• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has sold more than 70 million PlayStation 4

pcostabel

Gold Member
CNET

The Japanese entertainment and technology conglomerate said that as of Dec. 3 it has sold a total of 70.6 million PlayStation 4 consoles. It also has sold more than 617.8 million copes of PS4 games, and a total of 2 million PlayStation VR units.

The PlayStation 4 continues to dominate its rival, Microsoft's Xbox One console. Microsoft no longer breaks out sales numbers, but one estimate puts the total at around 30 million as of August. Even if that's slightly off, the numbers illustrate the wide gap between Microsoft and Sony in the console wars.

Is 80M for end of fiscal 2017 a lock in?

RootCause

Well deserved. Arguably one of the greatest gaming libraries of any system. While bringing new industry defining ip. Their sales are going to get wild if they can get it to $199.

Carl

The VR number is much more impressive to me. Didn't expect it to be that high. Hope that's a sign lots more support will come

Breakage

They'd be crazy to kill the PS4 early with a successor. I think the PS4 can easily hold its own for a couple of more years and reach 100m by 2020.

100 milions should be posssible in 2019. Then depending on speed of transition to ps5 it might start seriously closing on ps2.

JordanN

Banned
They'd be crazy to kill the PS4 early with a successor. I think the PS4 can easily hold its own for a couple of more years and reach 100m by 2020.

PS1 was still selling until 2006 and PS2 until 2012.

Their consoles have no problem selling when their successors are on shelves. It's also not like the games are going to stop.
We'll probably see cross-gen games again until next gen gets a storng installbase.

F40

Neo Member
CNET
The Japanese entertainment and technology conglomerate said that as of Dec. 3 it has sold a total of 70.6 million PlayStation 4 consoles. It also has sold more than 617.8 million copes of PS4 games, and a total of 2 million PlayStation VR units.

The PlayStation 4 continues to dominate its rival, Microsoft's Xbox One console. Microsoft no longer breaks out sales numbers, but one estimate puts the total at around 30 million as of August. Even if that's slightly off, the numbers illustrate the wide gap between Microsoft and Sony in the console wars.

Is 80M for end of fiscal 2017 a lock in?

Poor Microsoft. How will they ever survive.
giphy.gif

JordanN

Banned
Poor Microsoft. How will they ever survive.

It might mean more layoffs or less publisher deals.

I really doubt Microsoft is going to give a division a pass for selling less than the competition. So the money is going to be coming from somewhere and that means cutting back.

shpankey

not an idiot
Sony gaming machine (I mean the MACHINE, not the machine) is truly impressive. They never seem to have catastrophic mis-steps.

Congrats to Sony! I was a huge PS fanboy at one time (1995-2006), until they decided not to evolve their controller along with the evolusion of the gaming industry, but that's another topic all together. Again, competition is great, happy they are doing good.

Dargor

Congratulations, its a good product that deserves to sell.

I think that by the time they release PS5, they'll reach the 100 million units sold, and probably keeping the PS4 on the market for a couple more years to sell it on the cheap.

koji kabuto

They took the right lessons after PS3.

MS needs to survive. Competition is best for the consumers.

I agree that competition is healthy for the consumers but i don't think Microsoft will keep pumping money into non-profitable division for ever, Something has to change.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
They took the right lessons after PS3.

MS needs to survive. Competition is best for the consumers.

Sonys strategy was simple, make a console with a decent leap and continue there quality exclusive line up.
They did not masterfully 4d chess Microsoft with an amazing strategy.
Even yoshi said they dont know why the PS4 is seeing such great success.
They saw great success because of Microsofts blunders and sonys superior PR and marketing campaign.

In terms of progressing the medium sony have not done much this gen, so without MS blunders they woulf not be seeing the lead they are seeing this gen.
However if MS dont increase there exclusive line up, sony will continue there impressive lead but on many other fronts MS are starting to outshine sony.

I agree that competition is healthy for the consumers but i don't think Microsoft will keep pumping money into non-profitable division for ever, Something has to change.

Xbox division is unprofitable?
I thought they were in profit since 2011

kb8998

Neo Member
Amazing numbers,

Mod edit: Refrain from using terms like 'microshit'. I have removed it from your post.

- Bill

JaxBriggs

Sonys strategy was simple, make a console with a decent leap and continue there quality exclusive line up.
They did not masterfully 4d chess Microsoft with an amazing strategy.
Even yoshi said they dont know why the PS4 is seeing such great success.
They saw great success because of Microsofts blunders and sonys superior PR and marketing campaign.

I think there was more to it than that. Sony corrected the main major mistakes they made with the PS3. They launched in a timely manner relative to the compeition instead of being a year late, and an affordable price and with hardware that was much easier (relative to CELL) for third party dev's to work with.

They made all the right moves and deserve the success they're seeing.

In terms of progressing the medium sony have not done much this gen, so without MS blunders they woulf not be seeing the lead they are seeing this gen.

Sorry but I don't agree with this assessment at all. Firstly, things like PS Now and PSVR very much are new initiatives within the gaming industry and Sony are are the forefront in those areas. Secondly they have been top dog 3 out of their 4 generations, with the only hiccup being the PS3 and even then they still managed to sell almost 90 million consoles. Surely you don't believe that all of their many successes are simply down to the competition making blunders? I hope not.

I don't think you quite understand what a strong global brand that Playstation is.

Sosokrates

I think there was more to it than that. Sony corrected the main major mistakes they made with the PS3. They launched in a timely manner relative to the compeition instead of being a year late, and an affordable price and with hardware that was much easier (relative to CELL) for third party dev's to work with.

They made all the right moves and deserve the success they're seeing.

Yes they caught up to xbox in these areas

Sorry but I don't agree with this assessment at all. Firstly, things like PS Now and PSVR very much are new initiatives within the gaming industry and Sony are are the forefront in those areas. Secondly they have been top dog 3 out of their 4 generations, with the only hiccup being the PS3 and even then they still managed to sell almost 90 million consoles. Surely you don't believe that all of their many successes are simply down to the competition making blunders? I hope not.

I don't think you quite understand what a strong global brand that Playstation is.

While sony have brought these new initiatives to PlayStation they have not changed the medium in a big way, like XBL did or 3d gaming.
Its apparent people still want to play on a local system and not a paid monthly cloud service like ps now. With Microsofts azure and there game pass im sure they could have full cloud gaming if the market demanded it.

As for PSVR,I dont doubht it will be a big part of gaming in the future but as it stands now it is an unknown varible for sony and weather it will be successful venture for them is still up in the air.

JaxBriggs

While sony have brought these new initiatives to PlayStation they have not changed the medium in a big way, like XBL did or 3d gaming.

That's subjective then I guess because IMO those things are progressing the medium, especially PSVR. Being the first to market with console ready VR is pretty huge I think.

You've ignored the rest of my post so I guess we agree on the other points made.

Sosokrates

That's subjective then I guess because IMO those things are progressing the medium, especially PSVR. Being the first to market with console ready VR is pretty huge I think.

You've ignored the rest of my post so I guess we agree on the other points made.

PSVR has not progressed the medium the same way as 3d gaming or XBL did and this is not subjective.

There has been no hardware moving software on PSVR yet and the hardware itself has not been enough to move units going by successful hardware sales going by past impressive hardware sales metrics.

Also Im not talking about previous gens Im adressing the reason why the ps4 has sold 70million and xbox has sold 30-35million.
Yes I agree sonys brand power and reputation contributed to there sales, however they are not the reason why the sales gap is so back.

Do you think the landscape would be the same if xbox one launched at $399 had its focus was on gaming,was the same power, could sell used games and was not always online?

JaxBriggs

PSVR has not progressed the medium the same way as 3d gaming or XBL did and this is not subjective.

It by definition has progressed the medium. You could not play VR games on a home console. Now you can. What else are we calling that??

It may have not progressed gaming to the scale that things like online gaming did, but it's still progression none the less. You feel all of that means little, I feel otherwise. It's subjective.

There has been no hardware moving software on PSVR yet and the hardware itself has not been enough to move units going by successful hardware sales going by past impressive hardware sales metrics.

No hardware moving software? What are the 2 million people doing with the PSVR's that they've bought? Why the hell did they buy them if not to play the games available?

And what past sales metrics are we talking about? VR related or some other convenient arbitrary metric? Isn't PSVR the biggest selling VR device on the market currently?

You're just shifting the goal posts now.

Sosokrates

It by definition has progressed the medium. You could not play VR games on a home console. Now you can. What else are we calling that??

It may have not progressed gaming to the scale that things like online gaming did, but it's still progression none the less. You feel all of that means little, I feel otherwise. It's subjective.

What I meant in my intial post was that sony have not progressed the medium enough that, that was a reason for there success.sorry I was not more clear about this.

No hardware moving software? What are the 2 million people doing with the PSVR's that they've bought? Why the hell did they buy them if not to play the games available?

And what past sales metrics are we talking about? VR related or some other convenient arbitrary metric? Isn't PSVR the biggest selling VR device on the market currently?

You're just shifting the goal posts now and doing a poor job of it.

So again to explain in more detail, PSVR is not the reason why the PS4 is such a success.

And I said it was console sales metric, if you know a more appropriate metric please tell.

So to avoid further confusion the PS4'S big lead over XBOX is mainly due to Microsofts blunders.
If you disagree, fine.lets leave it at that.

JaxBriggs

So to avoid further confusion the PS4'S big lead over XBOX is mainly due to Microsofts blunders.
If you disagree, fine.lets leave it at that.

I couldn't disagree more and I've already explained in detail as to why, but you've completely ignored all of those points.

PS1 = Sales monster
PS2 = Sales monster
PS3 = Disaster... but still almost 90M sold!
PS4 = Sales monster... *but only due to MS making blunders.

*According to Sosokrates.

Sosokrates

I couldn't disagree more and I've already explained in detail as to why, but you've completely ignored all of those points.

So if the xbox one launched with

*Being able to sell used games
*No always online requirement
*No kinect or at least a seperate kinect
*same price
* Gaming being there main focus

You think the PS4 would still have such a big lead?

PS1 = Sales monster
PS2 = Sales monster
PS3 = Disaster... but still almost 90M sold!
PS4 = Sales monster... *but only due to MS making blunders.

Lol, ok now your just making stuff up , not once did,I say or insinuate this.

I said the PS4"S huge lead is mainly due to xbox's mistakes. I dont know how anyone can think the lead would not be smaller if MS did not get it so wrong at the start of this gen.

JaxBriggs

You think the PS4 would still have such a big lead?

To be fair, the XB1 did actually launch with at least half those things. To answer your question though, I think the race in areas like the US and UK would have been closer, but globally I doubt much would have changed.

Sosokrates

To be fair, the XB1 did actually launch with at least half those things. To answer your question though, I think the race in areas like the US and UK would have been closer, but globally I doubt much would have changed.

Well us and uk markets effect the global install base. They are 2 of the biggest markets afterall, but yes japan and much Europe would not be much better.

Top Bottom