• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has reportedly held 1st and 3rd party announcements back for august state of play.

cormack12

Gold Member
What I don't want is for them to make announcements for games that are 3 years away, or more. I mean, it's cool to know it's being worked on but damn that wait is excruciating. Like please don't show me FF7R pt2 if it's not less than 2 years away. My heart can't take that kind of wait :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is it really. Same applies to both companies. Here's a reason to own our console in 2 years.....

At least it sort of acknowledges the previous event was a bit of a damp squib if they're holding good stuff back. Even then, another uncharted probably? Mmmm. Hopefully it is all new ips. That scifi one sounds good and silent hill would be a great reveal too.

I honestly can't see factions being a big deal. It will be nice for that audience but think it would settle round H1Z1 levels. I actually dont want to see GoW2 at the moment. There was a massive amount to improve from the first one - gameplay and mechanics wise. That's going to need a decent amount of time to mature.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome!!! Hope they show MORE gameplay than what they showed in June. Returnal looked good and I love Housemarque and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart looks excellent but not even getting a gameplay 30 second teaser of Spider Man: Miles Morales and especially Horizon 2 was so disappointing.

After the Xbox Games Showcase and this next PlayStation showcase, next gen is already on paper looking to shit over the current generation which overall, isn't easy to do.

Hope it's early August. So hyped!!!

Yoboman

TLOU2 multiplayer seems the obvious one that they had to hold off on announcing at that time

Also wouldn't be shocked by a GOW 2 teaser at some point by the end of the year. Maybe more of a Game Awards announcement

This is it really. Same applies to both companies. Here's a reason to own our console in 2 years.....

At least it sort of acknowledges the previous event was a bit of a damp squib if they're holding good stuff back. Even then, another uncharted probably? Mmmm. Hopefully it is all new ips. That scifi one sounds good and silent hill would be a great reveal too.

I honestly can't see factions being a big deal. It will be nice for that audience but think it would settle round H1Z1 levels. I actually dont want to see GoW2 at the moment. There was a massive amount to improve from the first one - gameplay and mechanics wise. That's going to need a decent amount of time to mature.
If i'm being honest, I'm kind of done with Uncharted. I really hope it is a new iP. Even if it's an old iP that they bring back to life! Playstation have a few iP's that have gone by the wayside that if brought back could be pretty damn HYPE: Socom, Resistance (see PS has bro shooters too LOL), starhawk, syphon filter, legend of dragoon, Jet Moto and countless other weird ones that I loved during the weird PS1 days LOL

I agree with factions not being a bid deal. I understand that it was well received and some really love it, but that can't be it, that can't be your "big thing" no disrespect to Factions.

I wouldn't get too hyped for a State of Play. Because of that format they might have one big surprise (a tease of a 2021/22 title) and a couple of smaller announcements that would have been too specific for the June show - something like enhanced PS4 titles.

If they are truly holding back some huge announcements they would either make a new all-out PS5 event, or they would have revealed it already in June. The State of Play venue immediately limits the audience.

SilentUser

SILENTHILLSILENTHILLSILENTHILLSILENTHILL.

Ok, now that I got that out of my chest, here is what I want to be announced:

1. SILENTHILLSILENTHILLSILENTHILLSILENTHILL
2. Other things lol

Please, Sony! Do it!

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It may be they have some things to show in August. They will probably show game demos for Spider-Man Miles and a few other titles. This will probably be when the price(s) are revealed too.

But anything new/unannounced they show will likely be 1-2 years out. Still making the PS5's launch lineup really sparse.
Sparse?? I see the opposite happening

Sony are really doubling down on games and Spider-man Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet and Clank, Kena and Demon Souls are all coming within a year

pixelation

I am sure they have some bangers that they've yet to reveal, no matter what MS ends up showing (and it will be a lot, many games far off into the future and some possibly getting canceled in typical MS fashion) Sony will be ready to clap back at MS.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Astro's Playroom and Spider-Man were the only launch titles announced for the PS5?

I'm sure they have more launch titles planned and they still haven't shown off some of the consoles key features, such as Backwards compatibility. I think it would be huge if they had BC beyond PS4.

Tsukumo

I wouldn't keep my hopes up. They know they fucked up and now they are just running interference on Microsoft.
I don't think Microsoft is going to make a great show to be honest, as I'm afraid they will center their show around their first party games.
To be honest, Sony is probably going to receive more backlash from the Last of Us 2. Not for the title itself and its reception, but rather from the fact that I think in their minds it would have bridged the gap between the two generations. As the first one did.
The game is definitely going to look insane on a PS5, but the people that hated it will still not give a shit how good the graphics are.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
It’d be funny if Microsoft did the same and they both continue a cat and mouse of game of attempting to save their best for last.

YCoCg

Inb4 Sony announce full BC, all PS1, 2 and 3 games will run at native 4k with frame rate improvements.

While the first year is important, I also think the first month can make a big impression on consumers.

If I buy a PS5 in November, the only really interesting exclusives (that we know of) are Deathloop and Miles Morales. One of those is a timed exclusive and the other is basically a standalone expansion. It would be great if they gave us some more to look forward to in 2020.

We don't really know what the XBox has in that window apart from Halo, but already that grabs your attention a bit more.

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
I wonder why people don't pay attention.

Playstation CEO Jim Ryan:
PS5 Has “So Many More” Unannounced Games In Development

PlayStation’s head of global marketing Eric Lempel:
PS5’s Lineup Is “The Biggest We Have Had in the History of PlayStation”

These statements are from 3 weeks ago. Playstation knows its strenghts. If you can't compete with Microsoft in terms of wallet depth, hardware power and services you compete the next gen with games. Playstation has been almost silent for two years between 2018 and 2020. What do you think they have been doing?

Yoboman

I wouldn't get too hyped for a State of Play. Because of that format they might have one big surprise (a tease of a 2021/22 title) and a couple of smaller announcements that would have been too specific for the June show - something like enhanced PS4 titles.

If they are truly holding back some huge announcements they would either make a new all-out PS5 event, or they would have revealed it already in June. The State of Play venue immediately limits the audience.
Whether its another big PS5 event or a series of State of Plays, they still have a lot to cover. Price, online functionality, UI, launch titles. More games being unveiled would not be surprising

Especially as they had strict "running on PS5 now or we aren't showing it" conditions for the June event

Yoboman

I wouldn't keep my hopes up. They know they fucked up and now they are just running interference on Microsoft.
I don't think Microsoft is going to make a great show to be honest, as I'm afraid they will center their show around their first party games.
To be honest, Sony is probably going to receive more backlash from the Last of Us 2. Not for the title itself and its reception, but rather from the fact that I think in their minds it would have bridged the gap between the two generations. As the first one did.
The game is definitely going to look insane on a PS5, but the people that hated it will still not give a shit how good the graphics are.
You're living in a fantasy land my friend

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I think we're going to see The Last of Us Multiplayer soon.

It was part of the leaked footage, but the build was from around 2018.

If they worked to get Horizon Zero Dawn running at PC with small extra features, then I can see them doing the same for their other first party PS4 titles to work at Native 4K 60fps on the PlayStation 5.

NickFire

I look forward to a month, a single month, when our hype isn't over rumors that someone might say something next month.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Playstation have something to counter the Xbox July showcase. They've been very good at that kind of thing for a number of years now. It works for them because they have mindshare, so their announcements get a lot of hits on social media sites & stuff. The hype always seems to land in their favour these days.

I'm kind of hoping that some people at Xbox have noticed that & made their plans accordingly. It'd be a shame if they blew their load this month & left themselves with nothing to talk about leading up to launch.

I want great looking games from both sides.

JimiNutz

Banned
Not surprising at all.

I'm hoping to see some kind of exclusive shooter either third or first person at the next event. Hopefully TLOU2 MP or maybe the return of SOCOM or Resistance.

Silent Hill would be really cool as well.

Hobbygaming

While the first year is important, I also think the first month can make a big impression on consumers.

If I buy a PS5 in November, the only really interesting exclusives (that we know of) are Deathloop and Miles Morales. One of those is a timed exclusive and the other is basically a standalone expansion. It would be great if they gave us some more to look forward to in 2020.

We don't really know what the XBox has in that window apart from Halo, but already that grabs your attention a bit more.
The thing is PS has the mindshare so gamers are more than willing to wait it out as they know PS5 will have some great damn software coming

But with that said Spider-man Miles Morales, Kena, Horizon Forbidden West and Godfall is a better 1st year already than the PS4 had and that's not even considering what new launch titles they'll announce

Hobbygaming

I wonder why people don't pay attention.

Playstation CEO Jim Ryan:
PS5 Has “So Many More” Unannounced Games In Development

PlayStation’s head of global marketing Eric Lempel:
PS5’s Lineup Is “The Biggest We Have Had in the History of PlayStation”

These statements are from 3 weeks ago. Playstation knows its strenghts. If you can't compete with Microsoft in terms of wallet depth, hardware power and services you compete the next gen with games. Playstation has been almost silent for two years between 2018 and 2020. What do you think they have been doing?
🔥 thanks for this

skneogaf

All I want is the ps4 classic games like God of war and the last of us 2 etc to be 4k 60fps on the ps5 and I'll pre order one.

Aidah

What I want from these shows in general is much more focus on actual gameplay in an extended format, and a clear release schedule for first party games at least for the first year. Tell me what I'm buying into.

Anyway, Sony still has a lot to talk about even outside of whatever games they still haven't announced. Like we know the UI won't be the same as PS4 but we still haven't seen it or its features. They still haven't talked about or demonstrated backwards compatibility and how the games you already have will be enhanced. VR and everything related to it. Demonstration for the controller features. The console itself and not just a render...etc.

Maybe they'll show TLOU2 multiplayer, and finally something good will come out of TLOU2.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
Going in with my expectations low and not looking for megatons. I want to see it in action and the price so I can preorder.

SonicJams

While Sony won it for me this gen by a mile, I'd by lying if I didn't say i'm rooting for the underdog to fight back.

makaveli60

I will never let myself be hyped again about such things after sooo soooo many letdowns. I will expect nothing then at worst I will be right.

Hobbygaming

I don’t doubt there will be some great PS5 games in 2021, but I think it’s somewhat telling that Godfall made your list.
Godfall might not be that bad really. It looks better here

I'd choose it over Knack anyday lol and yeah it's PC video but it gives you an idea of how the game will play

Last edited:

John254

Banned

Sony are really doubling down on games and Spider-man Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet and Clank, Kena and Demon Souls are all coming within a year
Do you have release dates or release years for those games? Because as dar as i know, only Spiderman, Kena has release datse for 2020 and Horizon for 2021 (targeting, which probably means 2022). Ratchet and Demon don't even have those

What are you talking about? I'm asking if he actually knows something because he has sauces... How long have you been Gafing?
He's response is related to fact that these companies do this all the time. Hence the 'Duh' lol.

We all know he has sources. Do you really think he is going to spill anything in this thread. How long have YOU been gaffing?

Launch is going to be supply-constrained regardless. It's 2021 and after that's going to matter

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Do you have release dates or release years for those games? Because as dar as i know, only Spiderman, Kena has release datse for 2020 and Horizon for 2021 (targeting, which probably means 2022). Ratchet and Demon don't even have those
No I dont, just assumptions given Insomniac's efficiency and it looking very polished already. Demon Souls being the one of the 1st official PS5 games we heard about and it's a remake

kyoji

Why MS even think they have the luxury of holding back is beyond me but whatever. Sony has released big titles throughout all of ps4's life cycle.. and here we are going into a new gen and they are still pumping out the titles so close to ps5 release along with there partners. The fact that they can do this and still have early game play development for ps5 ready to show is pretty impressive, What is MS excuse? E3 would have already happened which they 100% were planning to attend and showcase for next gen. So again what is there excuse? It certainly seems like they abandoned there fan base early because they want to wipe away current gens dirt. People give them to much of a pass.

Some of the Sony exclusives up to this point:

Final Fantasy VII Remake
Nioh 2
TLOU 2
MLB The Show
Predator Hunting Grounds
Iron Man VR
Ghosts Of Tsushima

Last edited:
Top Bottom