• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2014 Q4 (Jan-Mar 2015) Earnings (2.4m PS4 + 400k PS3, 450k PSP+PSV)

interesting, their phone market needs work, their gaming market at least their home console market is awesome. Maybe they should just get out of the phone market?

Joni

ds still got last gen locked down. amazing that all five platforms cleared 80 million though.
The DS is indeed unbeatable, but I was thinking on the home platform level. And yeah, I'm always amazed when I see how the worst-selling platform of the generation easily beat the winners of other generations. I think if you split off Game Boy into Game Boy and Game Boy Color - which you could do fairly in my eyes for a real comparison - the last generation would have had the two best selling handhelds ever together with three of the five best selling consoles.

Yep if they don't cut the price PS3 won't last much longer on the market.
They need to drop to either 129$ or 149$ with games included.
But I have the feeling that they decided against trying to cut manufacturing costs furtherly (probably because of technical difficulties in shrinking Cell+RSX) so they'll ride it out at current price.
Otherwise it wouldn't have made sense to let sales become so weak, no sense to drop the price after the market totally doesn't care anymore.
I wonder if second/third world uptake of the PlayStation 4 has also something to do with it. They had an old plan to support/sell the PlayStation 2 in areas like India when launching the PS3 in the rest of the world. They don't seem to be doing that with PS3 towards the PS4.

Sid

That 16m forecast shows that their will not be a price cut this year

oh right. i was reading the ps3 + ps4 line.

ds still got last gen locked down. amazing that all five platforms cleared 80 million though.
This gen is going to be such a huge drop

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
nvm misread

Edit:

Right here boo:

Euro to JPY taking it's toll.

Mmmh...given the current forecast, I don't know if we can expect a price cut anymore, for this FY, or at least the big price cut ($100). We'll surely see great value bundles, though, especially during Holidays.

Elios83

They have been hard at work cost reducing the PS3 chipset... Server blades for PS Now use them, they are not emulating those games in SW.

I do hope they will bring out a revised PS3 which is cheaper for consumers and for Sony, the console has a few good years left at least ;). It would be fun if they ended up overtaking the Wii and go from PS3 Third Place failure to winning the last generation battle for home consoles hehe ;).

It's definetly weird how they're handling the PS3 business, I think that they have waited too much and at this point the interest in the product is simply vanished so cutting the price now doesn't make a lot of sense.
Probably they also wanted people to quickly adopt the PS4 instead of trying to sell PS3s.

That 16m forecast shows that their will not be a price cut this year

This gen is going to be such a huge drop

They sold 14.8m units this fiscal year, it's absolutely impossible to sell more (16m) leaving the price at 399$ also considering that the competition won't stay without doing anything ;)
A price cut for the year (at least by 50$) is totally confirmed.
Also Sony's forecasts are now intended to be conservative because after so many financial disappointments they want to positevely surprise investors.

Conduit

Banned
So, it's OK to say now that WW sold-trough ratio PS4 - Xbone is 2 : 1.

PS4 WW average monthly sales are around 1.2 mil. THAT'S ASTONISHING!!!

Sid

It's definetly weird how they're handling the PS3 business, I think that they have waited too much and at this point the interest in the product is simply vanished so cutting the price now doesn't make a lot of sense.
Probably they also wanted people to quickly adopt the PS4 instead of trying to sell PS3s.

They sold 14.8m units this fiscal year, it's impossible to sell more (16m) leaving the price at 399$.
A price cut (at least by 50$) is basically confirmed.
Why is it impossible? we have bigger games than last year in 2015

red720

I'm not a financial analysist but is it a concern that PS4 sales have dropped by 600k from the 4th quarter last year?

Elios83

Why is it impossible? we have bigger games than last year in 2015

The price point is totally saturated.
Competition will be more aggressive in the second half of the year.
NPD sales for Q1 (Jan-March) are already slightly down yoy, same for the Japan (although last year launch week was in the tracking period).
They wouldn't forecast a sales growth and slight profit decline if they weren't planning a price cut.
It's all but confirmed.
Only question is how much (likely 50$ + games included during the holiday season).

Sid

The DS is indeed unbeatable, but I was thinking on the home platform level. And yeah, I'm always amazed when I see how the worst-selling platform of the generation easily beat the winners of other generations. I think if you split off Game Boy into Game Boy and Game Boy Color - which you could do fairly in my eyes for a real comparison - the last generation would have had the two best selling handhelds ever together with three of the five best selling consoles.

I wonder if second/third world uptake of the PlayStation 4 has also something to do with it. They had an old plan to support/sell the PlayStation 2 in areas like India when launching the PS3 in the rest of the world. They don't seem to be doing that with PS3 towards the PS4.
In countries like India the PS4 sells for $650 and the PS3 is $350,the uptake,at least over here is fucking garbage

Chobel

PlayStation 3

FY06 - 3.5 million
FY07 - 9.1 million
FY08 - 10.1 million
FY09 - 13.0 million
FY10 - 14.3 million
FY11 - 13.9 million
FY12 - 16.5 million (includes PS2)
FY13 - 7.1 million
FY14 - 3.1 million

Total - 90.6 million

Remember that FY12 figure also includes all PS2 systems sold during that period, anyway I doubt they surpassed the 2 million mark. The previous year PS2 had sold 4.1 million units.

PS3 was at 80 million in the beginning of November 2013. No way it's 90 million now.
http://us.playstation.com/corporate...3-sales-reach-80-million-units-worldwide.html

those are all multiplats where are dem exclusives?

Yeah Sony's 1st party output for the holidays is a bummer as of now. Hopefully we get some good news at E3 but........

These are the games that sell consoles though.

This is the truth. These are the games that are gonna move hardware. The only thing Sony could have really delivered this holiday that would move hardware like these titles is Uncharted 4

18-Volt

Good to see that Vita is still kicking. It proves that it's still possible to revive the system. But Sony will ignore it as always.

NB This isn't a thread for listwars.

Not sure if you are referring to my posts, but if so I'm not doing list wars. I'm listing titles in relation to Sony's projected hardware sales and which titles will boost them YoY.

Software affects hardware output. We are going from 14.8 million to a projected 16 million units.

Celine

PS3 was at 80 million in the beginning of November 2013. No way it's 90 million now.
http://us.playstation.com/corporate...3-sales-reach-80-million-units-worldwide.html
Yes, at the end of FY13, PS3 LTD was lower than 84M:

PS3: 84M *2 *5 (the actual LTD is lower since 80M include part of FY ’13 Q3 shipment, see source *2)

*2:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ach-80-million-units-worldwide-230771611.html
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/hardware_sale_e.html

That would mean PS3 LTD as March 2015 is at most 87M.

Not sure if you are referring to my posts, but if so I'm not doing list wars. I'm listing titles in relation to Sony's projected hardware sales and which titles will boost them YoY.

Software affects hardware output. We are going from 14.8 million to a projected 16 million units.

Just my opinion but Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, Black Ops 3, Metal Gear Solid 5:TPP and Stars Wars Battlefront is a huge step up from last year's lineup. Combine with the assumption of some type of price drop and it seems quite reasonable.

Redhood

OI: 66.9 bln yen increase
·(+) Increase in sales
·(+) Recording of 6.2 bln yen write-off of certain PC software titles in FY13
·(--) Decrease in PS3 software sales
·(--) Unfavorable impact of the appreciation of the U.S. dollar, reflecting the high ratio of U.S. dollar-denominated costs
·(--) Recording of 11.2 bln yen write-down of PS Vita and PS TV components

Can someone please elaborate on the bolded?

Just my opinion but Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, Black Ops 3, Metal Gear Solid 5:TPP and Stars Wars Battlefront is huge step up from last year's lineup.

Yeah I agree. If Sony were projecting a hardware boost alone, i could agree due to just lineup. Even at $399 i think it would be up YoY

But the part that has me thinking a price drop is happening is the statement they expect a drop in operating profit. An increase in volume but less profit? When the PS4 is only getting cheaper to manufacture? Thats got to be a price drop I would think.

But if there is indeed a price drop coming 16 million, with the lineup we have in the back half of the year seems really conservative.

klee123

those are all multiplats where are dem exclusives?

Best versions of multiplats are more useful than exclusives during the X-mas season.

When you think about it, with Sony putting their exclusives during the slow periods and then rely on the annual multiplats during the X-mas season would probably be more effective then putting all of their games during the Oct-Dec period.

Can someone please elaborate on the bolded?
Standard accounting practice requires you to value inventory at the lower of cost or market, i.e. the cost to produce it or the market value of it. They've revalued the inventory holdings of Vita components to reflect their lower market value because it's a dead dead dead system, and so have to record a write-down.

BigDug13

pretty much the only thing coming out flat or up over the previous gen will be the sony console. overall hardware sales might be skew closer to gen 5 numbers than gen 6.

Which is what I expected since I saw the Wii explosion as an anomaly. The actual Nintendo fans who bought a Wii is most likely closer to what GameCube sold, which makes those other 100 million a new demographic that nobody in console gaming is targeting any longer.

This generation is going to be a severe contraction, but it's only going to be a contraction of the previous gen's explosion of new waggle console gamers.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Best versions of multiplats are more useful than exclusives during the X-mas season.

When you think about it, with Sony putting their exclusives during the slow periods and then rely on the annual multiplats during the X-mas season would probably be more effective then putting all of their games during the Oct-Dec period.

depends on what xbox has exclusive wise, sony's have been few and far between and some of them just havent been good,Sony may lose this holidays npd sales again this year due to a weak line up again

meh maybe your right maybe your not it depends on who is buying the system and if they have been doing their homework on the hardware. However how does sony compete with a halo game during the holiday? It doesn't

Celine

Yeah, it's incredible.
More than half billion console were sold last gen (roughly 80+87+84+154+101= 506).
That's why it's easy to predict a contraction this generation compared to the previous one, for the "traditional console segment" at least.

Aceofspades

Banned
depends on what xbox has exclusive wise, sony's have been few and far between and some of them just havent been good,Sony may lose this holidays npd sales again this year due to a weak line up again

What weak lineup? Sony has been pumping games non-stop...oh wait are we back talking about "Sony has no games this holiday season...again?!

Top Bottom