• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has reportedly held 1st and 3rd party announcements back for august state of play.

kyoji

A new statement from Eurogamer’s Tom Phillips states that Sony has held back a number of 1st and 3rd party announcements for its rumoured August State of Play.

Replying to a tweet talking about how big the scope is for this August State of Play, Tom Phillips stated “Sony has 1st and 3rd party stuff still to announce. Feels like it has quite smartly held some stuff back.”

This is apparently how Sony will fire back after Xbox’s 1st party games showcase, which will take place on July 23. There are a lot of rumors as to what could be here, but we can make some guesses.

Firstly, we need to talk about Silent Hill. The much-rumored reboot of Konami’s horror series has long been rumored and its absence from June’s PS5 reveal event was surprising. With Sony apparently working to reboot the franchise for PS5 it seems like this would be the one place where it could show up before we all start to question if this is actually happening or not.

Next, we can look at Bethesda, who are already deep in partnership with Sony, with both Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo being PS5 timed exclusives. So, a first look at Bethesda Games Studios’ next-generation RPG Starfield doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibility and now would be a good time to show it and help their image after Fallout 76. Finally, Sony has had a long history with partnering with WB Games, so this could be where we see a teaser for the upcoming Suicide Squad and Batman games.

Finally, more first-party announcements could come from Insomniac, with gameplay for Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales and maybe even a very early tease of God of War 2. Also, this might be where we see Japan Studio’s rumoured sci-fi game, codenamed RaySpace. Finally, it would be nice to get some confirmation of release dates for other titles they announced at the June PS5 reveal.

Sony has 1st and 3rd party stuff still to announce. Feels like it has quite smartly held some stuff back.
— Tom Phillips (@tomphillipsEG) July 6, 2020

Sony is reportedly set to hold a PS5 State of Play in August.

Source – [@TomPhillipsEG]

I mean they have a few studios who haven't released a game in a few years. If I'm not mistaken, I think a few of their studios have multiple teams as well, so totally plausible.

What I don't want is for them to make announcements for games that are 3 years away, or more. I mean, it's cool to know it's being worked on but damn that wait is excruciating. Like please don't show me FF7R pt2 if it's not less than 2 years away. My heart can't take that kind of wait :messenger_tears_of_joy:

mejin

FinishedCriminalBoutu-max-1mb.gif

Larvana

Sony know exactly what they're doing.
No idea why some people think the PS5 reveal was everything they have going.

They've already got counters ready for whatever MS will do later this month.
Already stated MS as got counters for what Sony will be doing In August, don't expect Xbox to tell everything this coming up month.

KAL2006

Banned
If you look at my previous posts.

I predicted Horizon 2, Ratchet and Clank, NEW up from Housemarque, Gran Turismo 7, Demon Souls Remake.

Only thing that came out of left field was Spiderman Miles Morales. But it makes sense as that more of a standalone expansion using the same environments.

It's very easy to predict what's next looking at the stable of developers.

The only developers they have had making games for a long time
Arrowhead Games - not first party but Helldivers was 6 years ago
Team Siren - Gravity Rush 2 was 4 years ago, either new IP or rumoured Silent Hill
Sony Japan Knack Team - Knack 2 was 3 years ago

The other question mark is the rumoured San Diego Team I'm not sure how many years that team has been making a game for. And also rumoured 2nd team at Guerilla again I'm not sure how many years they have been developing their game.

Santa Monica released God of War 2.5 years ago I reckon they will save them for next year.

So if I had to predict
Arrowhead Games and Team Siren will show off their games. Then more gameplay of already announced games like Horizon 2.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Remasters of the PSP Hot Shots games and Downhill Domination? Thank you, Sony!

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
SP games that were already released will only do so much. A huge MP game with replayability does a lot more. But nice try.
It's a game that will be available on 2 generations of Xbox consoles AND PC when it launches. MS are putting it in a great position to sell well. It will be an indictment on the game if it doesn't.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
August State of Play.

• Backward Compatibility
  • "live demo" with Bloodborne, insert disc, let the console "update" it
  • announce "Free Copy of Bloodborne (digital) with every PS5!"
  • different modes of BC
  • max RT/HDR effects <4K30
  • uprender to 60fps
  • pc fanatic mode 2K144
  • DualSense, Camera (for what?), Headphones, Remote, PS5, PSVR2.0
  • show the controller, memory card, ports of the console, UX and UI of the PS5
  • Launch Line-Up and final price, release date
  • New studios, new upcoming IP, games, a surprise or two
  • Teardown of PS5
  • announce PS+ different tiers
  • PLATINUM "gold tier + PSnow 12 months included" $99
  • GOLD "Silver" bigger discounts, storage, ps now for 6 months $80
  • SILVER "standard PS+" $60
  • BRONZE "free MP, no perks, no cloud storage, no support at all"
  • announce a new PSP2 6" + 5000mah battery pack, digital only
  • a phone, walkman, camera and portable playstation that plays everything (PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, PV, PS4, PS5) on the go 720p streamed (PSNow) or native, Sony could easily ship, sell 10mill. PSP2 every year.

A nintendo direct-esque show wont cut it.
We need very long in-depth "analysis".

Venuspower

SP games that were already released will only do so much. A huge MP game with replayability does a lot more. But nice try.

We have not heard anything regarding The Last of Us Factions.
IIRC there is also a rumor about a MP game from Guerilla Games.
Maybe one of those title will show up on that State of Play.

It will be interesting to see what Sony has to offer.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
That's assuming Halo will be amazing, but I suppose in the land of eunuchs, even the one-ball is king.

Not gonna deny that Halo is a system-seller and doesn't have a massive fanbase, but Sony will definitely be able to counter anything MS shows for Halo.

