• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY22Q2 Earning Reports:

It's not low, Gamers are rejecting subscription services altogether.

The old way Will remain King alongside F2P, Subscription model is flopping harder then i expected.

Top Reasons:

1. People are already subscribing to too much SHIT like Netflix or Disney.
2. Gaming F2P is easily accessible, no need to spend money when biggest games are F2P.
3. The services apart from Basic Plus are too expensive for most people, again see point 1.

Conclusion: Expect Subscription model to keep flopping & F2P to keep printing €€€ in the long run.

Gamers aren't rejecting sub-services at all. Game Pass has gained 15 million new subs since 2020. Ps Plus is the one that isn't showing any growth with only 400k additional subs as of 2020 based on the latest numbers. Day One games from Xbox first party's clearly matter, and it's why its growing as fast as it is. Hell, that expectation of day-one games seems to drive game pass growth even when Microsoft has nothing big on the first-party front to release.

But even suggesting gamers are "rejecting" sub services, Sony still literally has 45 million ps plus subscribers. Subscriptions aren't being rejected at all.

yurinka

Some people just use Gold and don't upgrade to GPU. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with being dumb.
Yes, it's technically possible. But for $1 it find it hard to reject it, it has too much value.

Newsflash - there are more multiplayer games than just COD. Like for example GTA Online...Or FIFA. The point is that a lot of (if not the most) of PS+ MAU are people who are playing online games.
And don't forget that PS+ also provides cloud saves so people might subscribe to have cloud saves for example.
Yes, and there's the discounts. In my case with the discounts I save more money yearly than the price of a yearly sub. So in my case it's worth it only for the discounts.

Also COD represented 5% of revenue of Sony. That's a lot for "90% people are not buying COD" 🤣
The 90% comes from comparing CoD PS yearly sales unit vs PS MAU was around 10% or less. Comparing against consoles sold would be even smaller.

Regarding the revenue, I think you're counting there the revenue from CoD Mobile, or counting the whole revenue of the game instead the cut that Sony gets from it. Because when they mentioned months ago the portion of CoD that was from PS, it meant that slightly under 3% of the software revenue of the gaming division of Sony on PS (not counting subscriptions and pc ports) was from CoD.

I see Sony is still dying.
Yes. With this Q2 they broke the all time revenue record for a console maker in a Q2, or the all time revenue record for a console game sub in a quarter, but must be really dying and very doomed or something, sure :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's not low, Gamers are rejecting subscription services altogether.

The old way Will remain King alongside F2P, Subscription model is flopping harder then i expected.

Top Reasons:

1. People are already subscribing to too much SHIT like Netflix or Disney.
2. Gaming F2P is easily accessible, no need to spend money when biggest games are F2P.
3. The services apart from Basic Plus are too expensive for most people, again see point 1.

Conclusion: Expect Subscription model to keep flopping & F2P to keep printing €€€ in the long run.
GP keeps growing and PS Plus has 45M subs and this quarter broke the all time record in revenue from a game sub available in console. Game subs are stronger than ever and they are growing.

Sure, players prefer F2P or buy games, or at least spend more money on them than in subs. But gamers don't reject game subs, they simply see it as a complement, an extra, instead of as the main way to get games.

Consider that around almost half of the active userbase of PS or Xbox are subscribed, and that game subs means the 10-15% of the console games market revenue.

Last edited:
Yes, it's technically possible. But for $1 it find it hard to reject it, it has too much value.
A lot of folks are not even aware that you can use gold conversion. Outside online bubble a lot folks just subscribe monthly.

The 90% comes from comparing CoD PS yearly sales unit vs PS MAU was around 10% or less. Comparing against consoles sold would be even smaller.
How many bundles with COD will be sold for example? And we don't include the indirect revenue (like people subscribing to play COD online). COD represents a very decent chunk of Sony's revenue. Otherwise they would not complain to the regulators - no reason to undersell COD. So COD provides the revenue from

Regarding the revenue, I think you're counting there the revenue from CoD Mobile, or counting the whole revenue of the game instead the cut that Sony gets from it. Because when they mentioned months ago the portion of CoD that was from PS, it meant that slightly under 3% of the software revenue of the gaming division of Sony on PS (not counting subscriptions and pc ports) was from CoD.
I think I include overall ABK revenue from Playstation from 2020. All in all COD represents a sizeable chunk of revenue (MTX, retail 30%, PS+ subscriptions for online, bundles). It is even dificult to estimate. Probably overall it is more than 5% and might be reaching 10% overall (as it is hard to say how many people are paying for online pay for COD). But should be a sizeable MAU chunk - probably around 10-20% of MAU are COD related (especially in USA) as a lot of consumers play those games online.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The Earnings report is on Thursday February 2nd, I'm predicting 6.8 million PS5 hardware and 100 million PS4+PS5 software.
https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/
Moone Boy Waiting GIF by HULU

reksveks

Anyone making a thread on this?

Not sure what to predict tbh 🤣
Will try to, it generally comes out at an okay time for me to do so.

I did want to do a general prediction thread.

MS:
- may be a bit of a disappointment across the board both with HW and SW due to weaker engagement in the industry.
Sony:
- HW I will say record numbers of HW revenue; units should be in the 6.5-6.8m range
- SW: can COD and GoW generate an extra 7.3m units + the loss from the general engagement ? (SW is down 1% in US rev*, 8% in the UK unit and 13% in the EU unit across the board) Personally not sure and would say not likely.
- I think Sony are going to keep with the same FY unit shipment target and just miss it in the next report.

*would assume units is bigger cause we should have higher ARPU's for premium games.

Top Bottom