• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
this is great news for Sony and the PS4 but at the user level the network problems are really starting to become almost a weekly occurrence. I think they really need to invest in some network infrastructure if they haven't already.

doesn't really belong in a sales thread but I think a strong network can put many potential users fears to rest amid all the problems that keep popping up.

I think Sony is aware of the problems.

Bloomberg

Sony plans to raise $3.4 billion selling stock and convertible bonds to help pay for a fourfold increase in semiconductor spending as it also invests in video game network services and virtual reality gear.

Where are dem stability gif though?

hDY0gyv.gif

bestofboth

Wow 25.3m shipped is pretty crazy!

They'll be at 30m easily by the time its Xmas.

The price drop effect
next year
is gonna send sales above the stratosphere PS4 is already at.

I wish we could get firm RoTW sales though.
That's where PS4 is just crushing everything in sight.

It seems like Sony is destined to beat PS3 numbers at this rate. I'm curious how much the revised PS4 model will increase profit margin per unit, if any.

meanspartan

So Ps4 just shook off a big Xbone price cut as well as no major exclusives on the horizon (though Bloodborne launched in this timeframe right? Guess that helped), and continued to crush Xbox.

Wow.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sony increased their forecast for PS4 shipments this year from 16 million to 16.5 million which means that they expect 38.8 million PlayStation 4's to be sold in worldwide by March 31st 2016.

Nah, We'll get updates at big milestones or during holiday and stuff.

My guess would be a 25m sold announcement at Paris Games Week?

Absolutely no idea how & why this is happening, but I'm glad Sony have a hit on their hands.
You serious? Monsters like the PS4, PS1, Wii, and PS2 happen when you actually listen to consumers, build the right hardware, put together a consistent software lineup and market it appropriately. Sony hit on all three points. The Wii is the sole outlier in the sense that it was catering to a far more mainstream audience, but it was still brilliantly designed and supported by interesting software (at least for the first 2 or 3 years of the console's life). The Wii lacked the traditional long tail of high quality mixed software support from third parties and first parties. It would have gone further than 100 million if it had that support.

Don't listen and you end up with a Saturn, Wii U or what could have been the Xbone had MS not done the full 180 (bless them for that).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Anyway. You guys should know that PS4 sold better this quarter than Xbox One + Xbox 360 + Wii U + Wii + 3DS combined....

Jesus Christ.

This isn't even entertaining anymore, its like a massacre, they can't even come close now.

I'm guessing with declining PS3 sales and (heh) Vita sales added into that, PS4 would still be more.

Selling more than every other major gaming electronics device combined is just ridiculous.

So Ps4 just shook off a big Xbone price cut as well as no major exclusives on the horizon (though Bloodborne launched in this timeframe right? Guess that helped), and continued to crush Xbox.

Wow.

Xbox's price cuts ain't universal. There's many coughtier3cough countries in the world where Phil Spencer is nowhere close to how generous he is for the US market.

The bulk of the sales gap comes from RotW, clearly.

Alo0oy

Banned
well to be fair, 3rd parties still have the most true system sellers. But yeah, Sony has those deals sewn up too it seems. Batman, MGS5, Battlefront and Assassin's Creed bundles this year? whoa...

But yes, in regards to Sony's WWS, the three heavy hitters that has the greatest potential to spike hardware sales is unquestionably Uncharted 4, Gran Turismo 7, and God of War 4. I do expect SFV to be a hit as well.

Well, he was talking about Uncharted, the last Uncharted entry sold better than the last entry of every third party franchise you mentioned. So it's a far bigger system seller than third parties.

Third parties being bigger system sellers is true for most exclusives, but we're talking about a 10+ million seller exclusive here, so it's not a typical exclusive.

Inuhanyou

It seems like Sony is destined to beat PS3 numbers at this rate. I'm curious how much the revised PS4 model will increase profit margin per unit, if any.

Beating PS3 numbers in 6 years versus 9 would be crazy, i wonder if its possible.

This is why there hasn't been a price cut. It's still above PS2 trajectory and it's still at its original MSRP with shipments up YoY, plus they ate a direct competitor's price cut. That's nuts. $50 in NA/Japan is almost certain this fall but EU/RotW? Apparently there's no need. Have we reached "beyond anyone's highest expectations" yet? This is way better than the predictions of Sony going bankrupt a few years ago with nothing but gloomy numbers. Wow.

It shows the overall market for gaming (and iPhone cameras) hasn't dropped, though, and that's the most important thing for us. Everything lost by others Sony has picked up the past 18 months.
Seems as if the gaming market sniffed out a FF7 remake was on the horizon and purchased a PS4 several years in advance in anticipation.
All console sales from 6th gen on have, in fact, been in preparation for FF7R.
Maybe they over shipped because of Rocket League
This was overshipping in anticipation of the Rocket League demand.
...And Rocket League.

Gotta wonder what the numbers will be at by the end of fiscal year 2016 I mean next year has a fuck load of exclusives, Morpheus, we might get a Slim and the price will definitely be lower than it is now.

stryke

You serious? Monsters like the PS4, PS1, Wii, and PS2 happen when you actually listen to consumers, build the right hardware, put together a consistent software lineup and market it appropriately.

I don't think Wii was a case of listening to consumers. It was a brilliant stroke of giving a product to consumers that they didn't know they wanted, but all the latter stuff you mentioned applies too.

meanspartan

Jesus Fucking Christ this chart. Ps4 is actually outpacing it's world conquering older brother, the great Ps2.

Which I'm actually kind of disappointed by, because as much as I love my Ps4, they haven't earned those sales the way Ps2 did with exclusives lol.

LATEST%20WW_zpsudkjvhuw.jpg~original

EDIT: And It's hilarious how close Xbone is to Ps3 figures.

Fredrik

Amazing numbers, this is like the PS1/PS2 era. Sony will dominate completely unless Nintendo somehow manage to make them stumble by releasing a monster of a console mid gen which the third parties actually care about all of a sudden.

PSOreo

What are these numbers like in comparison to the Wii during this time?
It would be super interesting if it reached those hights or even surpassed them. It'll probably overtake PS2 sales during its lifetime surely?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Jesus Fucking Christ this chart. Ps4 is actually outpacing it's world conquering older brother, the great Ps2.

Which I'm actually kind of disappointed by, because as much as I love my Ps4, they haven't earned those sales the way Ps2 did with exclusives lol.

LATEST%20WW_zpsudkjvhuw.jpg~original

"haven't earned"?

What am I reading.

Piggus

Gotta wonder what the numbers will be at by the end of fiscal year 2016 I mean next year has a fuck load of exclusives, Morpheus, we might get a Slim and the price will definitely be lower than it is now.

I'm curious as well. I doubt there will be a price drop this year, so they'll probably slog through the holidays while MS has another one of their firesales. I think next year will be huge for PS4 though.

I'm curious as well. I doubt there will be a price drop this year, so they'll probably slog through the holidays while MS has another one of their firesales. I think next year will be huge for PS4 though.

If they don't drop the price this year they will at least be doing some good deals for the holidays.

PS4 is a fucking monster dear lord.

And they adjusted up their expectations? Still reaaaaaaally curious if a price drop is coming or not

Inuhanyou

]

Even if i did agree with you about exclusives(i don't by the way), exclusives arent the only thing to 'earn' sales. Focusing on the core product with games people want to buy, that they think the system is worth purchasing for is the only real deciding factor.

For all the Japanese support and mainstream third party western support, and their own IP's that they are growing, they deserve the success in my estimation.

Now, the only thing they could do is fix/expand the OS features and their online server issues.

noobie

Banned
Shhhhh.....

There is no update for legacy devices ;)

Going through their presentation slides it look like they have started giving more investor related information like
  • Long-lived Assets and Goodwill by Segment [Reclassified]
  • Sales to Customers by Product Category (to external customers) [Reclassified]
  • Foreign Exhcnage Impact for Sales and Operating Income for each Segment

and less information is for fanboys..
  • No PS3 numbers
  • No Vita numbers.
  • No software numbers either. :S

meanspartan

Even if i did agree with you about exclusives(i don't by the way), exclusives arent the only thing to 'earn' sales. Focusing on the core product with games people want to buy, that they think the system is worth purchasing for is the only real deciding factor.

For all the Japanese support and mainstream third party western support, and their own IP's that they are growing, they deserve the success in my estimation.

Now, the only thing they could do is fix/expand the OS features and their online server issues.

I think people are reading a little too much into my slight whining about lack of exclusives. Ps4 has absolutely earned its success, even if I feel Ps2 deserved it more.

The generation is already in the bag regardless of a price-cut or not. And it's Sony's.

Yes but they'll also be setting up Morpheus for success. Sony also knows that regardless of how well they're going now. The faster they get the PS4 down into impulse buy territory the better for their long term success.

If PS4 is siting at 25 million sold through by Paris Games Week than it would mean that they had very bad couple of months. Like shockingly bad.

Seeing as the 25.3 is shipments as of a month ago. I wouldn't be shocked if they'd sold through 25 million already. With the Destiny and MGS bundles in September, they'll probably be close to 28-29 million by the time Paris Game Week rolls around.

Top Bottom