• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Group (Nextorage) to release M.2 SSD at 7GB/s, PCIE 4.0 (1TB~£165 // 2TB~£320)

KungFucius

King Snowflake
no heatsink is also a little puzzling as the faster drives get quite hot
This has me confused too. If I can run it with no heatsink then I can use the bottom/backside M2 slot on my mobo. But probably not because the airflow would suck. I always thought those slots were silly.

Its nigh literally a Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus.
I can almost guarantee it uses the same Phison E18 controller as the 4 Plus.

So instead of waiting you could just jump on a rocket when the NVMe update finally comes out for PS5.

Well I am not going to to spend over $400 on a 2TB drive just based on wishful thinking. Will wait for actual confirmation from Sony.

Md Ray

If they have DRAM then they would be using DDR4.
They wouldnt use DDR3 it would literally be more expensive to source DDR3 modules to place in an SSD today than to simply source the common DDR4 modules.

And we already have alot of SSD in this spec.
Its another one I can add to the list:

• PNY XLR8 CS3140 — 7,500MB/s reads, 6,850MB/s writes
  • Adata XPG Gammix S70 — 7,400MB/s reads, 6,400MB/s writes
  • Mushkin Gamma — 7,175MB/s reads, 6,800MB/s writes
  • Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus — 7,100MB/s reads, 6000MB/s writes
  • Samsung 980 Pro — 7,000MB/s reads, 5,000MB/s writes
  • WD SN850 Black — 7,000MB/s reads, 5,300MB/s writes
  • Patriot Viper VP4 — 7,400MB/s reads, 6800MB/s writes
Pretty cool. I thought DDR4 would be more expensive to use than DDR3, but yeah it's on the way out so it makes sense to use DDR4 especially now that DDR5 isn't far off from being used in the desktop space as system RAM.

Last edited:
7GB/s? Get with the times, Sony!

2-630.f0f1e61e.jpg

ToTTenTranz

Banned
~200€ for 2TB is a steal.

If it works as advertised and these guys manage to produce in decent quantities then they'll break the market.

EDIT: forget that. The 192€ price point is for the 1TB model. Meh.

Last edited:
The xbox 1tb can regularly be found for around for £180. How does this price compare? £165? So £15 cheaper?

Well some of the costs go towards that it's a faster drive as well. Don't forget that you can use it on a PC so the market wouldn't be limited to just PS5 owners.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Well I am not going to to spend over $400 on a 2TB drive just based on wishful thinking. Will wait for actual confirmation from Sony.
Thats why I said when the NVMe update comes out....once the update is out strong chance people will test the rocket 4 plus first as its basically the posterboy for Phison E18 controller.
I didnt say buy now.
This thing is likely actually gonna cost more than the Rocket 4 Plus.
Pretty cool. I thought DDR4 would be more expensive to use than DDR3, but yeah it's on the way out so it makes sense to use DDR4 especially now that DDR5 isn't far off from being used in the desktop space as system RAM.
Memory is one of those weird products that starts expensive because its new.....then gets really really cheap because production has ramped up and theres basically excess stock then gets expensive again as the memory modules become a "niche" product.

Literally upgrading the RAM in a system from 2011 and a system from 2021 will either cost the same or actually be more expensive in the 2011 PC brand new.

Whenever ive upgraded older computers over the last few years ive always advised clients they need to upgrade their whole system sooner rather than later cuz they are paying the same price for 1866 RAM as any normal person would pay for 3200 RAM.

Daymos

Awesome! I'm so happy that Sony seems to be keeping us in the track of digital downloads and physical media. Anything that moves the industry AWAY from streaming and subscriptions is good in my book.

I want to own my game data for life and I don't freaking care what the price is.

No doubt Sony will be cranking the PS5 fan up full blast, because all the power and speed of this thing will be running hot. Great price for the tech. I was expecting Sony to charge a hell of a lot more, given that I had to pay over $120 for my Vita's proprietary 64GB card back in the day.
Cranking fan speed Up.😂😂

Heard this bullshit already a few times.
Like with more demanding games the fan speed will increase and getting louder. In reality the noise Levels remain the same.

Zero7

I'll hang on for a good while, the faster MVME tech gets established the faster the price will cone down, just like it did for Blu Ray.

Reactions: GHG

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Are you telling me it's gonna set me back £270 for 2TB one of those sucker's

Fredrik

~200€ for 2TB is a steal.

If it works as advertised and these guys manage to produce in decent quantities then they'll break the market.

EDIT: forget that. The 192€ price point is for the 1TB model. Meh.
It’s like the 1TB Xbox expansion card and still worth it since the internal drive is so small.

nemiroff

Gold Member
WAT..That's an..astonishing price point for a 2TB drive.. I have a 7GB/s PCIE4.0 1TB m2 drive in my PC and I paid about 170 dollars for it.

Last edited:

Nyxir

Nice drive (hopefully) for DirectStorage, which I find slightly ironic, but the price is good (compared to that overpriced card for X|S).
Actually the xbox expansion solution is underpriced. Its not a normal ssd card.

GHG

Gold Member
no heatsink is also a little puzzling as the faster drives get quite hot

Read and you shall learn:

For the speed of the drive and the fact that you can only ever use it in an Xbox it's overpriced.

Nyxir

Read and you shall learn:

For the speed of the drive and the fact that you can only ever use it in an Xbox it's overpriced.
That’s a take for sure.
Another one is the fact that it lunched with the console and you can literally plug and play (which no ssd can do) make it a good value.

GHG

Gold Member
That’s a take for sure.
Another one is the fact that it lunched with the console and you can literally plug and play (which no ssd can do) make it a good value.

If in your mind "value" is the fact that something exists then I hope you were equally enthusiastic about the PS Vita memory cards.

Fredrik

WAT..That's an..astonishing price point for a 2TB drive.. I have a 7GB/s PCIE4.0 1TB m2 drive in my PC and I paid about 170 dollars for it.
The 2TB variant is 442 USD if you do a direct yen to usd conversion, still just estimated retail price though.

GHG

Gold Member
😂
Ok what about the other point?
Also thats not what I meant.

I've been installing SSD's in my PC for the best part of a decade and they take no more than a couple of minutes to install.

If you don't own a screwdriver and are incapable of using one then I don't know what to say.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I got an sn850 for about half price. Seems fairly comparable to that?

All the final flash PCIE4 drive hit around the same speeds.
Weve all but saturated what PCIE4 can do at this point.

This drive is likely using a Phison E18 controller, unless Sony are making their own controller which would be interesting to see its sustained speeds and real world performance.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So the 1 TB model equates to $230 US. If that exchange holds and they dont round the US availability to $200 or $250, thats more expensive than the Seagate 1 TB Series S/X card.

So where's all the PC compatible SSDs which were supposed to lead to bargain priced SSDs for PS5 as PC gear gets price dropped fast?

Topher

Gold Member
All the final flash PCIE4 drive hit around the same speeds.
Weve all but saturated what PCIE4 can do at this point.

This drive is likely using a Phison E18 controller, unless Sony are making their own controller which would be interesting to see its sustained speeds and real world performance.

Phison is more than likely providing the controller. Just came across this on the website. Phison owns 49% of Nextorage and Sony owns 51%.

Topher

Gold Member
So the 1 TB model equates to $230 US. If that exchange holds and they dont round the US availability to $200 or $250, thats more expensive than the Seagate 1 TB Series S/X card.

So where's all the PC compatible SSDs which were supposed to lead to bargain priced SSDs for PS5 as PC gear gets price dropped fast?

Prices can be found under $200 due to the increasing competition. Such as....

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
The 2TB variant is 442 USD if you do a direct yen to usd conversion, still just estimated retail price though.

Yeah I see now in the article that the 1TB version is more expensive (my currency, so this will deviate) than the SN850 that I have (same specs AFAIK). So that makes me confused, what exactly are we discussing here in this thread.

Edit: ~200 at amazon, guess I got a good deal then. But question remains.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I know as a CF Express card it's not that much expensive, however as a sole expansion for native titles, I find it to be overpriced. Also small gimme 4TB version...

Fredrik

Yeah I see now in the article that the 1TB version is more expensive (my currency, so this will deviate) than the SN850 that I have (same specs AFAIK). So that makes me confused, what exactly are we discussing here in this thread.

Edit: ~200 at amazon, guess I got a good deal then. But question remains.
I think lots of people got confused by the pic of the 2TB drive in the OP and the £165 price for the 1TB drive in the title, thinking they would get 2TB for £165.
Pricing is what it is. I still need one but I’ll go with 1TB with these prices.

Top Bottom