• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony forcing Japan only games to go through content inspections which are conducted in English

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Dream Daddy has zero sex scenes. It's basically a romance simulator and sex happens behind the scenes, or is implied that happened but you don't see it.
Super Seducer is a pick up and throwaway guide for sleazy guys. Very very different games.

Super seducer has zero sex scenes as well. That is what I was referring to.

So tell me, which part of SS was 'sleazy'?

Ar¢tos

Super seducer has zero sex scenes as well. That is what I was referring to.

So tell me, which part of SS was 'sleazy'?
The whole concept of the game.

If someone made a game teaching how to lure kids into a van, without any visual violence, sex or nudity or implications of the intentions behind the purpose of luring the kids into the van, you think it should be approved because there is nothing visual to censor?

Thiagosc777

If someone made a game teaching how to lure kids into a van, without any visual violence, sex or nudity or implications of the intentions behind the purpose of luring the kids into the van, you think it should be approved because there is nothing visual to censor?

That's a game about teaching men how to approach women. Is heterosexuality comparable to pedos in van? What!?

Enygger_Tzu

Banned

Now please, try to make your case without a whataboutism.

Game teaching how to lure kids into a van is the same to you as a game teaching straight men how to talk to grown women?

Another game has been censored. They removed the boob slider of the PS4 Version while it is totally uncensored on the Switch.
https://gematsu.com/2018/11/neko-para-vol-1-for-ps4-removes-setting-increases-steam
It's easy to see Sony's new arbitrary morality having a serious chilling affect on Japanese developers, especially since they currently have no one in their own region (and apparently language) to plead their case. Whereas it's hard to see any Western devs speaking up on the behalf of their overseas counterparts, as Sony is their current cash cow.

It's easy to laugh, when it's only those pervy Japanese dating sims and some creepy mode in an anime titty game, but left unchecked this will seep in one form or another into other more mainstream titles. This is all just so unnecessary and an about face on what seemed like a fairly open-door policy at the start of the PS4's life cycle.

petran79

Banned

This game isnt on PS4 either and probably never be. From the creator of Alone in the Dark btw

header.jpg

From a review:
2Dark deals with some taboo subjects most media wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Namely the kidnapping and abuse of children. It doesn't tread lightly into the crimes-which-must-not-be-named, either; almost the entirety of the game is spent witnessing young kids being tortured, murdered, brainwashed, or any variety of vile acts. Before you clutch your pearls and cry, “Think of the children!”, the goal of the game's protagonist, Detective Smith, is to save the victims and uncover the network of traffickers involved in procuring the children. While it's a shock to the system to see what you're not supposed to see, it's too bad the game itself is garbage.

This game isnt on PS4 either and probably never be.
It actually is on PS4.

Meanwhile on the "big" western mainstream media :
There's an emerging narrative (on some unsavory forums, with an s, for the time being) that anyone who cares about this sort of cut content is actually a pervert only concerned with the sexual content, or associated with far-right websites and devilishly hiding his political hate group grooming intentions by speaking about "so-called consumer rights", or that the actual problem anyone complaining about this has is repressing creative vision (who actually love to be censored) and is "against diversity".

Once the right spin will be found, they'll be sure to run a story with the solidified narrative. That Censored Gaming channel will be the first target, and they'd look into any political connection to whoever runs the channel or even comments on it.
But it would be too late since the cat is already out of the bag and the issue is public enough, and anytime they run a review or coverage ASKING for games to be cut it will undo their efforts to distance themselves from the situation they helped create. They're already right now running some pieces about toxic commenters who are evilly disagreeing with a game review that docks point off a game because it "doesn't have enough diversity", since that could be framed as the commentors repressing "diversity" instead of the game reviewer with the actual power to change metacritic scores and now apparently get Sony to delist games, who is the one repressing creatives and forcing them to comply with political demands in their games or face cancellation.

Last edited:

Dunki

My guess is that you never played this game....

It is kind of a flirt school but also a fucking hilarious game for the wrong answers you can choose. In fact it teaches you to respect women way more because this is a great way to flirt according to him. Part 2 also has interracial dating with an Asian guy trying to get a date with a white woman, you play couple of chapters in the female perspective etc. There is nothing wrong here and you comparison is fucking ridiculous to begin with.

Senhua

It actually is on PS4.

There's an emerging narrative (on some unsavory forums, with an s, for the time being) that anyone who cares about this sort of cut content is actually a pervert only concerned with the sexual content, or associated with far-right websites and devilishly hiding his political hate group grooming intentions by speaking about "so-called consumer rights", or that the actual problem anyone complaining about this has is repressing creative vision (who actually love to be censored) and is "against diversity".

Once the right spin will be found, they'll be sure to run a story with the solidified narrative. That Censored Gaming channel will be the first target, and they'd look into any political connection to whoever runs the channel or even comments on it.
But it would be too late since the cat is already out of the bag and the issue is public enough, and anytime they run a review or coverage ASKING for games to be cut it will undo their efforts to distance themselves from the situation they helped create. They're already right now running some pieces about toxic commenters who are evilly disagreeing with a game review that docks point off a game because it "doesn't have enough diversity", since that could be framed as the commentors repressing "diversity" instead of the game reviewer with the actual power to change metacritic scores and now apparently get Sony to delist games, who is the one repressing creatives and forcing them to comply with political demands in their games or face cancellation.
I think they are being smart for once. Usually NPC media antagonizes the fanbase and bring attention to whatever problem they want to "correct", only making things worse for them. Staying quiet about it and letting it poison gaming slowly is the correct course of action for deranged ideologues.
I wondering if they really care about whatever they fight for (do all the thing stated above) why they don't enlist for political party activist/media rather than work at some platform holder game company/media? (will make the progressive movement more faster and meaningfull). Sometimes I can really confuse about what some westerner think lol
This is just entertainment games, slapping rating label is enough. Censoring this will not curing pedophillia while not to will infected people with it. This only make developer lost money and customer
Nothing positive can be gain from this move.
If they really care about morality better to make some educational games. Much better focused, content, target market and result too

Last edited:

CatCouch

In case no one posted it yet and/or want to make a thread - http://www.siliconera.com/2018/11/0...er-but-bathing-scenes-are-steamier-than-ever/
I don't like options being take away from me to fit some agenda or people, so rather annoyed that this is even a thing.
Damn, there is a lot of trolling in those comments. Why are some viewing everything as pedo? By the logic being applied in those comments, a game like Mario Odyssey would be about underage marriage, lol.

GameRevolution has given their take on Sony's censorship:

After catering to the audience for so long, fans have come to expect those sort of titles on Sony’s black boxes. So, fans are understandably more than miffed that games that are being released on Nintendo Switch and Xbox One completely uncensored are now being changed for PlayStation 4 due to the Sony censorship policy. It really has been a huge 180 from Sony, as they went from being the most vocally supportive of these niche games to being the most restrictive overnight.

In the short-term they’re causing companies a lot of financial stress. For example, Japanese developer Light completed development on Silverio Trinity, yet can’t release its game yet (despite having a timed exclusivity agreement with Sony) since it’s undergoing a “strict inspection.” Other studios are having to change games at the last minute and delay titles as well. It’s a complete mess, and all due to poor messaging from the platform holder. What’s OK on the platform a month ago shouldn’t suddenly become not okay. They need to establish a standard and stick to it.

It says a lot that Sony only seems to be going after sexually suggestive games with what is and isn’t allowed. While AAA titles like Grand Theft Auto V and Call of Duty feature endless amount of humans to murder, gratuitous violence seems to be totally fine in the eyes on Sony’s corporate decision makers despite the fact that tragedies resulting from gun violence happen on a daily basis. It’s an authentically American attitude from a Japanese point of view, as violence has long been fine on U.S. televisions while sexual content has to be edited out due to concerns.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Thanks for linking to the article The Mad Draklor The Mad Draklor much appreciated for the level-headed and balanced article. I never heard the site GameRevolution if someone wishes to give me insight on its content, I might double on that.

petran79

Banned
It actually is on PS4..

I remember I had backed the crowdfunding campaign back then. Had no idea it arrived later also on PS4.
I also remembered that Princess Maker 5 on Steam had the cabaret job removed. I also caught a dialog there where the 10 year old daughter says one grandpa asked her for directions, yet she refused to step in his car. In another scene a stranger asks her for lunch in a fast food. Game also offers the option to bath or sleep with the girl who was brought from another world.
Game offers the option to marry father or mother too.

Yet all fall on Super Seducer....

Crowdfunding is also a contributing factor widening the gap between smaller developers and corporate management.

CatCouch

After seeing that more and more games are being yanked around by Sony I've made the decision to drop them any chance I can. I cancelled about 10 preorders and reordered them on the Switch or Xbox One. I'm only keeping two games ordered as they are exclusives (Persona Dancing and Omen of Sorrow, which is supposedly on Xbox One but I don't see it on Amazon).

It feels good. I've been attached to Sony for too long, sitting in bed with the Switch is refreshing (which I will be doing with Death Mark soon). I fired up my Xbox one for the first time in two years and updated it. I'll be playing Spyro on it. I reordered Resident Evil 2 remake for it, too! Trophies no longer having meaning since the platform is damaged for me.

All these Final Fantasy games coming to the Switch and Xbox one is helping me feel better.

Sony represents an aspect of western culture I cannot accept. As an artist that draws erotic content, the constant pressure to drop it from those who don't understand it is extremely frustrating and insulting. I will keep my money for companies that treat me with some level of respect!

danielberg

Neophyte
After seeing that more and more games are being yanked around by Sony I've made the decision to drop them any chance I can. I cancelled about 10 preorders and reordered them on the Switch or Xbox One. I'm only keeping two games ordered as they are exclusives (Persona Dancing and Omen of Sorrow, which is supposedly on Xbox One but I don't see it on Amazon).

It feels good. I've been attached to Sony for too long, sitting in bed with the Switch is refreshing (which I will be doing with Death Mark soon). I fired up my Xbox one for the first time in two years and updated it. I'll be playing Spyro on it. I reordered Resident Evil 2 remake for it, too! Trophies no longer having meaning since the platform is damaged for me.

All these Final Fantasy games coming to the Switch and Xbox one is helping me feel better.

Sony represents an aspect of western culture I cannot accept. As an artist that draws erotic content, the constant pressure to drop it from those who don't understand it is extremely frustrating and insulting. I will keep my money for companies that treat me with some level of respect!

Aside from some exclusives there isnt even a need anymore for anything but pc, steam and co dont censor anymore and you literally get every third party game anyway including stuff that was previously though to never come to pc in a timely manner like FF,DQ, Nier, DMC etc Arrogant first place sony is already the worst but now with HQ in commiefornia with sjw as gatekeepers in hr it makes no sense to still support them until they change.
I rather wait half a year for FF7R on pc which is already better because it wont get replaced with new consoles or i might just buy a xbox just for that game, its kinda mindblowing how sony jumps on the sjw trend just as it is on the downswing lol Bunch of fools.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

For. Fucks. Sake. Sony.

Get your heads outta your asses and stop being dumb. You were doing *so freakin' well* at the start of this gen and now you are pulling a Microsoft. Don't pull a Microsoft.

For me, I've been gradually getting my PC parts. Bought my SSD, power supply, and GPU. Now, I need to get an HDD, case, CPU, motherboard, and RAM. All the news about Sony's censorship over the past weeks made me not want to boot up my PS4.

For. Fucks. Sake. Sony.

Get your heads outta your asses and stop being dumb. You were doing *so freakin' well* at the start of this gen and now you are pulling a Microsoft. Don't pull a Microsoft.

Woof...

CatCouch

For. Fucks. Sake. Sony.

This can't be real, can it? Censoring the game after it already launched? While I guess one could just not patch it, this is exactly the kind of thing that will stop me from buying anything on a Sony platform. I'm already feeling better about cancelling all those PS4 preorders!

PC is where everything will end up eventually, huh?

CatCouch

Aside from some exclusives there isnt even a need anymore for anything but pc, steam and co dont censor anymore and you literally get every third party game anyway including stuff that was previously though to never come to pc in a timely manner like FF,DQ, Nier, DMC etc Arrogant first place sony is already the worst but now with HQ in commiefornia with sjw as gatekeepers in hr it makes no sense to still support them until they change.
I rather wait half a year for FF7R on pc which is already better because it wont get replaced with new consoles or i might just buy a xbox just for that game, its kinda mindblowing how sony jumps on the sjw trend just as it is on the downswing lol Bunch of fools.
That last part is what's getting me. Why is Sony doing this right as Steam and Nintendo lift restrictions and court more lewd, fan service and adult games. Even the Xbox One is getting more Japanese games than before. The move away from Sony is much easier than I thought when I started researching it today.

This can only harm them as it harms developers and publishers. This gives people more ground to fight on since it can't just be written off as "lol, you care about anime titties?".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I said it somewhere before, but when you're the big cheese (Sony) with the most eyes on you, it's all about the $$$ and getting as little negativity as possible.

Not surprisingly, they'll censor niche games because 99% of gamers won't care. Most of them don't even know the Japanese games even being censored. Sony is willing to lose any sales royalties and gamer backlash for these games.

But when $$$ are on the line, you won't see them trying to tighten a grip on R* or even their own ultra violent games like GoW and TLoU.

If Sony was third place and begging for a bigger user base, pretty sure they'd be open arms. Heck, even family friendly Nintendo is opening up. Just like last gen when Xbox was doing well..... no crossplay. Xbox doing half what it did last gen and suddenly it's all about gamers and pro-crossplay.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This can't be real, can it? Censoring the game after it already launched? While I guess one could just not patch it, this is exactly the kind of thing that will stop me from buying anything on a Sony platform. I'm already feeling better about cancelling all those PS4 preorders!

PC is where everything will end up eventually, huh?
I just can't use PC. Not a fan of the digital shit. I will buy some games, like Nekopara when they have physical releases - but nothing more than that.

cdthree

What the SJW's fail to grasp is that on your best day you represent 50 percent of the population. When the other 50 percent get fed-up, resentful and start to push back your movement will collapse like every other unassailable corporation, empire and person that's barely a footnote in history today. Not to mention the law of unintended consequences. Puah too hard and fast and you might end up in worse position faster than you thought possible. Better to release some pressure in a harmless way than a boot to someone's throat telling them the right way to think or live. People cannot be forced to live a certain way in their daily lives for long.

kunonabi

Censoring already released games is getting into incredibly dangerous territory. I really hope they dont start going through old stuff I already paid for.

I've got my to-buy list down to about 10 as far as new games go but I'm starting think about cutting it down even more with these recent developments.

Senhua

I don't understand who Sony doing this for? Censoring these games will not attract people who are not interested in these type of games in the first place. It will only piss off actual fans who willing tobuy these already very niche games.Do you guys think Sony might censoring Nero Glasses in Catherine? http://www.siliconera.com/2018/11/0...-nero-glasses-shows-girls-in-their-nightwear/
20181101_014416_thumb.jpg

Based on the Japanese gaming buzz and community here, they are all in doubt CFB will be censored cause the new girl suspected to be a trap and you know how Sony feels about the LGBT community, doesn't mean that I and others will buying the games new, though.

Not surprisingly, they'll censor niche games because 99% of gamers won't care. Most of them don't even know the Japanese games even being censored. Sony is willing to lose any sales royalties and gamer backlash for these games.
Your above statement be better applied to the market outside Japan though I pretty sure East Asian region will be same as Japan.
True, the market size in Japan arguably small (though I do not dare to say 1%) : According to media create, fanservice games (IDF, Marvelous, Furyuu, H2 etc) usually sold about 5k-10k copies in the first week, while the AAA games around 30k-100k so around 10% of AAA market.

The Target market for fanservice Japanese games are mainly otakus and they are only follow games not the platform. If this fanservice features censored, what left in the product to be sell to them? as I'm sure will not make the mainstream Japanese gamers suddenly care about this game.
So as I stated before, for all parties nothing gained for this move. Sony loses Japanese market and image, otakus loses games, developer loses $ while mainstream gamers will keep buying mainstream games as usual.

