• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony earned the trust of gamers. MS still has work to do.

Shin

Banned
I agree but for different reasons.
Xbox is hit and miss (original was ok, X360 was amazing, XO was bad, XS will be good again I think).
PlayStation went from 1 > 2 then they botched 3, at the end they managed to make it things healthier (price/games, etc).
That back to back from PS1 to PS2 played a big hand, not to mention it isn't Sony's 1st party games that delivered that success but 2nd and 3rd parties as WWS's role was minuscule at that point.

Xbox is doing great things IMO, I like it and they've gained my trust (only console I've gamed on has been a PlayStation since PS1)
But doing great things alone isn't enough, they need to win over 2nd and 3rd parties as well in order to have a vast variety of titles and genre's.
That is what will win over the consumer's trust, as it stands the platform holder has a clear vision and is innovative and they as hell can design a machine.

Looking at the recent sales leak world wide is not a lost cause per say, NA/UK they are practically toe to to with PlayStation despite a 50m+ user base difference.
Good thing takes time, as long as they keep building on top the current blocks and don't have too many setbacks or throw away whatever trust consumers have gained they'll do well.

Kanton

To me its the other way around, MS have left the weak TVbox flop behind and are going for power and expensive hardware with a hardcore controller and i am sure the games will follow in the same direction. While Sony on the other hand are going for consumer friendly prices and single player cinematic walkthrough sims for the ultra casual. It feels that Sony are trying to sell games mostly (MOSTLY) to the masses and not the enthusiast. Im sure the best Napolitan pizza baker will make more money putting their name on a Nestlé frozen pizza, i fucking hate frozen pizza and couldnt give a shit about Nestlé revenue, sorry Sony revenue. This might be the first Sony console i don`t own.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
To me its the other way around, MS have left the weak TVbox flop behind and are going for power and expensive hardware with a hardcore controller and i am sure the games will follow in the same direction. While Sony on the other hand are going for consumer friendly prices and single player cinematic walkthrough sims for the ultra casual. It feels that Sony are trying to sell games mostly (MOSTLY) to the masses and not the enthusiast. Im sure the best Napolitan pizza baker will make more money putting their name on a Nestlé frozen pizza, i fucking hate frozen pizza and couldnt give a shit about Nestlé revenue, sorry Sony revenue. This might be the first Sony console i don`t own.

The enthousiast is a small group. If that's really the case, then we all know why the Xbox consoles don't really sell in general. You want to hit the mass market and not only the "enthausiast nerds looking at TF's all day".

So Sony is doing a great job after all.

Jason28

Has a tiny dick and smaller e-peen
Depends on your interests don’t it, driving?then Xbox killed it more this gen. online multiplayer games? Xbox killed it over sony
It depends, but just look at the sales of software and hardware, Sony killed it this gen. Sales = interest from consumers

Smasher89

Every company has earned misttrust recently, so day 1 consoles are easy skips for me. Just look at first half of the 1st party output last year and this year from nintendo, and you would expect it would be early release still for the switch.

Microsoft I just concider 3rd/4th party now, and sony gives less and less value over time, i mean has there been any games since the incredible year with hzd?, They even skip E3.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It depends, but just look at the sales of software and hardware, Sony killed it this gen. Sales = interest from consumers
So you were talking about quantity vs quality and that you are not interested in quantity and when someone replies, you do 180 and stats talking about how much game sales there was? Amazing. So you are playing game sales?

Before even clicking on this thread I KNEW it was just a low effort console warrior post. It wasn’t an article or something.

Just some low-life fanboy who got wet eyes after seeing the 12TFLOPs and RDNA 2.0 reveal.

Seriously, there is no such thing as „loyalty“ and „trust“ in gaming. Gamers don’t give A SHIT about that.

Two things that matter most:

- PRICE
- Power

That’s it. Everything else doesn’t matter.

Sony only won because they had a console that was $100 less AND more powerful.

This gen it might actually be the other way around and YOU WILL SEE that gamers don’t give a shit about loyalty and trust, they will get what gives them the most bang for a buck. And that’s it.

Not everyone is a console warrior. Especially outside of this forum, which is like 99.9999% of ALL gamers around the globe. Those people don’t give a flying fuck about loyalty and trust.
Only hardcore gamers, who are a small percentage of all gamers.
You realize you're saying this to someone who only has an Xbox right. I'm just being realistic about the situation. Unfortunately there haven't been any new exciting exclusive franchises that were started this gen. So I can see why it would be a struggle to get some people on board for next gen.

Butz

Banned
Like it or not, MS is doing all the right things, but they haven't proven they can deliver on the games yet. E3 is going to be the most important conference for them.

We know they have new studios, but that doesn't mean any of the games will be good. Once these studios start announcing and delivering quality experiences the narrative will change. Until then it is still a wait and see moment for a lot of gamers.

Power will get the hardcore and tech enthusiasts, but they need to show the diversity and quality of games that will grasp the mindset of gamers. Until then, it's Sony generation to lose.

Well, gotta be honest, in terms of what kind of developers MS has, they're a lot more diverse than Sony at the moment, who are even making Housemarque do some "cinematic" TPS bs..

If those games from Playground and Initiative are good (and they should, as they're MS best studios on paper) then MS will have a big chance, especially when they shill GamePass some more.

Yeah OP let's all ignore

the tons and tons of free 4k updates.
Backwards compatible program.
Even xbox og games.
Elite controllers.
Gamepass
Pc&Console share in licence
crossplay
Mouse keyboard support
XCloud

If any company did a complete 180
It's microsoft. 🤣
They did no one is denying that.

PS Plus isn't worse now? Guess I must have imagined the PS3...

Also, are you talking about the first half of the generation when they were still including PS3 and PS Vita games, offering double or triple the amount of games each month compared the what they do now? The same first half of the generation where PS Plus was also cheaper? That first half of the generation?

You must live in a different reality then. Well, I'm sure in that reality the Gravity Rush 2 servers are still up and running too. Well now I'm jealous.
Yes, that first half, or do you have fond memories playing Indies 90% of the time? That first half, gotta love OlliOlli2, Stick it to the Man, TowerFall... with some gems like when Rocket League launched.

This second half has been mostly AAA games, because the Vita games aren't holding it back anymore. You know, their dead handheld that was failing during all that time? That Vita.

But yes, how dare they shut down the servers for a failed game that didn't meet sales expectations, let's get onto them for Driveclub too while we're at it. I kid, it's inexcusable, absolutely, I never played the online for that game but I would hate to feel like one of my favorite exclusive games had a big feature taken away, so I feel for you on that and Sony deserves criticism for not sticking with it. That's online for you, we'll definitely be seeing more of that this upcoming generation.

Yeah OP let's all ignore

the tons and tons of free 4k updates.
Backwards compatible program.
Even xbox og games.
Elite controllers.
Gamepass
Pc&Console share in licence
crossplay
Mouse keyboard support
XCloud

If any company did a complete 180
It's microsoft. 🤣
Their only big 180 they needed were first party exclusive games, of course patches are going to be free though so I don't get the big deal behind free 4k updates personally. Whether those features are big or not is debatable, although BC was and still is huge, a good chunk of this generation were also cosmetic controllers. Why are these things more important than their first party studios making more games? Because they limited their 3 biggest studios to one IP each.

One thing that can't be debated is that these features are going to solidify them for the next generation and they can now go all-in with them, so not to discredit them or anything.

so why did all the people who had the 360 jump ship early this gen? no exclusive games whatsoever back then. yes when the x came out they were people swapping ps4 to the x, but Sony already had the sales.

power was the major factor in in ps4 at the beginning of this gen, look at all the digital foundry vids
I disagree, a niche YouTube channel didn't drive up PS4's sales with resolution gate. People with 360's jumped ship because the PS4 had less limited features, better first party studios, etc. By this logic, the power of the cloud should have swayed everyone. The first year was slow, Infamous was delayed to March and TLOUR and LBP3 were the only other two exclusives I know of for that year, but TLOU certainly made PS4 sales skyrocket. And what about the MCC? That certainly drove Xbox One sales up.

Last edited:
Yeah, Sony really earned the trust of gamers with their censorship policies, making them look even worse than Nintendo.

Sony locking online multiplayer with the launch of PS4 also gained lots of trust. God knows what they'll come up with for the launch of their new console. lol

Removing VITA and PS3 games from PS+, while also delivering only subpar games ever since is another thing... and let's not forget their crossplay stance.

Sony has delivered some great games, yes, but they certainly did not earn trust.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Trust? I don't trust companies. I trust that they will be around in ten years so I don't lose my digital library, but that's about as far as my trust in them goes. They want my money. I want their devices. It's a deal. I make my decision based on things I know, not based on if I can trust them. Do I trust someone that kills all servers for a game five years after its launch? Hell no. Do I trust someone that threatens DRM abuse? Hell no. If you trust Sony or Microsoft, you are delusional. They are reliable as long as they make money.

RSB

Banned
Yes, that first half, or do you have fond memories playing Indies 90% of the time? That first half, gotta love OlliOlli2, Stick it to the Man, TowerFall... with some gems like when Rocket League launched.

This second half has been mostly AAA games, because the Vita games aren't holding it back anymore. You know, their dead handheld that was failing during all that time? That Vita.
I don't mind indie games, I quite enjoy them in fact. Some of the best games this gen have been indie titles (Celeste, Undertale, Hollow Knight...) and most AAA games are not that great IMO, they tend to be very safe and homogenous.

Anyway, no matter what you think about indie games, the fact remains that PS Plus has gotten worse over time (less games per month, more expensive) Sony could have decided to offer more PS4 games per month when they stopped with the PS3 and the Vita, but nope, let's increase the price of PS Plus subscriptions instead. FOR THE PLAYERS.

But yes, how dare they shut down the servers for a failed game that didn't meet sales expectations, let's get onto them for Driveclub too while we're at it. I kid, it's inexcusable, absolutely, I never played the online for that game but I would hate to feel like one of my favorite exclusive games had a big feature taken away, so I feel for you on that and Sony deserves criticism for not sticking with it. That's online for you, we'll definitely be seeing more of that this upcoming generation.
That's online for you? Sure, I guess that explains it. That's why random third party games from 2006 still have their matchmaking servers running on Xbox 360, while Sony shuts down the servers of one of their first party titles after only 18 months (and again, that was after the backlash, originally they were going to shut them down after only 12 months) Makes complete sense, really, Sony truly had no option, because "that's online for you"

Edit: Also, for something you yourself say it's inexcusable, it sure seems like you're trying to excuse it.

Last edited:
Sony earned shit. They won with PS4 because Xbox One was all about DRM and Don Matrick was (?!) an asshole at the start so it was more a thing of "let's use against themselves", which is not a wrong move, so yeah

But Sony is no flower to smell. They still are fishy about online stuff, cross play, security and etc. They're more of a "show off", presenting games that are too early in development, and PS Plus still is not that great even thou they treat like it is
401059.jpg

The Alien

Banned
Power has never been that much of a factor in console sales, especially this generation. Notice how console sales go up in NPD when exclusives release.

By this logic, the Xbox One X would have made Xbox One catch up to PS4.
One could make the arguement that power matters at launch.

It feels like the PS4's launch strategy was power. Knack wasn't selling those consoles. XBox had a much better collection of launch titles for the One than Sony did for the PS4.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Their only big 180 they needed were first party exclusive games, of course patches are going to be free though so I don't get the big deal behind free 4k updates personally. Whether those features are big or not is debatable, although BC was and still is huge, a good chunk of this generation were also cosmetic controllers. Why are these things more important than their first party studios making more games? Because they limited their 3 biggest studios to one IP each.

