• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has a time machine; patented 'Wii U' style tech for PS3/Vita in 2009

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I always find it funny how uncannily some of these things mirror each other. Anyway, this patent specifically talks about using a mysterious handheld device with a rear touch panel and rear facing camera to augment the user's view of imagery coming off a TV, and various techniques for doing that.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP2359915A1.pdf

tMKYZ.png

AggMz.png

8WrPK.jpg

(Pic shamelessly stolen from Retro in the pre-reveal Wii U thread)

Interestingly it's (again) SCEE that seems most attuned to this kind of stuff.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Not surprising considering Sony invented dual analog, the Move/Wiimote and now the Wii U/Vita and PS3 concept.

Masked Man

I said wow
It's also interesting that Nintendo is the one who introduces this kind of technology to the public, regardless of what else the other companies are planning.
In terms of actual functions go, however, how does this Sony patent compare with what Nintendo has planned for WiiU.

Also, I'm happy to see that you have the entire B:TAS DVD collection :)

Takao

Banned
I ain't afraid of no ghosts.

Also, I thought this would've been an onQ123 thread for some reason.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Masked Man said:
It's also interesting that Nintendo is the one who introduces this kind of technology to the public, regardless of what else the other companies are planning.
In terms of actual functions go, however, how does this Sony patent compare with what Nintendo has planned for WiiU.

It's not my pic btw, I just robbed it from the pre-E3 Wii U discussion thread. I suppose it's less related to some of things Nintendo's shown as applications people were conjuring on the thought that it would have a back camera before E3. The web browser stuff they've shown is similar though, but doesn't use a cam.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah even the Move concept was shown a decade ago by Richard Marks. I don't know why Sony are so slow and allow others to benefit instead, and then get blamed in the end for
'copying'.

BurntPork

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Not surprising considering Sony invented dual analog, the Move/Wiimote and now the Wii U/Vita and PS3 concept.
If you count a ball on a stick being tracked by a camera as the Wii Remote...

This is interesting, though. I wonder which one thought of it first?

Loonz

Unless Sony is really willing to do something with this patent on their next console, then this is nothing relevant. They probably have thousands of patents of unreleased products hanging out there.

Now, if this mean they're going to follow Nintendo steps, then MS will be the only one without plans for a pad with a screen for their next system.

EDIT: WTH, is this Gamefaqs or what?. Nintendo has probably... no, certainly filed their own patents for their WiiU pad. Please stop the nonsense and the who copied who.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Loonz said:
Unless Sony is really willing to do something with this patent on their next console, then this is nothing relevant. They probably have thousands of patents of unreleased products hanging out there.

Now, if this mean they're going to follow Nintendo steps, then MS will be the only one without plans for a pad with a screen for their next system.

It's certainly not any clear indication of what they intend to do, but it is sort of interesting to see how ideas get bandied about. I could seem them doing some stuff like this in a sort of sideshow peripheral way but not as their main thrust.

I just thought it was funny because it telegraphed that 'Project Cafe' speculation right down to ghosts coming out of the TV :p

Nintendo has the vision to see what's gonna work and what's not and follow it through.

Sony just throws everything to the wall but doesn't even look to see what stuck to it, and when they finally decide to do something (like the PSP-PS3 connectivity) they don't follow it to it's full potential.

Paracelsus

Metalmurphy said:
Nintendo has the vision to see what's gonna work and what's not. Sony just throws everything to the wall but doesn't even look to see what stuck to it.

You talk as if the Wii U has become the most successful console ever.

I can't say they have been slow on this one since the handheld in the patent sounds a lot like Vita and Vita isn't out yet. But we'll see if they will make any use of it.

Sipowicz

Banned
BurntPork said:
If you count a ball on a stick being tracked by a camera as the Wii Remote...

he does

i still reckon the wii u will only ever be taken advantage of by nintendo. third party developers aren't going to do anything interesting with it, that's for sure. it also lacks the immediacy of something like connect.

wii u = sony move. awesome tech demos and potential, little to no software that takes advantage of it, poor sales

Kerrby

Banned
Meisadragon said:
Yeah even the Move concept was shown a decade ago by Richard Marks. I don't know why Sony are so slow and allow others to benefit instead, and then get blamed in the end for
'copying'.

Sony perfects, Nintendo pushes out a cheap piece of shit as quick as it can.

onQ123

Masked Man said:

PSPMirror--article_image.jpg

Sony introduced it in a small way but no one really seemed to care

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
onQ123 said:

Probably because it required two relatively expensive, but separate systems (and also, I'd say, because you were talking about juggling two things at the user end to make this work, a DS3 + a PSP).

Maybe Vita is at a slight advantage over that scenario because you could tie controls to it in a better way (i.e. Vita can be your controller).

Nintendo does have a knack of bundling everything together so a platform can be built on the idea. Without that these things are necessarily 'sideshow', certainly unless they're very cheap to buy into.

Serenity

BurntPork said:
DS sold faster. If 3DS hadn't released, it would pass PS2 this year.

Key word is if and the wii sold much faster than both I believe and will come nowhere near either.

orioto

Good Art™
As a big bad troll who doesn't believe in WiiU's concept for one bit, i would find it juicily ironic that Sony stops Nintendo's project with patent war, saving them from their own foolish plans in the same time!

Meisadragon said:
'copying'.

It's the structure of the company. They are trying to change that but so far it seems like it will take some time.

lockload

I dont think its in the interest of sony/nintendo/microsoft to do what is going on in the mobile space it will simply harm the industry in general

ASIS

Again, the technology is nothing new. The Wiimote was discussed between companies long before the Wii, and the same is true for the Wii U.

But Nintendo is the only company willing to exploit that technology and present it to the public. That's really the difference between the two.

onQ123

gofreak said:
Probably because it required two relatively expensive, but separate systems (and also, I'd say, because you were talking about juggling two things at the user end to make this work, a DS3 + a PSP).

Maybe Vita is at a slight advantage over that scenario because you could tied controls to it in a better way (i.e. Vita can be your controller).

Nintendo does have a knack of bundling everything together so a platform can be built on the idea. Without that these things are necessarily 'sideshow', certainly unless they're very cheap to buy into.

& it wouldn't have got much support because the only people that could take advantage of it would be the people with PS3 & PSP , but now Devs can sell their game on WiiU , Ipad PS3\Vita & maybe Xbox\Window phone 7

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nintendo-4Life said:
Again, the technology is nothing new. The Wiimote was discussed between companies long before the Wii, and the same is true for the Wii U.

But Nintendo is the only company willing to exploit that technology and present it to the public. That's really the difference between the two.

What's slightly sad-face about all this is that without some ability to figure out robustly where the TV is, this tech - or the application here - would be 'new' :\ It was an application like this that made me want a back-cam on the Wii U controller (even if it possibly would be of fairly narrow relevance, it'd make for a great tech demo at least!)

Theoretically Vita isn't in a MUCH better position, mind you - it does have a back cam, but I'd prefer something high resolution so that it was more like actually looking through a reality-bending looking glass, rather than a relatively fuzzy video feed.

lockload

Nintendo-4Life said:

I wouldnt say exploit but take the risk

supersaw

Nintendo-4Life said:
But Nintendo is the only company willing to exploit that technology and present it to the public.

That is only a recent phenomenon, let's not forget that they were the last console company to embrace optical media as a storage method for their games...

Takao

Banned
onQ123 said:
PSPMirror--article_image.jpg

Singstar and a bunch of other games have Remote Play functions that work with PS3 to do some neat things. With Singstar while a person is playing a song you can choose the next song in the playlist on PSP.

wsippel

Banned
Sony patenting this two years ago means two things: a) Nintendo already had it at the time, and b) Sony never planned to use it anyway. Not to mention Nintendo's own techdemos focused more on controls and status displays, less on augmentation. And Nintendo already did that with the GBA and Gamecube, and later wirelessly with DS and Wii (Pokémon Battle Revolution, December 2006).

BurntPork

Banned
Sipowicz said:
he does

i still reckon the wii u will only ever be taken advantage of by nintendo. third party developers aren't going to do anything interesting with it, that's for sure. it also lacks the immediacy of something like connect.

wii u = sony move. awesome tech demos and potential, little to no software that takes advantage of it, poor sales
Yes, because Wii U is clearly a peripheral.

Durante

wsippel said:
Sony patenting this two years ago means two things: a) Nintendo already had it at the time, and b) Sony never planned to use it anyway.
Please explain your reasoning for both of those.

PunchyBoy

Banned
Some people just forget that Nintendo introduced that type of interactions with the Gamecube and the GBA with Wind Waker, Four Sword Adventures or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.
And people thinking that Sony introduced motion control but didn't used it, just think about the powerglove.

Takao

Banned
PunchyBoy said:
Some people just forget that Nintendo introduced that type of interactions with the Gamecube and the GBA with Wind Waker, Four Sword Adventures or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.
And people thinking that Sony introduced motion control but didn't used it, just think about the powerglove.

lol Nintendo didn't make the Powerglove.

Might as well say the Eyetoy is Kinect with that.

Top Bottom