• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony gets racist. White is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
0db1831ebfd1ae3a6c2782b6e3b1e084.jpg

oldboy1

Banned
Look at the fear on the back chicks/guys face.

What the hell is going on with her left hand, is she charging for a MDK strike.:lol

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
probably from the same team as the playstation jesus ad

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
436e66cff0956.gif

I was in Amsterdam last night, too bad I didn't see this. I can't imagine it ever coming to America :lol (oh and nice timing with that Loco Roco-racism issue :lol)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I like how she grabs her/him with 'gloves'

nice message there sony.

on a second thought I know why she did that, she probably didn't want to leave fingerpints.

Question...

"Racist" implies hate of another race. How is that racist?

Error2k4 said:

nice message there sony.

I think they added white gloves to add contrast between her hand and his face.

Oh never mind. I'm sure Sony is making a huge overt racist statement. :rolleyes:

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
GAFFERS INFLUENCED BY THREAD TITLE WORLD IN SHOCK

more at 11.

Its not racist, get a grip ffs.

'White bits' was more offensive than this.

M3wThr33

Banned
The Shadow said:
Question...

This is the literal definition of 'White Power.'
The white model is overpowering the weaker black one, establishing superiority.

Modeling contrasting models would be fine, but putting the black one in a threatened state crosses the line.

hadareud

The Translator
The Shadow said:
Question...

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

I don't think it's meant to be racist, but I would be suprised if it wouldn't cause a small shitstorm.

duckroll

Error2k4 said:

nice message there sony.

on a second thought I know why she did that, she probably didn't want to leave fingerpints.

:lol :lol :lol

I didn't even notice that. I was in shock as to who would come up with an ad which would be sooooooo wrongly interpretated by the masses.

Peru said:
It's not meant to be I'm sure, but the innuendo is very much alive. A white person strangling a black one, "white is coming" ??

This is the same as the "racist game" topic, if people don't stop coming to their own conclusions when a black person is used, or in some cases a monster that kind of looks like a cartoon from back in the day that was derogatory to black people, then racism will still be rife.

It's a black girl and a white girl posing for an advertisement, that's it.

PS2 KID

Meh. I'll wait for Playstation Portable Yellow Ad. Where an asian chick grabs the white chick by the throat. People will applaud that. I know I will. :lol

M3wThr33 said:
This is the literal definition of 'White Power.'
The white model is overpowering the weaker black one, establishing superiority.

Modeling contrasting models would be fine, but putting the black one in a threatened state crosses the line.

I'm thinking you're looking too deeply into this. Probably the problem with a lot of "OMG it's racists" reactionaries.

"literal definition". Lollers. People can come up with their own ideal and interpretation of what's racist or not. Some model holding a black model is stylized and debatably un-PC but it ain't racist.

duckroll

PS2 KID said:
Meh. I'll wait for Playstation Portable Yellow Ad. Where an asian chick grabs the white chick by the throat. People will applaud that. I know I will. :lol

But it won't be an asian chick. It'll be Uma Thurman in the Kill Bill yellow biker jacket. :D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I can't believe some people. You don't see how this is discriminating at all? White bits was definitely not half as bad since it could be interpreted as a joke, this can't.

Zenith

Banned
travisbickle said:
How's this racist?

an overtly white person beating up a black guy/girl, for a product whose USP is being white isn't just a tad overboard?

you can't deny that colour is the central "theme" of this ad, and having one beating on another kinda seals the deal.

ssoass

Nino said:
It's in Amsterdam, the street signs give it away. Spannunndd.

I don't think this particular one is in Amsterdam.
The one I saw was in the Kalverstraat, and this does not look like that street at all.
It's probably somewhere in the Netherlands as you said though, going by the Dutch words on the buildings.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If its intention was to be entirely benign, SCEE`s oversight in this regard is even more evidence that Sony has lost its mind.

Majmun

The ad is placed in the Netherlands. :D

Look at the Sushi Japans Restaurant and the Leo Van ... building on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom