• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony debunks Bloomberg info (again): They never planned to stop PS4 production last year, PS4 production increase not related with PS5

yurinka

Speaking to NLab, Sony Interactive Entertainment denied increasing PlayStation 4 production to deal with the current PlayStation 5 shortage.

Denying recent reports, the video game and digital entertainment division of the Japanese company noted that it had no initial plans to end production of the PS4 last year. Highlighting that any further production and sales of the console were already planned in parallel with the rollout of the PS5. Sony also noted that its release schedule of the previous-gen and next-gen console follows the introduction of previous consoles.

Earlier this week, reports claimed that Sony had originally planned to end production of new PS4 consoles by the end of 2021, but the shortage of PS5 had pushed it to move towards producing an additional million PS4 units in 2022.

Source: https://hypebeast.com/2022/1/sony-deny-increasing-ps4-production-playstation-5-shortage-report-info

Basically what we already knew: as Jimbo said at least twice, they planned to keep supporting PS4 during 3 or 4 years more after PS5 release, as they always did with previous generations. So Bloomberg was again lying and spreading FUD over Sony.

From the original source, translated from Japanese via Google Translate:
"SIE PR: It is not true that the PS4 production suspension was withdrawn due to the lack of PS5. There was no plan to end production of PS4 at the end of last year (2021). The PS4 is one of the best-selling console game consoles for SIE, and like the hardware of the past, it produces and sells both old and new hardware in parallel during the transition period of the generation."

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

you know what they stopped making... god damn controllers. I ended up using parts from 5 controllers to make 1 this week until I can find a new one. (well here in Canada anyway)

I noticed that too. I was thinking of selling my PS4 and just getting a dual shock 4 to use with PSNow on PC, but you can't find a legit unit anywhere.

tusharngf

giphy.gif

Yeah, yeah. Debunked just like with low allocation of Playstation consoles in Japan and just like with japanese studios...
I always amazed how people believe whatever Sony says like a cult.
The story never made sense in the first place.

A million ps4’s for the entire year does not make up for not being able to meet demand for ps5. Theres almost no chance any of those ps4’s will even end up in your local gamestop or bestbuy. Thats almost nothing

Last edited:

Elios83

It's not Bloomberg in general.
It's always the same author Takashi Mochizuki.
He has an obsession writing negative sensationalistic articles about Sony which are misleading in the best case, full of bullshit in the worst.
Either he has a personal grudge against the company or simply he believes that this kind of articles allow him to get the best return in terms of hits and so more money from Bloomberg.
In any case he's not professional.
He made up yield issues, shipments targets, SSDs overheating and the console needing the fan to spin faster... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
He has an obsession writing negative sensationalistic articles about Sony which are misleading in the best case, full of bullshit in the worst.

Either he has a personal grudge against the company or simply he believes that this kind of articles allow him to get the best return in terms of hits and so more money from Bloomberg.

Why do so many people on GAF love his work when he writes about Sony then?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Either he has a personal grudge with the company or simply he believes that this kind of articles allow him the best return in terms of hits and so more money from Bloomberg.

But it is Bloomberg in general. They obviously have a very lax policy when it comes to reporting rumors from anonymous sources, and that goes beyond video games. They do the same for tech and other fields of reporting. Anything goes, which pretty much makes them the laughing stock of any serious reporter.

He made up yield issues, shipments targets, SSDs overheating the console and needing the fan to spin faster... :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Ironically? Takashi tweeted in 2019 about Sony stating PS4 was key to their strategy for at least 3 years more years...that was 3 years ago and before the pandemic. It would make no sense for Sony to produce PS4 only until 2021:

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

you know what they stopped making... god damn controllers. I ended up using parts from 5 controllers to make 1 this week until I can find a new one. (well here in Canada anyway)
Can’t you buy Dualshock 4s on the Playstation direct website? It looks like they have almost every color in stock. Not sure if this is for US only but I just picked up 2 new DS4s last month. They even have the often-sold-out rose gold controller in stock.

Iced Arcade

Can’t you buy Dualshock 4s on the Playstation direct website? It looks like they have almost every color in stock. Not sure if this is for US only but I just picked up 2 new DS4s last month. They even have the often-sold-out rose gold controller in stock.

yeah unfortunately it's US only.

Last edited:

KingT731

It never made sense in the first place. Why make Horizon, God of War and Gran Turismo compatible with PS4 if they were going to stop making them so soon?
That's what happens with sensationalized articles with no knowledge on the console space. PS2 didn't stop production until 2012, PS3 was 2017 so why would they not continue to manufacture a profitable low cost unit as they have previously?

EDMIX

It is not illegal. Blatant lies are not allowed (like fake reports), but telling that everything is pretty much normal.

ok, but like many have pointed out, the original story never made sense. When the fuck has Sony STOPPED production of a home console right after they put out a new console? Historically they actually continue to support and sell past consoles for years.

So they stopped PS3 in 2017, not 2013 or 2014 or 2015.....

Dear god, PS2 production ended THE YEAR PS4 came out, let that shit sink in for bit before posting lol

They simply don't have a history of ending production RIGHT when a new system comes out, just the opposite. With PS4 being as popular as it is, you'll see it made for a good number of years. The development of PS5 systems isn't some either or for Sony where they need to end 1 to continue another or something. They'll likely keep making both so long as both have demand, but thats the way its always been with this company. I don't even fucking get the point of what you are doubting or claiming btw.

EDMIX

Its mainly because they believe in generations so it makes sense to have multiple of those for sale

I agree, but I'd say its more so based on us seeing this done for several generations by this publisher. I'd argue to stop production now would be out of character of the publisher based on how they've done this in the past.

yurinka

Its mainly because they believe in generations so it makes sense to have multiple of those for sale
Yes, in the 'we believe in generations' Jim Ryan said they were going to continue supporting PS4 during years and explained why, and never said nothing about avoiding crossgen games.

In another interview mentioned they planned to support it during 3 or 4 years after the PS5 launch. Which would match what they did with all their previous consoles.

Sure, they took this long to "debunk it" because, well... nobody told them what evil Bloomberg said to harm them :(
They debunked it when asked about it on an interview, don't need to go to quickly debunk any random fake stuff on the internet. They have more important things to do.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yes, in the 'we believe in generations' Jim Ryan said they were going to continue supporting PS4 during years and explained why, and never said nothing about avoiding crossgen games.

In another interview mentioned they planned to support it during 3 or 4 years after the PS5 launch. Which would match what they did with all their previous consoles.

They debunked it when asked about it on an interview, don't need to go to quickly debunk any random fake stuff on the internet. They have more important things to do.
Then their PR fellows didn't act quick, someone there is incompetent or management thought they rather let people believe Bloomberg for whatever reason, because the article clearly made people believe so, this thread wouldn't be news if it didn't have any effect

yurinka

Then their PR fellows didn't act quick, someone there is incompetent or management thought they rather let people believe Bloomberg for whatever reason, because the article clearly made people believe so, this thread wouldn't be news if it didn't have any effect
Bloomberg frequently lie or spread FUD and bullshit over Sony almost every time they talk about them. It would be seen as ugly and unsecure to be publicly and quickly debunking every Bloomberg lie of FUD they say about them.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I regret trading In my Berry blue ps4 controller so much when I got my ps5.

I totally forgot I needed one to play psvr titles etc. Luckily I managed to find a camo green one but it's not rhe best colour. It will do.

TheGrat1

That's what happens with sensationalized articles with no knowledge on the console space. PS2 didn't stop production until 2012, PS3 was 2017 so why would they not continue to manufacture a profitable low cost unit as they have previously?
PS1 did not stop until 2006. This would have been the fastest discontinuation of any PlayStation home console in history......and it would have been for the second best selling of them all. Even the PSP would have lasted longer so this story never made any sense. PS4 will not be discontinued until 2023 at the earliest, reported by me.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
GuyA: * Throws stick at GUYB *
GuyC: hey i just saw you throw that stick!
GuyA: no you didn't....
GuyB:.... Who to trust .....

Kataploom

Gold Member
Bloomberg frequently lie or spread FUD and bullshit over Sony almost every time they talk about them. It would be seen as ugly and unsecure to be publicly and quickly debunking every Bloomberg lie of FUD they say about them.
Yet they should have managed this if true, because we in GAF and people other boards presumed that no PS4 were being made already, I've not seen a single soul question that... They're were incompetent to deal with missinformation by not speaking earlier or are backtracking their plans since they want more money from possible PS4 owners

Eh, we'll be able to tell who's being truthful when we find out what markets those new PS4 primarily go into. If they're for the US, Europe, or Japan for instance, then that'd be pretty uncharacteristic.

Usually late-life for Sony systems is to put them in developing markets, which isn't any of the aforementioned.

Top Bottom