• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2014 Q4 (Jan-Mar 2015) Earnings (2.4m PS4 + 400k PS3, 450k PSP+PSV)

noobie

Banned
SCE FYE3/15
Net Sales: ¥1.388 trillion
Operating Income: ¥48 billion

SCE Q4:
Net Sales ¥289.5 billion
Operating Loss: ¥5.6 billion

FY15 PS4 FCT: 16M PS4

Sales increased 33.0% year-on-year (a 25% increase on a constant currency basis) to 1,388.0 billion yen (11,567 million U.S. dollars). This significant increase was primarily due to an increase in PS4 hardware unit sales, a significant increase in network services revenue, the impact of foreign exchange rates and an increase in PS4 software sales, partially offset by a decrease in PlayStation®3 (“PS3”) hardware and PS3 software sales.

Operating income of 48.1 billion yen (401 million U.S. dollars) was recorded, compared to an operating loss of 18.8 billion yen in the previous fiscal year. This significant improvement was primarily due to the impact of the above-mentioned increase in sales, partially offset by the impact of the decrease in PS3 software sales, the unfavorable impact of the appreciation of the U.S. dollar reflecting the high ratio of U.S. dollar-denominated costs, as well as the recording of an 11.2 billion yen (93 million U.S dollars) write-down of PS Vita and PS TV components in the current fiscal year. In the previous fiscal year, a 6.2 billion yen write-off of certain PC software titles was recorded.

Q26oXrK.png

3_zps1pb5ns1k.jpg

Link

noobie

Banned
Was just about to post this haha.

Good results for gaming.

But you expected 2.8 for this and next quarter for PS4?

ps. Btw if you want me to update the OP or if you want to make a new thread please make and i will ask admin to close this thread

Elios83

From the other thread:

Total PS4 shipments at 22.3m at the end of March.
16m PS4 forecast for next fiscal year compared to 14.8m this year, so a growth forecast.

3.3m Vitas shipped during the past fiscal year,no forecast given for PS3 and Vita for the next fiscal year.

48.1 billion yen operating profit for the gaming division in FY2014 compared to a 18.8 billion yen operating loss in FY2013.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Forgot about Sony's earnings as usually Nintendo's come out first hahah :p

I'll be making Ninty thread though :D

ZhugeEX

Banned
But you expected 2.8 for this and next quarter for PS4?

ps. Btw if you want me to update the OP or if you want to make a new thread please make and i will ask admin to close this thread

I did expect 2.8m, but I also expected 2.5m after looking at numbers again.

I'm sure that 400k will get made up sometime in the future.

noobie

Banned
From the other thread:

Total PS4 shipments at 22.3m at the end of March.
16m PS4 forecast for next fiscal year compared to 14.8m this year, so a growth forecast.

3.3m Vitas shipped during the past fiscal year,no forecast given for PS3 and Vita for the next fiscal year.

48.1 billion yen operating profit for the gaming division in FY2014 compared to a 18.8 billion yen operating loss in FY2013.

But why in Q4 there is 5.5 billion yen loss for gaming division? that is surprising.?
PS5 development started?

vpance

They expect 16M PS4 for FY2016, but a decrease of 8.1 billion yen in operating income YoY. Big price cut incoming.

Ok can anyone agree with this:

PSP sales FY04-11 is 76.3 million

Handheld sales FY12-14 is 14.4(7 + 4.1 + 3.3) million

Ergo all handheld sales are 90.7 million.

Which means Vita is whatever you want to take out from that within 79-81 range sooo

Vita is 9-11 million?

Elios83

They expect 16M PS4 for FY2016, but a decrease of 8.1 billion yen in operating income YoY. Big price cut incoming.

Yep.

But why in Q4 there is 5.5 billion yen loss for gaming division? that is surprising.?
PS5 development started?

No it'a just that for Sony Q4 is always the weakest quarter of the year for profits.
The increase in profits for the full year is what matters.

16M feels like a highly conservative estimate so they can make those extra large font announcements about BEATING EXPECTATIONS, which stockholders love to read, after the holidays

16M feels like a highly conservative estimate so they can make those extra large font announcements about BEATING EXPECTATIONS, which stockholders love to read, after the holidays

We have Batman, Black Ops 3, Battlefront, Metal Gear Solid V, price cut, and other stuff all hitting this year.

I got to agree that forecast seems conservative.

The Giant

Banned
Nintendo will release their earnings and their investor's meeting next week. We are gonna get quite alot of info from the investor's meeting. So far more info on QOL, nintendo's aggressive ip licensing. E3 hints and whatever else iwata said he was planning to talk about for this meeting.

Joni

The drop-off in PlayStation 3 is huge, I thought it could still catch up with the Wii but with this year's performance the Wii will remain the highest last generation platform.

le.phat

It's really awesome seeing this brand in such a healthy state. Ps4 is a crownjewel to their legacy. Well done, team playstation!

Elios83

The drop-off in PlayStation 3 is huge, I thought it could still catch up with the Wii but with this year's performance the Wii will remain the highest last generation platform.

Yep if they don't cut the price PS3 won't last much longer on the market.
They need to drop to either 129$ or 149$ with games included.
But I have the feeling that they decided against trying to cut manufacturing costs furtherly (probably because of technical difficulties in shrinking Cell+RSX) so they'll ride it out at current price.
Otherwise it wouldn't have made sense to let sales become so weak, no sense to drop the price after the market totally doesn't care anymore.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yep if they don't cut the price PS3 won't last much longer on the market.
They need to drop to either 129$ or 149$ with games included.
But I have the feeling that they decided against trying to cut manufacturing costs furtherly (probably because of techinical difficulties in shrinking Cell+RSX) so they'll ride it out at current price.
Otherwise it wouldn't have made sense to let sales become so weak.

They have been hard at work cost reducing the PS3 chipset... Server blades for PS Now use them, they are not emulating those games in SW.

I do hope they will bring out a revised PS3 which is cheaper for consumers and for Sony, the console has a few good years left at least ;). It would be fun if they ended up overtaking the Wii and go from PS3 Third Place failure to winning the last generation battle for home consoles hehe ;).

Bruno MB

PlayStation 3

FY06 - 3.5 million
FY07 - 9.1 million
FY08 - 10.1 million
FY09 - 13.0 million
FY10 - 14.3 million
FY11 - 13.9 million
FY12 - 16.5 million (includes PS2)
FY13 - 7.1 million
FY14 - 3.1 million

Total - 90.6 million

Remember that FY12 figure also includes all PS2 systems sold during that period, anyway I doubt they surpassed the 2 million mark. The previous year PS2 had sold 4.1 million units.

Toki767

Hmm...so if they're at 22-23 million shipped by now, we're probably not going to go see 25 million sold by E3. Though I'm guessing it'll still be around 22-23 million sold to customers by then. They're still probably going to hit over 30 million sold with ease by the end of the year though.

Top Bottom