• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony have become incompetent

Bryank75

Banned
Everything that has happened since Jim Ryan took over. Play the video.

Juan is annoying but there is some truth to the video, there has been a lot of negative news and little positive since Jim Ryan took over. He's put a dampener on everything IMO.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not everything needs to be taken serious, but yeah perhaps. I thought it was funny. It makes me wonder if Shawn Layden left because of this Jim Ryan vision.

No, what’s garbage is having your online identity being wrapped around an inanimate object of silicon, and being grown ass men balding and grey hair, ever bit the warriors still.

It always comes back to the same people pushing the discord too, on all sides. Ambassadors of FUD and damage control. For swag and most of the time, free. 😂👌

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Not everything needs to be taken serious, but yeah perhaps. I thought it was funny. It makes me wonder if Shawn Layden left because of this Jim Ryan vision.
There must be a point where people realize, it's never one man...….I don't buy into the Sony Doom and Gloom, if anything, Doom and Gloom Miss Cleo readings always ends up in huge success for Sony, so only if you interpret the prophecy in an "opposites" fashion, will you be right....

Even if one were to believe in this doom and gloom prophesying, Jim Ryan could never tumble Sony into Oblivion, just like Mattrick was not soley responsible for the atrocities everybody tries to pin on him......It's never one man, people continue to put Phil Spencer on a pedestal having nothing tangible to show and they throw Jim under the bus, when he is raking in milestone after milestone...…...At least give him next gen and tumble in his hide if he fails, but if he brings PS to new heights next gen, you think the haters here will come apologize and say he did great work...…? "Not a chance", it will be another poor exec that they pass the hate to or another talking point of arrogant Sony or another molehill that is now insurmountable...….The earth is dying, north pole is melting, aliens are attacking, Greta is angry towards Sony......There will be something else, that's why it's all noise at best......Wishing that Sony would fail at worst.....

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Juan is annoying but there is some truth to the video, there has been a lot of negative news and little positive since Jim Ryan took over. He's put a dampener on everything IMO.
So you think the decisions regarding the unveiling of PS5 and movement of older titles to other platforms (allegedly) is unilateral, as opposed to their being multiple individuals collectively determining the best course of action? Doesn't sound sensible or logical at all. The video that you reference is made by someone who has Xbox in their name. They're apparently a Microsoft zealot, and so this is kinda like just desserts for Sony fans to them.

Bryank75

Banned
So you think the decisions regarding the unveiling of PS5 and movement of older titles to other platforms (allegedly) is unilateral, as opposed to their being multiple individuals collectively determining the best course of action? Doesn't sound sensible or logical at all. The video that you reference is made by someone who has Xbox in their name. They're apparently a Microsoft zealot, and so this is kinda like just desserts for Sony fans to them.
I know who Juan is.... I know most people in the community... Crap, NextGen, Iron Wolf, Ap99, Jaytech, Jaybari, Dobby etc etc.

At the same time, I feel like these moves are PlayStation turning their back on their core fans and everything they value about the brand.
They would rather listen to people who dont buy PlayStations and run after MS (who are losing).

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I know who Juan is.... I know most people in the community... Crap, NextGen, Iron Wolf, Ap99, Jaytech, Jaybari, Dobby etc etc.

At the same time, I feel like these moves are PlayStation turning their back on their core fans and everything they value about the brand.
They would rather listen to people who dont buy PlayStations and run after MS (who are losing).
...But we don't know anything concerning Sony's next-gen plans, so how can you say with any modicum of certainty that they have abandoned, or betrayed their supporters? Honestly, how is a 3 year old game like Horizon arriving on PC affecting PS5 , when PS5 players will inevitably be getting Horizon 2? You're treating speculation as fact, and even if the rumor turns out to be true, it's unlikely that Horizon 2 will arrive Day 1 on both PS5 and PC. More than likely, Horizon 2 will arrive at least a year after it releases on PS5, or after the game's sales have plateaued on PS5. Changes like these were hinted at, or said prior to these rumors however. MLB: The Show was the biggest indicator of an emerging ideology at Sony, but Shawn Layden also said that Sony acknowledged the failings they had with a lack of multiplayer games this generation. You don't have to look very hard to see that Fortnite, Minecraft, and other free-to-play multiplayer titles are dominating popular culture, so at the very least some of Sony's future multiplayer titles were destined to be offered to a wider demographic.

HZD has run its course on PS4, and won't sell a sizable amount more in present PS markets so it makes business sense to offer the game to a new market segment and make money near effortlessly, especially with Decima Engine being on PC soon with Death Stranding. Sony would be foolish to leave money on the table like that. PC also isn't a direct competitor to consoles, so PS5 sales aren't jeopardized so long as Sony opts not to release exclusives on PC Day 1. I think that's how Sony's strategy will differ from Microsoft's and protect their hardware business. Just think for a second, why would Sony invest billions in hardware R&D only to cripple the product of that expenditure? That strategy benefits MS because most PC gamers are Windows users, and if someone opts to forego a Xbox because they have a gaming PC or will build one, MS will still benefit because there are less inroads for them to build with all the different gaming initiatives they have available to PC players. So whatever they lose in hardware sales they'll recoup in software and player engagement with their ecosystems. The untapped market of PC gamers, who are supporters of software that have had staggered releases, helped to drive Sony to this decision. MH:W is proof-positive of that. As long as PS5 gamers get the games first for supporting that platform, and can keep their sense of superiority, I think that's all the will really matter in the end.

Son, MS releases day and date with PC and gamepass, that's a bad move.

Edit: Tell me again how did Gears of War 5 do both on Xbox and Steam again? Thought so.

Wasn't Gears 5 just a massive over-hyped microtransactions machine? Thought so.

I have no arguement in the "Sony bad/Sony good" argument, I just find it all funny.

Bryank75

Banned
...But we don't know anything concerning Sony's next-gen plans, so how can you say with any modicum of certainty that they have abandoned, or betrayed their supporters? Honestly, how is a 3 year old game like Horizon arriving on PC affecting PS5 , when PS5 players will inevitably be getting Horizon 2? You're treating speculation as fact, and even if the rumor turns out to be true, it's unlikely that Horizon 2 will arrive Day 1 on both PS5 and PC. More than likely, Horizon 2 will arrive at least a year after it releases on PS5, or after the game's sales have plateaued on PS5. Changes like these were hinted at, or said prior to these rumors however. MLB: The Show was the biggest indicator of an emerging ideology at Sony, but Shawn Layden also said that Sony acknowledged the failings they had with a lack of multiplayer games this generation. You don't have to look very hard to see that Fortnite, Minecraft, and other free-to-play multiplayer titles are dominating popular culture, so at the very least some of Sony's future multiplayer titles were destined to be offered to a wider demographic.

HZD has run its course on PS4, and won't sell a sizable amount more in present PS markets so it makes business sense to offer the game to a new market segment and make money near effortlessly, especially with Decima Engine being on PC soon with Death Stranding. Sony would be foolish to leave money on the table like that. PC also isn't a direct competitor to consoles, so PS5 sales aren't jeopardized so long as Sony opts not to release exclusives on PC Day 1. I think that's how Sony's strategy will differ from Microsoft's and protect their hardware business. Just think for a second, why would Sony invest billions in hardware R&D only to cripple the product of that expenditure? That strategy benefits MS because most PC gamers are Windows users, and if someone opts to forego a Xbox because they have a gaming PC or will build one, MS will still benefit because there are less inroads for them to build with all the different gaming initiatives they have available to PC players. So whatever they lose in hardware sales they'll recoup in software and player engagement with their ecosystems. The untapped market of PC gamers, who are supporters of software that have had staggered releases, helped to drive Sony to this decision. MH:W is proof-positive of that. As long as PS5 gamers get the games first for supporting that platform, and can keep their sense of superiority, I think that's all the will really matter in the end.
There is no superiority , all we get is '30fps' and 'thanks for beta testing it for us' etc.
If you think people like me will not change to PC, you have no idea. If this is the way, I'll just go fully PC. I was on PC from 1999 to 2006. Then Xbox 360, then PS3, then PS4.
I go where gaming is best. PlayStation 4 offered that but looks like the new management don't want to continue that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Son, MS releases day and date with PC and gamepass, that's a bad move.

Edit: Tell me again how did Gears of War 5 do both on Xbox and Steam again? Thought so.
Gears seems to be trending down for years. The shooter crowd is military shooters and the Fortnites and Overwatches of the world. Just like arena shooters and WWII games died off too.

For every Halo and Gears game that aren't top sellers anymore, there's many more that are completely zero sellers as the franchises have been dead for years including Resistance, Socom, MAG, Warhawk/Starhawk and Killzone.

Even worse, half of the studios that made the games had employees fired and shut down.

Thought so.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
There is no superiority , all we get is '30fps' and 'thanks for beta testing it for us' etc.
If you think people like me will not change to PC, you have no idea. If this is the way, I'll just go fully PC. I was on PC from 1999 to 2006. Then Xbox 360, then PS3, then PS4.
I go where gaming is best. PlayStation 4 offered that but looks like the new management don't want to continue that.
Exactly happened to MS in masses. If people think a couple of sales at 10 dollars on steam will make up for the loss of day 1 60 dollar sales and those people purchasing other games, controller and ps plus their disingenuous.

Bryank75

Banned
Exactly happened to MS in masses. If people think a couple of sales at 10 dollars on steam will make up for the loss of day 1 60 dollar sales and those people purchasing other games, controller and ps plus their disingenuous.
Far away hills are always greener. They don't appreciate what they have until it's gone and they have to start from scratch. What they need is a Wii U size humbling.

giphy.gif

another xbox thread :messenger_winking:
Is that Steph?🤭😂

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Everything that has happened since Jim Ryan took over. Play the video.

this is a load of shit.

the video shows he got hired on feb 11 of 2019. the video shows that e3 2019 was cancelled months before he became CEO. the video shows that psx 2018 was cancelled literally months before he became ceo in 2019. the video tries to make it look like he had the flute guy up on stage in e3 2018 when he didnt become ceo 9 months after that e3.

i am no fan of jim ryan but this is fucking dishonest, lies and straight up garbage.

Proelite

Sony is fine and will be fine. In fact they'll be making more money than ever before from games in the upcoming years.

Bar global catastrophe, the global gaming pie is going to grow faster than Playstation can grow. They're just making changes to ride the wave.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Ok. Fuck off. Go to PC.

This shit is so annoying.

Its a bold strategy, but it kind of signifies that Jim Ryan doesn't have much confidence in the PS5. Its probably an indication of Sony testing the idea of turning the PS brand into a fullblown streaming service/app in the future, just in case the PS5 doesn't perform as expected.

Cross post from spec thread:

Ok, so this is from that russian guy who predicted/leaked DS on PC, HZD on pc, and CP2077 delay via ree:

From that article: "Logvinov claims the PS5 will not have a single major exclusive at launch, offering buyers enhanced versions of popular PS4 exclusives instead. The Xbox, meanwhile, will get anywhere between 12 to 16 exclusives right on day one, although not all of them will be major releases."

That's hilarious if true.

Kagey K

Banned
Its a bold strategy, but it kind of signifies that Jim Ryan doesn't have much confidence in the PS5. Its probably an indication of Sony testing the idea of turning the PS brand into a fullblown streaming service/app in the future, just in case the PS5 doesn't perform as expected.

That's hilarious if true.
That can’t be right. Most consoles have 10-12 games available day 1 with 2 or 3 being next gen exclusive.

I can’t see this being true.

Your opininion doesn't change the score and how can you tell the sales figures since there is a thing called game pass?

Even if the entirety of my 5 dollars a month on Gamepass was considered funding for the Gears franchise it'd take 12 months for me to have bought a copy normally under such weird rules. Also if Metacritic was an objective metric of quality people around here would have to stop pretending Control is mediocre (mostly people who never played it).

Sussoloc

Even if the entirety of my 5 dollars a month on Gamepass was considered funding for the Gears franchise it'd take 12 months for me to have bought a copy normally under such weird rules. Also if Metacritic was an objective metric of quality people around here would have to stop pretending Control is mediocre (mostly people who never played it).

That's not how it works for Microsoft. They are more interested in a large customer base and in customer loyalty for the future than in making quick cash. You just can't know how many people would have bought the game without game pass, so it's useless to discuss that.

Metacritic is pretty much accurate if it comes to good and bad games, but you can speak ill any game if you just want to. For example i could say 90% of Spiderman is just Batman in Spiderman costume and Horizon is Ubisoft open world forumla mixed with Tomb Raider or a 3rd person version of Far Cry Primal with metal skins. But all that does't change the fact, that Gears, Horizon and Spiderman are good games.

That's not how it works for Microsoft. They are more interested in a large customer base and in customer loyalty for the future than in making quick cash. You just can't know how many people would have bought the game without game pass, so it's useless to discuss that.

Metacritic is pretty much accurate if it comes to good and bad games, but you can speak ill any game if you just want to. For example i could say 90% of Spiderman is just Batman in Spiderman costume and Horizon is Ubisoft open world forumla mixed with Tomb Raider or a 3rd person version of Far Cry Primal with metal skins. But all that does't change the fact, that Gears, Horizon and Spiderman are good games.

I mean, I know what Gears 4 sold and it didn't set the world on fire. Plus the PR from Microsoft was that Gamepass boosted game sales but now it's "we can't know what it'd have sold without it" which is like okay. What do you mean the fact that certain games are good games? Your opinion isn't objective even when some of the things you base it on have objective qualities to them. You can objectively say a lot of people liked Gears 5 (argumentum ad populum) but you can't say it's objectively good because there is no objective scale that we judge video games on, just like all other forms of media. I also don't know what it means to claim Metacritic is accurate but that would just lean on your idea of these things being factual I'm sure. I wouldn't even say Metacritic is an accurate portayal of how critics feel due to their weighting system.

meirl

Banned
Cross post from spec thread:

Ok, so this is from that russian guy who predicted/leaked DS on PC, HZD on pc, and CP2077 delay via ree:

Osiris is right, ms is killing it, it in this case being the ps5 launch.

makes Sense. It was the same as this gen. Sony didn’t have anything great at launch. And this time Microsoft won’t fuck this up. There will not be tv, not Kinect, just pure raw power and a lot of games.

Sussoloc

I mean, I know what Gears 4 sold and it didn't set the world on fire. Plus the PR from Microsoft was that Gamepass boosted game sales but now it's "we can't know what it'd have sold without it" which is like okay. What do you mean the fact that certain games are good games? Your opinion isn't objective even when some of the things you base it on have objective qualities to them. You can objectively say a lot of people liked Gears 5 (argumentum ad populum) but you can't say it's objectively good because there is no objective scale that we judge video games on, just like all other forms of media. I also don't know what it means to claim Metacritic is accurate but that would just lean on your idea of these things being factual I'm sure. I wouldn't even say Metacritic is an accurate portayal of how critics feel due to their weighting system.

You have to see the sales figures of a gears of war 4 in relation to the sold hardware at that time. How often was it sold? 3,5 million times? How often was the Xbox sold by that time? 22 million times? Not too bad seen as a percentage if the numbers are correct.

If the average from dozens of reviews all over the world is 80+ i think i can call a game objectively good.

You have to see the sales figures of a gears of war 4 in relation to the sold hardware at that time. How often was it sold? 3,5 million times? How often was the Xbox sold by that time? 22 million times? Not too bad seen as a percentage if the numbers are correct.

If the average from dozens of reviews all over the world is 80+ i think i can call a game objectively good.

I mean you can do what you want but you'd be wrong.

Kagey K

Banned
The funny thing is that most of the “exclusives” that people liked weren’t even Sony games. They were made by 3rd parties that either chose to be exclusive or contractually had to.

I don’t think there will be many left going into next gen. The days of Persona or Yakuza being exclusive are behind them. They are going to have to push their 1st parties to be more efficient,

Last edited:

Sussoloc

He's a good guy, always had my back before I got banned off Twitter. He's just passionate.
I believe that he is a good guy, but if he is serious about all that he should ask himself if a plastic toy is worth all the fuss. There is no holy war for Sony, we are all just gamers. It's a thin line between being passionate and fanatical.

Neofire

Omg that is the most cringe worthy truth I've seen on Gaf lol. Jim Ryan's leadership is worrisome. Did his ass really get some Caucasian European to on stage in a traditional Japanese garb? Smh now that shit is truly cultural appropriation on top of that dude couldn't play the flute for shit.

Graciaus

I fail to see how potentially getting people to buy your games that were never going to buy your console in the first place is a bad thing.

For every person who switches to PC there are many more that will stay with consoles.

What does the latest leaked design look like? I thought the V-shaped dev kit was the only thing that was revealed.

Edit: looked into it and these are the images in circulation:
PS54CHAN.jpg

1579026227338-e1579179397321.jpg

1579026141279-e1579179360390.jpg

If this is real, then I think Xbox Series X has won in the looks department.
Ironically enough, this box is shaped like a giant X...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This current wave of anti-Playstation FUD is hilarious.

People are acting like the sky is falling when absolutely nothing has happened yet! And even if these rumours of unannounced ports turn out to be true, so fucking what. When Sony announces from here on out all PS exclusives will also go to PC then it'll be time to talk about it, right now though is not the time.

The funny thing is that most of the “exclusives” that people liked weren’t even Sony games. They were made by 3rd parties that either chose to be exclusive or contractually had to.

I don’t think there will be many left going into next gen. The days of Persona or Yakuza being exclusive are behind them. They are going to have to push their 1st parties to be more efficient,

Persona and Yakuza are not as big selling as God of War and Uncharted as franchises. The Last of Us sold more as a single entry in a franchise than either entire franchise as well. I'm not sure you're making much of a point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Omg that is the most cringe worthy truth I've seen on Gaf lol. Jim Ryan's leadership is worrisome. Did his ass really get some Caucasian European to on stage in a traditional Japanese garb? Smh now that shit is truly cultural appropriation on top of that dude couldn't play the flute for shit.

You mean this guy?

Neofire

You mean this guy?

Yeah that's him, if he's a master at playing the flute why does it sound different from his teacher and others that play it and 8 can respect that the Japanese have accepted him but why not get who was born in the culture on top of having their lineage wrapped in this art? As a black man that would be like be representing Anglo-Saxon culture just because I've studied it for a few decades. Certain things can not be emulated imo.

-MD-

I wouldn't buy a ps5, if i knew all exclusives were just a year late on PC.

Consoles are for people that want to plug something into a wall and go, PC is for enthusiasts.

People will still buy consoles, everyone else will just play all their games on PC with optimal performance. There are no downsides to this, everyone wins.

joe_zazen

You mean this guy?

thx for the link, it included this:

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah that's him, if he's a master at playing the flute why does it sound different from his teacher and others that play it and 8 can respect that the Japanese have accepted him but why not get who was born in the culture on top of having their lineage wrapped in this art? As a black man that would be like be representing Anglo-Saxon culture just because I've studied it for a few decades. Certain things can not be emulated imo.

Japan has recognized him as the best in the world, themselves. That is the highest honor that exists.

Sony is a Japanese company. They wanted the best, they went after the best. It’s really that simple.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Don't forget Flute guy's partner in crime at E3 2018.

And Sony wonders why some gamers don't think E3 is worth it anymore.

I thought E3 was for games, not music lessons in obscure musical instruments and costuming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom