• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Indies, third-party games are Vita's focus moving forward

you can put me into the annoyed with Sony camp.

It hardly sends a great message to third parties if even the console maker wants nothing to do with it.

If you hadnt screwed up the launch price and still continue to screw up on the memory cards, things may have been different. I still hear people say though would buy aa Vita even now if it wasnt for the fact memory card prices are too high. That and with the lack of first party they dont want to take the risk.

damn, i'm annoyed right now.

thank god for all the j rpgs this system is getting from Japan.

Gamerloid

Its amazing to me that the power of crowd whining over memory cards actually killed a fantastic platform. Everyone back to your cell phone gaming or 3DS retro fest.

The device was $250 that required overpriced memory cards for the full experience card. 32GB going for $80 was a joke. That makes the Vita $330 just to get started without games.

That's not the gamers' fault, that's Sony. It was no doubt a bad move.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I seriously hope Nintendo has taken note of why gamers who have a Vita loves it so much. It's a great handheld, and I need for Nintendo to surpass it hardware wise because Sony doesn't know how it handle it.

It needs great specs
Easy portability like Vita
Dev friendly
Nintendo's IP

Gosh darn Sony...

I don't think taking notes from a portable rival that's being slaughtered in sales by your own product since day one is at the top of the list: mind it, I too would want Nintendo to step their game up and offer some of the Vita's peculiar capabilities, but most of the time you take inspiration from a success, not the other way around

kunonabi

I seriously hope Nintendo has taken note of why gamers who have a Vita loves it so much. It's a great handheld, and I need for Nintendo to surpass it hardware wise because Sony doesn't know how it handle it.

It needs great specs
Easy portability like Vita
Dev friendly
Nintendo's IP

Gosh darn Sony...

3DS is far more portable than the Vita especially compared to the original model. I also don't see how the vita of all things proves that great specs are necessary.

curb

Banned
That little part inside of me that is holding out hope for an Infamous game on Vita is crying again.

Enable that third party area to do some great stuff and import games from Japan (they are) and I'm all gravy.

What third party would want to develop a game for the Vita though? Unless Sony pays them to develop an exclusive, but how many of those games can Sony keep funding?

Puru

The biggest draw for me when it came to the PSP was not the Jak and Daxter spinoffs, but Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and other third party titles. Enable that third party area to do some great stuff and import games from Japan (they are) and I'm all gravy.

And, to be fair, I feel that the 3DS is struggling with the opposite - tons of great first party games, barely any third party titles.

What a weird ecosystem both are in.

Meh i dunno, they both have lackluster third party support in comparison to the psp/ds, i personally feel the 3DS has an higher first party support than the DS had and the vita even less than the PSP.

Both are disappointing devices but still worth buying for a few games.

mollipen

To be honest, Sony-brand games were never the reason I loved the PSP, and they haven't been a huge part of my love for the Vita.

On the other hand, two of my three favorite Vita games came from Sony: Gravity Rush and Tearaway. While I won't be completely heartbroken if GR2 goes to the PS4 instead, I'd really like to see it at least also get a Vita version as well. I can't imagine the game will be in limbo, whatever happens.

It is really sad that they're essentially giving up on their own platform, though. The Vita is a fantastic gaming device, but they've just had so much trouble figuring out what to do with it, which is a shame.

It sucks to hear, but it makes sense. They made first party games, no one bought them. So why keep making them?

Pretty much.

Did Sony try as hard as they possibly could have? No; they could have forced Naughty Dog and Santa Monica to develop for the platform.

Did they try hard enough to reasonably conclude that first-party resources - outside some Japan-targeted (SS, FW, Oreshika) and borderline shovelware (PS Vita Pets) titles - would be better spent on PS4? The first-year lineup says yes.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Indie haters to the left.

I love my PS Indie Portable Machine.

So what if you don't like Indie games then? You're screwed basically?

No, 3rd party games compass a bunch of things, not just indie.

I think the issue is, well, the first party games aren't selling. Even fantastic ones like killzone or tearaway were basically sales duds. Minus a Monster hunter like hit to build an audience, I doubt there is any profit in anything more expensive then your average indie game.

Not completely true. Japanese games do alright on the Vita, like the Dynasty Warriors, and I think Ys did great as well.

There are probably some Western style games that have done well that are indie too. It's just that bigger named games won't generate the same sales as the ones above.

What third party would want to develop a game for the Vita though? Unless Sony pays them to develop an exclusive, but how many of those games can Sony keep funding?