I'll told-you-so in august.

SleepDoctor

Banned
If you look at my previous posts.

I predicted Horizon 2, Ratchet and Clank, NEW up from Housemarque, Gran Turismo 7, Demon Souls Remake.

Only thing that came out of left field was Spiderman Miles Morales. But it makes sense as that more of a standalone expansion using the same environments.

It's very easy to predict what's next looking at the stable of developers.

The only developers they have had making games for a long time
Arrowhead Games - not first party but Helldivers was 6 years ago
Team Siren - Gravity Rush 2 was 4 years ago, either new IP or rumoured Silent Hill
Sony Japan Knack Team - Knack 2 was 3 years ago

The other question mark is the rumoured San Diego Team I'm not sure how many years that team has been making a game for. And also rumoured 2nd team at Guerilla again I'm not sure how many years they have been developing their game.

Santa Monica released God of War 2.5 years ago I reckon they will save them for next year.

So if I had to predict
Arrowhead Games and Team Siren will show off their games. Then more gameplay of already announced games like Horizon 2.

I'd like to see at least one mp game. Maybe Factions, or bring back Socom, a Killzone mp only Maybe. Shit even Warhawk, that game was a lot of fun on the Ps3.

Reactions: Isa
I mean they have a few studios who haven't released a game in a few years. If I'm not mistaken, I think a few of their studios have multiple teams as well, so totally plausible.

What I don't want is for them to make announcements for games that are 3 years away, or more. I mean, it's cool to know it's being worked on but damn that wait is excruciating. Like please don't show me FF7R pt2 if it's not less than 2 years away. My heart can't take that kind of wait :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I guess they could go ahead and show SSM new GOW if they want to blow their entire 1st party load already. ND and SP have or will be releasing there next major game shortly.

Maybe the Silent Hill thing is a true? But isn't Sony Japan already tied to the DS remake and VR platformer game?

I'm guessing some more timed exclusives

I guess they could go ahead and show SSM new GOW if they want to blow their entire 1st party load already. ND and SP have or will be releasing there next major game shortly.

Maybe the Silent Hill thing is a true? But isn't Sony Japan already tied to the DS remake and VR platformer game?

I'm guessing some more timed exclusives
We don't even know how large that Japan team is. I want to believe that Silent Hill rumor, but there have been so many reports for and against it that I don't know what to believe.

VALCON 82

• Backward Compatibility
  • "live demo" with Bloodborne, insert disc, let the console "update" it
  • announce "Free Copy of Bloodborne (digital) with every PS5!"
  • different modes of BC
  • max RT/HDR effects <4K30
  • uprender to 60fps
  • pc fanatic mode 2K144
  • DualSense, Camera (for what?), Headphones, Remote, PS5, PSVR2.0
  • show the controller, memory card, ports of the console, UX and UI of the PS5
  • Launch Line-Up and final price, release date
  • New studios, new upcoming IP, games, a surprise or two
  • Teardown of PS5
  • announce PS+ different tiers
  • PLATINUM "gold tier + PSnow 12 months included" $99
  • GOLD "Silver" bigger discounts, storage, ps now for 6 months $80
  • SILVER "standard PS+" $60
  • BRONZE "free MP, no perks, no cloud storage, no support at all"
  • announce a new PSP2 6" + 5000mah battery pack, digital only
  • a phone, walkman, camera and portable playstation that plays everything (PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, PV, PS4, PS5) on the go 720p streamed (PSNow) or native, Sony could easily ship, sell 10mill. PSP2 every year.

A nintendo direct-esque show wont cut it.
We need very long in-depth "analysis".
I THINK..
yeah i might have to actually pre order a Sony walkman before anything else if this were to come to fruition
just sayin, nothing says going HARD for Sony like pre ordering a goddam walkman!!

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
It may be they have some things to show in August. They will probably show game demos for Spider-Man Miles and a few other titles. This will probably be when the price(s) are revealed too.

But anything new/unannounced they show will likely be 1-2 years out. Still making the PS5's launch lineup really sparse.

Psykodad

Banned
You can't be serious ... If that's what you think is a megaton or a counter attack from Sony. Hopefully the guys at Sony have something better in store.
Lol how do you and that other guy take that comment seriously?

Ofcourse a patch won't be a counter.
But Sony can go lots of ways.
The rumored Killzone Breach, TLOU2 Factions and Socom can be good counters (since that other guy talked multiplayer).

They can show Spiderman, Demon's Souls and Horizon Forbidden West gameplay.

They can show a teaser for GOW PS5 or maybe the rumored Silent Hill game.
They could have a non-SH Kojima project they might be announcing.

There's VR with lots of possibilities (imagine it being the R* VR project).

Sony has the upperhand regardless.

Kuranghi

Im sorry, but they have no counter for a good halo game day1. None.

Yeah a good Halo game would be amazing, such good memories of Halo 1, just bombing around in the warthog on " Assault on the Control Room" for hours on end. I never did complete all the levels on legendary...

To your point: Yeah, sony doesn't really have any big FPSes I can think of, maybe they will revive Resistance but I think thats dead and Killzone has been sidelined for Ghost of Tsushima. Its probably why they're buying devs who do make FPSes right now.

So I agree it would be hard to find something similar on PS5 but then again you could just play it on PC or buy an X1S for $100 and play it day-one. So if its amazing you don't NEED to buy an XSX to play it. Whereas any amazing PS5 launch games will require a PS5 afaik.

I honestly don't know though have been a lot of Silent Hill rumors and usually where there's smoke....
Wait, you're saying this as a reply from someone who is referencing Killzone... are you implying that the Big G could be the ones working on Silent Hill?!?!?! :messenger_face_screaming: basically confirmed! jk jk

Last edited:
Top Bottom