• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony expects to post a fiscal-year loss of more than $2 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z0u3yuI.png

http://online.wsj.com/home-page

Edit- New articles from Variety and The Verge. http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/sony-expects-2-billion-loss-for-fiscal-year-1201307413/ http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/17/6...-mid-range-smartphones-is-costing-it-billions

So Sony has the exact opposite problem as MS? In that their game division makes bank but the rest of the company can't get its act together?

They just posted the article (which is behind a paywall), but before that there was a quick "Breaking News" update which said they lost more money than they expected (I don't know how much more).

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
MS paid $2.5 billion for a $20 dollar game. Sony should just buy a game for $500 million and claim they bought it for $2.5 billion.

If nothing else, they can sell another building. The one they sold last time to improve earnings surely wasn't the only building they had. I'm sure they have at least 3 or 4 more buildings right?

Averon

I'm reading the article. It says Sony will now book a ¥180 billion impairment charge--the entire amount of goodwill in the segment--in the second quarter of this fiscal year due to lower sales of their mobile unit.

Sony's mobile strategy has been all sorts of screwy, so I'm not surprised it finally caught up with them.

BAW

Banned
So they killed all the departments that were losing them money and they still have a 2 billion loss? The future looks grim.

thuway

I'm reading the article. It says Sony will now book a ¥180 billion impairment charge--the entire amount of goodwill in the segment--in the second quarter of this fiscal year due to lower sales of their mobile unit.

Sony's mobile strategy has been all sorts of screwy, so I'm not surprised it finally caught up with them.

The Xperia Z3 is the first time they are launching in the US simultaneously with the world wide launch. Someone on GAF mentioned, that some of the older guard was so down right incompetent, that they refused to go out of their way to insure US carrier's had the phone.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I'm waiting for Google to buy them.

For what though? They'd just suck out the yummy patent bit from Sony's carcass for the purpose of weaponizing them and throw the rest of the violated flesh off a bridge into the cold bay.

I guess if you hate Sony it seems like an appropriate outcome to hope for but if you, like me, enjoy greatness then you should hope that Nintendo, Sony and Konami combine to form a virtual reality fitness spa for babies.

Averon

So they killed all the departments that were losing them money and they still have a 2 billion loss? The future looks grim.

The loss seems to be coming from their mobile unit.
Looks like their crappy mobile strategy finally caught up with them.

Not releasing their phone in NA. Releasing so many derivative low and mid-range devices. Having a new flagship phone every 6 months. All sorts of bad decision making.

thuway

The loss seems to be coming from their mobile unit.
Looks like their crappy mobile strategy finally caught up with them.

Not releasing their phone in NA. Releasing so many derivative low and mid-range devices. Having a new flagship phone every 6 months. All sorts of bad decision making.

Yeap. The very fact they ignored the US for so long is just another move in the myriad of stupid moves they've made.

How much did the the sony gaming division lose since the PS4 came out?

The gaming division as a while is not too bad but the Vita sales certainly let the whole thing down

While this may be a good thing it means if sony decide to start chopping up the company and selling it off the gaming division might get bought out by someone like apple...then we r all fucked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom