• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2014 Q4 (Jan-Mar 2015) Earnings (2.4m PS4 + 400k PS3, 450k PSP+PSV)

So? Do you wany Arstechnica to report facts or speculation? We know two things. Sony has shipped 22.3 million PS4s by the end of March. And Sony has sold to consumers 20.2 million PS4s by March 1.

According to that poster (I have not read the article), Arstechnica is reporting that Sony has shipped over 22 million PS4s. What needs correcting?

Hein? Sony sold to consumers 20,2 million consoles as of early March. Almost TWO MONTHS LATER, and taking into account the sales trend of the PS4 over the last year (excluding the first couple of months and 2014 holiday period, which would skew things), it is only normal to assume that they must have sold probably around 1,5 million in the meantime-if not more-, which would bring the total close to 22 million sold through.
Your intervention makes no sense at all...

pastrami

Hein? Sony sold to consumers 20,2 million consoles as of early March. Almost TWO MONTHS LATER, and taking into account the sales trend of the PS4 over the last year (excluding the first couple of months and 2014 holiday period, which would skew things), it is only normal to assume that they must have sold probably around 1,5 million in the meantime-if not more-, which would bring the total close to 22 million sold through.

How is Arstechnica reporting that the Sony has shipped 22.3 million consoles incorrect? Because that is what the poster I initially responded to seemed to think. It is not incorrect reporting. Please understand this. I do not care what you think the sell-through is right now. Arstechnica does not care what you think the sell-through is right now. They are simply reporting FACTS. So tell me, which FACT did they get wrong? What FACT needs correcting?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

What the financial release tell us is that Sony shipped 22.3 millions PS4 up to March 31st. Nothing else, because these are FY2014 results, Q4 more specifically. Q4 = from January 1st, 2015 to March 31st, 2015. The hardware results for Q4 FY2014 don't take count of what happens from April 1st onwards. So, Arstechnica reported correctly, at least in this (don't know about the rest of the article).

What on earth are you going on about? Two months later? The 22.3m shipped figure is as of March 31. You seriously think they sold through 2 million PS4's in March?

pastrami

What on earth are you going on about? Two months later? The 22.3m shipped figure is as of March 31. You seriously think they sold through 2 million PS4's in March?

He is arguing that the PS4 is probably close to 22 million today. So 2 million over two months, which isn't entirely unreasonable, especially with Bloodborne and spiked Japanese sales.

He is arguing that the PS4 is probably close to 22 million today. So 2 million over two months, which isn't entirely unreasonable, especially with Bloodborne and spiked Japanese sales.
I think it's a save bet that the PS4 is already over 22 million right now.
Yes, that is another fact that we know. What is your point?
Sh*t! I mis-read your post. Thought you have said "Sony has shipped 20.2 million PS4s by the end of March."
WTF -_-

pastrami

I think it's a save bet that the PS4 is already over 22 million right now.

Ok. What is your point? Arstechnica is somehow wrong for reporting that the PS4 has shipped 22.3 million consoles as of the end of FY14?

EDIT: Ok, please read this carefully. I am not arguing that PS4 sales are less than 22 million sold through.

Please follow the trail back to the poster I initially responded to. He seemed to imply that Arstechnica was wrong in reporting 22.3 million consoles shipped. So I replied the difference in the two numbers that are going around (sell-in vs sell-through), and why Arstechnica is correct in their reporting. What you guys think the sell-through is now is completely irrelevant. So stop responding with it.

Ars Technica is talking about the figures from Sony which are up to the end of March. They stated this clearly. No shit they will have shipped and sold more since, but making up numbers isn't going to do any good.

impressive, i wonder if that $400 batman official bundle can be taken as to what sony will do for the rest of the year. cutting by $50 the console and bundle it with games instead of the 100$ price cut

Atram

looking @ US Sales + Japan Sales, i think its impossible that Sony sold through 2 Mio PS4 in the last 2 Months. Even if Europe would be US + Japan combined...(which i think is by far not the case)

Ok. What is your point? Arstechnica is somehow wrong for reporting that the PS4 has shipped 22.3 million consoles as of the end of FY14?
Arstechnica? I don't give a crap about Arstechnica.
I'm just saying that I think the PS4 is already over 22 million right now.
Nothing else ;)
looking @ US Sales + Japan Sales, i think its impossible that Sony sold through 2 Mio PS4 in the last 2 Months. Even if Europe would be US + Japan combined...(which i think is by far not the case)
Only need 1.8 million to be "over 22 million"

bombshell

20.2 million sold through as of 1. March.

That's why he's talking about 2 months later, because as you correctly say the shipped number of this thread is a month old.

Ok, please read this carefully. I am not arguing that PS4 sales are less than 22 million sold through.

Please follow the trail back to the poster I initially responded to. He seemed to imply that Arstechnica was wrong in reporting 22.3 million consoles shipped. So I replied the difference in the two numbers that are going around (sell-in vs sell-through), and why Arstechnica is correct in their reporting. What you guys think the sell-through is now is completely irrelevant. So stop responding with it.
Yeah, I know. I'm completely out of the Arstechnica story.
I just thought you posted wrong sales numbers. But nope, I've misread your post :p

1.8 Mio since March 1st?
1.8 million in two months (march + april), worldwide? Yeah, I think it's possible.
#Bloodborne

20.2 million sold through as of 1. March.

That's why he's talking about 2 months later, because as you correctly say the shipped number of this thread is a month old.

Yeah, I get that now. It seemed like he was trying to argue that Ars Technica were wrong while not understanding that the quarter being reported on was at the end of March.

I still don't really see the point in his statement though. Who cares if it's over 22m right now? No-one was saying it wasn't.

AniHawk

Yeah and a couple of other franchises as well.

I'd estimate it's like this:

- Gran Turismo: 60M
- Ratchet & Clank: 27M
- God of War: 24M
- SingStar: 20.5M
- Uncharted: 18M
- LittleBigPlanet: 12M
- Killzone: 10M
- Jak & Daxter: 10M
- The Last of Us: 8.5M
- Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: 8M
- inFamous: 7M
- MotorStorm: 6.5M
- Buzz!: 6M
- Sly Cooper: 5M
- Wipeout: 3M

how did you get to 27m with the ratchet & clank series? i 'only' get to about 8 million with the best-selling games in the series in the us and japan from the ps2, ps3, and psp games.

how did you get to 27m with the ratchet & clank series? i 'only' get to about 8 million with the best-selling games in the series in the us and japan from the ps2, ps3, and psp games.

This and the fact people don't realize that 1-3, and Deadlocked are the majority of the series sales if I'm correct.

What the hell are some people posting? I know that English is not my first language -nor is is it my second-, but I was always under the impression that my sentences made some sense; It does not look like they do, at least going by a couple of responses here...

Felessan

I have it pegged as:
PS4: ~80m -85m
People making such projections should remember that Sony expect to sell slightly less than 40 mil consoles in slightly more than 2 years and I really doubt that this generation will be only 4 years long till it completely collapse.

What was their PS4 prediction and operating income estimates a year ago? I would be hesitant to assume a price cut if they were similarly bearish.
PS3+PS4 forecast was at 17 mil (900k less than actual result)

How is Arstechnica reporting that the Sony has shipped 22.3 million consoles incorrect? Because that is what the poster I initially responded to seemed to think. It is not incorrect reporting. Please understand this. I do not care what you think the sell-through is right now. Arstechnica does not care what you think the sell-through is right now. They are simply reporting FACTS. So tell me, which FACT did they get wrong? What FACT needs correcting?

OK I misunderstood that sold here is different from Sony PR sold. Also doesnt help that Ars is using shipped and sold interchangeably on the basis that they assume whatever is shipped sells in 4 weeks. So apologies for misunderstanding the different Sony definitions.

Their more recent article about Microsoft closing the gap is a bit more interesting in that because both consoles sold less than last year this quarter, the fact that Microsoft YoY was down less means Microsoft is closing the gap. Mind you Sony still completely outsold the Xbox Family this quarter with just the PS4 so I am a bit confused on that assertion.

Anyway, sorry folks. I posted then have been in meetings and just saw the trouble I caused. Sorry.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Here are some graphs and charts.

1_zpsgjblqlfj.jpg

2_zps1ebrmkbd.jpg

3_zps1pb5ns1k.jpg

6_zpsko6pqcaf.jpg

7_zpsai8ltrls.jpg

4_zpsg2fes27k.jpg

Here is my personal forecast for this calendar year-

5_zpssmmrnjsg.jpg

As you can see, I over estimated Q1 sales and am concious that Q2 sales may be lower than 2.8m as well. I do however believe that Q3 and Q4 sales will make up the loss and total shipments by the end of 2015 will have reached 36 million. I am expecting a price cut for PS4 this year to fuel extra holiday sales.

PS4 forecast this fiscal year is 16 million units. Looking back historically, Sony have been conservative with shipment forecasts and therefore I expect them to beat this number.

Culex

Banned
For those of you comparing Wii to PS4:

Aligned this is where the Wii started selling 400-650k EVERY MONTH in the U.S.

?
My post doesn't contain PS2 figures so I don't understand your reply.

Oh didn't mean to cause confusion. The Sony releases still never listed PS3 by itself so comparing the numbers it seems as if PS2 did 3 mill for the year if I did the math correctly despite being discontinued at the start of the year.

Circinus

I'd say that Playstation network services have huge potential to become longtime profit drivers, especially PSNow can be huge if Sony manages to convince other companies to sell their products with the service pre installed (they are doing that with Samsung already for example). Then they'll still have to work out kinks like pricing and lag problems and the whole thing can become massive.

Also the article says that they're also investing in first party so there's also something that we PS gamers benefit from.

I agree.

But I mean, yeah, the business model for consoles, I can't see it lasting forever.

So yeah, I think it makes sense if they invest to make PlayStation a broader ecosystem. And good that they invest in first-party publishing as well.

just look at netflix.

streaming games is the future. that way, pubs can still profit from older games on consoles. just look at steam and gog on pc. yes, you can download them but given the architectural changes of consoles every gen then streaming is the way to go. people saying it wouldn't work have probably forgotten how 240p youtube was in its early days. we have to start somewhere. with the way tech moves, it is only a matter of time before games streaming online is as fast as games streaming from your hdd.

I agree, it has to start somewhere. But still, streaming games is different than streaming video. Games need input.

The big convenience about game streaming I think will be the fact that you can play the game right away without install times, without needing to go to the store to buy a disc etc. But still, I'm just not sure if it will ever really be mainstream, if it will be, it's going to last a while before it becomes so I think. I think they need to be a bit precarious about PS Now investments. And they should prioritize first-party and acclaimed games for the PS Now catalogue I think.

Circinus

Those numbers are made up

It is not made up.

http://variety.com/2014/film/festiv...transform-market-for-kiddie-films-1201299735/

Variety said:
Foxhoven secured the film rights to “Ratchet & Clank,” which has sold more than 27 million units worldwide since 2002, and approached Canada’s Rainmaker Studios to take care of the 3D CGI animation. Through Film Financial Services, Canadian tax credits and foreign-territory sales from Cinema Management Group’s Edward Noeltner, “Ratchet & Clank” will arrive at Toronto complete and ready for distribution.

And I'm pretty sure the film producers of the Ratchet & Clank film are knowledgeable the sales numbers of the franchise, so it's probably accurate.

And yeah, sorry about Gran Turismo. Changed it to 73M since it didn't include GT6. I estimate that GT6 sold around 3 million because the Aston Martin GT Vision car was downloaded 2.5 million times: https://www.gtplanet.net/2-5-millio...ston-martins-vision-gt-car-in-gran-turismo-6/

I'd estimate it's like this:

- Gran Turismo: 73M
- Ratchet & Clank: 27M
- God of War: 24M
- SingStar: 20.5M
- Uncharted: 18M
- LittleBigPlanet: 12M
- Killzone: 10M
- Jak & Daxter: 10M
- The Last of Us: 8.5M
- Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: 8M
- inFamous: 7M
- MotorStorm: 6.5M
- Buzz!: 6M
- Sly Cooper: 5M
- Wipeout: 3M

EDIT: I changed Gran Turismo from 60M to 73M

People making such projections should remember that Sony expect to sell slightly less than 40 mil consoles in slightly more than 2 years and I really doubt that this generation will be only 4 years long till it completely collapse.

PS3+PS4 forecast was at 17 mil (900k less than actual result)

Thanks! Based on the numbers then - an increase in units sold but decrease in profits, I would assume a price cut. Unless there's going to be a massive spike in 1st party investment.

yurinka

What? Wipeout only 3 million? For PSX games maybe, but remember it also released games on PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita.

Javin98

Banned
Here are some graphs and charts.

1_zpsgjblqlfj.jpg

2_zps1ebrmkbd.jpg

3_zps1pb5ns1k.jpg

6_zpsko6pqcaf.jpg

7_zpsai8ltrls.jpg

4_zpsg2fes27k.jpg

Here is my personal forecast for this calendar year-

5_zpssmmrnjsg.jpg

As you can see, I over estimated Q1 sales and am concious that Q2 sales may be lower than 2.8m as well. I do however believe that Q3 and Q4 sales will make up the loss and total shipments by the end of 2015 will have reached 36 million. I am expecting a price cut for PS4 this year to fuel extra holiday sales.

PS4 forecast this fiscal year is 16 million units. Looking back historically, Sony have been conservative with shipment forecasts and therefore I expect them to beat this number.
Really informative graphs as always, ZHuge. So the PS4 is now behind the Wii but still ahead of everything else. I expect the PS2 to overtake the PS4 as well in the future. Still the PS4 has been selling incredibly well, considering that it launched at $399, which is much more expensive than the Wii's launch price.

Just tired of the denial about the sort of financial state Sony is in.
LOL, so you actually think Sony is going bankrupt. Look, I don't know if you have been following a few sales threads, but Sony has been turning the situation around and soon they may be profitable again.

jholmes

LOL, so you actually think Sony is going bankrupt. Look, I don't know if you have been following a few sales threads, but Sony has been turning the situation around and soon they may be profitable again.

LOL

Step outside the echo chamber and actually read some of the numbers -- not PS4 sales in the United States versus System X, but actual financials.

LOL

LOL

Step outside the echo chamber and actually read some of the numbers -- not PS4 sales in the United States versus System X, but actual financials.

LOL
To clarify, which financial figures are you referring to, G&NS, of Sony Corporation as a whole, and further to that, the current quarter or full fiscal year.

Top Bottom