• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony have become incompetent

Kenji Ramon

Dial it back on the juvenile insults.
Here we go, another snot nosed neo member wants to come in and tell me what I can and can do.

First of all actually read my fucking comment before you try to insult my intelligence. I said the dude acted like he "ONLY" cared about the investors. Everyone knows he has to keep the damn people In his first thoughts when he's making a business decision smart ass but they aren't the only ones keeping the company afloat if that was the case they wouldn't need to sell us products.

I stand by my original statement and I agree with what Jig said, period.
Insult your intelligence? You need to have some before I can do that. The fact is he and Sony still need to keep investors happy, but at the same time, in order to do that, they are keeping consumers happy too.

longdi

Banned
It is crazy how PC and x86 managed to keep outlasting their 'time is ending' predictions.

Consoles, as we know, are probably dead after ps5

thelastword

Banned
Horizon has been out for a while and it has been at $9.99 for the entire package, it's ok to let it make some more money on PC...…..Detroit going to PC is ok too......I don't think Sony has too much issue with PC, I think it's games can come to PC but much later, even via streaming, so it's ok...Some games if they help fund it can come to PC day 1, like competitive games like SFV, where you need everybody on board, sports titles like MLB is the best baseball game out there, so they use the extra revenue and bigger fanbase they can amass by going to PC day 1...…I think SP games will probably get a year exclusivity on the PS platform, however, I don't think every Sony game will go to PC, just a select few...…..Dreams is a platform, it makes sense to be on PC...…..Who knows, maybe Sony has some plans to license the Decima engine too, maybe set-up their own store-front on PC, get a piece of that pie....

I think what can help with that, is all the work they've been doing to boosting PSN for next gen, improving the infrastructure by leaps and bounds, if more PC gamers are going to play titles like MLB on day one, maybe they would require a PSN ID and maybe Sony can improve crossplay and communication channels between PC and PS players without any breaches and hokus pokus.....Look at the PC MOD of SFV for PC, it kinda breaks online play between PC vs PS4 players, these are the things they need to be solving right now, ensuring that if there is to be some cross-communication between titles that their network makes it easy to implement....

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Again if hardly anyone is buying the ps5 then why sink all that money into creating the system? Sony isn't winning in both front ls they are sacrificing one platform for another and burning the confidence of its player base from the ps4.

Define hardly? Because this notion they are going to knee cap sales is perposterous. The PlayStation isn't suddenly going to go from 100 MILLION systems to 6 million.

Foxbat

Banned
Are you 12 years old? He’s a business man of course he would be worried about investors. The whole company is. You have no right to say who gets “fired” as your just a nobody on a random forum on the internet. By the way, that PS5 had over 5 million likes on Instagram while the Xbox SeX on had 400k likes - and that was with the whole reveal of the console lol.

"Are you 12 years old?"

Then directly proceeds with
"Xbox SeX" and how important likes on Instagram are.

Thanks. I needed the laugh.

"Are you 12 years old?"

The whole comparing Instagram likes thing is like arguing with someone who always has to get the last word in. Its a never ending argument and the goals posts are forever shifting, and needless to say very embarrassing.

Last edited:
Man if I'm Sony I'm debunking RIGHT NOW that leaked design image, that would be the single ugliest piece of gaming hardware ever and yes I've considered all the fugly ones we've had. Like I'm going on an official account and saying it's false and calling the people behind the leak a motherfucker.

DrAspirino

Banned
They've consistently put out and funded great games that I enjoy playing and have sold a boatload of consoles, software, and services this generation. I'd say they are anything but incompetent.
There has been around 106 million PS4s shipped out of the factory, however, there's only 38.7 million subscribers on their PS+ service. Their exclusive games have sold around 10 millions each, while multiplats like Fortnite or CoD or FIFA have sold at least 3 times that EACH.

True, they've been pretty successful selling consoles, but software and services? not so much.

I miss the "good ol' days" of the PS1 and PS2, when Sony really cared about users and was run as a japanese company. Their current direction is anything but that, IMHO.

Woo-Fu

Banned
All that "good ol' days" shit is in your head. It's a giant corporation, it always has been. The main thing in the equation that has changed? You. Go back to when you first started, when your focus was almost exclusively on the games. Do that and you'll think Sony is doing great.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Horizon has been out for a while and it has been at $9.99 for the entire package, it's ok to let it make some more money on PC...…..Detroit going to PC is ok too......I don't think Sony has too much issue with PC, I think it's games can come to PC but much later, even via streaming, so it's ok...Some games if they help fund it can come to PC day 1, like competitive games like SFV, where you need everybody on board, sports titles like MLB is the best baseball game out there, so they use the extra revenue and bigger fanbase they can amass by going to PC day 1...…I think SP games will probably get a year exclusivity on the PS platform, however, I don't think every Sony game will go to PC, just a select few...…..Dreams is a platform, it makes sense to be on PC...…..Who knows, maybe Sony has some plans to license the Decima engine too, maybe set-up their own store-front on PC, get a piece of that pie....

I think what can help with that, is all the work they've been doing to boosting PSN for next gen, improving the infrastructure by leaps and bounds, if more PC gamers are going to play titles like MLB on day one, maybe they would require a PSN ID and maybe Sony can improve crossplay and communication channels between PC and PS players without any breaches and hokus pokus.....Look at the PC MOD of SFV for PC, it kinda breaks online play between PC vs PS4 players, these are the things they need to be solving right now, ensuring that if there is to be some cross-communication between titles that their network makes it easy to implement....

Don't underestimate what those select few will be.

Neofire

Define hardly? Because this notion they are going to knee cap sales is perposterous. The PlayStation isn't suddenly going to go from 100 MILLION systems to 6 million.
Well to be accurate, the ps5 isn't sitting at 100 million sold lol, it's at 0, potential buyers are being put off by this news I can assure you. Many had interest in buying the ps5 on this very forum and have said they aren't if this is true.

For me HZD isn't a big deal being on the pc after 3 years but the implications of what Sony is going to start doing has me worried for the Playstation brand, which I've invested in heavily.

DrAspirino

Banned
All that "good ol' days" shit is in your head. It's a giant corporation, it always has been. The main thing in the equation that has changed? You. Go back to when you first started, when your focus was almost exclusively on the games. Do that and you'll think Sony is doing great.
Do you remember the PS1 and PS2 era?

I do focus in games and that's why I commented about the good ol' days: we had more exclusive games in a year than this entire generation. Let that sink in.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There has been around 106 million PS4s shipped out of the factory, however, there's only 38.7 million subscribers on their PS+ service. Their exclusive games have sold around 10 millions each, while multiplats like Fortnite or CoD or FIFA have sold at least 3 times that EACH.

True, they've been pretty successful selling consoles, but software and services? not so much.

I miss the "good ol' days" of the PS1 and PS2, when Sony really cared about users and was run as a japanese company. Their current direction is anything but that, IMHO.

Nearly 40 million subscriptions is an insanely good number and is a revenue stream they simply didn't have in the PS2 era. Software sales of 1st party games and other exclusives in the 10s of millions of units each is nothing to scoff at. How much did you think their 1st party games sold in the PS2 era? God of War PS4 has sold more units than God of War and God of War II on PS2 combined, for example.

Sony claims to have sold 1.15 billion "games" on PS4. Now I'm sure that includes plenty of cheaper titles, but that is a shit ton of software and they are making money from each sale, 3rd party or 1st.

I'd say they are doing quite well indeed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Man if I'm Sony I'm debunking RIGHT NOW that leaked design image, that would be the single ugliest piece of gaming hardware ever and yes I've considered all the fugly ones we've had. Like I'm going on an official account and saying it's false and calling the people behind the leak a motherfucker.
Same. Sony normally have good looking consoles. They should just use the design of one of the fan renders, some of those looked awesome. Pay the dude 10 grand for his troubles and away you go.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Don't worry gamers. Jim Ryan is steering the ship. lol

giphy.gif

Barakov

Gold Member
I don't think it's quite time to hit the panic button yet but their attitude on certain things in the past couple of years is eyebrow raising at the very least. I suppose it's possible that Jim Ryan could be Sony's Don Mattrick(I originally thought it was going to be Shawn Layden but he left before that happened) but I think it's too early to say. Their attitude at the event when they reveal the PS5 will be a good tell, I think.

Last edited:
This is just the beginning. Horizons is just the ice breaker.
Reality is Sony is going to push PSNow and will have to copy what MS has done with gamepass to compete. So MS sells gamepass across both PC and Xbox, and Sony will end up doing the same. So if you have people paying for PSNow on PC, you cant gimp what they get compared to the console customer. Down the track as streaming picks up steam, all Sony first party games will be added to PSNow day one, and will be available to both console and PC at the same time.
The landscape is changing and Sony know that they will have to be able to compete with not only MS, but Google and Amazon.

DrAspirino

Banned
Nearly 40 million subscriptions is an insanely good number and is a revenue stream they simply didn't have in the PS2 era. Software sales of 1st party games and other exclusives in the 10s of millions of units each is nothing to scoff at. How much did you think their 1st party games sold in the PS2 era? God of War PS4 has sold more units than God of War and God of War II on PS2 combined, for example.

Sony claims to have sold 1.15 billion "games" on PS4. Now I'm sure that includes plenty of cheaper titles, but that is a shit ton of software and they are making money from each sale, 3rd party or 1st.

I'd say they are doing quite well indeed...
I agree that nearly 40 million subscribers is an insanely good number, but if you take into account the ammount of PS4s in the market, the reach is only 40% of the market. It means that for every 10 PS4s the've sold, only 4 actively use their online service. The game sales are indeed great, but when you compare them to the 106M installed base, they pale. They haven't given any reason at all for those 60% that doesn't use PS+ to buy a subscription.

If you had, for example, only 60M PS4s sold, but keep the same ammount of software and services sales, the percentages would be quite different and we would be talking about an absolute success in brand and services loyalty.

This is the start of current gen all over again. Lol

MS keeps running their mouth, boasting about whatever, making dumb statements and decision and then flip-flop with their PR and people start to be "concerned" about Sony.

And at the end of next-gen, we'll be in the same boat again, having the same discussions with different concerns. Smh
None of this has anything to do with MS.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that nearly 40 million subscribers is an insanely good number, but if you take into account the ammount of PS4s in the market, the reach is only 40% of the market. It means that for every 10 PS4s the've sold, only 4 actively use their online service. The game sales are indeed great, but when you compare them to the 106M installed base, they pale. They haven't given any reason at all for those 60% that doesn't use PS+ to buy a subscription.

If you had, for example, only 60M PS4s sold, but keep the same ammount of software and services sales, the percentages would be quite different and we would be talking about an absolute success in brand and services loyalty.

Eh, I dunno. I've purchased two PS4s (one base and one Pro) and only subscribed to PS+ for the first year. I don't care to play online on my PS4 at all and only own it for the exclusives while PC is where I primarily play games.

Bkdk

Without a PC version with great customization support I’m not interested at many of their first party titles anyway if their lineup is gonna be similar as what we have this gen.

Jtibh

Banned
In the last 2 years, I have seen PlayStation allow great games to be reviewed before final patches, duck out of E3, let all of Quantic Dreams games go to PC along with funding Death Stranding and let that also go to PC.... now Horizon Zero Dawn is the latest to go to PC.

The direct type 'State of Plays' are boring and have zero personality and right now, it looks like they fired anyone that was liked by the community.

There are many credible rumors of PS5 coming in under the performance of Series X, the latest leaked design is hideous and looks incredibly cheap.

I have absolutly no confidence in the current direction that PlayStation is heading, if they continue to make their games multiplatform... I think many will just stop buying their hardware. I am certainly seriously considering this...

I wonder how many of the PlayStation owners on Gaf feel about the current direction?
You guys were complaining about getting no news from sony.
They said then that they will have lot of news coming in the next few weeks so here is todays sony news, hzd comes out on pc.
So you want sony news or not?
Pssshhh go to the gym and get some muscles , cry baby.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Don't underestimate what those select few will be.

Don't do that to him. It took the poor little warrior 12 hours to respond to this one lmao. His poor little blue heart probably can't take another "loss" like this...... (please let it be GoW announced next for pc 🙏🙏🙏🙏). 🤣🤣🤣

It's a good job you're not in marketing.
Why on earth would you needlessly call attention to a thing that a fraction of a fraction of your potential username are even aware of.

Smart business practice is to ignore it, unless it's something with legal implications.

Kenji Ramon

"Are you 12 years old?"

I thought. Xbox SeX was the abbreviation everyone used to describe the new console? Don’t blame me for Microsoft’s awful name for the new console. Also, I’m not sure if you know about a thing called social media, but it’s extremely important to see the metrics of it so gather how popular a product/brand me. I wouldn’t expect you to know that though.

Dacon

Banned
These doom and gloom threads over Sony exclusivity are hilarious.

Sony loses nothing by selling first party games on pc. Their games will stay exclusive on their platform in the console market, and they make more money with software sales on pc.

People who are longtime console gamers are not going to suddenly stop playing console games, and shell out 2500 dollars or more to play the same games on a high end pc instead of on a much more affordable console.

Brand loyalty is driving people insane.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
It's an interesting take.

I feel like Sony has gotten a bit lazy (can we say it here?) towards the end of the gen, and i think it's understandable to some extent, it's like they said:

"PS4 has been a huge success, Playstation is again a leading brand in the console space after what happened with PS3, now we can save money and tone down everything".

Their last live conferences were abysmal (last PSX in particular, 2-3 hours of absolutely nothing), then they even stopped doing press conferences, they ditched E3, their State of Play looks very cheap, and you often feels like they set those up only to promote that one big game they have (let's say Death Stranding or Days Gone), shovelling a bunch of other trailers of random games.

Up until few weeks ago i thought this was going to end with the release of the next gen system, but they've already confirmed they'll skip E3 again, maybe it will change next year idk.

I've a feeling Sony is now more confident they can achieve the same results with less push on everything, i'm just not that sure that is true.

On other hand though with all the good talk about Xbox lately, i can still see a number of issues they keep ignoring, it's not that Xbox is doing wonders either, but they are taking advantage of what Sony is leaving.

Last edited by a moderator:

thelastword

Banned
OP, it's really ok...….I don't think that's the only news Sony has coming, I'm quite sure they have lots more to say...…..So at the meeting in February, perhaps they will reveal more of their strategy around their decisions and perhaps give you more reasons to believe in said strategy......

Personally, I'm where the games are, the most appealing games and best games......I usually buy SWWS games day 1, so I'm not going to wait to buy them 2-3 years later on PC, even SFV I bought it first on PS4, then eventually on PC, we are a double dipping nation anyway......If they do reveal the specs, that should be a high point, personally I'm stoked for the custom engineering, but when it comes to games and Sony delivering on the games, it's the least of my worries.......Whilst the fruit has dried everywhere else, PS4 owners are still on lock for LOU2, FF7-R, Tsushima, Dreams and quite a few more exclusives and as good as 2020 will be for games for PS owners, it's not unprecedented or something new, the same thing happened just before PS4 arrived when we enjoyed GOW Ascension, LOU1, GT6 etc...on PS3.........Sony is all about the games and I'm pretty sure they will sweeten the deal for PS5 owners and ensure that there are millions of reasons to purchase a PS5.......

Just hang tight.....Actually MS's strategy has been to rush Sony's hands......They reveal a Series X box render and they expect Sony to reveal specs so they can react, MS has not revealed anything of worth, they fuel many insignificant talking points, for e.g. so many articles on Sony missing E3 is wrong, Sony is not revealing much and keeping it's fans in the dark, Sony is not preparing for next gen and complacent, you remember all those articles? Who do you think is pushing that? It's all in an effort to force Sony's hand and create panic from it's fans......As I said before, there is absolutely no reason for Sony to say anything PS5 right now, we have enough time, keep the reveal closer to launch and blow the competition out of the water with specs, custom engineering, unique features and games/game demos as they did in 2013......

The most important things are the games, where are the games you want to play? If they are still on a PS, then that answers your question, most of Sony's first party games will be 60fps anyway, so the differentiator with PC versions 2-3 years later would be higher framerates if you have the PC kit.......Sony wants to expand it's VR audience too, so the VR devs can get more dev money, be more ambitious, so PSVR2 can hit mainstream.....I mean 5 million VR units is fine, but I'm sure they want more......As I said we are a double dipping nation, the strategy is to give PC owners a taste of those great Sony exclusives, when they Play Zero Dawn, they may want to play the sequel Day 1 and get a PS5 for it...….Certainly, it's one way to increase hardware sales and adoption, perhaps from people who are/were only PC folk who would never consider a console otherwise, but if it's one thing that brings people to the waters, it's the games and this is where Sony is the strongest......

Sony is definitely not incompetent coming off it's strongest console for revenue and perhaps when all is said and done, the most console sales and most software sold......They have a strategy to boost PS5 sales beyond the 100-150m conventions, trying to bring in PC users is one way, they are pushing hard in other regions, trying to get larger adoption in Korea, China, Africa, India......In as much as the current strategy of exclusives is strong, you have to think of how it is console sales and revenue can be expanded to and they would have to make some bold decisions to achieve that, the great thing, they have Excalibur on their side, it's been their biggest strength, it's the games, and with that, they are trying to grow the PS base even more...…...

I'm pretty sure there will be lots you will be stoked for as they reveal their plans for next gen, but for now don't ever make people deflect and take your eyes what you really have......A guy in a leg-cast is in the benches saying you can't run, you have no strategy to win the next race, but you are Usain Bolt, you've broken records and have decimated the competition this year, surely you won't leave your race peg for your last race of the year and go fight that guy in the stands? Surely you won't..….That's what he wants to put you off...…..Just remember, what year you are getting relative to games this year on PS4, this is where competency is measured, the games, if PC guys get to enjoy them a year or a few years later, so be it, they are welcome.....it doesn't affect us....

I agree . Extremely disappointed in Sony in the recent months and their lack of communication and vision .
They seem to be following MS when they don’t need to instead of focusing on their strengths and work on their weaknesses o the side .

hopefully they can change it around after PS meeting

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Gonna go ahead and skip 6 pages of dribble and assume this has already been posted

q91ROve.png

Edited for non-handhelds:

6BXAPIn.png

If incompetency leads to the fourth four of the five best selling consoles of all time, maybe we should all take a leaf out of Sony's book and start annoying the people on the internet that make up 3% of their user base

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Still will have more exclusives than xbox.
Horizon on the pc 3 years later really doesnt mean much...
Whos the competition? Xbox has no console exclusives and Nintendo are there own league

vkbest

Gonna go ahead and skip 6 pages of dribble and assume this has already been posted

q91ROve.png

If incompetency leads to the fourth best selling console of all time, maybe we should all take a leaf out of Sony's book and start annoying the people on the internet that make up 3% of their user base

Sony selling 106 millions is because 7-8 years ago strategy and launch state, now is selling like hotcakes because the console was a success and is the market leader That doesn't mean, current strategy is good, and PS5 will sell equal or more PS4 did.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sony selling 106 millions is because 7-8 years ago strategy and launch state, now is selling like hotcakes because the console was a success and is the market leader That doesn't mean, current strategy is good, and PS5 will sell equal or more PS4 did.

Their "current strategy" is to release big games that sell well. They've been doing it for a long time and it's not gonna stop this year.

The overwhelming majority of people that buy Playstations don't give a shiny shit about E3 vs State of Play, or about PS4 games coming to PC years later, or that it might be slightly weaker than the SeX. They just need to release a new box with shiny new games and people will buy it. These threads are getting boring.

Last edited:
What does the latest leaked design look like? I thought the V-shaped dev kit was the only thing that was revealed.

Edit: looked into it and these are the images in circulation:
PS54CHAN.jpg

1579026227338-e1579179397321.jpg

1579026141279-e1579179360390.jpg

If this is real, then I think Xbox Series X has won in the looks department.
If this is real then its a weird choice because it looks a bit like an X on it's side. Did they get confused which company they were designing the shape for?

xrnzaaas

Lol half of the OP's complaints are whining about PC ports. What's the big deal... all those truly interested in Horizon and Death Stranding have already played them, nothing wrong about reaching out to new potential customers who were unwilling to buy a PS4.

As for parting with Quantic Dreams, it was a wise business decision for Sony. Their games never sold great initially, instead they slowly kept increasing their playerbase. Sony wants to make big games that sell millions of units in the first months after release. You can hate the fact that they're abandoning smaller AAA titles and indies, but that's how it is. Big games bring them big money.

Last edited:

pLow7

This is like the biggest nonsense i've read since browsing GAF.

You have seriously no idea what you are talking about lol.

Just for context:

70% of Sonys Gaming Revenue comes from Network, Physical Games and Digital games. 2018 they made about 15 Billion US Dollar on PSN and Games ALONE, that alone is more than XBOX entire gaming division.

So no, while Sony is good at selling Consoles, they are even better at selling Games and Services.

Last edited:
Top Bottom