• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

Averon

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-profit-surges-in-first-quarter-1438236740

TOKYO— Sony Corp. said Thursday that its net profit more than tripled during the April-June quarter, helped by strong sales in its videogame and smartphone image sensor divisions.

Net income rose to ¥82.44 billion ($665 million) from ¥26.8 billion a year earlier. Analysts surveyed by the Nikkei had expected a profit of ¥50.5 billion. Sales were ¥1.81 trillion, roughly flat from ¥1.8 trillion a year earlier.

Sony as a whole seems to be doing fantastic. Hard to believe a few years ago they were selling buildings and bleeding red ink.

Go_Ly_Dow

Seems as if the gaming market sniffed out a FF7 remake was on the horizon and purchased a PS4 several years in advance in anticipation.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Sony's Financial Services unit never cease to impress me.

Good god it's a moneymaker.

Mobile is just a lost cause.

Rymuth

PS4 sales thread! (Well Sony financial thread, but this is a gaming forum so close enough.)

It's 2:40 AM here. Time for drinking game.
Lemme guess:

1)
WTF?! That many? What are people even playing on this? PS4 has no Gaaeeeeemz

2)
Sakujou appearance

3)
PS4 dominating is bad for the industry

Anything else I've missed?

Are they not revealing 'sold to consumers' numbers now?

This is quarterly earnings. We only deal with shipments here.

Sold to consumer numbers are numbers revealed as a PR victory at their timing of choice. Also, it's obviously not 25 million yet so why bother?

About to cross streams with the PS2, this holiday will be interesting, especially if there is a price drop.

Dont-Cross-the-Streams-430x412.jpg

ZhugeEX

Banned
Sony increased their forecast for PS4 shipments this year from 16 million to 16.5 million which means that they expect 38.8 million PlayStation 4's to be sold in worldwide by March 31st 2016.

Think they might stopped reporting them? Last update we got was ~5 months.

Nah, We'll get updates at big milestones or during holiday and stuff.

Sony increased their forecast for PS4 shipments this year from 16 million to 16.5 million which means that they expect 38.8 million PlayStation 4's to be sold in worldwide by March 31st 2016.

That's quite something. 30 million units sold at the end of CY 2015 is a no-brainer.

jayu26

Lemme guess:

1)
WTF?! That many? What are people even playing on this? PS4 has no Gaaeeeeemz

2)
Sakujou appearance

3)
PS4 dominating is bad for the industry

Anything else I've missed?
ZhugeEX Graphs and Kaz gifs. Also, alt account juniors...but one of them got banned earlier in the NPD thread. Should have waited few hours before making that post.

this is great news for Sony and the PS4 but at the user level the network problems are really starting to become almost a weekly occurrence. I think they really need to invest in some network infrastructure if they haven't already.

doesn't really belong in a sales thread but I think a strong network can put many potential users fears to rest amid all the problems that keep popping up.

If they don't have a price drop planed for the holiday then they certainly have some great deals planned.

M.D

I think Kaz said this is the last year they would post a loss, so not out of the wood-work yet, but certainly turning it around and should be in the black next year.

The gaming division? Yes.

The company as a whole? Ehhh.... They're doing okay, but mobile and TV still aren't doing very well.

So does this

Net income rose to ¥82.44 billion ($665 million)

Not mean they made money at least for this quarter?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Smartphones, Movies, Home Electronics ( read TVs) keep decreasing.

Movies segment is extremely volatile and can not be seen through the lens of quarter vs quarter comparison.

Last year they had Spiderman & Jumpstreet.

This year they had Aloha...

Smartphones & Home Electronics is just a lost cause. It's dead jim.

jjonez18

This train doesn't stop. Great numbers for PS4. I wish they disclosed 1st party software sales like Nintendo though. Would love to see where games like TLOU are sitting.

wmlk

I don't know what I'm missing.

Gimme some JRPGs and I'll finally jump.

PS3 is a Persona 5 machine right now. Soon...

So does this

Not mean they made money at least for this quarter?

They made money, but some of it was just good exchange rates. If you read the OP, game and image sensors are doing very well, but the parts of the company that have been doing badly (TV, mobile) are still doing badly, and overall sales are down.

Top Bottom