• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files three patents for Glove Controller for use with PlayStation VR

Macrotus

untitled-3squpk.png

lmao

If you just created that, that was seriously fast

Eggbok

Glove Controller + PS Move = The Ultimate Star Wars game.
Got damn, imagine Jedi Academy VR.
Lightsaber, Force Powers, etc.

Ogni-XR21

I find that shooting a gun by just flexing your index finger does not really work that well. Try it, it does not feel good. Maybe one or two times but imagine doing this for an hour straight.

Other than that I'm excited for any new VR tech.

Sony als acquired SoftKinetic a few months ago. These guys had been demonstrating very impressive gesture controls the last couple of years. So it's coming for sure, sooner or later.

Mula

Seen this yesterday & my thoughts is that it's way too detailed to be just a random patent. look like it's a completed product that's being tested.

It looks like there must be cameras on the Headset so probably not for PSVR1.

Skittles

Make it stop... no no no, keep going!
Just imagine that combined with the lighthouse technology and you have a room scale lightsaber battle

edit: Now imagine that but with one of your friends also in the room with you. The two of battling it out in vr. Would be the GOAT offline multiplayer game.

DavidDesu

Glove Controller + PS Move = The Ultimate Star Wars game.
Got damn, imagine Jedi Academy VR.
Lightsaber, Force Powers, etc.

Wow, just had an amazing thought. With eye tracking and this. Imagine being told to close your eyes and feel the force as you try to pick up a rock with your mind. The game knows when you're closing your eyes and thus "concentrating" (or even better eye tracking is used to pick your target to use the force on!). You wave your hand in the direction of the rock. You hear and feel the rumble of the force with feedback from this wrist device and binaural audio. If you move your hand away too quickly you lose the feeling and the audio so it can help direct you to the rock. When you have a "lock" on the rock you get a little specific rumble and audio cue as feedback. You subtly pull your hand towards you and hear the force rumble get closer and closer. You open your eyes and your levitated rock is right in front of you, you reach out and grab it. You have passed, Yoda says something wise to you. You cry.

Don't even get me started on lightsabres! ;p

Seriously though, this tech is inevitable for VR. Just like early stabs at VR that looked ridiculous, early stabs at this idea have looked ridiculous too. But when they get it working, it will be incredibly intuitive and useful in VR spaces. I'd rather hold a glove or have a wrist band on than be waving around a dildo with a coloured ball on the end..

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wow, just had an amazing thought. With eye tracking and this. Imagine being told to close your eyes and feel the force as you try to pick up a rock with your mind. The game knows when you're closing your eyes and thus "concentrating" (or even better eye tracking is used to pick your target to use the force on!). You wave your hand in the direction of the rock. You hear and feel the rumble of the force with feedback from this wrist device and binaural audio. If you move your hand away too quickly you lose the feeling and the audio so it can help direct you to the rock. When you have a "lock" on the rock you get a little specific rumble and audio cue as feedback. You subtly pull your hand towards you and hear the force rumble get closer and closer. You open your eyes and your levitated rock is right in front of you, you reach out and grab it. You have passed, Yoda says something wise to you. You cry.

Don't even get me started on lightsabres! ;p

Seriously though, this tech is inevitable for VR. Just like early stabs at VR that looked ridiculous, early stabs at this idea have looked ridiculous too. But when they get it working, it will be incredibly intuitive and useful in VR spaces. I'd rather hold a glove or have a wrist band on than be waving around a dildo with a coloured ball on the end..

Virtual Bliss!

gafneo

Banned
I'd hate to go over a friend's house and use that after they've been playing games all day with it. It would smell and be filled with germs and things that rhyme with germ. "hint" Firm hand shakes. They cause wear and tear :)

hesido

That's a lot of hand diagrams.

I also like how the possibly led ball is immediately obscured from Camera view by the hand the first image.

PulseONE

Add in some good haptic feedback and this could be really awesome.

Imagine an Elder Scrolls game with this, where you can actually physically pick up all the different objects, where you have to physically hold your sword and maybe do hand movements to cast magic. Would be neat.

Mula

That's a lot of hand diagrams.

I also like how the possibly led ball is immediately obscured from Camera view by the hand the first image.
That's why i think there is a camera In the Headset. The LED's in the wristband can't be tracked by a facing Cam.

Top Bottom