• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony defends decision to block crossplay: "A responsibility to our install base."

Cerium

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-cross-play-with-xbox-one-and-nintendo-switch

Sony has defended its decision to block cross-play between PS4 and Xbox One after coming under fire from gamers this week.

During its E3 2017 media briefing, Microsoft announced that cross-platform play is coming to Minecraft, one of the biggest games in the world. It means Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PC, mobile and VR Minecraft players can all play together.

And today, Nintendo announced Rocket League, another of the world's biggest games, is coming to Nintendo Switch, and developer Psyonix confirmed cross-platform play between Xbox One, Switch and Steam.

In both cases, PS4 was absent from the list of consoles available for cross-play. So what's up?
Minecraft works cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Today, Rocket League was announced as working cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Both don't work cross-platform with PlayStation. Now, is this Sony not playing ball? What is actually going on here?

Jim Ryan: It's certainly not a profound philosophical stance we have against this. We've done it in the past. We're always open to conversations with any developer or publisher who wants to talk about it. Unfortunately it's a commercial discussion between ourselves and other stakeholders, and I'm not going to get into the detail of that on this particular instance. And I can see your eyes rolling.

Well, you must see that PlayStation owners are upset. They want to play with Switch owners, PC owners and Xbox One owners for these two big and important games, and they don't have an explanation why. That's what I'm getting at, really.

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

It doesn't seem to be a problem for Nintendo, perhaps the most mindful video game company of the protection of children.

Jim Ryan: Yeah, that's true. Everybody has to take their own decisions. We'll do that. Like I say, we have no philosophical stance against cross-play at all.

Is this a done deal? Or are you leaving the door open, perhaps?

Jim Ryan: I don't think anything is ever a done deal. Anybody who is dogmatic in that manner is typically a fool. That said, to my knowledge, there is no live conversation ongoing at the moment.

So there you have it. If you're playing Minecraft or Rocket League or any other game on PS4, don't expect to play with Nintendo Switch or Xbox One owners.

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

And Sony becomes Nintendo from a decade ago. What a piss poor PR response. Just say it's to protect your shareholders irrational wishes or something and be done with it.
Especially considering this isn't just Mincraft. It's every game that they haven't moneyhatted to be PC-PS4 only.

Ulumsk

I like how they roll out Jim Ryan everytime they have potentially bad news.

faceoff.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh god they're using Nintendo's horrible excuses.

Jim Ryan seems to be the Sony exec who always says the stuff I disagree with.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Really!? That's Nintendo's excuse! AND THEY SAID YES.

KOHIPEET

Is it just me, or this actually makes sense?

EDIT: Apparently it's just me lol.

Hoje0308

Banned
"We're the market leader and hope there's a chance this limitation will force people to buy our consoles to play with their friends. Give us money, fuck you. #4theplayers"

Top Bottom