• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2019 Results - PS4: 13.6m (LTD: 110.4m) / FY19: 2nd best year ever for PlayStation / 41.5M PS+ Members & 66% Digital Ratio

Highlights :
  • Over $18.14B Revenue and $2.19B Profit in FY19
    • 2nd best year ever for PlayStation
    • 2nd biggest Revenue for any platform holder in video game history
  • Hardware: 13.5m PS4 sold-in during FY19
  • Software: 244.9m games sold-in during FY19
    • 4th highest yearly software sales in video game history
    • PS4 is the only console to have 4 years with more than 200m games sold
  • Software digital ratio during Q4 FY19 (Jan-Mar 2020) : 66%
    • Highest digital ratio ever for a quarter
  • PlayStation generated over $108B Revenue and $8.92B Profit since PS4 release
  • PlayStation Network generated over $51.00B Revenue since FY13
  • No precise Guidance for FY2020

fe8CUkR.png

5JBth9A.png

Gaming Division - FY2019 Results (April 2019 - March 2020) :

Gaming Revenue : ¥1977.6bn / $18.14B
(-14.4% YoY from ¥2310.9bn / $20.84B - FY2018)
Gaming Operating Profit : ¥238.4bn / $2.19B (-% YoY from ¥311.1bn / $2.81B - FY2018)
  • 2nd best Revenue ever for PlayStation (and for any platform holder in video game history)
  • 2nd best Operating Profit ever for PlayStation

This quarter, the Gaming Division accounts for :
- % of Sony total Sales/Revenue (vs 26.7% - FY2018)
- % of Sony total Operating Profit (vs 28.9% - FY2018)

PS4 sell-in : 13.5m (vs 17.8m - FY2018)
PS4 LTD : 110.4m

Software sold : 244.9m
(vs 257.6m - FY2018)
Software digital ratio : 66% (vs 37% - FY2018)
Software sell-in LTD (minimum) : > 1.1 billion games
  • During this year, more than 7.74 games have been sold each second in the world (= 669 000 games sold each day)
  • More than 340 000 digital games have been sold-through each day on average on the PlayStation Store during Q3
PS+ Members : 41.5m (up from 36.4m - Q4 FY2018)
  • All-time high number of PS+ subscribers

Credit to armgunar.

Last edited:
Also software wise it is industry record breaking for this quarter

Peak Q4 games sold per console :
  • PS1 : 41m (production numbers)
  • PS2 : 49m (production numbers)
  • PS3 : 30.2m
  • PS4 : 54.7m (Jan-March 2019, previous general record)
  • Wii : 40.8m
  • DS : 38.7m
  • Switch : 45.6m (Jan-March 2020, includes AC:NH shipments, almost 12m)

Shin

Banned
I'm a analyst, Sony should pay me as 110m+ is what I predicted in 2017 and reaffirmed my beliefs in 2018.
PS+ growth is amazing, whether it will be sustained we'll have to see given the order of things globally ATM.

Sony has such much momentum going into the PS5 its insane. The PS4 is doing insane numbers for a console that is almost 7 years old and still $299. This is exactly why Sony doesn't have to be in a rush to talk about PS5. They've got two of the biggest games of the generation coming out on their current console in the next 2 months.

Also I feel like with digital game sales growing bigger and bigger more and more people are not going to want to move from PlayStation to Xbox for example. So long as they know their library carries forward I can't imagine a lot of people wanting to leave all of their digital games behind.

yurinka

Insane numbers. Hail to the king.

Sony has such much momentum going into the PS5 its insane. The PS4 is doing insane numbers for a console that is almost 7 years old and still $299. This is exactly why Sony doesn't have to be in a rush to talk about PS5. They've got two of the biggest games of the generation coming out on their current console in the next 2 months.

Also I feel like with digital game sales growing bigger and bigger more and more people are not going to want to move from PlayStation to Xbox for example. So long as they know their library carries forward I can't imagine a lot of people wanting to leave all of their digital games behind.
I was going to say that. And it's funny that probably they don't and still won't reduce the PS4 price because they wouldn't be able to produce enough units seeing that this year they had some supply issues due to covid.

I see that 120M are 100% sure, and if down the line they make a price cut to $199, they can go beyond 130M. I remember years ago, when I the gen was starting, that I said the console was going to achieve this numbers and people told me I was crazy.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I've been saying similar things also. It just doesn't make good business sense to undercut your own popular product with talks of its successor, while it's still making an obscene amount of money.

