• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony hints that the PS4 lifecycle may be shorter than PS3

Microsoft says that the Xbox One is a 10-year console, but what about the PlayStation 4? We asked Sony UK boss Fergal Gara whether the PS4 is in it for the long stretch.

"I think there's reasons to believe that the next cycle might be shorter in markets such as the UK," he said.

"It's probably a sign of the times and how much has changed in seven years, but I think the willingness and the appetite to pick up new technology fast has probably changed quite a bit."

"What we do know is that the uptake [of the PS4] is going to be very sharp," said Gara. "Does that mean this is going to be a much bigger cycle? Maybe. Or it might mean that it's just a bit more compressed into the first few years, that the latter years are a little softer."

http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...ps4-lifecycle-may-be-shorter-than-ps3-1203461

McDougles

4K is starting now, so it only makes sense that the life cycle will last as long as it takes for the gaming hardware to become affordable to consistently create that experience.

It absolutely will be. The length of last generation hurt the industry pretty badly. They won't do that again.

We're looking at a 6 year cycle this time, I'd say.

Good. PS3 lasted too long. Puppeteer should have been a PS4 title, it would have got much more limelight being a launch title and it's so fucking good. Honestly I think if Puppeteer had launched with the PS4 there wouldn't be a discussion as to the weakness of the launch line up.

I would like to see PS5 in 2018/19 please Sony!

entremet

It's obvious. Overly long cycles are detrimental to this industry. 5-6 years tops.

Everyone against shorter cycles knows that long cycles are outliers in this industry, right? Besides tech moves too fast these days. We've become used to mobile and tablets iterating yearly. For consoles that would be suicide, but this whole 10 year fantasy that Kutaragi promoted is pure poison for the industry that based on tech foremost.

5 to 6 years is fine, provided they continue to support the PS4 after its successor has launched. And Sony have always done that, so there's no reason to assume they won't continue to in the future.

As long as backward compatibility is a sure thing, I wouldn't mind shorter cycles.

Games will probably be developed for multiple platforms at any given time, engines being highly scalable.

Jal

Microsoft bring out a more powerful console a couple of years after Sony at the risk of being left behind from the PS5? I can't see it.

Ahasverus

Start saving.
Pretty much.

I liked the longer cycle, lots of people picked the concoles when they were cheap and still were in the loop for new releases. You guys in developed countries would never know how disgraceful it is to finally afford a console after it's abandoned.

"I think there's reasons to believe that the next cycle might be shorter in markets such as the UK," he said.

What does he mean by markets such as the UK? Seems odd to single out one market instead of talking about them collectively...

7Vita

Neo Member
A 5 year or less cycle would be great as long as they make it backward compatible with the PS4, not out of the question if they stick with off the shelf PC parts.

BibiMaghoo

Wonder if there will be a next console, or instead just a box that streams things.

I hope not. The death of consoles would be a sad day.

x-Lundz-x

Good, console life cycle should be 6 years max. Just make the next one backwards comatible since we have PC architecture now.

Abounder

Banned
Gaika Streaming
Steam Machines
Oculus Rift and other VR tech

These all point to short lifecycles for this generation. And the sales say that there will be demand (or so I hope)

Top Bottom