Now there is a matter about how Sony do the content inspection for Japanese domestic games:
- English only application in California time
- There are no general public guidance about how this must be enforced
- There are different from game per game bases even for the already released game or the approved game currently in the physical production stage

This will make bad perception to general Japanese public (not only otakus) and in the end will snowballing to the sales and production of non fanservice ps4 games.
Don't forget one of the reason why XBOX bomb in Japan is "gaijin made product" mindset.
If this persist, this move will kill playstation in Japan I think.

Is this the thread for angry perverts?
Trhf4Rd.gif

Last edited:

CatCouch

I just can't use PC. Not a fan of the digital shit. I will buy some games, like Nekopara when they have physical releases - but nothing more than that.
I've been very happy to find that most of what I was going to buy on the PS4 is on either the Switch or the Xbox One. That makes things much easier on me as I prefer physical. Maybe we'll see more collectors editions for PC games if the market moves that way.

I did buy a physical edition of Starless with an art book and stuff so I'm down for more of that! Otherwise, I'm enjoying all the adult games on Steam that take nothing to run and are dirt cheap. I can't believe I'm having more fun with games like Eroico and Evenicle than I am with full games on my PS4 like AC Odyssey. I actually feel good, like I'm free from Sony! Thank you Sony for destroying yourself enough to force me out into a brighter world!

Sannakji

Banned
This has to be due to the SJW-types infiltrating the HR/PR departments in these companies and spreading their BS.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that they have used the failure of the Vita to get this policy. "If you let the PS4 get all those awful games with sexy girls like the Vita did, it will hurt your brand!" And the VPs and such ate it up.

Can you back up literally any of this tinfoil hat theory with fact or is it all 'This HAS to be the Boogeyman'/sneaking suspicions?

Sony. Sony. Sony.

y8Ea8jB.gif

What the heck is going on over there? Is this in response to something in particular? Has there been a change in Japanese censorship laws? I just don't get it.

They are chasing developers into Nintendo's arms.

Yeah because Nintendo is all about that underage anime tiddy LOOOOOOOOOOL.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Again, this was never about telling someone what they can or can't say, but merely pointing out that they are not guaranteed a platform from which to say it. When Fox News was at it's apex, you didn't hear the left screaming about how they should be allowed on there to spread their message as well. Freedom of speech says that the government wont punish you for what you say, but that's it. Other people don't have to listen to what you are saying.

To be honest, I'm done with this whole conversation. Everything that gets posted is some variation of "Paypal, Youtube, Twitter, Etc. should be forced to carry content they don't want to", and that is in violation of the law.

Glad to see thus isnt true. Too bad you dont want to engage in the other issues I mentioned.

I am curious as to why you think there is no anti war movement in American politics. Do you think it has anything to do with corporate own, corporate agenda driven media and the very means of communication itself and the subsequent deplatforming of alternative voices? Do you think private ownership of all the airwaves and the internet is a good thing?

I get that you think the deplatforming of unpopular/disgusting voices is a good thing, but have really thought about the implications.

autoduelist

I find two problems with this.

1: Any kind of governmental regulation would only serve to further cement these companies as vital, unreplaceable elements of life, instead of the potentially temporary replaceable companies that they are. Friendster and Myspace didn't stay on top forever, there's no reason to think that Facebook will be around forever as well. Same with Twitter. We existed without these companies once, we'll survive if they go away, and they don't need any official help to stay in business and in power.

2: You - are - not - guaranteed - a - platform. Nobody is guaranteed the right to be heard, only the right to speak freely, and trying to create laws to force these private companies to allow anyone to broadcast their message, whether they want to or not, is a terrible idea.

Just because there's a remote possibility of power shifts does not mean the current companies in control of social media aren't entrenched and powerful. Pointing to the failure of companies like Myspace during the formation period of social media is rather meaningless in regards to Twitter banning someone.