Uh, quite a few, actually. Three Japanese games are coming over here, plus you've got Soul Sacrifice as a confirmed sequel, and more. It's not like Sony has to fund every single 3rd party game on their own - they can release it themselves too, and most have.

Meh i dunno, they both have lackluster third party support in comparison to the psp/ds, i personally feel the 3DS has an higher first party support than the DS had and the vita even less than the PSP.

Both are disappointing devices but still worth buying for a few games.

Both the PSP and the DS had a far longer shelf life, and there isn't as much chaff as there is before, especially in the DS case. All those crappy, crappy games.

gngf123

Not surprised by this one bit.

I've "joked" about how Sony treat it a few times, but I actually like the Vita. It's a good bit of kit, sadly being made by a company who look like they don't give much of a shit about it.

turnbuckle

I love the Indies, but I'd love it even more if Sony adopted a similar indie development and created several of their own "indie-like" 1st party games for Vita as well as some more crossplatform Vita/PS3/PS4 releases. Relying so much on portable indie games that have been available on other formats for several months/years can still be good for present owners (the more games the better, generally) but they're not much to attract new consumers.

I'd love to get some quality 1st party spinoffs of known franchises that don't rely on visuals or big budgets to make them attractive.

Andrefpvs

This is why I'll never buy another Sony console at launch, ever. Not supporting your own hardware after such a short time. Ridiculous. Shameful, even. I'm a very disappointed costumer.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is the correct move for Sony. They tried the high production-value approach with Uncharted and Killzone and the market simply isn't there for titles with that sort of price point. With a relatively small install-base they can't even take the commodity approach as seen on iOS and try and recoup high dev cost with a bargain basement price structure.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Makes me wonder whats going to happen to Gravity Rush 2. Too good a series to let die, but perhaps, not financial viable given the recent failures in terms of first party vita game sales.

I'd love to see it jump to the ps4 as a series though, with GR1 HD as a combo or something.

It's really not.

As for Sony, at least they're being honest about it.

No they did not.

Do you think the Vita then will be getting fewer first-party games, I asked.

"I would say, yes, that's correct," Yoshida said.

While they didn't confirm they dropped support, they did confirm they are supporting it less.

It could be argued they are both in the same based on the almost anaemic levels of first party support over the past year or so.

spannicus

Damn no more uncharted on Vita? I enjoy the indies but what if you dont care for all those Japanese games? What then Sonry? What den?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
While they didn't confirm they dropped support, they did confirm they are supporting it less.

It could be argued they are both in the same based on the almost anaemic levels of first party support over the past year or so.

Less than what? They barely supported the thing in the first place.

This is why I'll never buy another Sony console at launch, ever. Not supporting your own hardware after such a short time. Ridiculous. Shameful, even. I'm a very disappointed costumer.

It's not Sony's fault - it's the market. They put up first party games, and they simply didn't take. And they did have some amazing games too, so it's not like quality was an issue.

Vita's not a console, and is in no way indicative of how the PS4 is performing. Do you really think the PS4 is going to never, ever get first party support?

So is it stating the obvious that the Vita is going to be Sony's last handheld platform?

Nah, I think Sony will look into ways of gaining better ground next time with smaller games and a bigger focus on third party titles, probably outright assisting most of them instead of only doing some.

Salex_

Looking forward to seeing reactions when Gravity Rush 2 is revealed to be a PS4 game.

Oh snap. Fact or speculation? I remember a few people saying to truth your comment about TLG not being at E3.

It would be messed up if they didn't make a Vita version, but I would love to see it on PS4 so the franchise can get more attention.

Kat should be the female character for PlayStation.

I'll honesty be surprised if the Vita gets more than a couple of new games from the Western Sony studios. Asian studios will probably send a more frequent set of games out, but not a great deal.

Uh, quite a few, actually. Three Japanese games are coming over here, plus you've got Soul Sacrifice as a confirmed sequel, and more. It's not like Sony has to fund every single 3rd party game on their own - they can release it themselves too, and most have.

Yeah, they could. But why should/would they? So their game can maybe sell a hundred thousand copies?

I'm ok with this. Not huge into Japanese games and western indies offer unique experiences that AAA usually lack.

BOI Rebirth and Hyper Light Drifter will give me several hundred hours on my Vita.

coldone

Why do they even bother releasing Vita-TV, Vita-2000. Are they just milking the dead cow. I feel terrible for the people who bought Vita 2000 last month.

Gamerloid

3DS is far more portable than the Vita especially compared to the original model. I also don't see how the vita of all things proves that great specs are necessary.
it doesn't have to be the Vita in design, because yes the 3DS is more portable. As for the specs, naturally it gets better, so I'm hoping Nintendo just goes and passes it. Devs will appreciate it and use it even if Nintendo doesn't use it to it's full potential. More important is online and digital infrastructure.

I don't think taking notes from a portable rival that's being slaughtered in sales by your own product since day one is at the top of the list: mind it, I too would want Nintendo to step their game up and offer some of the Vita's peculiar capabilities, but most of the time you take inspiration from a success, not the other way around
No doubt you're right. I'm just hoping they're also looking at how they can make sure they keep their dominance by making sure they don't have much room for a new handheld to attack. I know they are most likely thinking about how to deal with mobile gaming.

RM8

Its amazing to me that the power of crowd whining over memory cards actually killed a fantastic platform. Everyone back to your cell phone gaming or 3DS retro fest.
Price point and appealing games make a handheld successful, it has always been the case. The market didn't want a $250 handheld, 3DS or Vita (even though 3DS was selling better at that price than early Vita), much less a $250 handheld that required extra memory cards with absurd prices. You can't fault the market, Vita was poorly planned.

DedValve

Banned
Let me be the first to say: good.

Let me be the first (or not) to say: No.

This is terrible. Thank god the indie boom happened and the vita is strong enough to handle them with ease or this would have been a completely dead platform rather than one thats barely getting by.

I love my vita but imagine what could have been if it built upon the success of the PSP. We would have had everything we have now plus a huge wave of exclusives that make full use of vitas hardware features.

It's a terrible fate, one that will be remedied with Minecraft PS3 crosssave.

And Sony really hit it out of the ballpark with the vita, best launch titles ever followed by a strong first year of exclusives and the market rejected them all.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Sony liked the Vita as much as I do.

I knoooooow :(

I'll just sit here and enjoy my Neptune, Danganronpa, and other titles... From the tiny companies that see profits off localizing Vita titles. Although, maybe I should pick up Freedom Wars... If that gets good sales then... well, I doubt anything will change anyways :/

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So much wrong with this post. Don't even know where to start, so I won't.
you can put me into the annoyed with Sony camp.
It hardly sends a great message to third parties if even the console maker wants nothing to do with it.
If you hadnt screwed up the launch price and still continue to screw up on the memory cards, things may have been different. I still hear people say though would buy aa Vita even now if it wasnt for the fact memory card prices are too high. That and with the lack of first party they dont want to take the risk.
damn, i'm annoyed right now.
thank god for all the j rpgs this system is getting from Japan.
Wasn't the Vita launching at a killer price compared to the 3DS before it got its insane $60 price drop?
Not like Sony's first-party Vita games were that awesome to begin with.
Hush you. The majority of them are amazing. And the more recent ones sold like poop. Though, that's equally Sony's fault and the markets. They failed to shape the market of people that want a Vita. At least they finally ditched the "Console In Your Hands" message.

Less than what? They barely supported the thing in the first place.

That's the point. Them saying less support could be interpreted as them meaning we're all but dropping support and we hope Indies/third parties will pick up the slack.

Basically, it could be seen as them attempting to do what MS did in the latter years of the 360 but without the install base or high software attach rate.

AmanoBuff

Lol. Someone tweet this to Shahid.

Personally I don't mind that much. I have a lot of fun with indie games on my Vita, and when I look for bigger experiences, I prefer Japanese localizations, since western games are not my thing.

That said, it's kind of funny/sad SCEA is almost openly admitting they don't care about direct support for the platform.

Guess my hopes of getting Type-0 (the HD port or even a simple PSN release) will never see the light of day.

Yeah, they could. But why should/would they? So their game can maybe sell a hundred thousand copies?

That's quite a bit all things considered for a Vita/handheld release.

And still, if there's a crowd for it, and funding allows, they'll do it, and because it'll make them a profit. I'm pretty sure Ys did great for what it was, so why not continue? Plus, a focused machine will yield better results.

Why do they even bother releasing Vita-TV, Vita-2000. Are they just milking the dead cow. I feel terrible for the people who bought Vita 2000 last month.

Vita 2000 is an upgrade, the TV allows you to play it on the screen. Nobody has to buy anything, and it's not like you can port the TV around on the go. How the hell is that milking when both offer different features?

Top Bottom