• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files trademark for 'Vib Ribbon"' in Europe

ultron87

It would be the ultimate troll move if they release it in Europe but not NA again.

Vibri going to cut some fools if this is more foolin.

Drencrom

Oh shit, it all makes sense now...

At E3 2014, Shawn Layden out of nowhere said that Vib Ribbon is a personal favorite of his.

And about 2 weeks ago he did the ALS ice bucket challenge wearing this, a fucking Vib Ribbon shirt:

LFcMz7r.png

Vib Ribbon 2, it's happening!

John Drake influence? Maybe he can make Parappa the Rapper happen as well.

Jonathan Mak is a good candidate to make a Vib Ribbon game. Good suggestion whoever said that earlier.

Piccoro

original

Excelent news! I loved Vib Ribbon on PSOne, but unfortunately I broke the original disc and couldn't find any more copies! I will be able to play it again!

daydream

Banned
Never got the chance to play it (although I've been looking at PS1 copies for a while now) but I love love love the soundtrack, aesthetic, etc.

Day 1 purchase.

Also feel the need to say again how I posted about this two days ago in the PSN thread. GAF -> Sony #believe

I never played the original so I'm excited. Are you expecting this to be a PS1 Classic or a remake?
Or a straight-up sequel.

Sony, you're 1/5 of the way on the path to True Greatness™ now. Complete the pentalogy this instant with a Tomba sequel, UmJammer sequel, Jumping Flash sequel and Omega Boost sequel.

Vin Ribbon
Parappa the Rapper
Alundra
Arc the Lad

New games, all on Vita as £12 digital releases. It makes too much sense. Come on Sony. Please.
No one will buy the Vita still tho. There's a reason Tearaway's coming to PS4 now (as it should).

mattp

for what it's worth, shane bettenhausen was also posting tons of random vib ribbon stuff on twitter recently (he works at sony)

for what it's worth, shane bettenhausen was also posting tons of random vib ribbon stuff on twitter recently (he works at sony)

Acknowledgements during the E3 presser, Shawn Layden wearing a Vib Ribbon shirt in his ice bucket challenge video and a Sony employer tweeting lots of related stuff on his account. There's got to be something going on with the IP; something more than just bringing the original game to PSN.

SSReborn

There was someone who really pushed for this game during the PASBR thread way back when?

Who was it again?

Acquiescence?

There was someone who really pushed for this game during the PASBR thread way back when?

Who was it again?

Acquiescence?

Hmmm, you're probably thinking of somebody else. I was the Jumping Flash! aficionado who desperately wanted Robbit in the game, but I did mention Vibri from time to time as well.

mollipen

Getting real sick of all of this Vib-Ribbon teasing and taunting. At this point, Sony, all you have to do is put up the original PS1 game, and it doesn't even need to include any sort of support for importing additional music.

That is literally all you have to do. Come on.

Drago

Oh shit, maybe something will come out of that E3 tease after all...? :0

I sure hope so! I'll even take a PSN release of the original. Anything!

Or a straight-up sequel.

Sony, you're 1/5 of the way on the path to True Greatness™ now. Complete the pentalogy this instant with a Tomba sequel, UmJammer sequel, Jumping Flash sequel and Omega Boost sequel.

No one will buy the Vita still tho. There's a reason Tearaway's coming to PS4 now (as it should).

Ok, keep arguing games shouldn't come to Vita just because, thanks!

Who would prefer playing Vib Ribbon on PS4 as opposed to Vita? And why not both?

delSai

It all makes sense now. First the Vib Ribbon talk, and right after that the Mortal Kombat Part. Vibri is the Guest Charakter in MKX!
that would be weird

Hydrargyrus

Sony should be working in PSX/PS2 emulation as a priority.

I can't imagine better news for gamers (especially those who were loyal to the brand and have game from this platforms)

I have very mixed feelings about this. Vib Ribbon inhabits a neat spot in PSX history because of what it did with so little behind it. Upgrading it to current (or even last) generation visuals and game design baselines would feel extremely alienating since it never got a PS2 equivalent unless you count Mojib Ribbon.

iKZv6xpkw6m7y.jpg

If VR 2's design is an evolution of that aesthetic it would be lovely but since American audiences never got that bridge between the generations would they accept it as a Vib Ribbon game? How big a tracklist would audiences accept?

Getting real sick of all of this Vib-Ribbon teasing and taunting. At this point, Sony, all you have to do is put up the original PS1 game, and it doesn't even need to include any sort of support for importing additional music.

That is literally all you have to do. Come on.

I want to put my dumb CDs in though!

Based Layden. He is going to bring us Vib Ribbon on PS4. Team ICO pulled off The Last Guardian and PD pulled off Gran Turismo 7 to work on Vib Ribbon.

Ok, keep arguing games shouldn't come to Vita just because, thanks!

Who would prefer playing Vib Ribbon on PS4 as opposed to Vita? And why not both?
I would. Because I'm getting a PS4, not a Vita.

Long term Vita is just not a good investment anymore. If I really have to, I'd get a PS TV.

Aren't you forgetting Vib-Ripple?

Vib-Ripple_Cover.png
Literally never knew this game even existed until today.

Sony should be working in PSX/PS2 emulation as a priority.

I can't imagine better news for gamers (especially those who were loyal to the brand and have game from this platforms)
There is better news, actually: a whole new game in the series ;)

I have very mixed feelings about this. Vib Ribbon inhabits a neat spot in PSX history because of what it did with so little behind it. Upgrading it to current (or even last) generation visuals and game design baselines would feel extremely alienating since it never got a PS2 equivalent unless you count Mojib Ribbon.

iKZv6xpkw6m7y.jpg

If VR 2's design is an evolution of that aesthetic it would be lovely but since American audiences never got that bridge between the generations would they accept it as a Vib Ribbon game? How big a tracklist would audiences accept?

I think Vib Ribbon is pretty much perfect as is. For a sequel I would be happy with the same visuals as Vib Ribbon (1080P and cleaned up), mp3/other audio format support, and a new soundtrack. They could experiment with the visual presentation if they like (Moji looks nice) because I don't think it's the most important aspect of the game. Just as long as they don't fuck up the mechanics, really.

Top Bottom