• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment considering game company acquisitions

Lean productive developers punching above their weight would be the perfect acquisition targets.

Unless you want to overpay for all the baggage around the development talent.

SuperGiant Games would be a good fit.

DavJay

Big companies like capcom and ubisoft doesn’t make since. They would have to dig through treasures like ninja theory. Personally, I’d buy sudi51 and built a studio around him

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
My Top Ten Wish List -

01. Insomniac Games / AAA
Proven history, great developer with an excellent track record when working with Sony. When working with others, not so much. Spider Man 2 and Ratchet & Clank 2 are going to be PlayStation 5 exclusives anyway which will surpass their original games respectively.

02. Remedy / AAA
Perfect fit in my opinion as all they develop is third person single player story and narrative driven games. Great overall developer.

03. Ready At Dawn / AAA
Visually, one of the very best developers. The talent is clearly there. Just need to put the focus on other elements besides visuals and they would be awesome. Have a history of working with Sony.

04. Supermassive Games / AA
Would be a cheaper and not (but not great) replacement for Quantic Dream. Was originally developing Until Dawn for PlayStation 3 until it got moved to PS4 instead so Sony obviously saw something in the studio to do that as opposed to cancelling the game. Their games are solid and would probably be one of the cheaper acquisitions.

05. Housemarque / AA
Have worked for the most part exclusively with Sony and have developed some amazing twin stick arcade shooters and plat-formers. Perfect fit for $20 PSN digital only games and as free games on PS Plus. Those who are fans like me would buy their games day one. Besides, I want my freaking DinoNation damn it!!!

06. Arrowhead Studios / AA
Developed a game called Magicka for PC in 2011 and a bunch of extra content. Developed Helldivers which is an impressive 82 overall on open critic as a solo or up to four player co-op isometric twin stick shooter. Like Housemarque, would be a perfect fit for $20 PSN digital only games and as free games on PS Plus. Would also be a cheap acquisition.

07. Bluepoint Games / AA
Exclusively a remaster/remake studio, they woudl be perfect to handle the upgraded ports of PS4 games that become backwards compatible on PS5 while also remaking older games to see if they hit. Would also be a cheap acquisition.

08. Kojima Productions / AAA
Not much to say here. Only reason this developer is this low is because I don't believe that he would leave working with Sony. It's simply a prefect fit. With that said, it wouldn't hurt if he officially became part of Sony's first party studios.

09. Yang Bing / AAA
Yang Bing is the lone developer behind Lost Soul Aside demo years ago that was so impressive that Sony signed him, gave him a studio and a team. Fills the SoulsBorne genre, adds a Chinese development studio and keeps a young talented guy in house. Probably wouldn't be expensive either.

10. Crytek / AAA
This studio is only listed because of the CryEngine which is still used and could be licensed out by Sony to development studios that want to use it as well as acquiring their franchises such as Crysis. Would be a good alternative to develop a new Killzone game, Resistance game or Crysis 4 while at the same time, allowing Guerrilla/Insomniac to develop sequels to their previous PS4 titles and new IP's. Also adds the First Person Shooter genre back to Sony's catalog.

Those are my top ten development studios that are on my wish list. Covers AAA/AA games, fills a bunch of different genres, can license out CryEngine and their tech to other developers and added a veteran like Kojima and a young talented guy like Yang Bing all at the same time. Plus, the majority of the list would probably be pretty cheap actually. Insomniac, Remedy and Kojima would probably be the most expensive.

We'll just have to wait and see what studios Sony acquires.

The main value is in IPs and talented people, not just in companies in this business.

It will be a continous cycle of Microsoft & Sony acquiring talent from each other over the next 10-15 years. People do bounce back & forth in this industry. So the more critical thing actually is to own the better IPs.

Airbus Jr

Banned
During the Diablo II Era yes. No one really gives a fuck about Diablo anymore.

Shows how clueless you are

Do you know how much Diablo III sold? Over 30 million copies ( 2015 data)

Thats far more than any first party game sales on Xbox One ( Highest selling first party game on Xbox One is Halo 5 Guardian at around 5 m copies)

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Shows how clueless you are

Do you know how much Diablo III sold? Over 30 million copies ( 2015 data)

Thats far more than any first party game sales on Xbox One ( Highest selling first party game on Xbox One is Halo 5 Guardian at around 5 m copies)

The game sold well because of the name. Literally no one plays it on pc anymore, there's no reason to log in with the non rpg gsmeplay they pulled with the third entry.

Console players always heard good about the series which also made it sell good on the platforms.

Compare a third party game on 6 platforms VS a console exclusive... What ae you trying to prove?

Airbus Jr

Banned
The game sold well because of the name. Literally no one plays it on pc anymore, there's no reason to log in with the non rpg gsmeplay they pulled with the third entry.

Console players always heard good about the series which also made it sell good on the platforms.

Compare a third party game on 6 platforms VS a console exclusive... What ae you trying to prove?

You said nobody gives a fuck about diablo anymore since II

The fact Diablo III manage to sold over 30 million copy just proves how wrong you are

Of course nobody played the game on PC anymore the game came out in 2012 ffs

Last edited:

The_Mike

You said nobody gives a fuck about diablo anymore since II

The fact Diablo III manage to sold over 30 million copy just proves how wrong you are

Of course nobody played the game on PC anymore the game came out in 2012 ffs

Diablo II had quite a good player base until d3, which was a further lifespan.

But I see you can't comprehend to read what I wrote before, so rely to me again when you've learned to read.

Take a look at metacritic. 4.1 Userscore. https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Diablo II had quite a good player base until d3, which was a further lifespan.

But I see you can't comprehend to read what I wrote before, so rely to me again when you've learned to read.

Take a look at metacritic. 4.1 Userscore. https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

You keep deflecting the subject and conversation from your original post

Stop trying to be a smartass and admit youre wrong ( about nobody cares about diablo after II)

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
If this happens it will most likely be a Western developer/publisher. Other than Kojima (who hardly even counts as Japanese anymore) Californian Sony doesn't give a shit about Japan or Japanese games.

Except for censoring them lol :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Airbus Jr

Banned
If this happens it will most likely be a Western developer/publisher. Other than Kojima (who hardly even counts as Japanese anymore) Californian Sony doesn't give a shit about Japan or Japanese games.

Except for censoring them lol :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Need a legitimate source on that one

Senhua

But Nintendo are the good guys.
/s
By going from the response in this forum I got. It's completely 180 as Sony Zealot is the hardest here.
ResetEra better than this forum for this issue. Here they actively attacking anyone as long as their precious plastic machine can keep their exclusive ex: Sony WON E3 by only showcase one game moneyhatted by them .
Maybe Sony Zealot here poorer than on another forum as they can only afford one consoles only so anything exclusive is considered a BIG win.

Same with Nintendo
At least Nintendo rarely making exclusive deal for exclusive content / DLC or hold the games to be release at another platform for arbitrary time.
All their exclusive third party games IP usually the new IP owned by Nintendo themself (except Bayonetta comes to mid)
Sony:
- Nier A: Exclusive deal for Asia region
- MHW : Exclusive deal for Asia region
- NiOh: Timed exclusive deal without disclose the length (I need to buy the fucking games TWICE when been released on PC too, one year after the fucking PS4 version)
- AC: Syndicate : exclusive DLC content
- COD : exclusive DLC content
- CTR: exclusive content
- Nsane trilogy : timed without disclose the length
- Destiny 2: timed exclusive DLC content
- Spyro remaster : timed without disclose the length
- Marvel Avengers: exclusive content

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
By going from the response in this forum I got. It's completely 180 as Sony Zealot is the hardest here.
ResetEra better than this forum for this issue. Here they actively attacking anyone as long as their precious plastic machine can keep their exclusive ex: Sony WON E3 by only showcase one game moneyhatted by them .
Maybe Sony Zealot here poorer than on another forum as they can only afford one consoles only so anything exclusive is considered a BIG win.

At least Nintendo rarely making exclusive deal for exclusive content / DLC or hold the games to be release at another platform for arbitrary time.
All their exclusive third party games IP usually the new IP owned by Nintendo themself (except Bayonetta comes to mid)
Sony:
- Nier A: Exclusive deal for Asia region
- MHW : Exclusive deal for Asia region
- NiOh: Timed exclusive deal without disclose the length (I need to buy the fucking games TWICE when been released on PC too, one year after the fucking PS4 version)
- AC: Syndicate : exclusive DLC content
- COD : exclusive DLC content
- CTR: exclusive content
- Nsane trilogy : timed without disclose the length
- Destiny 2: timed exclusive DLC content
- Spyro remaster : timed without disclose the length
- Marvel Avengers: exclusive content
:messenger_grinning_squinting:

The_Mike

You keep deflecting the subject and conversation from your original post

Stop trying to be a smartass and admit youre wrong ( about nobody cares about diablo after II)

Stop quoting me, you aren't worth discussing with when you just twist around in your own spin man.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Stop quoting me, you aren't worth discussing with when you just twist around in your own spin man.

The only one person here keeep spinning the naratives is you

You already banned here once for improper behaviour i suppose at this point you already learn something important from that

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Jim Ryan has been saying ALL the right things these past few days. Lets see if its all talk no action or of they follow through. If you wanted content for streaming purposes then buying a publisher would make alot more sense than a small studio with barely any IP that comes along with them. If content is what they want then a Capcom, Square Enix, or other mid level size publisher (Relative to EA or activsion). I dont think they will aim that big though.

dirthead

Banned
Laughable that fanboys actually support this dog shit.

All it means is that fewer games will get PC versions. You WANT fewer choices? Idiotic.

GermanZepp

Laughable that fanboys actually support this dog shit.

All it means is that fewer games will get PC versions. You WANT fewer choices? Idiotic.

You are laughable. I buy Playstation because exclusives. I can't care less if games end up in PC or not. Which by the way you don't know if it gonna happen eventually.

Last edited:

Fake

ResetEra better than this forum for this issue.
So, what are you doing here? Go there mate. Nobody is forcing you to stay. I make fun with Sony, Nintendo and Xbox. Just a little search in my post history and boom.
Why you get so sensitve?

Last edited:

mejin

So, what are you doing here? Go there mate. Nobody is forcing you to stay. I make fun with Sony, Nintendo and Xbox. Just a little search in my post history and boom.
Why you get so sensitve?

Cause he's from ERA.

truth411

Sony should acquire:

1st Party:
Kojima Studios
Insomniac Games
Blue Point Games
Housemarque

2nd Party:
Remedy (2nd party only, Alan Wake was terrible IMO)

Pallas

Bluepoint would be a good acquisition for them, get that remaster studio squared away, maybe trust them to make an original IP as well.

mr1campbell

Neo Member
I think they should buy a large share in TakeTwo, to protect them from other buyouts and also lock down exclusivity periods and content. They could do this in partnership with MS, so Stadia do not get access to TT games.

Savage!

Kojima would be great to secure but he probably wants freedom first, so buying exclusivity on a game by game basis might be the only way.

He would be a great catch.

But does the suggest Kojima is officially with Sony?
When Kojima joined Guerrilla’s parent company Sony, he and his team had no technology to work with: they’d had to leave it all behind. The search for a new engine was rigorous.
https://thenextweb.com/adobe-fundamentals/2019/01/21/decima-game-engine-guerrilla-games/

Top Bottom