• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony had an exploit on their PSN password recovery page and is now fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
TTP said:
Imagine if we didn't, and soon after the Store was back up you find out you can't log in (wrong password) and on top of that you get emails confirming purchases from the Store you never did.

True, but you could say the same thing for any currently unknown unreported vulnerability. In any online service.

Also, as the password change is notified twice to the owner its not the most stealthy of attacks.

What I'm getting at is that it strikes me as not being more petty crime /griefing than grand larceny.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Clear said:
True, but you could say the same thing for any currently unknown unreported vulnerability. In any online service.

Also, as the password change is notified twice to the owner its not the most stealthy of attacks.

What I'm getting at is that it strikes me as not being more petty crime /griefing than grand larceny.

I agree with that, and that's why I'm not really bothered with this at all. Nor I was about the "main" PSN hack. Hacks happen, and that's why we have got counter measures like fraud warnings and those emails you mention. Heck the Sony password change email confirmation even states the following:

This email has been sent to you because the password for the relevant PlayStation(R)Network account has been changed.
If you did not change your password, please contact Customer Support at the following address:
networksupport@uk.playstation.com

I'm not worried about my money being stolen or my identity being misused cos I know there are means to fix this shit. It's more the annoyance of going through the hoops and loops to get things sorted rather actual fear of getting hurt permanently.

Marleyman

Banned
TTP said:
I'm not worried about my money being stolen or my identity being misused cos I know there are means to fix this shit. It's more the annoyance of going through the hoops and loops to get things sorted rather actual fear of getting hurt permanently.

Spoken like someone who hasn't had their indentity stolen. I would advise you to look at some of the horror stories out there and see if you still feel the same way.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Marleyman said:
Spoken like someone who hasn't had their indentity stolen. I would advise you to look at some of the horror stories out there and see if you still feel the same way.

Paranoia isn't helpful dude.

pr0cs

alphaNoid said:
Sadly people will convince themselves free stuff negates all of Sonys mishaps.
Is the free stuff really free though? Didn't sound like it to me reading the fine print.

Dragon

Banned
pr0cs said:
Is the free stuff really free though? Didn't sound like it to me reading the fine print.

The fine print? You get to pick two free games out of a list. What fine print are you talking about?

Aruarian Reflection said:
I vowed never to use PSN again and it looks like I've made the right decision.

Good so this should be the last time anyone hears from you in a PSN thread.

Zoe

JetBlackPanda said:
I changed my password Sunday on my PS3 and got an email about it on Monday this is normal correct?

Their servers have been overloaded with password change requests, and it appears to be causing a backup in delivery. That's been happening to lots of people.

ok so can I log in yet or what? still showing "site maintenance"??? can this be updated in the Thread title so we can be better informed please?

Ok apparently in Sony's dictionary the word "Maintenance"= "we fucked up again!!, we are running around trying to figure this one out too, give us a moment"

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well... Sony giving me more and more reason to jump ship to PC for my Battlefield choo-choo hype train.

Only reason I'm going to keep my PSN account at this point is to finish Portal 2 when I get the money to get my PS3 fixed and play Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls along with PSX games for my PSP. After that I'm strictly PC from now on.

Angst

pr0cs said:
Yeah all that shit of being forced to subscribe to plus for the rest of your life sucks. Not to mention giving your firstborn to SCEJ.

Seriously, what fine print?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Marleyman said:
Neither is being oblvious to the severity of identity theft.

The potential is there, yes, but focussing on the worst possible (and therefore newsworthy) outcome isn't that useful imho.

I mean, take most any common over-the-counter medication, there's a possibility of some spectacularly horrible -even fatal- side-effects or consequence of accidental misuse if you read the fine print.

There's a big difference between potential and probability of harm.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Are we going to keep track of all the people who are jumping ship so we can call them trolls later?

Which reminds me, whatever happened to that guy who sold two PS3s and 45 games? Did he have a 3rd PS3?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
HaRyu said:
Are we going to keep track of all the people who are jumping ship so we can call them trolls later?

Which reminds me, whatever happened to that guy who sold two PS3s and 45 games? Did he have a 3rd PS3?

He was trying to get back on PSN last I knew.

Hanmik

HaRyu said:

he corrected himself later on.. he only sold 45 games, and kept his 2 ps3´s, because he would only get 100 dollars for the PS3´s..

Oni Jazar

TheSeks said:
Well... Sony giving me more and more reason to jump ship to PC for my Battlefield choo-choo hype train.

Only reason I'm going to keep my PSN account at this point is to finish Portal 2 when I get the money to get my PS3 fixed and play Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls along with PSX games for my PSP. After that I'm strictly PC from now on.

What about Uncharted 4?

test_account

XP-39C²
pr0cs said:
Are you thinking about the free stuff that you get on PS+? If so, there you will lose the access to the free stuff once the PS+ subscription expires. Those free games that you get to choose from in this PSN "welcome back" package should be active forever (as in not expirng like PS+ free games does).

