• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doesn't allow Fallout 4/Skyrim mods on PS4

Scorpio looking more and more promising with every day. First Neo being underwhelming and now this... I'm a sad panda =(

Would love to hear Sony's side of the story though.

leeh

PC mods already have to be updated to support the consoles it wasn't a one to one conversion or anything to start with. How would it make Beth look bad they could release it with limits and announce what they already have Sony limits their capabilities. That way they point everyone at Sony without punishing the ps4 players.
No, you don't. The Xbox just has a 2GB limit. There's no extra support which has to be baked in. For example, the Xbox supports all the same graphical mods which are on PC even if it tanks performance.

Whatever got written up and agreed between the two parties will of essentially creating this all or nothing scenario. From the looks of it, Bethesda wanted untangible full support for mods, and they couldn't support that, so they backed out. If Bethesda come out and say, sorry mod contributors but you need to do these set of tasks which these propitiatory tools to get your mod on the PS4, you're going to piss off the creators, piss off people playing the game and just make yourself look bad for what seems to be a half-baked solution what you yourself have implemented rather than the restriction of the platform holder.

The PR statement which we got a while back about this would of been a reactionary response from Bethesda to go public to try and kick-start Sony into giving them what they needed, and even that didn't make them.

Wereroku

That is why you don't announce something before it is set in stone

They weren't really concerned about the PS4 version when it was first announced so I doubt they had even started work on it until the XBO version was working.

No, you don't. The Xbox just has a 2GB limit. There's no extra support which has to be baked in. The Xbox supports all the same graphical mods which are on PC even if it tanks performance.

Whatever got written up and agreed between the two parties will of essentially creating this all or nothing scenario. From the looks of it, Bethesda wanted untangible full support for mods, and they couldn't support that, so they backed out.

Work clearly has to be done on them since you can't just load a pc mod on the XBO. They could easily allow mods that fit within the parameters on PS4 within the limitations they just don't want to so they can strong arm Sony into fitting within their system. Sony is at fault for the limits but Beth isn't being some savior for the consumer by holding mod support hostage.

I just don't understand why they agreed they would do it if they knew what the file size limit was and about the proprietary audio and texture system. Some really bad communication had to have happened in the early stages of this.

I just don't understand why they agreed they would do it if they knew what the file size limit was and about the proprietary audio and texture system. Some really bad communication had to have happened in the early stages of this.
It did. Sony initially agreed to work with them to get mods to work and then as time progressed they refused to actually work with them.

HardRojo

Wow, that's really bad for people interested in the feature. A shame they couldn't overcome those hurdles, hopefully things will change in the future but that seems unlikely.

Start? The start was when they didn't have PS1 backwards compatibility even though it's 100% software.

The start was when PS2 on PS4 titles didn't recognize the same title you had bought on the PS3, not even a paltry discount.

The start was when they increased the price of PS+ without increasing benefits.

The start was when they still haven't let you actually buy a game that you 'own' with PS+, leading people who wanted to buy Mickey's Castle of Illusion on PSN fucked and forever tied to requiring PS+ to play it, effectively making it a time bomb.

The start was when they revealed the PS4Pro wouldn't play movies in 4K, just games.

The start was when Rocket League cross-platform multiplayer was working for everyone but Sony.

When will it start for you?

There's only so many times you can shift the blame elsewhere before it looks like they're doing nothing but shifting blame.

Perfect post. "Goodwill" is a funny term in business and only goes as far as what's needed to win customers, its not an olive branch the way most people think it means. It just so happens that MS's goodwill falls in line with their network and how everything is connected.

It may have started slow and the pr had never been rock solid or made sense for a lot of people but everyone is finally starting to see the reason why MS has made those decisions.

Without that azure network and backbone, its going to be more and more apparent that Sony can't offer anything close to this.

Plasma

Banned
great move from sony

i don't want PC features on consoles, it's bad enough that they are bringing early access crab
Maybe your sarcastic wit is going over my head but what part of this is great? As somebody who regularly mods games on the PC I can tell you first hand that it helps to breathe new life into games and can make them far more enjoyable than their original release.

It's a real shame this isn't happening I think more so that it's taken this long to get the message out. I would imagine there are more than a few people who bought the game expecting mods down the line.

At least they allowed cross platform play between xb1 and ps4 for rocket league. It should make titanfall 2 more fun.

Err, no they didn't? You can play cross platform between xb1 and PC. The devs have it ready for PS4 too but Sony hasn't given the go ahead. And this looks like they won't.

Interesting comment from Sony chat just now - "we will not allow modified content on our system". Seems very hard and blunt on their end.

Tygamr

That's pretty disappointing. Between this and the PS4 Pro, I'm glad that I switched to primarily gaming on PC. Sony is just dropping the ball lately.

Wow - really? Bethesda more at fault than Sony?

Words fail.
Actually, it is. I was just forwarded this from a very strong source.

untitled-11nuc7.jpg

Mods on PS4 and Xbox would be a complete mess anyway.
I expect lots of corrupted save games, framerate issues and gamebreaking bugs to go along with modded BETHESDA games on a fucking CONSOLE.
Those who modded Skyrim, Fallout etc. on PC know that you can easily fuck up your game if you're not careful and don't apply mods correctly. It's going to be even more of a disaster on consoles. I don't know what Bethesda is expecting.
Mods have been on Xbox for months, they work great too. I've had the odd issue here and there but that's to be expected.

This sucks for ps4 only owners, mods have freshened up Fallout 4 for me.

pLow7

Typical Gaf overeactions. 90% of PS4 Users don't mod anyways so it's not a huge deal for Sony.
Furthermore i don't think they simply don't allow it because they don't want to.Let's listen to what they have to say before we sink the ship.

Tagavaka

Neo Member
This is truly the first time this gen that Sony has actually disappointed me

I was looking forward to those mods and putting off playing Fallout 4

Papacheeks

Banned
arrogant sony is slowly coming back it seems

first not allowing cross platform play when xb1 is open to it, then raising price of PS+ even though the network still goes down far too often, now this

Cross platform has been a thing for a while and Sony was the one that had it first on their console for a lot of their games for PS3 TO PS4 TO PC.

It's just they may not have the greatest backend when working to get it to play with Microsoft's.

Typical Gaf overeactions. 90% of PS4 Users don't mod anyways so it's not a huge deal for Sony.
Furthermore i don't think they simply don't allow it because they don't want to.Let's listen to what they have to say before we sink the ship.

Actually, 100% of them don't. Hurrhurr.

mcrommert

Banned
I know it has been said to death already...but this really does feel like the return of arrogant Sony...or Microsoft in 360 times with not allowing anything on their network they didn't vet

Cels

Err, no they didn't? You can play cross platform between xb1 and PC. The devs have it ready for PS4 too but Sony hasn't given the go ahead. And this looks like they won't.

you could play cross platform on ps4/pc well before xb1/pc was in the picture

the problem is sony refuses to allow ps4 to interface with xb1, for whatever reason, even though many players want the feature

It's just they may not have the greatest backend when working to get it to play with Microsoft's.

it's not a technology issue, psyonix has come out and said they the technology all works, and it's a matter of getting all parties (AKA sony, since microsoft is on board) to approve it and, to use their metaphor, flipping a switch.

http://gamingbolt.com/rocket-league...rm-play-technically-it-was-not-that-difficult

leeh

Work clearly has to be done on them since you can't just load a pc mod on the XBO. They could easily allow mods that fit within the parameters on PS4 within the limitations they just don't want to so they can strong arm Sony into fitting within their system. Sony is at fault for the limits but Beth isn't being some savior for the consumer by holding mod support hostage.
No. When mods were supported on X1, literally, you had the full marketplace.

Google it. The only issues that mod creators had was that they couldn't test their mods on console prior and feared for tanking performance on the consoles. Other issues like official marketplace features, stupid mod requests etc etc.

Edit: I did it for you https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/06/fallout-4-mods-pc-vs-console.html

watership

I feel like Sony is slowly undoing all of the goodwill that they have created since they first launched the PS4. They need to smarten up.

You know what they would say to that? "What are you going to do? Buy a Xbox?" They know that the PR disaster from the X1 launch is still dominating this generation, they don't have to worry about losing sales over this. They may piss a few off, not offer features, but the core will support them and their lead will not diminish.

dubq

I don't know why you get that sinking feeling, because there is absolutely zero to suggest they would follow this kind of gameplan. But hey don't let that get in the way of a baseless conspiracy theory.

Hey dude, no need to get snippy. It's hardly a conspiracy theory to suggest that a corporation whose sole existence is to drive sales and profit would want to push features to their brand new toy that hits the market in two months.

pLow7

You know what they would say to that? "What are you going to do? Buy a Xbox?" They know that the PR disaster from the X1 launch is still dominating this generation, they don't have to worry about losing sales over this. They may piss a few off, not offer features, but the core will support them and their lead will not diminish.

this. People here are making a huge deal of this, as if mod support was a current beloved feature on consoles and now Sony decided to remove it.

is this Sony's way of saying fuck you to Bethesda's shitty handling of the PS3's version of Skyrim? Still haven't forgiven them for that.
The only people getting fucked here are PS4 owners who wanted mods in Fallout 4 (and Skyrim). In what way does this fuck Bethesda?

Wereroku

No. When mods were supported on X1, literally, you had the full marketplace.

Google it. The only issues that mod creators had was that they couldn't test their mods on console prior and feared for tanking performance on the consoles.

No it doesn't it has to be approved for the XBO on the marketplace. Some work is done on it even if it is just testing and checking for nudity or ip stuff.

Check it out

The mods between PC and XBO have different versions you aren't just loading the pc mod. Other work is done as well. Funny that they have a section for PS4 are those the ones that work within the restrictions?

cheezcake

Actually, it is. I was just forwarded this from a very strong source.

untitled-11nuc7.jpg

lolwut, asking the dev to QA every single mod published for PS4 is absolutely ridiculous. If that's the stance Sony were gonna take they should've just refused from the start, it's practically impossible for any dev to comply.

Top Bottom