We've also seen that the pandemic has given a boost to console business across the board.

I've been saying similar things also. It just doesn't make good business sense to undercut your own popular product with talks of its successor, while it's still making an obscene amount of money.

We've also seen that the pandemic has given a boost to console business across the board.
Yep I expect Sony's next quarter will look pretty good for the PS4. Sales have been up a lot and they have some major exclusives launching.

Why do you think they didn't share it? I could be wrong, was just the first thing that I thought of. Wasn't deliberately trying to create a war post out of it, just answered the question.
I mean they had no problem sharing the fact that they had 1 million PS Now members last year. I don't think it has anything to do with Game Pass.

Klayzer

bah bah but Next Gen, with 12 TFlops, everyone is going to buy a XboxSX anyways. All those PlayStation consoles will be sitting at retailers with 0 sold and MS has Trillions anyways while SONY suffers with 0 income and 0 consoles sold. Uncle Phil winZzzzzz....
Come on dude. Let's try to keep the warz out of a topic for once. There's a lot good info to dissect imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I mean they had no problem sharing the fact that they had 1 million PS Now members last year. I don't think it has anything to do with Game Pass.
Yeah that's the weird thing, they used to share it. Maybe they'll do it at the Q&A

If they don't share it, then it's not good enough to compare with Game Pass
Maybe. Of course even then it could also be an issue of scale.

If I remember correctly PSNow was significantly bigger than Game Pass, so even if it had a larger number of new subscribers, it could be a smaller percentage increase, which wouldn't look good either.

Last edited:

Klayzer

5 million new subs to plus is an incredible number for one quarter. To me that's the single most impressive part of the financial report. I can't imagine Sony expects to duplicate that next quarter.

5 million new subs to plus is an incredible number for one quarter. To me that's the single most impressive part of the financial report. I can't imagine Sony expects to duplicate that next quarter.
I feel they wont be able to replicate this jump ever. That means the revenue from ps plus increased around 300,000,000 $ in kast quarter . That is not something u can duplicate easily.

Great Hair

Banned
PS5 one Question only so far:
Comparing the software line up to competitors.
"... passing grade or not?(Lacking?)" "After launch we will see"

Klayzer

Looking at the report with a critical eye:
- No updated numbers on exclusives
- No new numbers on ps now
I really can't find anything else to be somewhat critical about. Truly, a very impressive quarter for PlayStation.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
It's always a bit of a head scratcher how these people can invest so much money into something they have no real understanding of.
I think you only need to be able to understand it high level and focus more on market behaviour

Eanox

Great for Sony. Kinda sad that Sony does’t provide software sales from their games unlike Nintendo.
I would love see the total software sales of their FP games.

PocoJoe

Banned
This should show clearly to the bone headed xbox fanboys that why Sony and PS5 is kind of unstoppable force on global scale

and when they next gen is here, they can just stare the sales figures with tears and ask "bbbbbut why, 12 > 10 ?? whyyyy PS5 dominates??"

Great success for Sony indeed and because ps4 is so successful -> PS5 will have the foundation to offer us same and better great gaming experiences with high budgets. And not this AA-indie trash that some competitors are planning to spam

This should show clearly to the bone headed xbox fanboys that why Sony and PS5 is kind of unstoppable force on global scale

and when they next gen is here, they can just stare the sales figures with tears and ask "bbbbbut why, 12 > 10 ?? whyyyy PS5 dominates??"

Great success for Sony indeed and because ps4 is so successful -> PS5 will have the foundation to offer us same and better great gaming experiences with high budgets. And not this AA-indie trash that some competitors are planning to spam
Only imbeciles care whether one product happens to be selling more than another or not.

What matters is whether a product is worth owning on its own merits, and with a games machine that ultimately means what games does it have that set it apart from the competition.

On that front, MS are probably in the best position they have been since 7th gen, but ultimately the proof will be a pudding.

Even should PS5 end up selling 10 times as many systems, if MS can come up with an exclusives library that makes owning an XSX worthwhile, then it scarcely matters.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Like I said over a year ago Sony will reach 120 million sold easily by end of its life 😊

They are killing it! And tht profit margin!! The coffers are full to the brim guys 🔥🔥 let's talk real profit, money chests, resources for a division not some bs metric based out of someone's ass because they think their fav company has unlimited funds from divisions that have nothing to do with gaming.

Top Bottom