Loudninja

Hanmik said:
he corrected himself later on.. he only sold 45 games, and kept his 2 ps3´s, because he would only get 100 dollars for the PS3´s..
I doubt he sold anything who sales all their games and keep the systems?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
HaRyu said:

I'm willing to give Sony the benefit of the doubt, but if shit like this is able to happen not even two weeks after they launched the service after three weeks of downtime "rebuilding" the network, it doesn't inspire confidence in me.

Thankfully, the dude that alerted MM wasn't a blackhat. He wasn't out to harm people so that's good for Sony. If it wasn't a whitehat (a blackhat), however...

Also I don't want to be chained to hardware that may/may not die in a year for my Battlefield leveling. I play BF damn near nightly for 2-4 hours. Can you blame me for going to PC after giving Sony $150 last year to fix a GPU error only for the PS3 to YLoD/RRoD equiv? :|

What about Uncharted 4?

Uncharted at this point is the sole reason I keep my PS3. Given most shooters that I play are ported to PC and I'm not a strong RPG gamer anymore, there's very little keeping me on consoles outside of some developers that don't multiplatform to it (sup, Blazblue).

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Angst said:
Yeah all that shit of being forced to subscribe to plus for the rest of your life sucks. Not to mention giving your firstborn to SCEJ.

Seriously, what fine print?

About being unable to use the PSN+ games after the free subscription period expires, I assume. Which is why it's less of a real freebie, more of a demo. If you want to keep your 'free' stuff, you have to pay on a monthly basis.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i want psnstore back up so i can play mk online.

i wish i could sue people for using that RETARDED online pass BULLSHIT.

Hanmik said:
"He correct himself" ??? More like he put his foot in his mouth and went to the corner and cried!

Anyway here's a visual representation of my PSN experience Pre-April 20th PSN hack!

unled1b.jpg

...And here's a visual representation of my PSN experience Post-April 20th PSN hack :(

unledxl.jpg

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Hanmik said:

He corrected himself? I remember him saying he SOLD 2 ps3s and 45 games in the same sentence, past tense, meaning he already did it. When PSN came back up, did he look over and said "Oh hey, I guess I didn't sell those PS3s after all..." :p

Now I could be wrong, but I don't want to dig through the old thread to find his post.

Angst

iapetus said:
About being unable to use the PSN+ games after the free subscription period expires, I assume. Which is why it's less of a real freebie, more of a demo. If you want to keep your 'free' stuff, you have to pay on a monthly basis.
True, but that doesn't apply to the actual free games offered. Only plus stuff.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
TheSeks said:
Also I don't want to be chained to hardware that may/may not die in a year for my Battlefield leveling. I play BF damn near nightly for 2-4 hours. Can you blame me for going to PC after giving Sony $150 last year to fix a GPU error only for the PS3 to YLoD/RRoD equiv? :|

And if the graphics card in your PC dies... you're going to be spending less than $150 to replace it?

PC gaming is too expensive for me, only because I have bad luck w/ hardware... I keep killing my graphics cards every 6 months. And I buy the $180+ cards usually.

Zoe

iapetus said:

The free games (those announced) are separate from the PSN+ offer. Those are yours to keep.

I'd be more worried about not being able to download them again after the 30 day period if you ever wipe your system or move to a new one. I remember that was an issue with that puppet Kung Fu game when it was given away for free by Sprint.

Zoe said:
The free games (those announced) are separate from the PSN+ offer. Those are yours to keep.

I'd be more worried about not being able to download them again after the 30 day period if you ever wipe your system or move to a new one. I remember that was an issue with that puppet Kung Fu game when it was given away for free by Sprint.

It was actually flow you couldn't redownload. You could redownload the Kung Fu game, if for some reason you felt compelled to do so.

Hanmik

HaRyu said:
He corrected himself? I remember him saying he SOLD 2 ps3s and 45 games in the same sentence, past tense, meaning he already did it. When PSN came back up, did he look over and said "Oh hey, I guess I didn't sell those PS3s after all..." :p

Now I could be wrong, but I don't want to dig through the old thread to find his post.

no digging necesarry.. the google thing up in th corner does all your digging..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27682551&postcount=6200

dorfdad said:
Well yesterday I went ahead and followed through on my idle threat. But here me out......

I traded in two PS3's and 45 games I owned for the system as I am now 100% totally disguised with Sony and the PS3. I have been a long time sony fan, and I will miss a few game but I will not own the console again until the ps4 and a real network is designed.

Here are the reasons I quit on PS3...

#1. after years of being told were working on it (no cross game chat) Social interaction on the PS3 is laughable.

#2. Patching, forced installs that speed up nothing, and features being removed from us all the time with features being asked for ignored.

#3. Most of the games I play look better on 360 (third party)

#4. Parental controls on 360 way better than ps3 (on 360 I can make it so my son hears only his friend) and not random assholes telling him things inappropriate becuase he owned them in some game.

#5. Ability to stream music while in any game!

#6. Sony's ignorance and FU attitude toward it's customer base, and the fact That they knowingly unprotected my account info which caused me a royal pain in the ass to cancel and setup all my accounts again.

#7. I have more but honestly most of you don't care about why I did this, but I want people to know that some of us actually do follow through on threats and I am willing to loose some game experiences for my principles. I don't like liers.

I hear them wait were giving you plus and our shitty music service as a demo so you can BUY it. FU SONY seriously. The PS3 hardware is good I will admit it, better than 360 probably but #1 I dont do blu-ray I stream from Vudu, Netflix and Fios no need for media.
Secondly you told us 3 TIMES there servers would be up, but I honestly believe this was a PR move to keep peo-ple hanging on to the systems.

You need to redesign and build new servers in multiple locations which takes more than a few weeks. You lied to keep people on-board and now you lost me. Im sure many of you will disagree but man SONY just keeps on fucking up.

Yes they got hacked, but they played big man and got there balls smacked hard, and now it's costing them WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more money than leaving other-os or dropping the charges against hackers would have ever cost them..

I hope the PS4 is better and I will enjoy the next 2 years being on a real network (though I have no friends now lol)

So if you a GAFFER and have some room for an old PSN dude in your friends list hit me up as I need some friends on the 360 now!)

Have: Black Ops, Crysis 2, Red Dead, Halo Reach and more...

Sony you had the chance to come clean and fix things, but you didn't so asta la Vesta baby! (will miss Uncharted3 though :( )

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27728764&postcount=8390

dorfdad said:
Yes I sold all my games. I Kept the 2 PS3's as Gamestop was only giving $100.00 each and I decided to not screw myself over in case they pull magic out of their hat.

As for games Im buying XBOX games now and SOny will have to earn my money again..

Check me on XBOX if you dont believe I just got Black Ops and Crysis 2 along with Reach and 3 others...

herod

HaRyu said:
And if the graphics card in your PC dies... you're going to be spending less than $150 to replace it?

PC gaming is too expensive for me, only because I have bad luck w/ hardware... I keep killing my graphics cards every 6 months. And I buy the $180+ cards usually.

Don't skimp on the PSU.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Zoe said:

I know this, but there was some confusion among others about it. But the PSN+ offer was touted as providing 'free games' by some, which isn't the case (see them as a free rental, I guess...)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Hanmik said:
no digging necesarry.. the google thing up in th corner does all your digging..

Ah. Okay, see, he clearly says he TRADED them in. He didn't say "I'm going to trade them in". :p

herod said:
Don't skimp on the PSU.

I don't. Pretty sure its the heat that kills my cards, figures that the only room in the house w/o decent AC is the one my computer is in. >_<;

larvi

HaRyu said:

Why wouldn't you have it replaced under warranty? Most cards have at least 1yr, some as much as 3yr. Back in the old days when PC shit was even more expensive some of my stuff had a 7 yr warranty. I actually had a manufacturer replace a SCSI card for free after 5 yrs since the BIOS couldn't handle newer larger size drives.

androvsky

Just in time for hotmail to finally start letting password reset emails through too. Of course, they were already expired, but I wonder if I'm ever getting my UK account back at this rate.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Actually, you get to keep themes and avatars that are PS+ exclusive forever, as well as games with PS+ discount.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
larvi said:
Why wouldn't you have it replaced under warranty? Most cards have at least 1yr, some as much as 3yr. Back in the old days when PC shit was even more expensive some of my stuff had a 7 yr warranty. I actually had a manufacturer replace a SCSI card for free after 5 yrs since the BIOS couldn't handle newer larger size drives.

Well, the argument I was trying to make is that yes, paying $150 to have Sony fix the problem sucks, but its not any different than shelling out that much money for a new graphics card if it dies. In both cases, you would have to assume the items in question would have to be out of warranty.

And I'm aware of the various warranties lengths on graphic cards.

And if you're actually wondering why I replace my cards every six months, it's because I'm lazy to use the warranty, and usually by that time, I can usually buy a better card anyway, so I do that. :p

I thought this was kind of lazy when I noticed it a long time ago (so on my alt accounts I used fake DOBs). How is it no one noticed this on the internet? This isn't some huge debacle, they are going to make the site require email verification (like it should) or make you change your email. I mean honestly people's friends/anyone could have stolen your accounts SINCE THE BEGINNING of PSN if they knew your date of birth.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
HaRyu said:

What are you doing to your GPUs? :| I've got a GeForce 6200 in my old desktop PC, shit's over 5 years old by now, but it's still working just fine

Zoe

MTMBStudios said:
I thought this was kind of lazy when I noticed it a long time ago (so on my alt accounts I used fake DOBs). How is it no one noticed this on the internet?

So this has been around since the beginning?

Makes sense that it wasn't caught then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom