• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Disneys decision to cut Spider-Man; Kevin doesn’t have time to work on a non-Disney IP

sol_bad

If anyone has to come around on this it'll be Disney. There is no way in hell that Sony will give up their most successful IP.

They'll come around again in 5 years when they realised they fucked up again.
As great as Spider-Verse was, have zero faith in Silver Sable and Morbius based on how terrible Venom was.

And Venom is a really weird fil, I have no idea how it got so hyped and I can't understand it's audience score. I do know that a hell of a lot of people thought it was connected to the MCU after they saw it. But everything about the story is so dumb, the parasite starts off by wanting to eat people and then by the end of the film wants to be good because it and Tom are "lame"? The action choreography is abysmal, you literally can't tell what is happening when he is fighting the SWAT troops or in the last fight.
%&%^#&%$&*#%^#$W

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Opinions and all but you are the minority who think the MCU movies are shit compared to the Sony produced films.
Look at those audience scores.

Spider-man 67%

Spider-Man 2 82%

Spider-Man 3 51%

Amazing Spider-Man 77%

Amazing Spider-Man 2 64%

Homecoming 88%

Far From Home 95%
Like said, opinions man.
I don't need a user score to
Opinions and all but you are the minority who think the MCU movies are shit compared to the Sony produced films.

Spider-man 67%

Spider-Man 2 82%

Spider-Man 3 51%

Amazing Spider-Man 77%

Amazing Spider-Man 2 64%

Homecoming 88%

Far From Home 95%
I have yet to see Far From Home, but in the case of Homecoming.
Well I rather watch Spider Man 3.
Like I said I think he is great in Civil War
His part in Infinity was meh
And Homecoming was just OK.
But Spider-Man 1-2 Homecoming ain't touching.
I even rate TASM1-2 higher.
Don't get me wrong, Michael Keaton was fantastic in Homecoming.
Shame he wasn't in a better movie.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Regardless of who caused it, all I know is that letting this partnership go is a titanic loss for both companies.

With a bunch of the original characters gone, or moved to diminished roles, and not much tremendously exciting on the horizon, the ‘MCU’ could really use Spider-Man. Especially after five movies establishing him and connecting him to the universe, and even what seemed to be a succession plan (or at least that’s how I perceived it), with Peter kind of following in the footsteps of Tony a little bit.

Sony misses out on non-stop cross promotion with the biggest thing going in movies right now (leading them to unprecedented success with the latest installment), and the only guiding voice to create a critical, mainstream, Spider-Man success since the Raimi days (Venom is popular, and Spiderverse is good, but it’s not quite the same thing). On top of that, fair or no, they’re probably going to feel the wrath of angry fans most of all with ticket sales for the next movie.

It just seems like such a mess. The fans lose. Disney loses. Sony loses. Everyone involved needs to come back to the table and do what it takes to figure it out.

sol_bad

Like said, opinions man.
I don't need a user score to

I have yet to see Far From Home, but in the case of Homecoming.
Well I rather watch Spider Man 3.
Like I said I think he is great in Civil War
His part in Infinity was meh
And Homecoming was just OK.
But Spider-Man 1-2 Homecoming ain't touching.
I even rate TASM1-2 higher.
Don't get me wrong, Michael Keaton was fantastic in Homecoming.
Shame he wasn't in a better movie.

I unfortunately will never forgive Sony/Marc Webb/Avi Arad and all the other producers and writers for the Amazing Spider-Man films.

*The first one just straight up character assassinated Peter Parker, he promises Gwen's father that he won't involve his daughter and then at the end of the film he says the best kinds of promises are the ones you can't keep. Such a cunty thing to say.
*It's great that he has quips, but they are arsehole cunty quips, not easy going fun quips.
*Skateboarding? What the hell?
*He struggles swinging because he gets shot and then webs up his wound and magically feels 100% better.
*New York city has hundreds of cranes on building roof tops just so he can conceniently get to Lizard.
*Despite the film having a 200+ million budget, they can't show the city wide carnage of it's citizens turning into lizards, it only shows and focuses on 4 or 5 cops changing, made it feel like a C grade affair.

