• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony exec: Our Players Demand Single Player Games

BibiMaghoo

When you finish a game, you sent it in the get okay'd by Sony. They have a checklist of like a thousand things they will check. Stuff like making sure you don't use only colors to indicate selected menu items because color blind people might have problems with it. Or using square button for confirmation of choices instead of X. And yes, they have a long list of items for DLC and online services that games must pass (like how to fail gracefully when PSN is not available) if they want to be released. You miss even one of these things and they send the game back until you fix it. Nothing gets released on a Sony platform without Sony knowing and okaying what is in it. All it would take is one extra item on the checklist that says, "DLC content is not loot boxes". The only reason they didn't do that is because it was really successful on iOS and the first console success was Blizzard. They wanted a piece of that sweet, sweet money. If they want to take the moral high ground on anime titties, they need to worry about their contributions to gambling, in my opinion.

Of course Sony could make it policy that loot crates don't go in Sony platform games, but that would be madness and not solve the problem or make them go away. Say goodbye to third party publishers and their flagship franchises because they won't decide to not make cash because of one systems policy. It is foolish to believe Sony has the power to change something that is prolific in the industries biggest players. Sony would just lose revenue for what? A moral position? To please Sqorin Hammerfarf? No my friend. It is most definitely an industry problem, that needs to be addressed by publishers or legislation, not a single platform holder.

Of course Sony could make it policy that loot crates don't go in Sony platform games, but that would be madness and not solve the problem or make them go away.
Yes, madness. Sony doesn't seem to have a problem taking a moral stance when it suits them. Like censoring anime titties.

Say goodbye to third party publishers and their flagship franchises because they won't decide to not make cash because of one systems policy.
After Battlefront 2's backlash, if Sony decided against loot boxes (which are also technically illegal in several countries and inviting laws in several others), I doubt anybody would be "NOOO! My lootboxes!!" It would be the definition of reasonable, which Sony certainly isn't these days.

It is foolish to believe Sony has the power to change something that is prolific in the industries biggest players. Sony would just lose revenue for what? A moral position? To please Sqorin Hammerfarf? No my friend. It is most definitely an industry problem, that needs to be addressed by publishers or legislation, not a single platform holder.
Nobody pleases Sqorin Hammerfarf but Sqorin Hammerfarf.

Jarbloko

i demand a new psasbr before its too late.
smash already have snake, cloud and joker..
defend yourself sony.

thelastword

Banned
Single Player Games have been this generation's strongest output.......I shudder to think of "the millions gamers who swear on such experiences" and think of what outlook they would have had on this generation of consoles without Sony......

Durask

Same here.
I can play some coop but that's about it. Aside from that and maybe some fighting game action with friends it is single player only.

Demand is not it. You just can't make any good mp games. Best mp game from Sony this gen is TLOU and thats a remaster.

Bring back zipper for a new Socom or shit... try anything.

Nobody wants censorship and we're still getting it. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Jarbloko

Shit.

I'd take a Playstation Kart Racer too.

KGIoCie.jpg

dirthead

Banned
We need more coop games. I think the theme is that a lot of people don't like COMPETITIVE games. They either just want to relax and play a single player game or play cooperatively. The competitive macho crap isn't for a lot of people.

Rayderism

Well, I DEMAND single-player in my games. But I'm a relic, I don't do online MP at all. MP to me means a friend with controller 2 in their hands. If a game has no SP gameplay, I won't buy it, no matter how cool the game may look.

Tarkus98

I’m certainly on board with their single player games. Love their output and not really a multiplayer gamer unless it is couch co-op or online with friends/people I already know or have on my friends list.
Oh, Warwick Light? That has to be a made up name lol. Pretty cool name though at any rate.

Bryank75

Banned
Demand is not it. You just can't make any good mp games. Best mp game from Sony this gen is TLOU and thats a remaster.

Bring back zipper for a new Socom or shit... try anything.

