Camera. And it has the word "hold" in it, which brings in the wand. Also, the presumption with "Behold" is that something interesting is about to happen.

Is this retarded?

yurinka

Gomu Gomu said:
And what wrong with Natal?
Nothing. He's refering MS mentioned Natal is a temporal codename, not the final one.
nocode said:
Sounds stupid, just like every other video game hardware name. 6 months after it comes out nobody will question the name.
True.

BTW awesome avatar, awesome game.

theBishop said:
I was just doing a bunch of thesaurus searches for words that I associate with motion control (kinetic, social, fun, etc), and with Sony's in particular (eye, observe, sphere, etc)...

Anyway, I came up with "Behold", which is maybe interesting. It's a verb for one thing, so it's active. It relates to vision, which incorporates the Eye Camera. And it has the word "hold" in it, which brings in the wand. Also, the presumption with "Behold" is that something interesting is about to happen.

Is this retarded?

i can dig it, but i can see how it would be weird to verbally emit from my mouth face when telling someone how to do something.

"no, you need to hold your behold like THIS... no... like THIS.... just here, give me the behold so i can show you how to hold it" etc.

theBishop

Banned
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i can dig it, but i can see how it would be weird to verbally emit from my mouth face when telling someone how to do something.

"no, you need to hold your behold like THIS... no... like THIS.... just here, give me the behold so i can show you how to hold it" etc.

Totally, but this isn't how we talk about the Wii either. We call it the "wiimote", and most people call it "the remote" or "wii remote" (what nintendo calls it officially). "Wii" is just branding, which is all I'm saying "Behold" is. So you'd have "Behold! Sports" or whatever. In practice, most people will probably call the thing "the wand". The first time I played Wii sports, no one told me to "wii it to the left".

KillerAJD

theBishop said:
Totally, but this isn't how we talk about the Wii either. We call it the "wiimote", and most people call it "the remote" or "wii remote" (what nintendo calls it officially). "Wii" is just branding, which is all I'm saying "Behold" is. So you'd have "Behold! Sports" or whatever. In practice, most people will probably call the thing "the wand". The first time I played Wii sports, no one told me to "wii it to the left".
Sure, but then you're talking about the hardware that plays the games, and in that case, it would be the PS3. You said it yourself, the wiimote is officially the Wii Remote to Nintendo. Now, I think the Behold stuff could be pretty awesome for marketing, but I don't think it would work as well for what the controller is actually called.

theBishop

Banned
KillerAJD said:
Sure, but then you're talking about the hardware that plays the games, and in that case, it would be the PS3. You said it yourself, the wiimote is officially the Wii Remote to Nintendo. Now, I think the Behold stuff could be pretty awesome for marketing, but I don't think it would work as well for what the controller is actually called.

Yeah, I'm most likely going to call it "the wand" regardless of what Sony dubs it.

theBishop

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
I'm not entirely sold on this thing. Can someone explain to me how it differentiates itself from the wii remote?

In a nutshell, it's just way more accurate, which allows for applications that were (are?) impossible on Wii (prior to motion+?). The E3 demo has some pretty solid examples even if they're just rough-and-dirty tech demos.

theBishop said:

true, but i still run into those awkward moments every time i play wii with friends. some pause before calling it whatever they call it, as they had to decide in their mind which sounded less weird. "no my............ wiimote...... has the heart sticker on the back of it. yours is the busted up looking one". while others just say "controller" more often than remote. it's weird that we call it that because it's not really a remote controller in the traditional sense (but is technically) as it's not a channel-changer for your tv, it's a game controlling input device. (bah, semantics, ANYWAY)

behold would be cool for the branding, but im too worried that they would just bomb like eyetoy did when they tried to brand everything. that's my biggest fear with sony's new games that require the eye/wands is that they will brand it all to hell and it will just remind consumers of the shovelware crap that they see on the wii aisles at retail.

as far as pricing is concerned, i don't think we should look at the eye's current price as an indication as to what they will price it at. there are likely to be margins on the eye, and sony's usual routine is to price their big guns under cost (lose money) for a bit while they try to get costs down. my best guess is $60 for eye/wand/PSN game(s) voucher. $40 for wand alone.

Raist

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
I'm not entirely sold on this thing. Can someone explain to me how it differentiates itself from the wii remote?

There's a couple of threads floating around discussing this at length.

cnizzle06

Banned
theBishop said:
In a nutshell, it's just way more accurate, which allows for applications that were (are?) impossible on Wii (prior to motion+?). The E3 demo has some pretty solid examples even if they're just rough-and-dirty tech demos.

Fair enough, but I thought the Wii plus gave the remote a 1 to 1 reaction.

nocode

I call the "wii remote" the controller when I'm asking for someone to had it to me. As in, hand me the controller, it's my turn. That's what all my friends and family have done as well. True, the wiimote looks like a tv controller (or remote) but I bet most people will instinctively do the same thing with Sony's ARC.

yurinka said:
BTW awesome avatar, awesome game.

Thanks, and agreed!:D

theBishop

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
Fair enough, but I thought the Wii plus gave the remote a 1 to 1 reaction.

honestly, I don't know what the motion+ adds. It seems to me that something game-changing would have to be implemented on the tracking side, not the box-at-the-end-of-the-controller side. But I have no clue.

Top Bottom