• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony exceeds number of promised PlayStation Plus catalogue games - Eurogamer

On Demand

Banned
Everyone keeps bringing up PSNow was before Game Pass, that's irrelevant. Nobody gave a shit about PSNow. It was extremely unsuccessful. Even though it was first it had only 10% the number of subscribers of Game Pass.

For years now we've had Game Pass threads downplayed, trolled and derailed. We've had to hear how Sony fans have no interest and would never subscribe to a sub like Game Pass and how they would rather own their games than rent them. Now that Sony has revamped it's subs to be somewhat more like Game Pass, all of a sudden subs and renting games is great.

P.S. I'm not referring to you in the above, I know you aren't a troll and haven't been downplaying Game Pass which is why I chose to respond to you rather than any of the trolls. I'm not going to further derail or engage in back and forth with any of the trolls. I'm just giving YOU my opinion and how I view it.

PS plus launched over 10 years ago. Sony has been doing subscription services with games for a very long time. They even had PSnow in Samsung TV’s.

It’s Sony’s fault why PSnow wasn’t that popular. It wasn’t their main focus. Just a side project to build on for the future and to give PlayStation more options. The market is the reason too. The tech and consumers weren’t exactly ready. Sony as company always have always tried out new tech that seems to early to bring to market. Years later a bunch of other companies start doing what they’ve already done and it’s called revolutionary. I call that a Sony problem.

Sorry but the reality is MS isn’t doing anything new and nothing that hasn’t already been done before.

kyliethicc

It's worthless unless Goodbye Volcano High is a day one title
I see you

Nu8dAj7.png

SBPN0oa.gif

Gamerguy84

I've subbed to PSNOW for a few years now so I appreciate the upgraded service and adding PS5 games.

Side note this isn't new but apparently you can play multiplayer on Atari 2600 classics. Anyone wanna throw down on combat or real sports football, basketball, baseball, Asteroids let me know.

sircaw

Banned
I bought outriders expansion to play with friends which launches on the 30th.

If it was not for that I would have subbed, i mean look at the quality of some of the games.

Ghost of Tsushima, Returnal, Demon souls.

Holy hells bells.

Mephisto40

So you guys can't read apparently over 800 games with ps premium meaning that psnow games need to be included, which Eurogamer counted at about 400...So if you add them up don't you guys think it is over 800?
The PSNow games are now bundled into the extra tier, so why on earth are you counting them as a separate entity? Who's counting a streaming version and a downloadable version as two different games?

Last edited:
The goal posts will move to whatever is convenient. If that's not obvious to everyone by now then I don't know what else to say. People should stop taking it seriously. It's not a serious debate.

I think that's up to interpretation, if you're talking about if sub services negatively impact the production quality of big AAA games WRT them being Day 1 in such a service. I'm of the opinion that they do; unfortunately the examples for that are mainly on the side of GamePass and I don't know how much of that is incidental vs. how much is the result of the type of model GamePass enforces.

For example, would Halo Infinite have released as it did, at the time it did, if it weren't made for GamePass inclusion on Day 1? The same can arguably be said of Forza Horizon 5; would we be getting more than just another Hot Wheels expansion if the game wasn't in GamePass? Would that expansion perhaps had been there at launch instead, and would we have a different, new type of expansion content that hasn't been in the Forza Horizon series before?

These are all just hypotheticals, but I think they're very important questions to ask and keep in mind. If Sony takes a similar approach with their major AAA games Day 1 into PS+, and there is a similar "piecemeal, drip-feed" approach to content or drop in content quality that would not have been the case if sticking to the model that already works, then these same questions are going to be asked.

Everyone keeps bringing up PSNow was before Game Pass, that's irrelevant. Nobody gave a shit about PSNow. It was extremely unsuccessful. Even though it was first it had only 10% the number of subscribers of Game Pass.

For years now we've had Game Pass threads downplayed, trolled and derailed. We've had to hear how Sony fans have no interest and would never subscribe to a sub like Game Pass and how they would rather own their games than rent them. Now that Sony has revamped it's subs to be somewhat more like Game Pass, all of a sudden subs and renting games is great.

There is some hypocrisy with at least a few people when it comes to this, I agree. If you were fundamentally against the idea sub services with GamePass, then that should still hold true with the new PS+. However, there is a lot of nuance to this, and I would hope the people who took such a strong line against GamePass for reasons as simple as owning vs. renting games, at the very least have reconsidered their views on GamePass to be more fair & honest in light of accepting PS+ with open arms, when you're mainly also "renting" games off of that service as well.

There are definitely some aspects of these sub services still worth having reservations over, but for me personally those are tied to how they impact the big-budgeted AAA gaming model, what types of DRM schemes are enforced (and what impact they have on accessibility when network reliability is down), policies related to price increases (or honoring subscribers with discounts/offers due to network shortages), and in what ways these types of subscription services fuel industry consolidation/acquisitions. I feel like those are points of interest one should have for a service be it Microsoft's, Sony's, or Nintendo's, though. At least that way, the concern is fair and spread out evenly.

