• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q2: PS4 shipment 4 million, cumulative sell in at 29.3 million

About 10 million in two quarters? Are they expecting a bigger holiday in terms of sales? Or am I reading your post wrong?

Last year they sold 8.8 million combined in the next 2 quarters. This year they have the two biggest 3rd party deals this quarter and their biggest first party title next quarter. It's easily possible.

The mindshare alone of the PS4 is crazy. I'm the only person in my office that owns a current gen console but all of my coworkers, including those whose exposure to games is limited to Candy Crush, have more than a cursory knowledge of the PS4 as well as some of the games out for it-- notably Until Dawn and Destiny.

Drelkag

Banned
Think I'll finally pick up a PS4 this holiday in preparation for FFXV and KH 2.8/3 since it's been confirmed XV isn't coming to PC until way after console launch, can expect a lot of other people jumping on the PS4 train too.

Sad to see the mobile division doing bad still. Sony makes some nice looking phones with best in class battery.

allan-bh

That's the 8th quarter with PS4 results. Others sales at the end of 8th quarter.

Wii- 34.55m
PS4- 29.30m
PS2- 24.99m
PS3- 16.60m
360- 13.40m

jayu26

Did not get that reference. ~40 million seems to be more like something Sony may announce around E3 2016.

Not a reference. 39.8 million is their target shipment by end of March 2016. Usually you want to be a little conservative with your target. It makes you look good when you bit it :p So don't be surprised by 40 million shipped by March.

My name is PS4. I'm a former member of the Ken Kutaragi class raised by Mark Cerny and Shu Yoshida in a massive HQ in Tokyo, Japan. The year I turned 20, as the head of my own console war, I sold 29.3 million, which really pissed me off because it was .7 shy of 30 million.

They will have to do more than that to make it to 39.8 million by the end of March. That is unless they are expecting really big boost from Uncharted.

uh nope.
1) Holidays with cod and battlefront=$$$$
2) Feb+March 2016 has a bigger and a much better lineup than any holiday season this gen so far.

seems very very acheivable

AniHawk

What are the competitor's numbers?
I heard Wii U just broke 10 million units or something.

wii u's at 10.7m and xb1 is around maybe 15m? it's an estimate but i haven't made the estimate myself (just using someone else's numbers).

other platforms are 3ds at 54m and vita around 12m (which is more or less my estimate)

jayu26

uh nope.
2) Feb+March 2016 has a bigger and a much better lineup than any holiday season this gen so far.

Oh I agree. I was just saying that it will do more than 35 million by the end of this year.

Strange, I wasn't even aware “Hotel Transylvania 2” existed.

I think it was the first hit "non-religious" movie they had this year.

That's the 8th quarter with PS4 results. Others sales at the end of 8th quarter.

Wii- 34.55m
PS4- 29.30m
PS2- 24.99m
PS3- 16.60m
360- 13.40m

Jesus it's tracking higher than the PS2?

Return of the king indeed. Shame we can't compare with XB1 since MS dropped out of numbers.

De_Legend

Banned
uh nope.

SFV, Deus Ex, Mirrors Edge, Far Cry Primal, Uncharted 4... yep, it's gonna sell like crazy.

God damn, so they may actually hit 35 million by the end of the year.... I can see the PS4 easily doing 1.5 million In the US for Nov-Dec

May? They shipped 6.4m last holiday season. If they're already doing better this year before the price cut, 35m isn't going to be much of a challenge.

raven777

wii u's at 10.7m and xb1 is around maybe 15m? it's an estimate but i haven't made the estimate myself (just using someone else's numbers).

other platforms are 3ds at 54m and vita around 12m (which is more or less my estimate)

Thanks. Vita seems more impressive than I thought,

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Good numbers for publishers. This unexpected success means they have more time to find out a way to exit the traditional console industry.

Charts

PS4.jpg

ps4-sales1.jpg

T-0800

Almost 30 million.....pffft. I need more important figures like how many times people have entered the store or how many people use the system wearing shorts. No one cares about unit sales anymore.

Mrbob

Return of the king indeed. Shame we can't compare with XB1 since MS dropped out of numbers.

For now, but it will fall behind the PS2. However, I expect PS4 to surpass the Wii over time and become the second best selling console.

Considering the XB1 won't be able to stay close I can see why MS isn't giving out hardware numbers. PS4 is going to end up way ahead worldwide. At this point MS just needs to figure out how to sell their next system outside of the USA and UK. The PS4 and XB1 are close in both these territories so it tells the strength Sony is showing worldwide.

SFV, Deus Ex, Mirrors Edge, Far Cry Primal, Uncharted 4... yep, it's gonna sell like crazy.

actually
this is 2016 layman q1

yakuza kiwami (jp)
dq builders(jp)
digimon cs
battleborn
firewatch
gr remastered
mighty no 9
naruto uns 4
sfv
deus ex
far cry
mirrors edge
star ocean v(jp)
division
uncharted
hitman
dark souls
ratchet and clank(soon)

edit :and gt sport beta
i can think of people who'll buy one for this alone.

and im sure well get a game or two more with release announced at psx

AniHawk

Thanks. Vita seems more impressive than I thought,

we don't have real numbers for it since sony bundles it with psp. soooo i kinda overshot it. i believe us is 2.2m and canada is generally 10% of that, which means 2.4m. then there's 4.3m in japan, so it's around 6.5m there. europe's been doing better than north america but worse than japan i believe, so maybe 3-3.5m is reasonable.

10m for vita then. don't know why i thought it was higher, but that seems like a fair number based on the information we know.

Pretty good. Probably around 26-27 million sell through at least. Selling in as much countries as possible AND having good marketing = success.

Console market is still doomed!!

actually
this is 2016 layman q1

yakuza kiwami (jp)
dq builders(jp)
digimon cs
battleborn
firewatch
gr remastered
mighty no 9
naruto uns 4
sfv
deus ex
far cry
mirrors edge
star ocean v(jp)
division
uncharted
hitman
dark souls
ratchet and clank(soon)

Its better then Q4 2015, at least for me

allan-bh

we don't have real numbers for it since sony bundles it with psp. soooo i kinda overshot it. i believe us is 2.2m and canada is generally 10% of that, which means 2.2m. then there's 4.3m in japan, so it's around 6.5m there. europe's been doing better than north america but worse than japan i believe, so maybe 3-3.5m is reasonable.

10m for vita then. don't know why i thought it was higher, but that seems like a fair number based on the information we know.

Vita is so dead in America that we have an impression that is a bigger bomba than Wii U, but shipments for both are likely very close.

De_Legend

Banned
actually
this is 2016 layman q1

yakuza kiwami (jp)
dq builders(jp)
digimon cs
battleborn
firewatch
gr remastered
mighty no 9
naruto uns 4
sfv
deus ex
far cry
mirrors edge
star ocean v(jp)
division
uncharted
hitman
dark souls
ratchet and clank(soon)

edit :and gt sport beta
i can think of people who'll buy one for this alone.

and im sure well get a game or two more with release announced at psx

Poor wallet...

AniHawk

ps2's first and second quarter took place only in japan. it had a staggered release and didn't really get going in the worldwide sense until its third fiscal year.

For now, but it will fall behind the PS2. However, I expect PS4 to surpass the Wii over time and become the second best selling console.

Considering the XB1 won't be able to stay close I can see why MS isn't giving out hardware numbers. PS4 is going to end up way ahead worldwide. At this point MS just needs to figure out how to sell their next system outside of the USA and UK. The PS4 and XB1 are close in both these territories so it tells the strength Sony is showing worldwide.

I thought PlayStation was the second best selling Console.

Top Bottom