As for Amazing Spider-Man 2.
*His parent sub plot, why? Why is this even a thing? The comics have never been about his parents, they have never been a major primary plot apart from being LMD's.
*Tone. It has no idea what to do with it's tone, it tried copying the MCU formula and failed in spectacular fashion (much like JL). It's "comedic" moments comes across like a childs cartoon.
*Jamie Foxx's Electro is a villain straight out of the Schumacher Batman films.
*The love story was god damn Twilight level cringe.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Airbus Jr

Banned
Now..i dont really care about who made the movie wether its disney or sony...

My question is...

Does Insomniac still able to make spiderman game on playstation?

Last edited:
Reactions: RSB

TGO

I unfortunately will never forgive Sony/Marc Webb/Avi Arad and all the other producers and writers for the Amazing Spider-Man films.

*The first one just straight up character assassinated Peter Parker, he promises Gwen's father that he won't involve his daughter and then at the end of the film he says the best kinds of promises are the ones you can't keep. Such a cunty thing to say.
*It's great that he has quips, but they are arsehole cunty quips, not easy going fun quips.
*He struggles swinging because he gets shot and then webs up his wound and magically feels 100% better.
*New York city has hundreds of cranes on building roof tops just so he can conceniently get to Lizard.
*Despite the film having a 200+ million budget, they can't show the city wide carnage of it's citizens turning into lizards, it only shows and focuses on 4 or 5 cops changing, made it feel like a C grade affair.

As for Amazing Spider-Man 2.
*His parent sub plot, why? Why is this even a thing? The comics have never been about his parents, they have never been a major primary plot apart from being LMD's.
*Tone. It has no idea what to do with it's tone, it tried copying the MCU formula and failed in spectacular fashion (much like JL). It's "comedic" moments comes across like a childs cartoon.
*Jamie Foxx's Electro is a villain straight out of the Schumacher Batman films.
*The love story was god damn Twilight level cringe.

I'm surprised you can say that with a straight face with Homecomings multiple character assassinations, a villain that was a clean up guy who understands alien technology enough to make a flying suit from and turning aunt may into a milf
Seriously?
Don't get me wrong your criticism is valid, but come on.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'm surprised you can say that with a straight face with Homecomings multiple character assassinations, a villain that was a clean up guy who understands alien technology enough to make a flying suit from and turning aunt may into a milf
Seriously?
Don't get me wrong your criticism is valid, but come on.

Except Vulture didn't understand the alien technology, it was the Tinkerer who worked on and made the technology and there was a convenient "8 year" gap for them to advance to where they were. ;)
I'm not sure what character assassinations you mean in Homecoming though. young Peter Parker in the MCU is the young Peter Parker in the comics, except in the comics he looked up to and admired the Fantastic Four, in the MCU he admires Tony Stark. He is shy towards girls but not enough to not get a girlfiend and not over confident like Garfield.

As for May, yeah she is younger but her essence is still there, she even helps with a homeless fundraiser at the start of Far From Home.

Airbus Jr

Banned
No one here yet to answer a very important question

What would happened to the Insomniac spiderman game?

Do they still retain the control for the ip or they no longer have it?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
SaveSpiderManFromSony was trending on Twitter not too long ago. Looks like they were bots to generate more press.

Airbus Jr

Banned
SaveSpiderManFromSony was trending on Twitter not too long ago. Looks like they were bots to generate more press.

Never thought Disney would dare to do something like this

This is a new low for them

Never thought the company i love so much as childhood would do something terible like this

Last edited:

jesus what the hell is going on with Disney right now

The is unfukinbelievable

Theres only one movie that can describe Disney moves right now

AAAABTxh_K5NtRZ9Lb1qLZgvc9wDkE9Vb38Hgj5-unWeBKTa7hWmmbiK-fOohOvWWqP_qa4psYGMdqHcY6KWtI4RQ3JWepktpQsAPA.jpg

TGO

This is literally Disney throwing their dummy out the pram.
They sent some suits to Sony expecting to get what they want as like they always do with everyone else and Sony was like
20190824_011242qak13.gif

Their next meeting will go like
gz4zb4sk7ou01.jpg

Disney will be like
rybfkkj0i3wy.gif

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

Oh wow, Disney are worse than I thought!
She goes on ... "Whether it's Sony or someone else's, the continued evolution of Stan's characters and his legacy deserves multiple points of view."

“When my father died, no one from Marvel or Disney reached out to me. From day one, they have commoditized my father’s work and never shown him or his legacy any respect or decency.”

JC's parting words ... "In the end, no one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney's executives."
:messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:

Tesseract

Banned
haha oh wow are you guys surprised that disney sucks cocks

logan still the goat wolverine stays winning fox you magnificent bastards you did it

happy the gold is yours shooters gonna choke

Last edited:

Doom85

You MIGHT want to look a little more into her. Nothing was ever proven that she was receiving a ridiculous amount of money from Stan each month and showing ungrateful and hostile behavior if she didn't get it, but the events surrounding everything that happened certainly were suspicious. Personally I think it's likely that Stan thought, "family is family" and backed down from the document as a result, but that still wouldn't excuse her behavior if it were true.

Again, nothing proven as far as I know, but suspicious enough that I think it's fair to say we shouldn't take her words regarding her father as gospel.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

And of course this is nowhere to be seen on the /r/marvelstudios subreddit.

I mentioned before how odd it was that a low upvoted reddit post devoted to boycotting any Sony Spider-Man movie was in the trending section on reddit's homepage. If you look at reddit's trending section right now, one of the four selections is a post that only has 4.2k upvotes and 242 comments after 21 hours that says
About Spiderman. Keep talking and stay vocal because we've seen change before.

How did this post and the last post, with such low upvotes, make it into the trending section that is usually reserved for news stories or announcements? And they are posts that are very vocal about being upset with Spider-Man leaving MCU.

Atrus

Gold Member
Disney should have renewed under the same terms or bought the IP back with an offer Sony couldn’t refuse.

Trying to increase profits of a franchise that helps increase profits on your existing stable of films risks needless losses to both.

Hopefully Disney reconsiders.

Out of the two, I would rather have Sony make the films but the dancing around the characters origin stories (not even using the comic templates for Earth 616) and making the stories darker annoy me; making Venom cause mayhem in SanFran and no Spiderman was a bad idea and the Spiderverse despite being very promising felt like they jammed as many Spiderman's as possible because people want more Spiderman.

I am in the minority who loved the 2002 Spiderman and The Amazing Spiderman but I felt like Disney have a better direction on how the stories should go (lose the Quasi-Iron Man suit though)

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Pretty much spiderman hasn't been a thing anymore for a long time now.
It is now though, after the Avengers films and everything.... and all they have to do is follow the cookie-cutter Marvel formula to continue making a lot from it. I mean, Marvel films are not rocket science.... a few jokes sprinkled into a light enough story with appealing and personable characters and job done!

I'd worry more about MCU... they have very little left after End Game. Certainly nothing I'm overly interested in.

NickFire

Spider-man 67%

Spider-Man 2 82%

Spider-Man 3 51%

Amazing Spider-Man 77%

Amazing Spider-Man 2 64%

Homecoming 88%

Far From Home 95%
I've seen everyone of those in a theater and enjoyed them all. But IMO, the MCU Spider Man's were the best. The actor is just as good or better than the other two, the films themselves were awesome, and the tie into the Avengers was handled virtually perfectly (IMO).

gatti-man

The 50/50 split makes no sense cause even garbage spiderman movies make a ton. And even a good one doesn't double the overall revenue so its just better to make a garbage Sony film, than split a good partnership film.

NsZHaA8.png
amazing 2 lost money for Sony. Amazing 1 barely broke even. Sony can’t keep up with the MCUs constant cameos tie ins and audience commitment.

You’ll probably see a marked pullback in the next film from MCU diehards writing it off. Probably back to the 800 million range. If that happens Sony just fucked up big time. Because the profit lost would already pay for the portion marvel would have taken. Sony is betting they can keep the 1 billion train going on their own. They are wrong.

CJY

Banned
That's fair about the merchandising bit, wasn't aware of that element. I admit though, I really don't think toys/action figures are as relevant or sell as much as they used to and I doubt it's going to get any better as time goes on, but that would start a totally off-topic debate so let's not get into it.

For me, Comics and toys kinda go hand-in-hand. Not in an absolutist, literal sense, but they are both part of a by-gone era. The total comic industry amounts to only €1.1b, and again, that is in total - not a massive industry. Toys and physical goods in general are dying. Yeah, there is still some money to be made in licensing for other types of merchandise, but you're totally right, toys/action figures are not as relevant as they used to be, and that's a fact. Ticket sales are where it's at.

CJY

Banned
Yeah, but then you watch Venom and throw up in your mouth.
What did you not like about Venom? To my surprise, I absolutely LOVED it. The critics actually swayed me a little when it came out first, so I only saw it couple of months back and what I saw was so much fun and I can't wait for the next one and see how Spidey-verse takes shape in the future. Much more than what happens in Phase 4 of MCU anyway. That thing over there looks like absolutely shit-eating show.

CJY

Banned
Just read the whole thread so far and I didn't see anyone mentioning that Disney wants 50% rights to ALL spider-verse films, including Venom etc. That is just crazy.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Anybody interested in the official document outlining the licensing agreement between Sony and Marvel for the Film & TV rights to Spider-Man, here's the leaked document on Wikileaks.

I'm reading out of interest.

Edit -
Things I answered from reading the document:
- Whether Sony own the TV rights for Spider-Man.
- What about for animation/TV animation?
- How often does Sony have to release a film to maintain their rights.
- Which 900+ Marvel characters does Sony have the rights to.
- In general, what is allowed and not allowed in Sony's depiction of Spider-Man in film.
- Which characters are off-limits.
& loads more.

Worth a look at it if you're interested in the whole situation.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Anybody interested in the official document outlining the licensing agreement between Sony and Marvel for the Film & TV rights to Spider-Man, here's the leaked document on Wikileaks.

Edit -
Things I answered from reading the document:
- Whether Sony own the TV rights for Spider-Man.
- What about for animation/TV animation?
- How often does Sony have to release a film to maintain their rights.
- Which 900+ Marvel characters does Sony have the rights to.
- In general, what is allowed and not allowed in Sony's depiction of Spider-Man in film.
- Which characters are off-limits.
& loads more.

Worth a look at it if you're interested in the whole situation.

Just reading through some of it now.
REEEEES going to have a meltdown.
It’s stipulated that Peter Parker cannot be a homosexual.

Nvzman

Okay, you have valid criticism of the Amazing movies, but how the hell are you going to defend the MCU for character assassinating Peter Parker even harder than Amazing??? Peter Parker also never looked up to the Fantastic Four, I have no clue where you got that from. In the first couple of Amazing issues he considered joining them to pay the bills, but shortly after finding out they weren't a For-Profit organization he told them to fuck off and left. The only person he ever looked up to was Uncle Ben, and I think some issues imply he did greatly respect Captain America.
Besides, i never remember Peter parker groveling to his """""role model""""" that he needed the suit because he'd be nothing without it. That's easily the most character assassinating thing I've ever seen in any Spider-Man media, because the entire foundation of Stan Lee's vision of the character was that he was a complete loner, and simply wore a mask to hide his fear and identity from his foes. On top of that, Spidey actually makes his own suit instead of, y'know, being handed one, then getting it taken away, only to get it back with zero consequence.

Fr, I don't even like Garfield's Spider-Man but I still prefer it over Holland, as someone who only really gives a shit about 60s-90s Spider-Man (as well as early Ultimate), Holland's Spider-Man resembles absolutely nothing of his comic book self outside of appearance.

Last edited:

megamerican

After Far From Home, if that's the Marvel touch, they can keep it... Not really looking for an Avengers film with a single Avenger.

I'm glad this seems to be backfiring on Disney more than Sony.

Barnabot

If true, what in the bloody hell is going on with Disney these last few years?!

They somehow managed to bugger up Star Wars, and now seem determined to ruin Marvel, it just boggles the mind.
Maybe someone really hated Spider man 3 and then decided to make a life goal ruin Spider Man for good by joining Disney and making part of the staff which decides future of each franchise . My 2 cents.

TGO

Okay, you have valid criticism of the Amazing movies, but how the hell are you going to defend the MCU for character assassinating Peter Parker even harder than Amazing??? Peter Parker also never looked up to the Fantastic Four, I have no clue where you got that from. In the first couple of Amazing issues he considered joining them to pay the bills, but shortly after finding out they weren't a For-Profit organization he told them to fuck off and left. The only person he ever looked up to was Uncle Ben, and I think some issues imply he did greatly respect Captain America.
Besides, i never remember Peter parker groveling to his """""role model""""" that he needed the suit because he'd be nothing without it. That's easily the most character assassinating thing I've ever seen in any Spider-Man media, because the entire foundation of Stan Lee's vision of the character was that he was a complete loner, and simply wore a mask to hide his fear and identity from his foes. On top of that, Spidey actually makes his own suit instead of, y'know, being handed one, then getting it taken away, only to get it back with zero consequence.

Fr, I don't even like Garfield's Spider-Man but I still prefer it over Holland, as someone who only really gives a shit about 60s-90s Spider-Man (as well as early Ultimate), Holland's Spider-Man resembles absolutely nothing of his comic book self outside of appearance.
That was my problem with MCU Spidy.
Peter Parker is a troubled young man and even as an young Adult he is life isn't a bed of roses.
He works at an underpaid job for the guy that's prints propaganda against him just so he has a roof over his head and his love life is complicated to put it nicely.
and he struggles to balance life between Peter & Spidy.
But the lessons he learns and the loss of uncle Ben makes him stronger and realise "with great power comes great responsibility"
And most importantly he is relatable.
Tom Hollands Spidy is a whiny brat side kick
He doesn't even makes his own suit and cries when Iron Man takes it off him?!
I mean, yeah Peter is a nerd, but
MCU Peter is s little bitch.
That's what the MCU has done for Spider Man.
Even the game is better.

People shit on TASM2 but despite all the bad criticism the film showed more emotional weight and what it means to be Spider Man in it's little pinky then all 5? MCU films combined.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Tom Holland and Kevin Feige talk about the future of Spider-Man:

“Basically, we’ve made five great movies,” Holland told EW. “It’s been five amazing years. I’ve had the time of my life. Who knows what the future holds? But all I know is that I’m going to continue playing Spider-Man and having the time of my life. It’s going to be so fun, however we choose to do it. The future for Spider-Man will be different, but it will be equally as awesome and amazing, and we’ll find new ways to make it even cooler.”

Feige also spoke to EW on Saturday about his reaction to the Spider-Man news. He served as producer on Holland’s two solo films and will not produce any future films for Sony.

“I’m feeling about Spider-Man gratitude and joy,” Feige told EW. “We got to make five films within the MCU with Spider-Man: two standalone films and three with the Avengers. It was a dream that I never thought would happen. It was never meant to last forever. We knew there was a finite amount of time that we’d be able to do this, and we told the story we wanted to tell, and I’ll always be thankful for that.”

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Disney is obviously banking on the social media backlash to pressure Sony into an unfavorable deal.
Fucking Disney. Fuck off with your Disney+ crap

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned

https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/07/junderwood/1%20Corp%20Dev/Spiderman/Executive%20Summary%20of%20All%20Deal%20Points/Executive%20Summary%20%28Creative%29.pdf
Seems this is a bit dated.

Non-Exclusive To SPE. SPE and Marvel share the following:
“Kingpin” and related characters listed on the attached Schedule 7B, but SPE may not use any of these until after Fox’s production rights to Daredevil expire. Marvel’s use of Kingpin is restricted to use in connection with Daredevil and other characters with which he appeared prior to 9/15/11.
So seeing as Fox got bought up by Disney, I assume those Daredevil rights will never expire, so Sony can never use Kingpin in Spiderman?

Top Bottom