• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony funneling gamers to all digital?

THIS IS JUST A THEORY. So after watching the Sony showcase on the 16th I came away thinking that they were trying to establish some sort of gamepass like service to compete with MS with thier Playstation Plus Collection. The more and more I thought about it started to become clear that Sony wants you to buy the Digital Edition PS5 and below is my rationalization.

The most obvious reason why Sony wants you to buy digital is the profit margin on all the software. Sony knocked it out of the park last gen (wierd saying that now) producing blockbuster AAA after blockbuster AAA with almost all of them being critically successful. Financial speaking if these would become digital sales it would greatly benefit Sony.

So here the "evidence" part:

- The DE is $100 cheaper, without any technical sacrifice (obvious the drive) which will entice way more gamers to adopt early.

- The Playstation Plus Collection gives all adopters access to the best PS4 titles digitally, instantly (after downloading). This is big for two reasons. The first being it will entice last gen Xone gamers to come to the dark side and experience all these games but the bigger reason IMO is to entice last gen PS owners to come over to the DE leaving behind thier physical collections without feeling that much of a loss.

- Another minor indicator DMC5 SE is digital only at launch.

Just some straight up speculation but i could see this becoming the future and Sony succeeding where MS failed with thier original messaging of the Xone.

The big flaw to that theory is that the DE is going to be extremely scarce.
I think it is scarce now because Sony didn't originally plan to release one. I think they felt safe doing it after discovering MS was releasing and all DE console as well. Im not saying they pulled the trigger last minute, it could have been years ago but definitely after all the alot of the work from the standard edition was underway. This could have caused them to start producing the DE later resulting in less supply now.

Max_Po

Banned
I think Digital Stock will show up after months... The prices are too high.

I think everyone will go Physical so they can trade in games...

If PS5 is backwards compatible with PS4 games then why would the PS+ Collection matter as a perk?? Did no one else find that strange?

sn0man

I think it is scarce now because Sony didn't originally plan to release one. I think they felt safe doing it after discovering MS was releasing and all DE console as well. Im not saying they pulled the trigger last minute, it could have been years ago but definitely after all the alot of the work from the standard edition was underway. This could have caused them to start producing the DE later resulting in less supply now.
This seems convincing until you look at the console design. I feel like they started focusing on digital fairly early.

Max_Po

Banned
If PS5 is backwards compatible with PS4 games then why would the PS+ Collection matter as a perk?? Did no one else find that strange?

For the new players.

Also, lets not forget PS4 has more than 18 games... or what ever is in the perk.

Last edited:

sn0man

So all will be revealed when the UI and experience starts. Right now a PS4/PS4PRO can be used offline. You can create offline profiles and all that.

We’ve seen nothing on PS5 UI yet. It wouldn’t surprise me if they go the xbox route and require an online connection to create profiles to play games and save progress. If they do I wouldn’t be surprised.

And worst of all
but nobody else will and offline consoles will be dead except Switch.

Well if Sony wants you to convert to the DE and you currently have all the ps4 discs would have that collection available digital for free ( minus ps plus) soften the blow of transitioning? Honestly has there been a better time to go all digital? Another point the PS5 renders your PS1/2/3 discs useless unless you still own one of those legacy consoles.

McHuj

Yes. I think the only reason the DE is in such low supply is due to cost. As soon as costs come down, I think the supply of the DE will exceed the disc version. This is a long term play.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Yes. Digital is the goal. All of the incentives you listed are part of that.

The whole “Digital units are rare” narrative isn’t taking into account retailers having an interest in keeping physical alive. Moreover early adopters will prefer physical-they are the diehards and enthusiasts like people on this forum. That preference for disks changes drastically once you start looking at the larger market. The initial shipments will lean heavier to physical as a result-like any good business Sony is trying to meet their customers where they are and incentivize them to go digital.

Yes. Digital is the goal. All of the incentives you listed are part of that.

The whole “Digital units are rare” narrative isn’t taking into account retailers having an interest in keeping physical alive. Moreover early adopters will prefer physical-they are the diehards and enthusiasts like people on this forum. That preference for disks changes drastically once you start looking at the larger market. The initial shipments will lean heavier to physical as a result-like any good business Sony is trying to meet their customers where they are and incentivize them to go digital.
Very good point, i agree it will be in the best interest of the brick and mortar stores to push the PE.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

It will be a great perk for people going to Sony for the first time or those that skipped PS4 this gen. But yeah, for returnees not really a big deal.

Bryank75

Banned
As has been pointed out DE versions are hard to come by and that is probably for two reasons.... they are taking a loss on those and enthusiasts are the first to buy and are willing to pay higher (particularly around launch).

I imagine these DE's will become more common next year and will be popular with casuals and kids, I am buying one for my kid.

I think going all digital would be a mistake, they open themselves to be seen as a monopoly and be questioned and fined by Europe and Congress in the US. They would also lose all the stores that sell the hardware and accessories etc etc.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The big flaw to that theory is that the DE is going to be extremely scarce.
I think the DE serves to put a 399$ price tag on the unit more than anything else.

There's a 2.5 to 1 ratio of the disc version being shipped more than the DE version though.

Portugeezer

The fact that they haven't manufactured many DE for launch tells me they're not funnelling anything, it would have been a dick (and smart) move to have a higher ratio of digital editions.

As has been pointed out DE versions are hard to come by and that is probably for two reasons.... they are taking a loss on those and enthusiasts are the first to buy and are willing to pay higher (particularly around launch).

I imagine these DE's will become more common next year and will be popular with casuals and kids, I am buying one for my kid.

I think going all digital would be a mistake, they open themselves to be seen as a monopoly and be questioned and fined by Europe and Congress in the US. They would also lose all the stores that sell the hardware and accessories etc etc.
While at first i think it would suck for all digital but i feel over time Sony could adjust the prices accordingly because of the new revenue or put that money back into making even higher quality games. Im probably just wishful thinking though. This is the first time ever i am truly thinking about going all digital and i never thought this day would come.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
While at first i think it would suck for all digital but i feel over time Sony could adjust the prices accordingly because of the new revenue or put that money back into making even higher quality games. Im probably just wishful thinking though. This is the first time ever i am truly thinking about going all digital and i never thought this day would come.
I think it's ok as long as the physical option is there. I understand the attraction to digital and the console looks way better without the disc port.

CouzinD

Well, I’ve jumped into the Digital era with the PS5, and I’m fully ready for it. It will take sometime before we see good deals on the PS Store, but probably the last 20 odd games I’ve bought for PS4 were all digital.

im ready.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PC is king of digital and it’s been on display to SONY and Microsoft who respect them, so it’s very hard to take discs seriously anymore.

They are moving toward digital yes, but not specifically with the digital edition. I think the DE is more an experiment of sorts and a way to get in at a lower price so Sony can say they have a $400 PS5.

By late this gen/next gen I'd guess the majority (85%?) of sales will be digital. A physical release will be like a collectors edition. I imagine this gen we'll see a lot more only digital releases, places like GS go out of business and stuff like that. It'll be basically like PC gaming I think.

Last edited:

Aidah

Gamers are funneling themselves to digital, they don't need any help.

You know what though, the PS+ collection did make it easier for me to pick the digital edition for the exact reason you listed.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Someone please explain this to me as it hasn't been clear -
if I own a game digitally on PS4 - can I just download it on the PS5?

oldergamer

This seems convincing until you look at the console design. I feel like they started focusing on digital fairly early.
No chance! the only difference is no disc and a different case. That to me seems like little effort. I doubt they came up with that idea early if series S did not exist, we wouldnt have a digital version until costs came down

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Digital.....games you don't really own, you can't trade in and are rarely cheaper than physical. Digital is fine if there is a major sale but not for new releases

Digital.....games you don't really own, you can't trade in and are rarely cheaper than physical. Digital is fine if there is a major sale but not for new releases
You get pennies on the dollar for trade in, there are digital sales all the time and there is no cost difference between PE and DE new.....

Zerotex

PS Plus Collection is not a big deal... the most part of people looking to get the console on day one its a hardcore game that already had Ps4 and problaby already played that games... They are doing this to justify the lack of new games at launch.

DE with only 800gb ssd and $70 pricentag for new games it is a no go for me. Games will be more affordable at retailers in short time and you have the option to get a pre owned. I think its not worth in the long run.

PSN price could go sky high anytime when my country currency lost values against dolar.

PS Plus Collection is not a big deal... the most part of people looking to get the console on day one its a hardcore game that already had Ps4 and problaby already played that games... They are doing this to justify the lack of new games at launch.

DE with only 800gb ssd and $70 pricentag for new games it is a no go for me. Games will be more affordable at retailers in short time and you have the option to get a pre owned. I think its not worth in the long run.

PSN price could go sky high anytime when my country currency lost values against dolar.
Yeah i strongly disagree with this. PS Plus Collection is a huge deal. I have been a PS4 owner since day one and i have yet to play Days Gone, Detroit, Until Dawn, RE7, MKX, Batman AK, The Last Guardian and others. I am extremely excited to get these with no additional purchase and probably would not of played them otherwise. And the lack of games at launch!? Are you serious?

Dark Souls
SM MM
Godfall
Sackboy
Destruction Allstars
All multiplats

And shortly after

Ratchet and Clank
Returnal
Deathloop
Kena
More multiplats

Zerotex

Yeah i strongly disagree with this. PS Plus Collection is a huge deal. I have been a PS4 owner since day one and i have yet to play Days Gone, Detroit, Until Dawn, RE7, MKX, Batman AK, The Last Guardian and others. I am extremely excited to get these with no additional purchase and probably would not of played them otherwise. And the lack of games at launch!? Are you serious?

Dark Souls
SM MM
Godfall
Sackboy
Destruction Allstars
All multiplats

And shortly after

Ratchet and Clank
Returnal
Deathloop
Kena
More multiplats

You didnt play RE7, Days Gone, Last Guardian, Batman Ak and Detroit.. why should you care to play Godfall, Sackboy, Destruction All Star!?
Spiderman is cross gen
Demon Souls ita the only you should care, but u need to play a lot of great games on Ps4 and u shouldnt bother to grab a Ps5 now.

You didnt play RE7, Days Gone, Last Guardian, Batman Ak and Detroit.. why should you care to play Godfall, Sackboy, Destruction All Star!?
Spiderman is cross gen
Demon Souls ita the only you should care, but u need to play a lot of great games on Ps4 and u shouldnt bother to grab a Ps5 now.
I dont have to play every game coming to PS to see there is a wide selection. Also why not both? You must be trolling at this point.

Journey

Banned
NfgOC7d.gif

Zerotex

I dont have to play every game coming to PS to see there is a wide selection. Also why not both? You must be trolling at this point.

No, what im saying is that Ps Plus Collection its just a weak bait from Sony. Most people (hardcore gamer and Ps fan) already played that games on Ps4.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Retailers want the physical too....
That's probably the main reason. Stores told Sony they'll carry digital consoles but not that many because it goes counter to customers coming in to buy game discs with it.

If anyone here was a store manager why would you try to purposely order tons of digital consoles, break even on it and aside from maybe the gamer buying a second controller, you'll never get a dime out of the guy for the rest of the generation?

You're going to go through all that hassle and ordering expensive hardware in hopes to make $25 profit off a second controller?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Sony appears to be pulling the old bait and switch. Like the baker who puts out a street sign that say 99 cent bread, bakes 10 loaves, and the bakes 300 more loaves that are "extra size" and puts them on the shelf next to the empty one for $1.49.
Its pretty lame.

Codes 208

No, what im saying is that Ps Plus Collection its just a weak bait from Sony. Most people (hardcore gamer and Ps fan) already played that games on Ps4.
Or mainly just PS4 gamers. I consider myself a hardcore gamer but most of my third party games are either on my xbox one x or my pc.

so I don’t have the PS4 version of games like monster hunter world

TheGrat1

I really do not understand why people equate the Plus collection that was announced to Gamepass. One is an ongoing and growing subscription service for games the other is just a package of games that you get with PS Plus, just restricted to PS5 owners. They really are not the same thing at all.

Top Bottom