" you are not guaranteed a platform" is a talking point not a logical argument. It's regurgitate nonsense. It skips all of the discussion people are trying to have and jumps right to a conclusion. well, maybe we all should be guaranteed a platform. even your approach suggests you have the entire discussion backwards. My post specifically mentions government should not be given control. However, you look at this with the presumption that it would be dealt with the government laws. That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying in this modern age where the digital Town Square is a real thing, or at least as real as a digital thing can be, perhaps we as citizens have some sort of Rights. Or at least, perhaps we could be critical of Corporations across the board and not forgive them and excuse them when they ban people we don't like.

Note that rights are not given by the government. Privileges are given by government. Rights exist because we 'are', and governments in their best form exist to protect our rights. The US government does not give us the right to free speech. If it did, it wouldn't be a right in the first place, it would be a privilege.

And what i am suggesting this that perhaps we've reached the point in these public digital Commons where a few small companies should not control who gets to have a platform or not. That the very concept of a few companies controlling public discourse in that matter is so problematic that we need to rethink how we progress our society.

The idea that this issue can be swept under the rug with talking points about platforms and private companies only holds water if you're okay with people you don't like being silenced on a global scale. if you acknowledge that people being silenced on a global scale is an issue, it forces us to actually have a deeper discussion about rights, privileges, and responsibilities. Yes, I have an issue with a government regulating speech, and I have an issue with government regulating a private Enterprise, and I have a problem with a socially critical private Enterprise silencing people. Yes, this makes a solution very difficult as many things fly at Cross purposes. But that is exactly why it needs to be discussed, and that is exactly why it is worthy of being discussed without sweeping it under the rug.

I'm not okay with a few people in Silicon Valley essentially controlling public discourse. And yes, the ability to silence people at will from big social media constitutes control, and it's stifling to those who do not want to be banned. It is okay if someone's posts a crazy idea like Jone' s tends to do. That is what discussions is for, we talk through things. The idea that a few companies need to protect us is laughable.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Nekopara-PS4-Switch-Compare_11-01-18_004.jpg

Dude, are you blind or what?

They have nearly 70 posts after 24 hours. They are clearly a troll. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they had an account here that they suicided during the exodus and decided to return to troll with a new account.

Isn't it the same, just without the "icon" being black? The violence scene has been editted out...or that was how the scene originaly was? Sorry did not played the game.

I think the picture of the woman opening her mouth should have been completely censored, if this is true and Aksys really lied to protect Sony then this news is huge that it require its own thread.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I think the picture of the woman opening her mouth should have been completely censored, if this is true and Aksys really lied to protect Sony then this news is huge that it require its own thread.
Wouldn't be the first time Aksys lied about something.

The possibility that Aksys would lie to cover Sony's ass partially explains why Sony's censorship isn't getting more coverage than it should. Not only are the more mainstream sites being hush-hush about it, but also certain publishers.

I've occasionally checked the petition and I'm actually surprised that it's still getting signatures albeit at a gradual pace. Total amount of signatures are still very small, though.

Looks like according from /v/ Aksys lied about the death mark being censored because of ESRB.
This is the clip from switch one:
https://webmshare.com/5B5jB
To be honest, it seemed like this was always going to be the case. The comment about the ESRB came from a messy review article that didn't bother to provide a direct quote. A comment Aksys supposedly provided to Censored Gaming said "...the image in question was flagged...and [they] complied with the request...and made the decision to modify the game." Nothing in their comment mentioned the ESRB or specified who flagged the image.

The aforementioned tweet, for anyone interested: .

I wrote either earlier in this thread or another related one, but I find this alteration potentially even more concerning, because it suggests the notion of violence/improper treatment of women is enough to get something censored, regardless of whether any sexual aspects are present.

Senhua

Isn't it the same, just without the "icon" being black? The violence scene has been editted out...or that was how the scene originaly was? Sorry did not played the game.
Yup as stated above. This is the censorship comparison between the localized and the Japanese one (ps4)

I'm happy the switch version is viable but goddamn they're flat out lying to try and cover for Sony.

Can we get a link to the /v/ thead?
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/437750093

I still not to make a thread because this the only source I can find about this.

Last edited:

kunonabi

So the EU Switch version is censored which means the above clip is either faked or the US Switch version is the only uncensored one.

Top Bottom