One thing that can't be debated is that these features are going to solidify them for the next generation and they can now go all-in with them, so not to discredit them or anything.

I disagree, a niche YouTube channel didn't drive up PS4's sales with resolution gate. People with 360's jumped ship because the PS4 had less limited features, better first party studios, etc. By this logic, the power of the cloud should have swayed everyone. The first year was slow, Infamous was delayed to March and TLOUR and LBP3 were the only other two exclusives I know of for that year, but TLOU certainly made PS4 sales skyrocket. And what about the MCC? That certainly drove Xbox One sales up.
so what first party games at launch were better that drove people away, I agree xbox fucked up there message and have turned it around throughout this gen

One could make the arguement that power matters at launch.

It feels like the PS4's launch strategy was power. Knack wasn't selling those consoles. XBox had a much better collection of launch titles for the One than Sony did for the PS4.
I disagree, both were pretty mediocre but at least PS4 had Resogun.

so what first party games at launch were better that drove people away, I agree xbox fucked up there message and have turned it around throughout this gen
Lack of exclusives drove people away from Xbox One and towards the PS4.

Xbox One didn't have a single first party exclusive at launch. In the first couple of months, PS4 had Infamous.

I don't mind indie games, I quite enjoy them in fact. Some of the best games this gen have been indie titles (Celeste, Undertale, Hollow Knight...) and most AAA games are not that great IMO, they tend to be very safe and homogenous.

Anyway, no matter what you think about indie games, the fact remains that PS Plus has gotten worse over time (less games per month, more expensive) Sony could have decided to offer more PS4 games per month when they stopped with the PS3 and the Vita, but nope, let's increase the price of PS Plus subscriptions instead. FOR THE PLAYERS.

That's online for you? Sure, I guess that explains it. That's why random third party games from 2006 still have their matchmaking servers running on Xbox 360, while Sony shuts down the servers of one of their first party titles after only 18 months (and again, that was after the backlash, originally they were going to shut them down after only 12 months) Makes complete sense, really, Sony truly had no option, because "that's online for you"

Edit: Also, for something you yourself say it's inexcusable, it sure seems like you're trying to excuse it.

No, it's not a fact. I mind Indie games mostly not being good, especially on a service that costs $50-60 per year, where we were getting smaller titles like Stick It to the Man while the PS3 was getting AAA games like Yakuza. You may seen more of a quantity guy, but I'm more of an in-between guy, and overall for that first half it was weak. Doesn't matter how many systems the games were on, the service sucked, in fact, the games have only gotten better on the service where we get at least 1 AAA game per month, this month being SOTC, but yeah, let's go back to getting 2D sidescrollers that could run on a Flash Player and call it "value". No matter what you say about AAA games, the fact remains that they're always better than some Adventure game that wants to act like it's from 1995, and this is coming from somebody who understands Indies and their place in the industry and has said the same things as you for specific reasons so really you're preaching to the choir.

Those online games also either had their servers shut down years later, or they're going to be shut down eventually. My comment was more general banter about online gaming, as all it has done to evolve was shove MTX down our throats and create predatory business practices in general.

Not an excuse, just trying to make sense out of it. I mean, Sony are the bad guys in this regard for shutting down the servers for a failed game?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Microsoft is up and down, they're totally different than when they originally got into the gaming industry, apps, and streaming is winning now for Microsoft, now they're wannabe gamers.

JLB

Banned
Trust? In a damn corporation? I mean, Im the most libertarian, pro free market dude around here. But trust and a corporations are things that should not go hand by hand ever.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I disagree, both were pretty mediocre but at least PS4 had Resogun.

Lack of exclusives drove people away from Xbox One and towards the PS4.

