• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony expects to post a fiscal-year loss of more than $2 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

their mobile strategy is baffling, even more so if you own a Z series phone.

No doubt. They thought releasing a shit-ton of low and mid-range phones with razor thin profit margins with confusing names, ignoring the NA market, and releasing a flagship every 6 months were sound strategy.

Didn't HTC get in trouble for releasing so many different phone as well? I don't understand why Kaz thought following a similar strategy was a good idea.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
So PlayStation is doing really well, so is their phone division, what's the problem now?

Precisely! There isn't a problem. This is some fanboy gloom and doom bullshit! Plain and simple. Sony has been losing billions for years now and they're still going. They release good products with descent to god-tier quality and they have the #1 console in the world. Driveclub is coming out and they have Bloodbourn. Destany which launches on PS4 as the premier console has sold nearly a $1billion. I can go on about the new IPs and indie games that lead on their platform. No man's sky, and they also have steam on the PS3. Its the most extensive ecosystem for games and they're not spending their money to buy exclusives. As you stated, they make excellent phones and tablets too. People knock them because they're coming out of a terrible mess made by someone who doesn't understand how a Japanese company works. Kaz is fixing things and we just need to give Sony more time. Let Engadget write their ketchup article. What does a fail blog know about a thriving business. Remember the PS3? Now look at the PS4 -- yeah, exactly! Movies, TV, computers, portables.... never count out the comeback kid <3

Their phones suck, not surprised at all.

What does this even mean?!! Sony's phones are universally praised. If there was a metacritic for phones, Sony would totally get a quality bonus.

Kaz needs to go.

Kaz has been fixing the problems caused by Stringer. Why would you get rid of the guy who is effectively healing the company?

it turns out publicly traded companies are all run by the yakuza in Japan just like the sumo wrestlers. nothing to worry about guys.

For what though? They'd just suck out the yummy patent bit from Sony's carcass for the purpose of weaponizing them and throw the rest of the violated flesh off a bridge into the cold bay.

I guess if you hate Sony it seems like an appropriate outcome to hope for but if you, like me, enjoy greatness then you should hope that Nintendo, Sony and Konami combine to form a virtual reality fitness spa for babies.

Another piece of the cellphone marketshare, potential to increase their media library and offering in tv/film, music, film, and that gaming console thing. I think TV's would be the first thing to go if they ever got curious enough and thought about it.

AniHawk

MS paid $2.5 billion for a $20 dollar game. Sony should just buy a game for $500 million and claim they bought it for $2.5 billion.

If nothing else, they can sell another building. The one they sold last time to improve earnings surely wasn't the only building they had. I'm sure they have at least 3 or 4 more buildings right?

Sell another building.

They probably run out of buildings to sell.

but seriously, i think real estate was the new business they were actually planning to get into as of the end of the fiscal year.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sony-enter-real-estate-business-183427333.html

Precisely! There isn't a problem. This is some fanboy gloom and doom bullshit! Plain and simple. Sony has been losing billions for years now and they're still going. They release good products with descent to god-tier quality and they have the #1 console in the world. Driveclub is coming out and they have Bloodbourn. Destany which launches on PS4 as the premier console has sold nearly a $1billion. I can go on about the new IPs and indie games that lead on their platform. No man's sky, and they also have steam on the PS3. Its the most extensive ecosystem for games and they're not spending their money to buy exclusives. As you stated, they make excellent phones and tablets too. People knock them because they're coming out of a terrible mess made by someone who doesn't understand how a Japanese company works. Kaz is fixing things and we just need to give Sony more time. Let Engadget write their ketchup article. What does a fail blog know about a thriving business. Remember the PS3? Now look at the PS4 -- yeah, exactly! Movies, TV, computers, portables.... never count out the comeback kid <3

I hope this is satire

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Their phones suck, not surprised at all.

I'd say they turned that around completely in the last year.

The Xperia Z series is the only Android that could make me jump from iOS.

Averon

Kaz has been fixing the problems caused by Stringer. Why would you get rid of the guy who is effectively healing the company?

Kaz has been in the CEO long enough that there should some improvement in their financials. Another revised loss in the scope of $2 billion when other Japanese CE companies are showing recovery doesn't look go at all. If I'm a Sony investor, why should I have any faith in him?

fHpaWLq.jpg

Kaz has been in the CEO long enough that there should some improvement in their financials. Another revised loss in the scope of $2 billion when other Japanese CE companies are showing recovery doesn't look go at all. If I'm a Sony investor, why should I have any faith in him?

Because he made the video game machine I like.

hipbabboom

I hope this is satire

Wait... what? Did I say something hyperbolic or dumb? You'd do well to never count Sony out.

What does it matter how good the hardware is when the software support is abysmal.

I hate hearing this because they've made strides in this market. You hear Indies talk about how nice the ps4 is to program for and you see how slick their device ui looks across their device ecosystem. These are not achievements a company that's bad in software can boast. I'm not a fanboy but ms made windows 8 and they're a software company but people are taking them to task for that and Sony sells more handsets than ms as well so the way I see it, Sony makes great software to support its hardware.

AniHawk

fy ending march 2011: $2 billion net loss
kaz hirai becomes president of sony corp.
fy ending march 2012: $4 billion net loss
fy ending march 2013: $1 billion net income
fy ending march 2014: $640 million net loss
fy ending march 2015 (projected): $2 billion net loss

projected total net loss for the half-decade: $7.64 billion

Ape

Banned
How much does Sony have left in the bank? I think it might be time to sell of the Playstation brand. I'm sure they could get a pretty penny from the likes of Amazon or Google.

This is important. While the other Japanese CE makers like Panasonic and Toshiba aren't exactly putting up stellar numbers, they are in a tenuous recovery mode. Even Sharp is now reporting profit. With the yen more favourable to exports than it has been for many years, Sony is running out of places to hide.

jaydogg691

I like how people say that their mobile division is doing well, but they could do even better if they tried release their products to the US on time. I loved the Xperia line of phones and would probably buy each iteration of their Z line phones that they release, but their lack of presence in the US is non existent. They wait so long to release their products over here that by the time Sony decides to bring their flagship phone, the next iteration is ready to release for the rest of the world.

I have my eye on the Z3 so bad and luckily T-Mobile will be bringing this phone to the US around the same time everyone else gets it. Now I just hope Sony tries to market this thing so they can show great their phones are compared to the competition.

AniHawk

How much does Sony have left in the bank? I think it might be time to sell of the Playstation brand. I'm sure they could get a pretty penny from the likes of Amazon or Google.

sounds like wishful thinking to me. i don't know why they'd sell off one of their only profitable parts of business unless they are seriously in clearance sale mode.

hipbabboom

fy ending march 2011: $2 billion net loss
kaz hirai becomes president of sony corp.
fy ending march 2012: $4 billion net loss
fy ending march 2013: $1 billion net income
fy ending march 2014: $640 million net loss
fy ending march 2015 (projected): $2 billion net loss

projected total net loss for the half-decade: $7.64 billion

Sure this happened after he became president but you can't put that on him.

Sony will hpefullyvsell their TV division and become a leaner company. I believe that's kaz's vision. This is likely the blast year Sony will post a net loss so WSJ is just hyping it for clicks.

Sony's most profitable business is selling insurance

I actually didn't know this. What type of insurance?

Zolf

They aren't actually losing cash. They're writing down the value of one of their business units.

theWB27

What does this even mean?!! Sony's phones are universally praised. If there was a metacritic for phones, Sony would totally get a quality bonus.

So Sony is coming out of the mess by losing 2billion dollars?
giphy.gif

Sid

IMO their mobile strategy should be:-
Release the regular Z flagship in the first half of the year
Release the compact Z model in the second half
Try to hit a simultaneous worldwide release
Don't release more than 1 budget phone a year

3pRRli8.gif

This isn't Console Wars dude lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom