• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cuts PS5 production by 4 million units

Status
Not open for further replies.

lingpanda

Well better get a pre order locked in or may be a long wait.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Well better get a pre order locked in or may be a long wait.

Something something Takashi Mochizuki anonymous sources.

The only interesting fact here is that someone still listens to this rumor peddler.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Is that cut from the recent 10 million figure or another number?

A cut in production of that size has the potential to have a negative impact on the pricing (it will be much more expensive).

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Biggest thing missed by bloomberg article
Sony is expected to announce details such as price and release date at the PS5 related video event to be held on the 17th. Masahiro Wakasugi, an analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence, expects the cheapest case to be priced at $ 449 for a model with a disk drive and $ 399 for a model without a disk drive

if they made the disc version 449, yooooooo

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

The guy that had the 'big news on the level of a PS5 reveal' that turned out to be some crappy Sega handheld....

PlayStation said 10 million by March and he is saying 11 million as the revised downward number.
I dunno, sounds like a load of bull to me and he has done himself no favors with his past reporting.
They originally said 10 million by december then adding an extra 5 million through to march, now its 11 million solid

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Ok, let's check the facts and put things in perspective here.

1: Sony has not announced its prediction of shipments by March 2021, so you have to trust Bloomberg even for the 15 million figure (bad idea).
2: The PS4 has shipped 7.5 million units in the same period, and that's one of the most successful consoles of all time.

Now, are we going to seriously believe that someone at Sony believed the sci-fi story that PS5 would sell TWICE as much as PS4 in the same period, possibly with a higher price?

Even assuming this new 11 million figure was valid, it'd be 1.5 times as much as PS4.

Looks like to me that this particular writer is inventing anonymous sources as usual, but you believe what you believe.

THE:MILKMAN

Ok, let's check the facts and put things in perspective here.

1: Sony has not announced its prediction of shipments by March 2021, so you have to trust Bloomberg even for the 15 million figure (bad idea).
2: The PS4 has shipped 7.5 million units in the same period, and that's one of the most successful consoles of all time.

Now, are we going to seriously believe that someone at Sony believed the sci-fi story that PS5 would sell TWICE as much as PS4 in the same period, possibly with a higher price?

Even assuming this new 11 million figure was valid, it'd be 1.5 times as much as PS4.

Looks like to me that this particular writer is inventing anonymous sources as usual, but you believe what you believe.

It at least suggests Sony were going very aggressive which strongly implies a aggressive price (Bloomberg here say $399/$449).

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It at least suggests Sony were going very aggressive which strongly implies a aggressive price (Bloomberg here say $399/$449).

It suggests nothing. Let's assume $399 is real. That's the same launch price as PS4 for the cheapest unit. That's not any more aggressive than the previous generation (actually less because there's a pricier version).

And we're supposed to believe that Sony really thought PS5 would sell twice as much as PS4? really?

Claims many sources have confirmed, but only one dude is mentioned in this article. Claims they have to review the production procedure. Didn´t we already see the first PS5 to leave the production facility, not long ago ...

googl translate:
The production yield of the specially designed integrated circuit "System on Chip (SOC)", which corresponds to the heart of PS5, is not stable. Due to the non-disclosure of the information, several parties have revealed (PLURAL) it on condition of anonymity.

According to the person (SINGULAR) concerned, the yield of SOC has been sluggish at about 50%, and the production volume has to be reviewed. He said (SINGULAR) that the yield is improving, but the quality has not reached a stable level.

What is weird, without any reason he drops the following ad? in between.

US Microsoft last week, in the "Xbox (Xbox) Series X" $ 499 (Price in Japan is 49,980 yen), the "same series S" does not have a disk drive 299 US dollars (up 32,980 yen) 11 Announced to be released on the 10th of March .

Not sure what to make of it. Weird, free promo and contradictory at best. How can yield be so low at 7nm?

Not to defend this trash (because it is absolute trash), but the Japanese language does not have a difference between singular and plural. Google translate will simply translate as singular by default.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

It suggests nothing. Let's assume $399 is real. That's the same launch price as PS4 for the cheapest unit. That's not any more aggressive than the previous generation (actually less because there's a pricier version).

And we're supposed to believe that Sony really thought PS5 would sell twice as much as PS4? really?
Aggressive would be making their main unit 50 cheaper than the series X, if they undercut them with their main unit that would be huge and seen as aggressive

lingpanda

Well I responded to Sonys email to get an early chance to reserve a PS5. Here is hoping I get selected. Even more I can get the disc version.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Family always comes first, I remember when mine were that size.... I wish they still were sometimes. :)
It's amazing watching her grow and change, hasn't walked yet but almost there. So far her teething is going well "knocks on wood" she has three big ones coming in and we bought this 1 ml drop we give her thats natural and it seems to help

reinking

Gold Member
What the, if true, $699?
Or... ..from the linked article.
Sony is expected to announce details such as price and release date at a PS5-related video event on July 17. In the cheapest case, Masahiro Wakasugi, an analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence, expects the price to be 449 dollars for models with disk drives and 399 dollars for models without disk drives.

July supposed to be September? Not sure why they point to the July event.

Last edited:
People focusing on the wrong things in here, you shouldn't be worried about if you can get one or not, you should be worried about what it's going to cost.

A 50% yield rate? That's abysmal, that's probably the lowest yields of a console in history. Also this will probably net the most unstable console in history which also has the highest failure rate relative to time.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

People focusing on the wrong things in here, you shouldn't be worried about if you can get one or not, you should be worried about what it's going to cost.

A 50% yield rate? That's abysmal, that's probably the lowest yields of a console in history. Also this will probably net the most unstable console in history which also has the highest failure rate relative to time.
The 360 had a 57% failure rate, i doubt that gets beaten

DavidGzz

Bet they have a good bit more DE consoles. Cheaper and they most likely want those to sell more. Good for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom