• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2014 Q4 (Jan-Mar 2015) Earnings (2.4m PS4 + 400k PS3, 450k PSP+PSV)

People joke with all the Kaz gifs but his appointment as CEO of Sony was a really good move. He's made a lot of good decisions, I feel.

Oddly enough, aren't there rumours going around about Kaz being replaced by Kenchihiro Yoshida (Sony CFO) ?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=998294

490317903-kenichiro-yoshida-chief-financial-officer-of-gettyimages.jpg

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Great for Sony! Am I reading this right or is Vita actually selling better YoY? I think that PS4 sales at the end of its life it will be roughly around 130 million since it ain't slowing down yet and I don't think it will do that for 2-3 years from now

Its not. 4.1 > 3.3

450k is actually their worse quarter performance for the Vita+PSP

Javin98

Banned
LOL

Step outside the echo chamber and actually read some of the numbers -- not PS4 sales in the United States versus System X, but actual financials.

LOL
Jeez, you're either really salty or you refuse to acknowledge that Sony is on the right track after years of making huge losses. But just to make it simple for you, Sony has been reducing their losses recently.

AniHawk

People joke with all the Kaz gifs but his appointment as CEO of Sony was a really good move. He's made a lot of good decisions, I feel.

kunitake andō becomes president of sony corp.
fy ending march 2001: $134 million net income
fy ending march 2002: $115 million net income
fy ending march 2003: $963 million net income
fy ending march 2004: $851 million net income
fy ending march 2005: $1.5 billion net income

ryōji chūbachi becomes president of sony corp.
fy ending march 2006: $1 billion net income
fy ending march 2007: $1 billion net income
fy ending march 2008: $3.6 billion net income
fy ending march 2009: $1 billion net loss
howard stringer becomes president of sony corp.
fy ending march 2010: $3.1 billion net loss

fy ending march 2011: $2 billion net loss
kaz hirai becomes president of sony corp.
fy ending march 2012: $4 billion net loss
fy ending march 2013: $1 billion net income
fy ending march 2014: $640 million net loss
fy ending march 2015: $1.1 billion net loss

i think he made a lot of necessary and hard decisions. considering they're going to be posting a net income this year (or at least project one), and that they aren't facing the $2b loss they had expected is a positive sign. at least he won't go down as the ceo in charge of the company when they lost the most money.

Eolz

Here are some graphs and charts.

6_zpsko6pqcaf.jpg

Here is my personal forecast for this calendar year-

5_zpssmmrnjsg.jpg

As you can see, I over estimated Q1 sales and am concious that Q2 sales may be lower than 2.8m as well. I do however believe that Q3 and Q4 sales will make up the loss and total shipments by the end of 2015 will have reached 36 million. I am expecting a price cut for PS4 this year to fuel extra holiday sales.

PS4 forecast this fiscal year is 16 million units. Looking back historically, Sony have been conservative with shipment forecasts and therefore I expect them to beat this number.

Nice graphs as always.
Highlighted the PS2/3/4 graph in particular, since it really looks like the PS4 is following a curve similar to the PS3.

Windforce

Can we really predict a price cut for PS4 based on the reports?

Selling more consoles at a lower margin would be better long term right?

Anyway, incredible well-deserved numbers.

jaina

Can we really predict a price cut for PS4 based on the reports?

Selling more consoles at a lower margin would be better long term right?

Anyway, incredible well-deserved numbers.

if Sony estimates more sold consoles but less operating income in the next year, the difference has to come from somewhere. Thus price cut.

Windforce

if Sony estimates more sold consoles but less operating income in the next year, the difference has to come from somewhere. Thus price cut.

I see, thanks.

Let's just hope they can afford the cut. PS4 cost to manufacture sure must have come down a bit since 2013.

Here is my personal forecast for this calendar year-

5_zpssmmrnjsg.jpg

As you can see, I over estimated Q1 sales and am concious that Q2 sales may be lower than 2.8m as well. I do however believe that Q3 and Q4 sales will make up the loss and total shipments by the end of 2015 will have reached 36 million. I am expecting a price cut for PS4 this year to fuel extra holiday sales.

PS4 forecast this fiscal year is 16 million units. Looking back historically, Sony have been conservative with shipment forecasts and therefore I expect them to beat this number.

I think CY 15Q2 will be lower than CY 14Q2.

CY 14Q2 had Watch_Dogs which definitely sold a good amount of consoles, it was at 8 million sold by July according to Ubisoft. Don't think 15Q2 has a title comparable in sale potential, unless I am underestimating Mortal Kombat.

jholmes

Jeez, you're either really salty or you refuse to acknowledge that Sony is on the right track after years of making huge losses. But just to make it simple for you, Sony has been reducing their losses recently.

"Just to make it simple for you"

i.e. Don't come to a Sony earnings thread if you're not in the mood to party. This is what I'm talking about.

I'm still interested in seeing an answer to this.

Sony as a whole. Believe it or not, they can't sell SOE every quarter.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Net income is a meaningless statistic. It includes non cash charges like impairment. Does not give you a sense of how the company is actually performing.

Look at adjusted ebitda and cash flow.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think you understand purchase accounting jholmes. But whatever.

I feel like I'm missing jokes about selling buildings. Can someone make one please.

B.O.O.M

daaaamn first time seeing this. That looks sexy...why now damn it. I won't have the spare cash to buy this until like October :( Then I won't probably find this, right? At least not for the regular price?

Also I'm really enjoying this Jholmes discussion that's going on. Hope he responds with a detailed answer

samar11

"Just to make it simple for you"

i.e. Don't come to a Sony earnings thread if you're not in the mood to party. This is what I'm talking about.

Sony as a whole. Believe it or not, they can't sell SOE every quarter.

They sold them because they weren't making any profits from them ?

daaaamn first time seeing this. That looks sexy...why now damn it. I won't have the spare cash to buy this until like October :( Then I won't probably find this, right? At least not for the regular price?

Also I'm really enjoying this Jholmes discussion that's going on. Hope he responds with a detailed answer

It's already sold out in pre-orders everywhere anyway.

le-seb

Total Estimate Sales from Dec 31 2014 to Mar 31 2015 doesn't add up? Went from 19.0 to 22.7 with 2.8 estimate sales for the Q?
Why would he start his 2015 prediction using the 2014 estimation as a base, knowing it's off by 900k consoles?

The consolidated operating income figure actually includes the one-off non-cash impairment of goodwill in the Mobile Communications segment, I believe.

I don't think there's any mention of what was formerly SOE in the Earnings Release, aside from a line in the G&NS segment section about impairment of PC software assets in the previous fiscal year.

So I'm not entirely sure what financial figure of Sony as a whole is being referred to either. If it's net profit, well the usefulness of that figure has already been noted.
Operating income more than doubled, the bulk of restructuring is supposedly complete, thus positive (yet conservative relative to analyst expectations) forecasts for next fiscal year and the restoration of dividends, CFFO increased, the company has ~780B yen in committed lines of credit available.

So some specifics would be nice.

Top Bottom