Xbox One didn't have a single first party exclusive at launch. In the first couple of months, PS4 had Infamous.

No, it's not a fact. I mind Indie games mostly not being good, especially on a service that costs $50-60 per year, where we were getting smaller titles like Stick It to the Man while the PS3 was getting AAA games like Yakuza. You may seen more of a quantity guy, but I'm more of an in-between guy, and overall for that first half it was weak. Doesn't matter how many systems the games were on, the service sucked, in fact, the games have only gotten better on the service where we get at least 1 AAA game per month, this month being SOTC, but yeah, let's go back to getting 2D sidescrollers that could run on a Flash Player and call it "value". No matter what you say about AAA games, the fact remains that they're always better than some Adventure game that wants to act like it's from 1995, and this is coming from somebody who understands Indies and their place in the industry and has said the same things as you for specific reasons so really you're preaching to the choir.

Those online games also either had their servers shut down years later, or they're going to be shut down eventually. My comment was more general banter about online gaming, as all it has done to evolve was shove MTX down our throats and create predatory business practices in general.

Not an excuse, just trying to make sense out of it. I mean, Sony are the bad guys in this regard for shutting down the servers for a failed game?
So I am imagining forza 5 , killer instinct were not first party when they launched day one on Xbox?

RSB

Banned
Playstation Plus is more expensive and offers less games per month than it did at the start of the generation. This is an undeniable fact.

If you think the games they offer now are much better than they used to be when they offered twice or three times the amount of games per month (and for less money) then I'm glad for you. It's definitely not how I percieve it, though. IMO they didn't improve the quality of the games they offer, which coupled with the fact that it costs more money while offering less games per month, makes the current PS Plus the worst it's ever been.

There are several last gen games that failed completely and/or that nobody plays anymore, that somehow manage to still have their servers online after 12+ years. Sony, a multimillion dollar company, the console market leader, should do much better than having the servers for a first party game shut down after 12/18 months. Also, you keep saying you are not making excuses for Sony, yet immediately after that's exactly what you do... :unsure:

Aranea

Sony did earn the community trust for most people during those days and that is indeed truth. However ever since 2017 they been doing weird stuff such as not wanting to implement crossplay (it happened after a lot of demand), the whole censorship on niche titles and other stuff. Sony has a lot to lose if they somehow screw the PS5 launch. The console price will likely be a huge factor as parents usually buy the cheaper console for their kids.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
lol, the "trust Sony" thing is so hilarious.. does everyone forget all the shitty DRM and other practices Sony had for literally decades?

Trust none of these companies..

Gamernyc78

Banned
Sony earned shit. They won with PS4 because Xbox One was all about DRM and Don Matrick was (?!) an asshole at the start so it was more a thing of "let's use against themselves", which is not a wrong move, so yeah

But Sony is no flower to smell. They still are fishy about online stuff, cross play, security and etc. They're more of a "show off", presenting games that are too early in development, and PS Plus still is not that great even thou they treat like it is

Trash post of the day. There is always at least one. I can dismantle your whole post but I'm tired of sonning most of the Xbox fanboys all day lol 😂 😂 😂

Gamernyc78

Banned
Sony's shitty network compromised over 77 million accounts and took the PSN offline for a month.

They didn't earn shit. I still don't trust them.

No trust Microsoft with the biggest console failure rate in history thy tried to deny until forced to acknowledge due to the impending class action lawsuit. Or trust them when thy said Crackdown 3 would be Uber cool and the videos looked nothing like the final result. Or when thy said thy couldnt remove kinect due to be embedded with the os lol but quickly removed it when getting spanked in sales. Or the fake kinect videos tht showed kinect being precise buttttt lol I can go on for days.

I'll tell you one thing compared to Microsoft Sony is a saint😂😂😂

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
No trust Microsoft with the biggest console failure rate in history thy tried to deny until forced to acknowledge due to the impending class action lawsuit. Or trust them when thy said Crackdown 3 would be Uber cool and the videos looked nothing like the final result. Or when thy said thy couldnt remove kinect due to be embedded with the os lol but quickly removed it when getting spanked in sales. Or the fake kinect videos tht showed kinect being precise buttttt lol I can go on for days.

I'll tell you one thing compared to Microsoft Sony is a saint😂😂😂

To be fair, none of those compare to leaking my bank details.....

Yea sure LOL
lackluster support for 3rd party peripherals and built in gimmicks like six axis the Gun con on the ps3, eye toy, eye of judgement,Ps move, Ps3 3d support, Touch pad and light par on the ps4, Ps vita's Ar camera and rearch touch pad.
Increasing PS plus while offering some of the worst games imaginable and have a discount that is barely worth the subscription at all.
Killing on the vita Eu and State side and not gving us the rest of the games that japan got also canning the ambassador program that let you transfer your physical psp games to the ps vita.
The over priced Memory cards on the vita that were suppose to stop piracy.
a $599 system in a down ecconomy and having the nerve to tell people to get a 2nd job.
The ps3 hack that shut psn off for a good month and leaked people personal info all over the web.
Them removing the BC on later ps3 to re sell you games you alreay own.
ps4 1st party and 3rd part censorship on Jp games.
Them telling Jp devs and publisher to get bent when these are the people that literally made your brand.
Locking BC behind the trash know as ps now.
Making you re buy any and all PS1,PS2,Ps vita and Ps3 games for a 2nd/3rd time on the ps4.
Lack of crossplay for there 1st part fighting games.
Shutting down the online of Drive club and Gravity rush 2 before the gen is even over.
Closing down studios like Evolution,Liverpool,zipper and half of studio japan. But manages to find money to pay for irrelevant cod and fortnight deals.

The only thing sony is good for is that fact that the ps4 can play new and used the game system sucks if you dont care about any of there in house western titles.

SebastianM

'trust' in mega corporations lol

they provide a box with services that I use from time to time, that's all.

Whoever presents the better box gets my money, there's no such thing as brand loyalty.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This point is so overblown, infact I would say it's almost not true considering the great things Xbox has done like gamepass, BC and the 1X.
while I'll admit Uncharted 4 and God of war are better then anything the Xbox one has its not like it's a big difference in quality, gears 4 and especially gears 5 were great games and brought something different to what Sony has, and Xbox did new and creative things like sea of thieves. So while Xbox could do with some very high quality narrative driven games it's not like the PS4 library is perfect, and with teams like the initiative, playground games, ninja theory, obsidian and the coalition I would be surprised if Sony's line up continues to be regarded as "better".
This stuff is so unpredictable, it only takes 1 or 2 excellent games from ms for the narrative to change.

Last edited:
This point is so overblown, infact I would say it's almost not true considering the great things Xbox has done like gamepass, BC and the 1X.
while I'll admit Uncharted 4 and God of war are better then anything the Xbox one has its not like it's a big difference in quality, gears 4 and especially gears 5 were great games and brought something different to what Sony has, and Xbox did new and creative things like sea of thieves. So while Xbox could do with some very high quality narrative driven games it's not like the PS4 library is perfect, and with teams like the initiative, playground games, ninja theory, obsidian and the coalition I would be surprised if Sony's line up continues to be regarded as "better".
This stuff is so unpredictable, it only takes 1 or 2 excellent games from ms for the narrative to change.
That's what I'm saying though. They need a couple of timeless games to make people to think otherwise. Right now MS haven't proven that.

I don't call graphics whore "hardcore gamers", it's more like superficial morons, no particular offense.

Hardcore is that guy who play all games from every platform because he love GAMES. Graphics DOES NOT MATTER and companies are trivial.

Dacon

Banned
What sort of fool trusts a soulless corporation whose only concern is how it can take your money?

Top Bottom