• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Gamescom to be focused on the PS4's lineup

hypeiurpy.gif

Well, at least I can look back on the Vita and feel that it was never given a chance. I suppose that's better than Sony aggressively pushing the device and it still failing. I suppose this way I can ruminate on what might have been.

It was Sony that said it was going to be a Vita show. You can't call people 'delusional' for listening to 'em.

Well, you can, because 'delusional' has lost all meaning over the last few months. It's just a buzzword now.

Fuck that , SONY should have push VITA aggressively , i was hoping for at least gamecube level of good and original games plus sales. I like the platform , it have a better D-pad than 3DS , puppeteer should be out for the VITA instead on PS3. And where the hell is my gravity rush 2?!

R3TRODYCE

It's put up or shut up time for Driveclub, oh wait n/m it's free with PS Plus so I'm going to play it no matter what.

SmokyDave

Fuck that , SONY should have push VITA aggressively , i was hoping for at least gamecube level of good and original games plus sales. I like the platform , it have a better D-pad than 3DS , puppeteer should be out for the VITA instead on PS3. And where the hell is my gravity rush 2?!
You're preaching to the choir. They should have. I think it's become apparent that they won't though. They're probably doing the right thing, sadly.

People really took that "Vita show" quote as gospel? C'mon..
So we can safely ignore this one too. It's a Vita show again!

yon61

That's still irrelevant. They've got big IPs that could appeal to the handheld consumer (Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Legend of Dragoon, Dark Cloud), but they refuse to utilize those IPs properly to help the device that needs support the most.

None of them would change the situation. What Sony lacks are handheld-centric IPs, they don't have a Monster Hunter or a Pokemon. All Sony would be doing is stretching themselves thin, they need to focus all of their effort on the PS4 now

Mik_Pad

Banned
I think some of you need to remember that Gamescom 2012 was a great show for Vita and PS3, they can do it again but this time Vita and PS4.

DigitalOp

Banned
What's fucked up is how the goalpost for events always change.....

Yeah everythings PS4 because its a new console n blah, but after it releases all these conferences are gonna be "see what's coming up before the end of PS4's first year".....

I think we'll have a Vita showing. We have to..... its been way too quiet. Then again they slaughtered me E3 when I was trying to be optimistic....

If Gamescom doesn't even have a decent showcase with a couple annoucements/surprises, ill chalk it up for the Vita.

I love my system dearly, but ill let the dream go.

Metallix87

None of them would change the situation. What Sony lacks are handheld-centric IPs, they don't have a Monster Hunter or a Pokemon. All Sony would be doing is stretching themselves thin, they need to focus all of their effort on the PS4 now

I disagree. Third parties are what sells their consoles most of the time anyway, so they likely don't have to worry too much. They needed teams working on new IPs for handhelds, and making use of the IPs that they have that work best on handhelds (Platformers & JRPGs).

They wasted their time and sat around making excuses, and the Vita has suffered as a result. They need to become aggressive: Drop the price of the device and memory cards, announce some new exclusives, and market the damn thing.

Zukuu

Banned
I hope we'll actually see something NEW tho.

In the past, gamescom has been the "hands on" E3 for the public and a bit more fleshed out demos, but nothing actually new for the most part.

Ponn

Banned

As a PSP launch day owner the way Sony has treated Vita has been absolutely no surprise to me. PSP succeeded in spite of Sony, not because. If Vita did it also would not have owed anything to Sony. After all these years Sony is still the absolute worst at console hype, support and marketing. They literally take the "eh, just release it, people will make games for it, it markets itself" approach. We are talking about a company that only had one stupid commercial for launch that few people even saw till AFTER the damn thing launched, then it quickly disappeared. That was Sony's launch marketing folks, one fucking commercial. Any expectations from Sony should have been set to very low to null.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I dunno, is this really going to be exciting? I doubt they have much new to show. You'll get Euro-centric sports stuff, and more Drive Club.

They have 20 games planned for year 1 and we only know of 5 or 6. It's time to start unloading some game announcements especially when it comes to teams like SSM who we know have been working on something for 3+ years now.

Metallix87

As a PSP launch day owner the way Sony has treated Vita has been absolutely no surprise to me. PSP succeeded in spite of Sony, not because. If Vita did it also would not have owed anything to Sony. After all these years Sony is still the absolute worst at console hype, support and marketing. They literally take the "eh, just release it, people will make games for it, it markets itself" approach. We are talking about a company that only had one stupid commercial for launch that few people even saw till AFTER the damn thing launched, then it quickly disappeared. That was Sony's launch marketing folks, one fucking commercial. Any expectations from Sony should have been set to very low to null.

It's really bizarre how that works, if you think about it. Sony releases a platform and depends on third parties to sell it for the first few years. You would think Sony would be very aggressive in their support of their systems, but it seems like they don't have to be.

yon61

I disagree. Third parties are what sells their consoles most of the time anyway, so they likely don't have to worry too much. They needed teams working on new IPs for handhelds, and making use of the IPs that they have that work best on handhelds (Platformers & JRPGs).

They wasted their time and sat around making excuses, and the Vita has suffered as a result. They need to become aggressive: Drop the price of the device and memory cards, announce some new exclusives, and market the damn thing.

How do they convince third parties to get on board if none of their first party efforts work?

The Vita had problems before it even released. This was always going to happen.

Baleoce

It's really bizarre how that works, if you think about it. Sony releases a platform and depends on third parties to sell it for the first few years. You would think Sony would be very aggressive in their support of their systems, but it seems like they don't have to be.

I was in the same boat as you and should honestly know better by now. But I always try to remain optimistic that they'll actually provide.

Metallix87

How do they convince third parties to get on board if none of their first party efforts work?

What first party efforts? Sony's basically done nothing for the system. Heck, they outsourced one of their IPs to Nihilistic, to atrocious results.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just when I though Sony couldn't give less of a fuck about their handheld they once again prove me wrong.

Metallix87

I was in the same boat as you and should honestly know better by now. But I always try to remain optimistic that they'll actually provide.

I mean, the really bizarre thing is that PS4 has a lineup clearly devoid of a really big first party exclusive. Why Gran Turismo 6 is not a PS4 title will remain a mystery to me forever.

Speaking of, why hasn't there been a Gran Turismo Vita yet?

glenn8

Banned
I hope to see that behind the doors trailer/gameplay angryjew saw. Hopefully on PC.
He sounded like it did blast his brain away

Ponn

Banned

Well actually my point, and evidence in sales, is they do have to be more aggressive in their support. With PSP they had an advantage of games already in development by third parties thinking it would be the next big thing. When those second wave games came out, and the whole hacking thing increased PSP sales that was more of a hail mary. Vita has neither of those right now.

Metallix87

Well actually my point, and evidence in sales, is they do have to be more aggressive in their support. With PSP they had an advantage of games already in development by third parties thinking it would be the next big thing. When those second wave games came out, and the whole hacking thing increased PSP sales that was more of a hail mary. Vita has neither of those right now.

My point was that they seem to think that it's acceptable to operate that way, and they likely use the PSP and PS3 to justify that stance. Third parties carried both system for a good while, although Sony actually ended up releasing a lot of big titles later on in the life of the PS3.

sajj316

I could care less about quotes or perceptions going into any convention/show. It's all PR to me and GAF hangs by each syllable ready to say "I told you so" when it does not those assumptions.

Gartooth

Good, I want to see more of these "unannounced exclusives due in the first year".

Also will this be the year Sony finally cuts the price of the Vita?
I doubt it would even make a dent at this point.

Skyzard

Banned
With the buzz around PlayStation 4 building, 2013 continues to be one of the most exciting years ever for video games fans. A host of next generation titles were unveiled at the PlayStation Meeting 2013 and E3 2013. At gamescom in August 2013 the focus will be on PS4 and its games line-up once again.

I can't find that quote anywhere in the link?

Ah from an expired competition, I thought this sounded familiar:

https://www.facebook.com/SonyPlaystation/app_266032316870229

I'm expecting a good showing for Vita at gamescom, at the very least remote play with an impressive ps4 game and hopefully a good reveal.

I calm down a bit already lol . I already expected little before, its just that the last min flip flop to this being focused on the ps4's lineup with no mention of the vita make me mad that there is a chance that they could not even meet my low expectation.

Top Bottom