Alebrije

I had Gamepass for 4 months but never got a Bloodborne experience , there is not a single Game on GP that gives You the drama and gameplay of TLOU, or the lore and action of God of War. Or the gameplay of Returnal.

On Plus Extra or Premium You do not have one day games by the moment but the games You get are enoung to compete GP portafolio.

Honestly people that do not have a PS console and nrever played the iconic IPs from Sony ...this is the time to jump.

Plus Extra and Premium are better than I expected...wey must thank Microsoft for creating GP since this obligate Sony to offer those new services.

Both services are good but personally Sony 's IPs are far better than Microsofts. So Plus is better at this moment.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The PSNow games are now bundled into the extra tier, so why on earth are you counting them as a separate entity? Who's counting a streaming version and a downloadable version as two different games?
I think you misunderstood there, the extra service doesn't count the ps3 games hence why they are counted separately, it is not about counting twice a games if it is streamable/downloadable it is about about ps3 games that are cloud only.

yazenov

The Xbox fans in here thinking that they are posting gotchas, are the reason why the Sony fanboys swarm and shit up every Xbox thread.

People need to stick to the threads of the platform that they play on.

The smallest dogs usually barks the loudest.

In this case, its the distance 3rd last place as usual console fanboys that are mostly envious of the PS fans because they are always winning with the quantity and quality of the 1st party and 3rd party exclusive games on the system. Not to mention that being the market leader in sales which gets the console the most attention in the media and fans.

Also on the flip side, I understand that sometimes the most popular kids like to tease and bully the unpopular kids as well. That's how the world works unfortunately.

Last edited:

tommib

Honestly folks can we keep the gamepass advertising out of this thread please.

Thank you.

I’m honestly thinking about subbing to a higher tier if enough games that I want to play are offered. But for the most part I’m going to continue buying my games.
I subbed to the premium and paid 12 euros. I was subbed to plus and Now before. Next billing will be in 165 days or something like that. Honestly, there’s a LOT of games in there. I’m excited about all the PSX games they’ll add. Lighting a candle for Tomb Raider 1 and Ridge Racer PS2.

Also, downloading the trial for Forbidden West to look at pretty flowers for 1 hour and never touch it again.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The same can arguably be said of Forza Horizon 5; would we be getting more than just another Hot Wheels expansion if the game wasn't in GamePass? Would that expansion perhaps had been there at launch instead, and would we have a different, new type of expansion content that hasn't been in the Forza Horizon series before?
Apparently Hot Wheels is the most popular add for FH, how true that is I don't know.

Correct me if I'm wrong but no FH game has had a expansion at launch so I don't know why you would think FH5 would. As a matter of fact its the biggest most diverse map out of any FH game.

tommib

As expected, the save anytime and rewind features completely break Resident Evil. Do your best not to use them, good people.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I'm quite impressed with some of the games available. I will sub in the Autumn though as I just don't have the time to play them yet.

Trogdor1123

I’m probably in the minority but I kind of wish they added destiny 2 to this. I know it is sort of f2p but if they added it and the expansions but you bought season passes still I would get it today. I’ve had a hankering to play it again… I’ve been out for almost a year now

Swift_Star

Banned
Honestly folks can we keep the gamepass advertising out of this thread please.

Thank you.

I’m honestly thinking about subbing to a higher tier if enough games that I want to play are offered. But for the most part I’m going to continue buying my games.
I’ll keep buying games I really want and the ones I’m on the fence will be played when/if they hit the sub.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
The question is, what game that is currently on display do you fancy the most. :messenger_grinning:
GOT
Demon Souls- never bought cause I know I'm going to be crap but why not give it a whirl.
Returnal
WRC10- Got WRC9 on Xbox so not going to buy 10, plus I can check out haptics.
Project Cars 3- I know its supposed to be crap but I'd still like to check it out for myself as I don't mind a arcade racer now and again.

I'm sure there's others but I only had a quick look this morning.

sircaw

Banned
GOT
Demon Souls- never bought cause I know I'm going to be crap but why not give it a whirl.
Returnal
Project Cars 3- I know its supposed to be crap but I'd still like to check it out for myself as I don't mind a arcade racer now and again.

one hell of a list there.

Three

Gold Member
It's worthless unless Goodbye Volcano High is a day one title
Won't be day one because it's too high budget.

I'm surprised by the number of racing games available on it.

Project Cars 3
WRC 10
Assetto Corsa Competizione
Wreckfest
Ride 4
The Crew 1-2
Tourist Trophy Isle of Man
FIA Truck Racing

I think I'm set for a while

tommib

Won't be day one because it's too high budget.

I'm surprised by the number of racing games available on it.

Project Cars 3
WRC 10
Assetto Corsa Competizione
Wreckfest
Ride 4
The Crew 1-2
Tourist Trophy Isle of Man
FIA Truck Racing

I think I'm set for a while
I was surprised to see the PS5 version of Assetto Corsa available. Let me see how bad this is compared to GT7. :p

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I was surprised to see the PS5 version of Assetto Corsa available. Let me see how bad this is compared to GT7. :p
I forgot about ACC, I have it on Xbox but will still check it out. I like it, its a different game to GT7, more hardcore but I tend to play GT7 more as its a lot easier to jump in and out of.

johnjohn

In this case, its the distance 3rd last place as usual console fanboys that are mostly envious of the PS fans because they are always winning with the quantity and quality of the 1st party and 3rd party exclusive games on the system. Not to mention that being the market leader in sales which gets the console the most attention in the media and fans.

Also on the flip side, I understand that sometimes the most popular kids like to tease and bully the unpopular kids as well. That's how the world works unfortunately.
The cringe in this post lmao.

DeepSpace5D

I’m not in the European market, but I did just upgrade my plan from essential to the premium about an hour ago. It was only around $23 for me to do so based on the time I had remaining with my essential plan, so I figured why not check it out.

My first impression navigating through it on a PS5 is that it’s very well organized and easy to see where everything is located, which was a bit surprising since the new service just launched. Basically the complete opposite of when the PlayStation store relaunched.

As to the thread topic, the number of games offered between the current catalog, the classics catalog, and the cloud streaming is pretty overwhelming. I don’t even know how I could begin to tackle this catalog when I already have a pretty hefty backlog of purchased games. There’s some real gems in there that I’ve wanted to buy and never got around to though like The Wonderful 101: Remastered and the MediEvil remake. Bunch of JRPGs I’ve never tried as well.

I’m not sure if the service is for me personally or if I will renew the Premium tier when it expires, but it does look like a good deal if you want to play a shitload of games.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Its a great sim by console standards and the PS 5 version has good performance. As a console “game”… well that’s not the ideal scenario for this.

If you’re playing with a controller then GT7 is far better to play.

Varteras

Gold Member
Where on earth are they getting "Exceeding 800" from? it has nowhere near that many games available

Literally just counted them now, it comes to 580 currently available on PS+ Extra and Classics
I just counted the Classics Catalogue in the Americas on my PS5. There are 398 entries. That includes the stream-only PS3 games. Add to that the 380 games I saw in the Extra Catalogue and that total is 778. Subtract 11 for being duplicates because they either separated the PS4 and PS5 entries into two games for some reason, or because they have the same game but two different editions. Supposedly there are others that are not showing up in the catalogues for some reason and you have to search for them, but that is what I found in the catalogues.

Pro tip: Use the PS5 accessibility option for a custom controller layout to Swap R1/R2, and L1/L2 for some of these PS3 games. Using the actual triggers for Resistance 3 is where it's at.

P.S. I'm not referring to you in the above, I know you aren't a troll and haven't been downplaying Game Pass which is why I chose to respond to you rather than any of the trolls. I'm not going to further derail or engage in back and forth with any of the trolls. I'm just giving YOU my opinion and how I view it.
You had plenty of people correcting your stupid attempt at trolling in your initial comment and then you come back with this gold nugget?
Either reading comprehension is not your forte or your hardcore trolling really.
No one is complaining about the concept of a rental service, what people have rightfully pointed out is that releasing big budget AAA games day one as a rental is a sure fire way to lower the quality of said game.
Take video games away and use movies as an example if it removes the fanboy/girl glasses...

Let's imagine Marvel Studios releasing Avengers End Game day and date to both the cinema and to the direct to dvd - blue ray rental. Would the movie make a) more money, b) same money or c) less money than the normal cycle of hitting movie theaters and only 6 months to a year after be available to rent?

Don't even respond if you're going to keep on trolling, no need to waste anyone's time and argue in bad faith.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Let's imagine Marvel Studios releasing Avengers End Game day and date to both the cinema and to the direct to dvd - blue ray rental. Would the movie make a) more money, b) same money or c) less money than the normal cycle of hitting movie theaters and only 6 months to a year after be available to rent?

Don't even respond if you're going to keep on trolling, no need to waste anyone's time and argue in bad faith.
Ooh Ooh, I know the answer to this.

The answer is why Disney has been holding back their big budget films from day to date on Disney+, opposite of what they were initially doing when the service launched.

I had Gamepass for 4 months but never got a Bloodborne experience , there is not a single Game on GP that gives You the drama and gameplay of TLOU, or the lore and action of God of War. Or the gameplay of Returnal.

On Plus Extra or Premium You do not have one day games by the moment but the games You get are enoung to compete GP portafolio.

Honestly people that do not have a PS console and nrever played the iconic IPs from Sony ...this is the time to jump.

Plus Extra and Premium are better than I expected...wey must thank Microsoft for creating GP since this obligate Sony to offer those new services.

Both services are good but personally Sony 's IPs are far better than Microsofts. So Plus is better at this moment.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

tommib

Guys, question:

I have a friend saying that he lost the PS5 exclusive collection when migrating to the Essential? Is that true?

Digital Foundry should compare the Emulation versions on Xbox consoles and PlayStation.

That’s going to be slightly difficult since they are not emulating the same platforms.

Edit: I think your talking about Retroarch on Xbox to be honest. Not comparing Xbox games through BC with PSX games through Plus.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

sonic the hedgehog sonics GIF

Top Bottom