• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY: 7.8M PS5s, 338.9M games sold; posts record profit of $10.5Bn

dj khaled GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I know this may be hard to believe but on one the most recent BRAP, Basement Radio Arcade Podcasts, there was an official playstation rep or employee on the show. Heres what he had to say about everything that transpired the last month:

-Jim Ryan is awesome because he cares about minorities and diversity in the work place. and how sony is fully behind the verdict of the George Floyd case.
-You may not want a last of us remake but "lets face it, youll buy it anyways."
-I didnt listen to the whole thing and most of the other podcasters went on rants that I persoanlly woudlnt have went on if a freaking sony rep was on my show.

Like this was after a bad month of press this is what the sony rep wanted BRAP to focus on to make him/us think playstation is doing just fine. Look everyone has opinions but that seems like a bizarre and arrogant way of thinking thats going to make people think youre making good business decisions.
"Sony rep or employee"
Austin Powers Movie GIF

You stated it as a fact, therefore no confirmation is possible. You also missed the word "apparently" in my post which would also exclude me from confirming anything.

Either way you're obviously interested in dick, as that has been the object of every post in thread if I'm not mistaken. So go eat some, and get your fill of it. Maybe that would take your mind off of it. 🤷‍♂️
Apparently I just continued on your apparent speculation, and you apparently confirmed my apparent continuation.
You apparently took offense on my apparently accurate metaphor.

Dabaus

Banned
Yeah, I know that guy for a long time.... he doesn't play much PlayStation, he's more of an xbox guy. Was friendly with the SDGC guys....
He runs A good podcast hence the reason I was listening to it. I think I was just more taken aback by PlayStation sort of had a bad month of PR and the Sony rep is running damage control in THAT was the message they wanted to put out there. Not we have a lot of games and development we have an announced, we’re hearing your concerns about backwards compatibility, or anything like that.

Neff

Profit doesn't paint an accurate picture at all

It certainly paints an accurate picture of an entertainment corporation which eliminated a decade of savings with reckless spending, became riddled with debt, was forced to sell off property to stay in business, and was at one point considered terminal according to analysts due to significant cashflow problems all stemming from a consistent lack of profit.

Profit is how Sony survived the PS3, don't knock it.

Unknown?

It certainly paints an accurate picture of an entertainment corporation which eliminated a decade of savings with reckless spending, became riddled with debt, was forced to sell off property to stay in business, and was at one point considered terminal according to analysts due to significant cashflow problems all stemming from a consistent lack of profit.

Profit is how Sony survived the PS3, don't knock it.
Pretty sure he was saying one aspect of your finances isn't painting the whole picture, not insinuating that they disregard profit all together.

Neff

Pretty sure he was saying one aspect of your finances isn't painting the whole picture, not insinuating that they disregard profit all together.

Well he straight up said revenue is more important than profit in business, which is one of the more barmy examples of mental gymnastics and goalpost-moving I've seen in my time online.

Again using PS3 as an example, the revenue was handsome and encouraging, but there were no profits. Only losses. They lost vast, vast sums of money on it and it nearly ended them.

A business simply cannot run without profits. Loans allow you to invest and stay afloat, but without profits you will inevitably founder.

Unknown?

Well he straight up said revenue is more important than profit in business, which is one of the more barmy examples of mental gymnastics and goalpost-moving I've seen in my time online.

Again using PS3 as an example, the revenue was handsome and encouraging, but there were no profits. Only losses. They lost vast, vast sums of money on it and it nearly ended them.

A business simply cannot run without profits. Loans allow you to invest and stay afloat, but without profits you will inevitably founder.
Ah I just glanced over his post. Yeah I wouldn't say more important but still a very important aspect.

Entroyp

I know this may be hard to believe but on one the most recent BRAP, Basement Radio Arcade Podcasts, there was an official playstation rep or employee on the show. Heres what he had to say about everything that transpired the last month:

-Jim Ryan is awesome because he cares about minorities and diversity in the work place. and how sony is fully behind the verdict of the George Floyd case.
-You may not want a last of us remake but "lets face it, youll buy it anyways."
-I didnt listen to the whole thing and most of the other podcasters went on rants that I persoanlly woudlnt have went on if a freaking sony rep was on my show.

Like this was after a bad month of press this is what the sony rep wanted BRAP to focus on to make him/us think playstation is doing just fine. Look everyone has opinions but that seems like a bizarre and arrogant way of thinking thats going to make people think youre making good business decisions.

Is that podcast run by 13 Year olds?

b6a6es

Banned
Nintendo operating profits Result for 3 quarters of FY2020 = $4.8bn

Playstation operating profits result for 4 quarters of FY2020 = $3.15bn

Reee users are stupid for comparing PlayStation operating profits vs Nintendo net profits.
Then why don’t you compare Nintendo’s Console Division with the PlayStation one ? Instead of comparing an entire company with a single Division ? Because I don’t wanna start comparing the whole of Sony corp & Nintendo comparisons (with sony being much bigger) only for both to be absolutely Dwarfed by Microsoft

Last edited:

Tomeru

I did word that badly, no of course not. They account for units sold which are a combination of units bought by scalpers (and then sold to end-consumers) and the ones bought directly by end-consumers.

I just wonder how many of those were direct to end-consumers. Not sure if there's any data on that.
Again, I don't understand what scalpers matter to the way Sony counts numbers?

ethomaz

Banned
Again, I don't understand what scalpers matter to the way Sony counts numbers?
I believe it is because for some narratives scalpers consoles doesn't sell games lol
Obvious it is false claim in som many ways.

At the end the console is in the consumers hands and sells games... there is no difference between a scalper console and a retail one.

Scalper is a second hand seller except he doesn't open the box (most of times lol).

Last edited:

Tutomos

Nintendo operating profits Result for 3 quarters of FY2020 = $4.8bn

Playstation operating profits result for 4 quarters of FY2020 = $3.15bn

Reee users are stupid for comparing PlayStation operating profits vs Nintendo net profits.
Nintendo makes cheap stuff, that's why they make more profits.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
PS+ numbers are insane.

Idk why they think buying a music label is a good idea. Do people buy music still?

Yes! MANY people still buy music.

Returnal + Horizon + Ratchet + GT7

I think it's possible

That's not enough. They're going to need something like GOW:R to be able to beat the past fiscal year in software sales. Especially since they are expecting less 3rd party sales revenue with this new FY.

yurinka

This part is depressing. I didnt see any investments in first party or anything game related beyond the 'strategic' investment in Epic which has nothing to do with gaming. Buying EVO and investing in fucking cloud companies isnt going to get people more exclusives or get more first party games in general.

4.Sony Group Corporation: acquisitions and strategic investments in FY 2020

- Sony Financial Holdings has become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Group for $3.7Bn

- Funimation, a joint venture between Sony Pictures Entertainment and Aniplex, reached a deal to acquire Crunchyroll for $1.2Bn (subject to regulatory approval)

- Sony Corporation of America secured a 4.98% stake in Bilibili after investing US$400 million in cash

- Sony Music Entertainment will buy brazilian music label Som Livre for $255M

- Sony Music Entertainment will buy AWAL for $430M

- Sony Corporation of America made a strategic investment of $450M in Epic Games (2.1 % stake)

- Sony Imaging Products & Solutions acquired Nevion

- Sony Pictures Entertainment subsidiary Affirm Entertainment acquired Pure Flix

- Sony Pictures Television has taken majority stake in UK-based producer Eleven Film

- Sony Group made a strategic investment in Kadokawa (1.93% stake)

- Sony, Tencent and Square Enix made a strategic investment in cloud gaming company Ubitus

- Sony Interactive Entertainment and RTS jointly acquired EVO
We know they are:
-Going to have more exclusives in PS5 than in previous consoles
-Growing the staff of their 1st party studios (multiple quotes from Jimbo and Hermen plus the $183M increase on this budget mentioned today)
-Buying some 1st party studio (multiple quotes from Jimbo), very likely at least one this year (looking at the $183M number)
-More 2nd party games (recently announced a couple, Raymond & the Destiny bosses, Hermen said more are coming, they spent over $300M on this from April to December, there's the Kadokawa deal)
-More 3rd party deals (Jimbo specifically mentioned to be working on this with Japanese pubs and devs, theres the Kadokawa deal)

Yes! MANY people still buy music.

That's not enough. They're going to need something like GOW:R to be able to beat the past fiscal year in software sales. Especially since they are expecting less 3rd party sales revenue with this new FY.
-The end of the supply issues
-Returnal
-Ratchet
-Kena
-Horizon 2
-Deathloop
-Ghostwire Tokyo
-GoWR
-GT7
-Forspoken
-Spider-Man 2
-That 2nd party AAA MP new IP from the Destiny guys could be released next year, they worked on it since 2018
-League of Legends fighting game (with EVO and GGPO creators working on it) being PS4+PS5 console exclusive
-Plus obviously Goodbye Volcano High and Knack III

Last edited:

Unknown?

Yep, we were already moving to almost completely digital future. The pandemic has hastened that significantly. The thing is this trend is unlikely to reverse. Physical games are headed the way of the dodo.
Ugh... So we will soon only be able to own the license to play a game rather than the game itself. I don't mind digital but I do like the option to own games I really love.

Last edited:
Digital games for PS5 can fuck off if the release day price difference is 30 €. I pre ordered Returnal for 50 € while the PSN price is 80€.

I wouldn't have thought that I would change back from a digital buyer to a physical media. But the price difference is just ludicrous.

ethomaz

Banned
Wow

Q4 Digital Download Ratio - 79%

iTtXROU.jpg
And people on Famitsu thread keep denying the digital push with COVID-19 is real even on Japan.
Basically it making any physical tracker useless.

That is why NPD fast moved to tracking both.

79% digital last quarter is just ridiculous.
Even if Japan is not like west it still should be around 50% digital.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Miles is a mega hit and low key the most exciting piece of news. WWS has just found the solution to increased dev times by finding a space in the market for smaller scale episodes to fill the gaps between bigger games. Ironically enough, Uncharted Lost Legacy was aptly named, as it will be forgotten that it was that game that started things. Allows studios to expand without said expansion being an all in bet on one project.

It’s amazing. It means more games.

Nobody understands how important this is. NO ONE seems to get it. I'm glad you pointed it out. It seems to be going under the radar even for video game podcasters.

As long as a company is deemed "tech" it will always get a break. And Sony is not considered a tech stock even though most of it's products are techie in some fashion. Tesla is considered at tech valuations, even though it's really a car company.

Tesla is a tech company that happens to make cars. They ARE NOT a car company.

MEGA PUBLISHERS ACQUISITION WHEN SONY!!??

Why? To gloat about a section of gamers not being able to continue playing franchises that they might have enjoyed for years, only to score points on forum boards the way certain Xbox zealots have the last few months. Sony's approach makes a lot of sense: They embolden their current teams and strenghthen their second party network to diversify their portfolio. Out of their multiple partners, some will prove reliable amd efficient, and their potential acquisition down the line will prove less disruptive to the landscape, and better thought out and executed.

Nobody understands how important this is. NO ONE seems to get it. I'm glad you pointed it out. It seems to be going under the radar even for video game podcasters.

Tesla is a tech company that happens to make cars. They ARE NOT a car company.

Isn't MM basically an expansion pack? Remember those neogaf?

He runs A good podcast hence the reason I was listening to it. I think I was just more taken aback by PlayStation sort of had a bad month of PR and the Sony rep is running damage control in THAT was the message they wanted to put out there. Not we have a lot of games and development we have an announced, we’re hearing your concerns about backwards compatibility, or anything like that.
Sony's move to California has put woke bay area idiots in charge of PR, it seems. If they were going to move headquarters outside of Japan they couldn't have picked a worse place to move it to.

Do you know how much more complicated a gaming console is to build compared to a mobile phone? This size alone should be a hint.
Why don't you people just accept he lied once more?

I believe we a have worked with a colleague that lies through their teeth for no reason. It's one thing to lie internally, your colleagues will know you're a lier but for some reason the higher ups don't notice. But to have the fucking face of the company outright lying to their customers? What happened? Where's the accountability? All trust in Sony has been demolished thanks to Jim Ryan.

Unknown?

Why don't you people just accept he lied once more?

I believe we a have worked with a colleague that lies through their teeth for no reason. It's one thing to lie internally, your colleagues will know you're a lier but for some reason the higher ups don't notice. But to have the fucking face of the company outright lying to their customers? What happened? Where's the accountability? All trust in Sony has been demolished thanks to Jim Ryan.
You just answered the question.

love it. That means they can begin selling psvr2 soon to this fast growing user base.

once it's here with a lineup of big games, I'm in. If it's just BS indie minigames again, I'm definitely out of the PlayStation landscape...

John Wick

There's no real gamble with Apple either but they are still massively overvalued and Microsoft has always been pretty safe too IMO.

Sony was undervalued for 10 years due to macroeconomic issues, Japan being in a recession, currency etc. and now they are coming out of recession and Investors still only see negatives when their gaming business has grown massively.

I think they really need to just go out there and use their cash / debt to make some big moves..... the investments they have made have no real consequence for investors. There is no potential and I think most of them wanted Sony to go out and buy Square or Capcom or someone like that!
Problem with Sony is they don't work as a cohesive unit. They are their own worst enemy. Look at their TVs, for a gaming company they should have by now all their top TVs with a minimum 4 HDMi 4k 120hz with VRR etc as standard. Low input latency and features like freesinc. Absolutely huge missed opportunities when LG and Samsung is offering this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Problem with Sony is they don't work as a cohesive unit. They are their own worst enemy. Look at their TVs, for a gaming company they should have by now all their top TVs with a minimum 4 HDMi 4k 120hz with VRR etc as standard. Low input latency and features like freesinc. Absolutely huge missed opportunities when LG and Samsung is offering this.
Some reason they never have.

All their entire media and entertainment divisions should be working hand in hand to promote each other's products too. You got games, music, movies. You got TVs, audio gear, consoles and media players.

You'd think over the past 30 years they'd be all working together to cross promote each other's products with bundles, free stuff, or deals. No other electronics company I can think of has both hardware for the living room and content to go with it.

Yet in my life, I've seen more Xbox 360 and Samsung/LG bundle deals than Bravia and PS bundles.

Last edited:

EdGalTBR

Banned
Code:
+---------+-------+-------+
| Quarter |  PS4  |  PS5  |
+---------+-------+-------+
|  FY1Q1  |       |       |
|  FY1Q2  |       |       |
|  FY1Q3  |  4.50 |  4.50 |
|  FY1Q4  |  3.10 |  3.30 |
|   FY1   |  7.60 |  7.80 |