• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony had paid $229 Million to acquire Insomniac Games

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What a waste of money. Wow.
cRPVt6R.png

I lowkey want Sony to buy Spyro and/or crash back. But i feel activison needs to run them to the ground first. Crash Racing probably was particularly profitable for them.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I expect Spider-Man 2 after that yeah you could use some new ideas, clinging onto a franchise doesn't go well.

Bryank75

Banned
Expected them to be way more expensive... they need to buy a few more studios!
Surely Remedy wouldn't be that much and Capcom, despite being 3 Billion is still great value. Do it!

What? The consensus is that Sony got them on the cheap?!

Im one of the biggest Sunset Overdrive defenders you will ever find but its not like Insomniac has strong (commercial) IPs under their belt nor are they doing anything that unique with their (quality) titles.

I guess I just dont follow studio aquisitions enough to know what is expensive in this regard.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You do know that Spider-Man is Sony's best selling exclusive right?

... but they got paid from Spider-Man as the publisher. The $229 million represents the value they get by owning the studio as opposed to just publishing the games, and I have no idea what that difference is. It’s probably worth about $229 million actually.

Romulus

Not a lot of you know about his game from Insomniac. It's called Stormland. The traversal was amazing and thrilling. I play it sometimes just to fly around. It needed more content and slightly more polish to make it a 10/10 game, but holy shit the potential is there.

I hope it gets DLC or a sequel for PSVR2 release so you guys can play it.

Last edited:

Stuart360

What? The consensus is that Sony got them on the cheap?!

Im one of the biggest Sunset Overdrive defenders you will ever find but its not like Insomniac has strong (commercial) IPs under their belt nor are they doing anything that unique with their (quality) titles.

I guess I just dont follow studio aquisitions enough to know what is expensive in this regard.
It sounds a lot of money but its actually a really decent price. Microsoft paid 400mil for Rare 15+ years ago, and yes Rare were coming off their amazing N64 run, but games also sold a lot less back then
A couple of 4+mil selling Insomniac exclusives and their fee will be paid in full.

Last edited:

Coconutt

More Resistance on the way or are fps shooters on the downtrend? Seems the trending thing now are 3rd person open world games and battle royales but battle royales seem to be on the downtrend.

ethomaz

Banned
OH I know tht but others with narratives dont lol we all know their gaming division is bringing in more profit than others this gen.
Game Division and the Camera Sensor division (Image bla bla) are printing money for some years already.

But there is issues yet like the Smartphone (Mobile something), TV (Home Entertainment something), Movies (Pictures) and Music divisions.

Last edited:

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
That's a great deal. Sony should buy one of the larger Japanese publishing houses that owns a lot of IP. With so much development muscle, they can do major damage with Konami, SEGA or capcom franchises. 3-5 Billion is worth it.

Last edited:

Blood Borne

Obviously I ain’t no finance expert or investment advisor but $229 million for Insomniac seems like a terrible investment. I hope it works well for them.

Top Bottom