• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony had paid $229 Million to acquire Insomniac Games

BeardGawd

Banned
I wonder if MS regrets funding Sunset Overdrive now that it belongs to Sony. This somewhat highlights why publishers lean toward owning the IP.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Probably for the best. Neither Fuse nor Sunset Overdrive did anything to endear them to the wider gaming market. Sony will at least point them in a good direction, maybe even get them making Resistance 4 for their PS5 (Killzone was a PS4 launch title...)
A Resistance 4 built from the ground up for the PS5 would be amazing

VertigoOA

Banned
Eh, I dunno about Resistance. Sony was wise not to follow most industry trends this generation like shooters when they cannot compete with 3rd parties in the genre. They did well by having their publishing efforts be a variety of single-player experiences.

DanielsM

Banned
Obviously I ain’t no finance expert or investment advisor but $229 million for Insomniac seems like a terrible investment. I hope it works well for them.

Well, they don't really have any valuable IPs as far as I remember (Sunset isn't worth anything), but basically they're buying the people and the tech i.e. Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, etc factory. I'm not a super huge fan of theirs, but they are a solid studio.

This is about Spider-Man 2, 3, 4

I wouldn't mind a new Resistance, never played the originals.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
this is as sad as it’s not true. Also, it’s just a bland copy of Sunset Overdrive with a Spider-Man skin. Meh.
They are completely different games.
BTW Sony purchase include SO IP too.

Haaaa Spider-man is probably in the TOP3 best selling Sony games this generation.

Last figure in August 2019 had the game at over 13.2 million units sold.... it is Halo 3 level of sales for comparison with other franchise.

Last edited:
Great buy, a studio with fast dev cycle and one of the best selling PS4 games under their belt.

I'm guessing that Insomniac might have something for PS5 launch.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
this is as sad as it’s not true. Also, it’s just a bland copy of Sunset Overdrive with a Spider-Man skin. Meh.

Its a billion dollar game bro, whether you like it or not is not relevant as to what it means. Its not my type of game either, I only finished half of it... but its going to sell bunches.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like a waste of money since they already mostly only made games for Sony anyway?

DanielsM

Banned
Seems like a waste of money since they already mostly only made games for Sony anyway?

Yes and no, they could have held up on future Spider-Man games. There is no way for Sony to line up another studio on that.... take many years to get the tech up even.

Spider-man 2,3,4... Ratchet and Clank next, etc.

ethomaz

Banned
Well there is the point here... Insomniac didn't want to make more game to Sony without hold the IP... that is why they approached MS but it seems like it was not financially good for them so they accept the Spider-man project.

Sony was in a difficult position... buy them or let them make new IPs where Sony didn't hold the rights of the IP (like MS with SO).
I believe Sony choose to buy them because they are really important for Sony's IPs.

Last edited:

devilNprada

Don't know much about them other than they used to make the old Spiro games, but looks like they are doing a lot of VR these days.

Vawn

Banned
What? The consensus is that Sony got them on the cheap?!

Im one of the biggest Sunset Overdrive defenders you will ever find but its not like Insomniac has strong (commercial) IPs under their belt nor are they doing anything that unique with their (quality) titles.

I guess I just dont follow studio aquisitions enough to know what is expensive in this regard.

Lol what?

Ratchet and Clank
Spider-Man
Resistance Fall of Man
Spyro the Dragon
Sunset Overdrive

Trogdor1123

A Resistance 4 built from the ground up for the PS5 would be amazing
Yes! Let's finally get the story completed. First part is moping up earth, then you get moved to the other side to learn what was really going on.

The lack of a proper end to the series always stunk to me. So many questions.

jakinov

Wow, that’s dirt cheap.
How is that dirt cheap? Insomniac had one true hit and it was riding off the back of an IP that they don't own. Their games that sell okay but not great are also IPs not owned by them. A lot of their other random projects like with EA, MS, VR didn't do that great. Don't get me wrong they are solid developers and good to have but that's a shit ton of money. Companies that get more than that, own more IP, have had better track records or are at least backed by more prominent people with better track records than Ted Price. Not that he's bad. Also, not saying insomniac is worth less than that either. It's just that I think people are overvaluing Insomniac worth. They are way better than any Microsoft acquisition in the last 2 years but I don't think 229 million for Insomniac is dirt cheap.

Sussoloc

Would have been cheaper if they had comissioned Rocksteady with Spiderman since Batman + Spiderman skin = Spiderman.

Blood Borne

Well, they don't really have any valuable IPs as far as I remember (Sunset isn't worth anything), but basically they're buying the people and the tech i.e. Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, etc factory. I'm not a super huge fan of theirs, but they are a solid studio.

This is about Spider-Man 2, 3, 4

I wouldn't mind a new Resistance, never played the originals.
I believe you hit the nail on the head. They’re buying the talent and tech. They have no worthwhile IPs, hence the only reason to buy them is talent and tech.