Nobody wants censorship and we're still getting it. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I sure would love a new Socom game but you know they would make it open-world and all of that jazz. Could still be good though!

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I enjoy single player games too, but I also want to see some TLOU Part II multiplayer.

benjohn

Yes, madness. Sony doesn't seem to have a problem taking a moral stance when it suits them. Like censoring anime titties.

After Battlefront 2's backlash, if Sony decided against loot boxes (which are also technically illegal in several countries and inviting laws in several others), I doubt anybody would be "NOOO! My lootboxes!!" It would be the definition of reasonable, which Sony certainly isn't these days.

Nobody pleases Sqorin Hammerfarf but Sqorin Hammerfarf.
Its not Sony's call but ours. Nobody's going solve that problem except we stop paying for that crap

Sparda

Banned
Sony is smarter than microsoft. there are tons of third-party multiplayer game, no need to make only multiplayer game. now i want an horror game and a jrpg from them.

ZywyPL

Banned
Well TBH, that's the only thing they are good at nowadays. When was the last time they made at least a decent MP? R:FoM, Warhawk, Socom, KZ2, Res3, those games are decade old, they have literally nothing MP-oriented since this generation started. They don't even make FPP games anymore, everything is just the same, over the shoulder, slow, narrative-driven formula, which I agree they are brilliant at, but it can work only for so long, sooner or later people with get bored, or dare I say, sick and tired of it, and then what? For me current Sony is the opposite of what they were in the PS3 days, where they got extremely diverse portfolio of games, they covered all possible genres, on both SP and MP side, and now they are pretty much just Unchartering everything they have...

thelastword

Banned
More Siren!!!! More horror!
Yes, what I love most about Sony is all their IP's......You think after Tsushima, Death Stranding, Spiderman, Days Gone etc...They will only keep pumping sequels to these games next gen, no, they will also create a bevy of new IP's......So many great IP's laying dormant in Sony's stable tbh.....

As for the genre you prefer......They have Siren, they have Extermination, Primal and Ghost Hunter...All of these games can resurrect to stellar conversions. I can even see a reboot of Extermination having excellent MP if done correctly on top of a solid SP.....All the other games have an excellent and unique SP campaign and Primal and Ghost Hunter were some of the best looking games on PS2 overall, great tech there...

Dumb sony all we need is battle royale games
More battle royale, more loot boxes and monetization in games.....Sometimes, I think if persons didn't protest those heavily, consumers as well as reviewers collectively, or even now, laws being implemented to stop all these terrible monetization practices, we would be seeing more budgets dedicated to that, but alas, this generation have spoken and they don't want to be hunkered down by millions of in-game items, pay to win, pay to advance or gain XP.....that, or face severe grinding sessions....

People by and large just want some nice adventure games, action games with good characters stories etc...

dalekjay

You goddamn right, single player 10-20h long sweet spot
Well the effort it would take to keep content flowing for a more centric game would just be redundant when they can focus on SP and let games like fortnite and cod focus on MP.

I prefer 100+ hours. Especially if I’m paying full price. Something which is why I’ll gladly take games like MHW and Skyrim over games like Spider-Man or CoD campaigns.

I understand your position, and is fair, my reasoning is that I have so little time, that if a game can be played in that time frame I mentioned and give me a experience that I can live it, take the most of it, is in fact a huge bonus and I'm willing to pay full price, because it makes my time worth, and my time has more value than the price tag so for me its a win.

A but I still play longer games, I took on Dragon quest because my wife is away and I'm having freer days.

A personal question, do you burn out and stop, or you just play more than one at time? like Skyrim is short at main quest but you can easily go over 200h

Calibos

Amazing single player games sell systems

Amazing Multiplayer games keep the ecosystem and users to buy them

Aenima

I sure do. If it wasent for single player games, i would not be playing any games.

Only multiplayer game i bough this gen was Monster Hunter World, and even in that i finished all the story quests solo, just started doing co-op in the end game quests.

Top Bottom