• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony had an exploit on their PSN password recovery page and is now fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

androvsky

At least it didn't take them 3 weeks.

edit: oh, the website isn't actually back up yet. I guess a three week fix still isn't out of the question.

Zoe

larvi said:
So someone abusing a URL exploit isn't considered hacking? I guess Sony uses different semantics than I do.

It's possible some people were claiming they were under attack again.

Personally, for the most part I don't consider URL/Javascript/Flash/etc manipulation to be hacking.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Zoe said:

Personally, for the most part I don't consider URL/Javascript/Flash/etc manipulation to be hacking.

I know I saw people "complaining" that PSN was "down again" because of this. It like no one bothered to go check their PS3s.

Technically, it never was even really fully up in the first place. ^O^

kylej

Banned
Hey look on the bright side, maybe we'll get another $10 bargain bin game from Sony! That would be much appreciated.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How is this 'fixed' when you still can't log in to any of the websites?

Stink said:
"No hack involved" seems to be very Sony-centric as opposed to user-centric. The root of the problem imo.
I guess they meant no one was affected negatively by it, that no one's account was stolen?

corn_fest said:
Of course, they wouldn't have told people at all had it not been publicized first.
In that case, no company would. Companies don't regularly release statements every time they find and fix an exploit on their website/servers. But since the news was already out there, it's good that they at least acknowledged it. This was handled much better (PR wise) than the original hack.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Lord Error said:
I guess they meant no one was affected negatively by it, that no one's account was stolen?

Probably. And its not like anyone could have done anything w/ the hack/exploit now, the PSN store isn't even up yet. Imagine if they found this exploit AFTER the store came back up. Pretty sure the outrage would have been a lot worse.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I don't know why everyone is surprised, the info that as collected from PSN awhile ago is IRON CLAD, especially when you recover a account, you need the details that was taken from PSN.

The people who have the details can't really do shit with it though since they don't have access to your email account. Granted, it's in infinite loop of account recovery and no access.

I'm not even sure what Sony can do about it.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Phantom Limbs said:
Not talking about that. I'm talking about supporting Sony at all at this point.

Zoe said:
Might as well sell your PS3 then.

Just don't come back later saying you're playing/using your PS3. We have spies everywhere. Watching. :p

Phantom Limbs said:
Not talking about that. I'm talking about supporting Sony at all at this point.
You can do what DorfDad did, claim you sold your PS3 and all 45 of your games. Then when the problem is fixed you can come back and announce that you've downloaded the update and are back playing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PSN is such a joke because of all of this. I hope they never live this down. If I was still an invested PS3 owner I would probably reconsider sticking with the brand in the future after this has gone so far. At the mercy of a bunch of hackers.

Gonna take more than free shit for a few months to get them out of this. This is permanent damage.

Massa

Zoe said:

It's not a simple case of url manipulation like Sony claims. The token to redeem the password should in no way be accessible to the person requesting a new password - it completely defeats the purpose of that token existing.

Of course PSN wasn't "hacked" in the sense that someone logged on their servers to fetch information or change passwords. Still, this is a pretty major security flaw.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
enzo_gt said:
Gonna take more than free shit for a few months to get them out of this. This is permanent damage.

I thought of making a quip about the hackers delivering what GT5 couldn't, but then I couldn't remember if GT5 got full damage modelling or not :p

enzo_gt said:
PSN is such a joke because of all of this. I hope they never live this down. If I was still an invested PS3 owner I would probably reconsider sticking with the brand in the future after this has gone so far. At the mercy of a bunch of hackers.

Anyway that sentence fragment is odd. Why? The platform still delivers phenomenal gaming and entertainment potential. It just seems odd to me to abandon the brand and ignore the future potential of interesting and intriguing gaming experiences as well as those in the present times because of the merciless assault of people with personal vendettas set out to tarnish the Sony brand and rampant over zealous media forces twisting and exaggerating every issue to the max. PSN still provided me last night as well as in the past few days with excellent and fun online entertainment and community interaction in games only and exclusively available on the playstation platform and in games that are just better and more enhanced on playstation console and handheld.

test_account

XP-39C²
surly said:
Kotaku and a few other sites have posted the exploit in full and it's different to the one mentioned above. The answer to the secret question was not needed. It was as the guy on Twitter originally claimed - you just need the email address and date of birth.
Ok, i see, thanks for the info =)

Dedication Through Light said:
Anyway that sentence fragment is odd. Why? The platform still delivers phenomenal gaming and entertainment potential. It just seems odd to me abandon the brand and ignore the future potential of interesting and intriguing gaming experiences as well as those in the present times because of the merciless assault of people with personal vendettas set out to tarnish the Sony brand and rampant over zealous media forces twisting and exaggerating every issue to the max. PSN still provided me last night as well as in the past few days with excellent and fun online entertainment and community interaction in games only and exclusively available on the playstation platform and in games that are just better and more enhanced on playstation console and handheld.
Are you Jack Tretton?

Anyway that sentence fragment is odd. Why? The platform still delivers phenomenal gaming and entertainment potential. It just seems odd to me abandon the brand and ignore the future potential of interesting and intriguing gaming experiences as well as those in the present times because of the merciless assault of people with personal vendettas set out to tarnish the Sony brand and rampant over zealous media forces twisting and exaggerating every issue to the max. PSN still provided me last night as well as in the past few days with excellent and fun online entertainment and community interaction in games only and exclusively available on the playstation platform and in games that are just better and more enhanced on playstation console and handheld.
Christ this reads like a PR statement lol

edit: Beaten!!

mamafacepalmtree.jpg

Tellaerin

Dude, seriously? I agree with the sentiment and all, but that sounds suspiciously like ad copy. Or does my irony detector need new batteries again?

epmode

Anyway that sentence fragment is odd. Why? The platform still delivers phenomenal gaming and entertainment potential. It just seems odd to me to abandon the brand and ignore the future potential of interesting and intriguing gaming experiences as well as those in the present times because of the merciless assault of people with personal vendettas set out to tarnish the Sony brand and rampant over zealous media forces twisting and exaggerating every issue to the max. PSN still provided me last night as well as in the past few days with excellent and fun online entertainment and community interaction in games only and exclusively available on the playstation platform and in games that are just better and more enhanced on playstation console and handheld.
BRB, printing and framing post.

kamspy

We've been trolled guys. This isn't serious. This can't be life.

kylej

Banned

Whoa I didn't know MetalMurphy got a name change.

Marleyman

Banned

I just FEEL the passion.

Nekofrog

Banned

alphaNoid

Banned
You just shot yourself in the foot.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

trollduck.jpg

VALIS

My job has me listening to a lot of the conferences from Google I/O last week, and more than a few speakers have referred to potential web security fuck ups as "a Sony event." ie., "to make sure your company doesn't have a Sony event..." Oof. Sony's name is a bit in the mud right now.

Marleyman

Banned
VALIS said:
My job has me listening to a lot of the conferences from Google I/O last week, and more than a few speakers have referred to potential web security fuck ups as "a Sony event." ie., "to make sure your company doesn't have a Sony event..." Oof. Sony's name is a bit in the mud right now.

Dang, kinda like Munson from Kingpin.

Shiloa

Did so many people really need to quote that one post?

Anyway, so its fixed now.

Bets on what the next issue will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom