• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Denmark reposts 15 year old Crash holiday image on Facebook, CONSPIRACY?!!?!?!?

emko

Please tell me they are outsourcing this and not wasting manpower that should be working on The Last of Us 2.

how would this be wasting man power? they run a company they will do what ever they think will make them money. I am sure they could make this game with a small team and wouldn't take that much man power as all those other games they make. Playstation really needs more different games then shooters.

MormaPope

Banned
I truly believe the Crash franchise, along with the other characters are just as good as the Donkey Kong franchise (post NES).

He's a really good Mascot... but not because of the game alone... the commercials, the attitude that mirrored Sony's attitude of consoles at the time, the look... I never got into Jak and Dexter, or Rachet and Clank, or Banjo, or Spyro but along with Nights, Crash was a really good Mascot for a platfromer on exclusive Hardware.

I'll just say three out of four of those franchises are leagues better than Crash.

Syriel

This is almost at a Boon level of fan trolling.

Not quite, but almost.

Sony still has much to learn from the master.

I think I would enjoy a Crash game if it was as good as the originals and Naughty Dog, even a small team within ND were behind it maybe bring people who worked on the originals in for consultation or help.

Firstly, I really like those games and would like to experience what Crash with the attention it deserves would be capable of.

Secondly, my partner doesn't play games, not really. I think I would enjoy sitting with her and taking turns playing levels of a game like this. I might do that with Crash 2 or 3 maybe.

Fehyd

Banned
Would a sequel really work to that game? Can't they leave it as a one off?

Well, the big draw is the setting. You could still tell a new story with new characters and it'd still be a refined experience.

You've got a whole world, heck, different continents to explore. You can tell a new story with new characters in that setting.

Secondly, I'd love a new Crash game. Crash is the nostalgia to me like Mario is to other people. I was never really a big platformer either.

ReaperXL7

I know I am not the only person who does not want Naughty Dog to waste their talents on another Crash game. They are not the same studio that made those games, and if their second project after Uncharted PS4 is not a new IP I would rather TLOU2.

Let Sanzaru make a new Crash if Sony is going to push for it.

Twio

Crash should just...StayDead.

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I think most people know Crash is pretty much dead. I can't see Sony going through the trouble of getting the IP back and then producing a game that likely wouldn't even sell well, unless they promoted the hell of it, which wouldn't happen.

Realistically, I foresee Activision just adding him to Skylanders.

Motwera

Banned
I think most people know Crash is pretty much dead. I can't see Sony going through the trouble of getting the IP back and then producing a game that likely wouldn't even sell well, unless they promoted the hell of it, which wouldn't happen.

Realistically, I foresee Activision just adding him to Skylanders.

Again as a reminder, Crash will never be officially as confirmed, a Skylander..
http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/05/skylanders-swap-force-preview-and-interview-toy-story-3381219/
Control + F "Crash" and see..

KOMANI

KOMANI
I'll just say three out of four of those franchises are leagues better than Crash.

But now we're entering my opinion vs your opinion. I already saw that you'd rather have a Jak and Dexter game then a Crash. I'd rather have a Crash game before any of those. Those characters I've mentioned, with the exception of Rachet, are rip offs (in my eyes).

It comes down to nostalgia, what kind of gamer you are, what kind of gameplay the game has, and the spirit(attitude/message) of the game. I understand why you believe those characters are "leagues" better than Crash, because it's same reason I believe Crash is "leagues" better than them.

And to be perfectly honest, out of all those characters, Crash is less likely to be made, so I'm rooting for the unbelievable here. No worries Mate.

Twio

Actually, didn't Boyes post on GAF in the last Crash thread that Sony wasn't developing a Crash Game nor owned the IP? Or something along those lines?

MormaPope

Banned
But now we're entering my opinion vs your opinion. I already saw that you'd rather have a Jak and Dexter game then a Crash. I'd rather have a Crash game before any of those. Those characters I've mentioned, with the exception of Rachet, are rip offs (in my eyes).

It comes down to nostalgia, what kind of gamer you are, what kind of gameplay the game has, and the spirit(attitude/message) of the game. I understand why you believe those characters are "leagues" better than Crash, because it's same reason I believe Crash is "leagues" better than them.

And to be perfectly honest, out of all those characters, Crash is less likely to be made, so I'm rooting for the unbelievable here. No worries Mate.

I'm talking about gameplay, not character or art design. Jak and Daxter as a series did more than Crash did as a series, same with Rachet and Clank, same with Banjo and Kazooie. I've played multiple entries from each series, I've played through Crash 1&3. Gameplay wise classic Crash would probably be a middling experience, Knack 2.0.

If people are clamoring for a Mario Galaxy quality title, I don't know which Sony developer would have the expertise to do that. That's the biggest issue right now, people are shouting and screaming for Crash to come back but they aren't saying what they actually want Crash to be. Is he going to be a silent doofus again? Is he going to be a wise cracking wise guy? Would it be a complete reboot for that universe?

There isn't a lot to work with when it comes to existing Crash design. The newest Mario and Rayman aren't selling well, what would make Crash sell?

I'm talking about gameplay, not character or art design. Jak and Daxter as a series did more than Crash did as a series, same with Rachet and Clank, same as Banjo and Kazooie. I've played multiple entries from each series, I've played through Crash 1&3. Gameplay wise classic Crash would probably be a middling experience, Knack 2.0.

If people are clamoring for a Mario Galaxy quality title, I don't know which Sony developer would have the expertise to do that. That's the biggest issue right now, people are shouting and screaming for Crash to come back but they aren't saying what they actually want Crash to be. Is he going to be a silent doofus again? Is he going to be a wise cracking wise guy? Would it be a complete reboot for that universe?

There isn't a lot to work with when it comes to existing Crash design. The newest Mario and Rayman aren't selling well, what would make Crash sell?

STOP MAKING SO MUCH SENSE!

SA-X

I hate to be the cynic here but I'm stunned people think that Naughty Dog or anybody that big would put in the effort on a big AAA platformer. Let's get real, 2013 had some absolutely fantastic platformers come out. With the possible exception of 3d Mario (it will have legs) not one of them saw commercial success. Rayman Legends, Puppeteer and Tearaway are all critical successes, fantastic games and commercial flops. If there were any plans for a AAA Crash/Jax/Banjo revival they've been put on ice super quickly. They just wont sell and make absolutely zero sense for a studio like Naughty Dog to make. Why make a game that might sell 1m at most when you could make Uncharted/TLOU/new IP that would sell 5m+? The audience just isn't there on consoles anymore - most of those gamers are on mobile platforms which is why platformers do well on the ipad and the 3ds. Even console Mario seems to have lost a little steam. The best fans of these series can hope for is a downloadable PSN/XBLA game.
I doubt Naughty Dog would be the one to make it, but the examples you gave aren't really fair in terms of showing that there is no audience for platformers on consoles.

Tearaway - Released on a dead system.
Puppeteer - Classic Sony sent to die marketing. It's also not really very good as far as platforming game mechanics go.
Rayman - Would have sold much better if they released the Wii U version in February when it had a good amount of hype for it instead of delaying it to compete with all the fall games.

The Lego games all sell pretty well, we've had five Ratchet games this gen despite their supposed bomba status, DKCR sold very well, the Mario games, IMO there is still a market for a platformer with a decent marketing push released during the holidays on a system that people actually give a shit about. I don't expect it to have asscreed level production values with 600+ people working on the game, but I don't think platforming fans want that anyway.

Edit: Actually we've had six ratchet games, fair enough that only 4 of them were platformers.

Why are people so adamant to crush people hopes and dreams lol? If you didn't like crash why are you in this topic? Let people be all hopeful and shit and if it ends up false they'll cry themselves to sleep. No help from you needed.

MormaPope

Banned
Why are people so adamant to crush people hopes and dreams lol? If you didn't like crash why are you in this topic? Let people be all hopeful and shit and if it ends up false they'll cry themselves to sleep. No help from you needed.

Discourse is fun, it's better than echo chambers.

PirateKing

I'm talking about gameplay, not character or art design. Jak and Daxter as a series did more than Crash did as a series, same with Rachet and Clank, same with Banjo and Kazooie. I've played multiple entries from each series, I've played through Crash 1&3. Gameplay wise classic Crash would probably be a middling experience, Knack 2.0.

Have you played Sly 4? They are capable of making a top tier Crash game.
I think you're underestimating Crash. I have some die hard Xbox fans who would buy a Playstation if it was as good as the originals, hell even one of them has Crash as his avatar let alone almost all my gamer friends know Crash but would love to play a proper Crash game. You also underestimate the power of the Internet, my Facebook will be filled with Crash related stuff.

I'm keeping the dream alive but I hope Sanzaru Games reboots the original games and at least release a Crash Team Racing on PS4 & Vita.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I'm talking about gameplay, not character or art design. Jak and Daxter as a series did more than Crash did as a series, same with Rachet and Clank, same as Banjo and Kazooie. I've played multiple entries from each series, I've played through Crash 1&3. Gameplay wise classic Crash would probably be a middling experience, Knack 2.0.

I disagree. While Mario 64 beefed up the platformer, Crash took what we were all familiar with, and made it fun. And you can't equate two games' sales (albeit one really) on a console that's having a tough time surviving (Wii U). Limbo is a platformer and sold great for the PS3 and 360. You really want to push your opinion on me, and I'm not going to budge. For me, FOR ME, Crash has a lot of potential. I don't have a vision of what a next gen Crash game could be, because that's not my job. I'll save that for people more equipped than me. I think it's stupid for people saying Naughty Dog can't do a Crash game at this time, when the Last of Us was supposed to be a Jak and Dexter game.

correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying: It's a risk to bring back a 90's video game mascot, in a world where platformers aren't selling, with a character that's limited along with it's gameplay.

What I'm saying is, taking risks is what separates you from being a mediocre game developer and a great game developer. We're arguing over a rumor on top of a dreamer's dream. You don't share the dream, and that's fine. I don't share your thoughts either. Again, it's your opinion VS. my opinion, and it doesn't have to be that, but I seem to have given you a purpose this evening.

MormaPope

Banned
Have you played Sly 4? They are capable of making a top tier Crash game.
I think you're underestimating Crash. I have some die hard Xbox fans who would buy a Playstation if it was as good as the originals, hell even one of them has Crash as his avatar let alone almost all my gamer friends know Crash but would love to play a proper Crash game. You also underestimate the power of the Internet, my Facebook will be filled with Crash related stuff.

I'm keeping the dream alive but I hope Sanzaru Games reboots the original games and at least release a Crash Team Racing on PS4 & Vita.

If we're using friends as a form of measurement for Crash hype, the last time my friends talked about Crash was never.

MormaPope

Banned
this coming from the kid with the Breaking Bad avatar. I'm mixing it up.

Mixing what up exactly? And I'm not pushing my opinion on you, you aren't doing a great job on expanding on yours. Risk is what makes a game developer great or not? No, making games that are designed well and are fun to play is what makes a developer great. You haven't posted what you want this new Crash to be, remember Sony recently released a old school platformer that got lots of scorn. I guess Knack was risky as hell, not a great game though.

MbMVQ3d.gif

JazzmanZ

Some of the people here not wanting Naughty dog to work on a new Crash are hilarious.

Yes cuz the game is going to be terrible because it looks just like like like a Nintendo game! nooooooo!

MormaPope

Banned
Knack wasn't a old school platformer though...

Alright, it's a action platformer. Was Crash as a series not similar? I remember smashing a lot of crates and spinning into a lot of enemies.

Some of the people here not wanting Naughty dog to work on a new Crash are hilarious.

Yes cuz the game is going to be terrible because it looks just like like like a Nintendo game! nooooooo!

What the hell am I reading. First off there's nothing to look at, second off no one has hinted at this, you made that shit right up.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Mixing what up exactly? And I'm not pushing my opinion on you, you aren't doing a great job on expanding on yours. Risk is what makes a game developer great or not? No, making games that are designed well and are fun to play is what makes a developer great. You haven't posted what you want this new Crash to be, remember Sony recently released a old school platformer that got lots of scorn. I guess Knack was risky as hell, not a great game though.

I don't need post what this NEW Crash game has to be, because there is no NEW Crash game.

I don't need to expand my opinion, because my opinion is solid: You shouldn't pigeonholed game studios to what you think there limitations are.

Knack wasn't risky at all.

Before I was a member of Neogaf, I enjoyed browsing through the threads. If this next statement gets me banned, I'll continue to browse through the threads.

You are an idiot. A troll. I simply suggested we have two different thoughts on the subject, but you tried to endlessly to come on top of our debate. All I wanted was to share the joy with fellow members of Gaf on the prospect of a new Crash title. You just wanted to troll along. If I don't get banned, this will be the last interaction I have with you. Again, here is me expanding my opinion, "You're an idiot, and good luck being right all the time."

noobasuar

Banned

The fact that you call Knack "a old school platformer" makes me imagine that you've barely played a game in your life and really shouldn't be participating in this discussion.

MormaPope

Banned
I don't need post what this NEW Crash game has to be, because there is no NEW Crash game.

I don't need to expand my opinion, because my opinion is solid: You shouldn't pigeonholed game studios to what you think there limitations are.

Knack wasn't risky at all.

Before I was a member of Neogaf, I enjoyed browsing through the threads. If this next statement gets me banned, I'll continue to browse through the threads.

You are an idiot. A troll. I simply suggested we have two different thoughts on the subject, but you tried to endlessly to come on top of our debate. All I wanted was to share the joy with fellow members of Gaf on the prospect of a new Crash title. You just wanted to troll along. If I don't get banned, this will be the last interaction I have with you. Again, here is me expanding my opinion, "You're an idiot, and good luck being right all the time."

I'm sorry I offended you, I'm not being malicious at all. Expecting no one to question something that's being hyped or anticipated is entitlement though, I also really don't appreciate being called a troll for trying to discuss something. NeoGAF isn't a personal hype center, other perspectives are often displayed.

The fact that you call Knack "a old school platformer" makes me imagine that you've barely played a game in your life and really shouldn't be participating in this discussion.

Yes, I've never played a videogame because I didn't label Knack correctly or in a way you see fit. Even though multiple reviewers cited it as such and most interviews made it seem like one.

After finding out they threw around ideas of a gritty realistic Jak reboot, I don't think the naughty gods are the right developer for a new Crash. They aren't the same developer as during the PS1 days

I'm not sure if there are any developers who can successfully jump between playful and cartoony to gritty and realistic. So I wouldn't expect it from ND. Give it to Sanzaru or something

Nimby

Banned
Alright, it's a action platformer. Was Crash as a series not similar? I remember smashing a lot of crates and spinning into a lot of enemies.

Not necessarily. Sure you spin into enemies, but you can also jump onto them like that plumber from Nintendo, I don't think that would be considered an action platformer. Enemies didn't pose much of a threat anyway, the difficulty was strictly in the platforming, not action.

I would post that Fumbling in the Dark/Ruination GIF, but I don't know where to find it.

KOMANI

KOMANI
After finding out they threw around ideas of a gritty realistic Jak reboot, I don't think the naughty gods are the right developer for a new Crash. They aren't the same developer as during the PS1 days

I'm not sure if there are any developers who can successfully jump between playful and cartoony to gritty and realistic. So I wouldn't expect it from ND. Give it to Sanzaru or something

jak dexter 1 & 2?

uncharted and last of us?

Top Bottom