Blood Borne

How it looks like a terrible investment?

Insomniac make games that sells over $500 million.
They have no worthwhile IPs.

How much of Spider-Man’s has to do with Insomniac or the Spider-Man? I posit it’s the latter, because all their previous games weren’t blockbusters.

mejin

They have no worthwhile IPs.

How much of Spider-Man’s has to do with Insomniac or the Spider-Man? I posit it’s the latter, because all their previous games weren’t blockbusters.

one big hit is enough and that Spider meant everything for them, Sony and Marvel.

MS bought Gears franchise, but not the talented devs behind it and today we see the lack of results.

Vawn

Banned
How is that dirt cheap? Insomniac had one true hit

Um what is the hit? Ratchet and Clank (any of the MANY entries that even led to a movie)? Resistance, which got two sequels and is still talked about often? Spider-Man, one of the best selling games of the generation? Sunset Overdrive, which while selling poor because of the platform, has a cult following? Spyro trilogy?

Honestly, which is their single hit because I'm confused.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That's a great price for Sony, and Insomniac. Their history outside of working with Sony really brought the price down. It's like two different companies when they work with Sony, and when they don't.

I am not sure it was a discount. Like I said, they already make quite a bit of money by publishing their games. On a strict cash basis, this would represent the extra money they get by owning the studio vs. publishing. It's not like when MS bought Ninja Theory and got a talented studio that is now making games for them.

My guess is that Sony just wants to bolster their portfolio heading into next gen, and want a sure partner for Spiderman without drama (especially with Marvel on the other end). They're also quite good at managing these external studios and maybe it made more sense just to bring them in house in that way.

Last edited:
I am not sure it was a discount. Like I said, they already make quite a bit of money by publishing their games. On a strict cash basis, this would represent the extra money they get by owning the studio vs. publishing. It's not like when MS bought Ninja Theory and got a talented studio that is now making games for them.

My guess is that Sony just wants to bolster their portfolio heading into next gen, and want a sure partner for Spiderman without drama (especially with Marvel on the other end). They're also quite good at managing these external studios and maybe it made more sense just to bring them in house in that way.
Yeah, I agree it's not a discount. It would be if Insomniac only ever worked with Sony based off potential, but we have their disappointing third party, and Microsoft output.

Last edited:
How is that dirt cheap? Insomniac had one true hit and it was riding off the back of an IP that they don't own. Their games that sell okay but not great are also IPs not owned by them. A lot of their other random projects like with EA, MS, VR didn't do that great. Don't get me wrong they are solid developers and good to have but that's a shit ton of money. Companies that get more than that, own more IP, have had better track records or are at least backed by more prominent people with better track records than Ted Price. Not that he's bad. Also, not saying insomniac is worth less than that either. It's just that I think people are overvaluing Insomniac worth. They are way better than any Microsoft acquisition in the last 2 years but I don't think 229 million for Insomniac is dirt cheap.

Insomniac had 1 true hit....WTF is this bullshit??? WTF i'm reading here. So, just in case, go check here Insomniac games and read in how many units all Ratchets ( since PS2 era ) were sold, Spyro ( since PS1 era ), Resistance and so on.

Compared to Rare +300 mil. $ for MS and few years ago Respawn +400 mil. $ for EA, oh, yeah, it's a bargain. Really.

Last edited:

Quixz

Would have been cheaper if they had comissioned Rocksteady with Spiderman since Batman + Spiderman skin = Spiderman.

Warner Bros owns Rocksteady

Guys Sony announced the acquisition last year in august.. I guess this has opened up old wounds for some :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Insomniac had 1 true hit....WTF is this bullshit??? WTF i'm reading here. So, just in case, go check here Insomniac games and read in how many units all Ratchets ( since PS2 era ) were sold, Spyro ( since PS1 era ), Resistance and so on.

Compared to Rare +300 mil. $ for MS and few years ago Respawn +400 mil. $ for EA, oh, yeah, it's a bargain. Really.

Rare and Respawn are totally different situations. Insomniac was already in Sony's fold, Sony already publishes their games, 100% chance Sony was going to continue to publish their games. That has to be taken into account. if MS or EA bought Insomniac the price would have been higher for that reason.

My point is that Sony wasn't getting a deal or this was a terrible price for Insomniac or anything.

DanielsM

Banned
Rare and Respawn are totally different situations. Insomniac was already in Sony's fold, Sony already publishes their games, 100% chance Sony was going to continue to publish their games. That has to be taken into account. if MS or EA bought Insomniac the price would have been higher for that reason.

My point is that Sony wasn't getting a deal or this was a terrible price for Insomniac or anything.

Yes and no, to get Spiderman 2,3,4 out now... they needed Insomniac. I generally agree with you but not with the money of SP. It would literally take years and years to reproduce the tech, and to get another studio up to speed.

They're a solid studio as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom