• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment has included “Windows PC” in a game listing on their website.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think for me I'd like the games be as widely available as possible. Doesn't really bother me but there are some caveats I think that are importanr

1. I think consoles should still have timed exclusivity, and would expect them to. Given the certification process for patches on the console ecosystems, especially with cross play, patch versioning will be important.
2. Pricing. I assume the digital storefronts will be controlled so we don't see Horizon 2 for £59.99 on the PSN store while it's £34.99 from a PC storefront
3. Cross play. I don't want to play with PC players in the majority of cases. From controller differences, to the obvious infestation of hacked savefiles like CoD and Diablo it ruins the game. Happy for others to just get on with it, but I want parity on controls and integrity of game. Level playing field. Concerns multiplayer titles mainly.
4. If they're playing on PSN servers, then I expect a PSN subscription to be mandatory as well (or seperate p2p multiplayer etc)

Generally I would still opt for the console at the moment. I have a PC and I've been in those positions where one game plays nicely with an updated driver and another one doesn't. I also have a console because big picture mode and kb/m or a universal app doesn't work for me. I'd be happy to have an SFF alienware with the console OS and manage my own settings though. Updates aren't generally an issues or AV

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Oh no Sony are trying to offload the Playstation, they don't support my 2015 tv anymore, my digital camera and my old Xperia phone. They are planning to get out of the electronics business, they want subscription based services and i''m going to bring it up in every Sony thread. Oh no! i'm turning into DanielsM and there's rain cloud following me everywhere.

GHG

console updates are easy as fuck & without incident. i had a Windows 10 update last year that prevented my computer from booting.

Yes, because no console update has ever bricked a console anywhere ever.

But hey, keep throwing personal anecdotes around as if it's the normal experience.

In contrast I can say that in the event I have to update my nvidia drivers (which is about 4 times a year these days), it takes less that 5 minutes to download and install the update.

Windows updates are set to download in the background and only install during the shut down process of my PC.

So for me I find the PC update process less intrusive than the console one.

I don't see "dedicated boxes" being sustainable if the reason fo

Well, consoles are often loss-leaders anyway. From Sony/MS perspective, it's not a bad thing to need less boxes necessarily. But I imagine there will always be those who want a dedicated box. We always see those sentiments expressed in threads like these. There are plenty of people who don't want to be arsed with the PC experience. I'm sure these companies will want to cater to them as well, as long as there is a sufficient market.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Well, consoles are often loss-leaders anyway. From Sony/MS perspective, it's not a bad thing to need less boxes necessarily. But I imagine there will always be those who want a dedicated box. We always see those sentiments expressed in threads like these. There are plenty of people who don't want to be arsed with the PC experience. I'm sure these companies will want to cater to them as well, as long as there is a sufficient market.

The PS4 has always been sold at a profit, it was never a loss leader like its brethren. Second, Playstation has alwsyb been a separate eco system where Sony gets 30% from each third party game & peripheral sold. It makes good business sense for Sony to keep selling those boxes.

Ron Mexico

Well, consoles are often loss-leaders anyway.

Probably the most sensible reason of any to be concerned and the one that should theoretically carry the most merit. Saying "I want a dedicated box at a price below its build cost" makes absolute sense, as does the follow-up thought of "Oh shit, if company X decides to expand their distro, I run the risk of not getting my next box at below cost!"

Instead, there's all this comparative nonsense of driver updates and monumental tasks that in reality are decidedly...mundane. With these consoles, you're essentially buying a pre-built computer running a custom OS. Your "driver updates" are baked into the firmware upgrades and day-1 patches are essentially an accepted standard now. It's semantics.

I want the most value for my money and part of that is I personally value longevity and flexibility. Everyone's value propositions will be different but there's room for at least some level of transparency and a good chunk of these type threads don't have it.

The PS4 has always been sold at a profit, it was never a loss leader like its brethren. Second, Playstation has alwsyb been a separate eco system where Sony gets 30% from each third party game & peripheral sold. It makes good business sense for Sony to keep selling those boxes.

Fair enough. (I did say *often* loss leaders, fwiw.) And I also agree that it makes sense for them to keep selling consoles...as long as there is sufficient demand. How long will that be the case? I have no crystal ball, but I don't see any immediate danger to that market.

Personally, I'm happy to play on console or PC, despite preferring the latter. But there's nothing wrong with options. I think it is surely in the best interest of sellers of products - games in this case - to sell those products to as wide a market as possible, though.

I dont see any data on AAA games selling even good as Xbox on full price. Sure some outliers like Dark Souls selling well but dont think that counts much in grand scheme. Thats why most online games are dead on PC

Oh my Lord, listen to yourself mate. This is like saying, "Why are they opening up their product for sale in X country when it won't make as many sales as it already does in Y country."...

Gunna make a big O'l guess that you don't run a business.

Neofire

Yes, because no console update has ever bricked a console anywhere ever.

But hey, keep throwing personal anecdotes around as if it's the normal experience.

In contrast I can say that in the event I have to update my nvidia drivers (which is about 4 times a year these days), it takes less that 5 minutes to download and install the update.

Windows updates are set to download in the background and only install during the shut down process of my PC.

So for me I find the PC update process less intrusive than the console one.

You know dog on well that windows isn't automatically set up to do that, you have to set it up to do that and it isn't a simple click of a button either.

We get it, your preference is PC and that is okay but do not twist facts buck'o.

There are many pc configurations out there and a lot require specific ways to update. No straightforward at all.

I think for me I'd like the games be as widely available as possible. Doesn't really bother me but there are some caveats I think that are importanr

1. I think consoles should still have timed exclusivity, and would expect them to. Given the certification process for patches on the console ecosystems, especially with cross play, patch versioning will be important.
2. Pricing. I assume the digital storefronts will be controlled so we don't see Horizon 2 for £59.99 on the PSN store while it's £34.99 from a PC storefront
3. Cross play. I don't want to play with PC players in the majority of cases. From controller differences, to the obvious infestation of hacked savefiles like CoD and Diablo it ruins the game. Happy for others to just get on with it, but I want parity on controls and integrity of game. Level playing field. Concerns multiplayer titles mainly.
4. If they're playing on PSN servers, then I expect a PSN subscription to be mandatory as well (or seperate p2p multiplayer etc)

Generally I would still opt for the console at the moment. I have a PC and I've been in those positions where one game plays nicely with an updated driver and another one doesn't. I also have a console because big picture mode and kb/m or a universal app doesn't work for me. I'd be happy to have an SFF alienware with the console OS and manage my own settings though. Updates aren't generally an issues or AV

2 is a moot point if Sony publish and distribute the game, they set the price
3 the irony of mentioning Diablo when on PC is online only and on console you find the busted save files. Pad and MK separate i can get behind for PVP, PVE games though? ehhh
4 bad idea

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't get it, it's not a Sony game and we already knew it was coming to PC...

Neofire

Sorry about that quote being a sentence fragment. There was alot more but somehow it come cut off when I hit reply.

I apologize 👀 that's why I get for trying to respond on my smart phone lol.

But to reiterate up what I said, there is no use for dedicated boxes, in regards to Sony when your install base drops so low that it makes no since to spend millions of dollars on R&D just to sell 20 to 30 million units, if that.

The ps4(only the ps4) has moved 1.5 billion in software and instead of trying to maintain the market share they are acting like the console space is a sinking ship for them.

Maybe I'm wrong though but install base wise it hasn't worked to well for Microsoft's attach rate going to this strategy.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
and that's why i am building a new pc this year kids.
30XX team green series gpu.
new intel CPU and i am done bby

Yeah people who actually have played both pc and console knows this, rarely are all all pc updates straight forward. Console updates are all automatically downloaded and installed.

Rarely?...

Wutface.gif

Explain what you mean by straightforward... Because I can't remember the last time I had an issue with an update since... Well I can't remember lol. I know I have, but it was years ago.

Also, literally the only thing I need to update that isn't done automatically is my graphics drivers. But that is only because I have it set to manual. If I wanted literally everything could be set to auto and I would have a "console" like experience.

Good grief guys, I'm actually on the side that no one needs to panic about Sony games coming to PC because it isn't going to make that much of a difference in console sales... But ya'll aren't doing yourselves any favors when you pretzel your brains in order to argue against something that is awesomely pro consumer.

Last edited:
Sorry about that quote being a sentence fragment. There was alot more but somehow it come cut off when I hit reply.

I apologize 👀 that's why I get for trying to respond on my smart phone lol.

Yeah, I wasn't sure exactly what your whole message was going to be, so I just filled in the blanks, lol. No problem.

Bryank75

Banned
Profit margins are far bigger on software than they are on hardware once R&D is taken into consideration.
Yes but PlayStation only release a few games a year.

The vast majority of their money is made off 3rd party games sold on their platform.

Say they sell 1 or 2 million copies of Horizon at 40 dollars average, that is 80 million maximum gross.

Recent polls suggest between 25 to 35% of PS gamers would consider changing to PC if exclusives go multiplatform. Each PS gamer has between 10 and 11 games on average. (Hardcore that would change would have a lot more)

So lets take 20 million customers lost, with 10 games @ 30 euro each. ((10*30=300)(300m*20m=6Billion)

So even at conservative numbers, they may lose 6 billion to make between 40 to 80 million a year on the one big game they publish (if it's a hit).

That's not even considering PS+ and other services and transactions.

This has to be the most stupid decision PlayStation could possibly make..... if they do it, they deserve to fail.

If both consoles do it, then honestly it means Nintendo is next.

They already went mobile, and even adopted paid online, they'll follow what MS/Sony does and go PC in due time.

Nintendo is always the slowest to these sort of industrial changes, I wouldn't be surprise if PC just gets Mario Galaxy in another 10 years, let alone any of the Marios after that xD.

Last edited:
Explain what you mean by straightforward... Because I can't remember the last time I had an issue with an update since... Well I can't remember lol. I know I have, but it was years ago.

Also, literally the only thing I need to update that isn't automatically is my graphics drivers. But that is only because I have it set to manual. If I wanted literally everything could be set to auto and I would have a "console" like experience.

Good grief guys, I'm actually on the side that no one needs to panic about Sony games coming to PC because it isn't going to make that much of a difference in console sales... But ya'll aren't doing yourselves any favors when you pretzel your brains in order to argue against something that is awesomely pro consumer.

I think the main issue for the hand-wringing is that some fear the loss of their preferred way to game with the apparent creeping of more and more console releases on the PC side. But I don't think there is any cause for worry from the console crowd in the near-term, and probably not in the relatively long-term either.

And yes, PC gaming is just as easy as console gaming, I agree. (But with added flexibility if you want it.)

petran79

Banned
I don't care for new Sony games. Porting their Vita-PS3-ps4 library to PC is currently all I need, mainly for Bloodborne, gravity rush, sotc remaster and tlg.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
The worst part is that nobody say a word or a single tweet like:. "We know that you heard rumors, but soon we share news".
Jim Ryan is a coward.
He is, he thinks he is running a Shoe manufacturer or something like that.... get your shoes into as many shops as possible!

Guy doesn't have a fucking clue. He has never been able to talk to the fans. He is unable to connect and Spencer will run him down like a deer caught in headlights.
Spencer knows what is going on more than this clown.

With Sony Interactive Entertainment now embracing PC with titles like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Dreams, plus potentially The Last of Us Part II, they now are listing Windows PC on their website PlayStation.com!

This could mean that the PlayStation giant isn’t holding back at all and is fully bringing their titles that are “exclusives” to more than just their console.

Godfall (minute of gameplay), Counterplay Games’ debut PS5 title is out this Holiday, but that’s not the strange part to this listing. Alongside PS5 is PC, which isn’t something you’d expect from a company that is quite proud of their exclusives. Sony included it while games like Flow, Flower, Journey, Beyond Two Souls, Detroit: Become Human, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, Guns Up!, and several others (Jesus Sony has a lot of IPs on PC) all don’t mention PC on the PlayStation website.

Microsoft is releasing all Xbox Game Studios titles on PC and some even on Nintendo Switch, hopefully Sony can follow in their footsteps. Sony Music (Unties + original studio) and Sony Pictures (Sony Pictures Virtual Reality and Animax Games) both have gaming divisions and their titles are multiplatform (like Tiny Metal and Deemo under Sony Music Entertainment plus Marvel’s Spider-Man: Homecoming VR and Groundhog Day: Like Father Like Son from Sony Pictures Entertainment) so it was only about time Sony Corp forced the final branch with developers to not do exclusives.

Does this potentially change your mind about PS5 if games will be heading to PC?

Source: PlayStation’s website

It benefits the consumer, but not Sony. Not as much as you think, exclusives are the most important part about console gaming and they're literally the only thing that make consoles unique.

Suddenly Microsoft does it and everybody at their camp is on board.

Last edited:

vkbest

Seriously guys, do you think Sony will promote Steam for third party games? or Sony is making PSN for PC and rumors don't know about this yet or this is a error.

Nintendo is always the slowest to these sort of industrial changes, I wouldn't be surprise if PC just gets Mario Galaxy in another 10 years, let alone any of the Marios after that xD.

As much as I love Nintendo, I'd love for them to release everything on PC, but a part of me gives them a pass and hopes they always tinker around with unique hardware and keep on doing their own dance as if the music is only playing in their head.

Moses85

Starcraft, the most popular RTS of all time, went online back in 1998, and 22 years later, IS STILL BEING PLAYED to this day.

CZlLMDD.jpg

79oq026.png

Because, PC has no games😜

and that's why i am building a new pc this year kids.
30XX team green series gpu.
new intel CPU and i am done bby

Congrats mate! Welcome to the family. I built a new PC last year and was very lucky to win an 8086k. I'm just waiting for the new cards to replace my 1080 with whatever is the best TI series this time so I am set for years. Also, I just bought a GSYNC monitor. The Viewsonic ELITE XG270QG. It is my first ever anything Sync experience and Holy Mamma Jamma is it freaking worth it. I can't even believe I waited this long. The difference it makes is unbelievable especially at lower framerates. I bring this up to say that I would actually prioritize a good gsync monitor over other expensive parts first. Because it really is going to make a huge difference. With that out of the way...

You must know though, that the people going this route for serious gaming are going to be few and far in-between compared to those who just buy another console. I think people are grossly overestimating most casual gamers numbers, money and aptitudes for building blazing PC's. Both Sony and MS are going to have that market on lock. I mean, do ya'll remember monster cables? Casuals ate that up because it was an EASY way to feel that they where in the hard core crowd. You can see the same thing in all kinds of GAMER branded stuff on both PC and console.

It is a monumental task to convince a casual to join the hardcore PC crowd. Especially when both Sony and MS are putting out these new "beast machines" in a convenient form factor.

And this isn't even taking into account brand loyalty and popularity with the "cool factor," as seen in many other industries.

JordanN

Banned
Honestly pc gaming sucks ass. Fucking everything is gaas or indie-mobile´.

Any game that is a good singleplayer game has its roots in console.

The more dominiant pc becomes the more games will either be cheap ass shit borderline mobile games or gaas-crap.

sad but true.
It's the other way around.

In fact, look at the original Xbox. You could argue what kept that console alive was the stream of PC games being ported to it (i.e Half Life 2, Doom 3, Max Payne, Knights of the Old Republic).

Even the original Halo was even suppose to be a PC/Apple exclusive untill MS got involved.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
It's the other way around.

In fact, look at the original Xbox. You could argue what kept the console alive was the stream of PC games being ported to it.

Even the original Halo was even suppose to be a PC/Apple exclusive untill MS got involved.

that was 20 years ago.

JordanN

Banned
that was 20 years ago.
That's because these same PC developers have gone multiplatform.

With some exceptions. Valve is still making another Half Life but for their VR headset.

Also, Blizzard is still around. Does Starcraft 2 not count as great single player?

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
the only good singlplayer games that are being produced are japanese or sony/nintendo firstparty.

There are some exceptions like a plauge tale, hellblade, kkd, the witcher, rdr.

But most multiplats are fucking ass. And pc is the driving force behind online gaming and gaas.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Congrats mate! Welcome to the family. I built a new PC last year and was very lucky to win an 8086k. I'm just waiting for the new cards to replace my 1080 with whatever is the best TI series this time so I am set for years. Also, I just bought a GSYNC monitor. The Viewsonic ELITE XG270QG. It is my first ever anything Sync experience and Holy Mamma Jamma is it freaking worth it. I can't even believe I waited this long. The difference it makes is unbelievable especially at lower framerates. I bring this up to say that I would actually prioritize a good gsync monitor over other expensive parts first. Because it really is going to make a huge difference. With that out of the way...

You must know though, that the people going this route for serious gaming are going to be few and far in-between compared to those who just buy another console. I think people are grossly overestimating most casual gamers numbers, money and aptitudes for building blazing PC's. Both Sony and MS are going to have that market on lock. I mean, do ya'll remember monster cables? Casuals ate that up because it was an EASY way to feel that they where in the hard core crowd. You can see the same thing in all kinds of GAMER branded stuff on both PC and console.

It is a monumental task to convince a casual to join the hardcore PC crowd. Especially when both Sony and MS are putting out these new "beast machines" in a convenient form factor.

And this isn't even taking into account brand loyalty and popularity with the "cool factor," as seen in many other industries.
Been pc gaming for years ;)
I just build a new pc every 6 years or so.
and after 3 years some small upgrade. Bigger hdd. better ram etc etc.

and yeah SSD + gsync is prolly the biggest jump we had for pc gaming.
i have the predator x34P got it last black friday dirt cheap.

gsync is the sole reason why playing games at 3440x1440 doesn't feel dated on a gtx1060. As gsync covers all the dips.

JimboJones

I think Sony could make a good stab at there own PS launcher they certainly have the exclusives to draw people to it and if they had cross buy they might get a few PC gamers into their ecosystem.
I don't think it's likely but they have the exclusives to push it.
Or maybe require a PSN login for multiplayer games.

cormack12

Gold Member
2 is a moot point if Sony publish and distribute the game, they set the price
3 the irony of mentioning Diablo when on PC is online only and on console you find the busted save files. Pad and MK separate i can get behind for PVP, PVE games though? ehhh
4 bad idea

What would be the digital distribution on PC though?
Because of the file transfers introduced by cross play. They were originally hacked on PC, then completey fucked up console bases with paragon points and items.
Division 2 shows what happens when you build a PvE game with KB/M as primary input device both in speed of NPC's and difficulty of the raid. Though I take your general point, it would be 'less' of an issue for user experience, more difficulty scaling.
You mean an idea you don't like. I neevr said it was a good idea or bad idea. I said it would be an expectation if you're piggy backing on the PSN service that you pay the same as the console players. Even more so if it is being used as the distribution platform as well.

Yes but PlayStation only release a few games a year.

The vast majority of their money is made off 3rd party games sold on their platform.

Say they sell 1 or 2 million copies of Horizon at 40 dollars average, that is 80 million maximum gross.

Recent polls suggest between 25 to 35% of PS gamers would consider changing to PC if exclusives go multiplatform. Each PS gamer has between 10 and 11 games on average. (Hardcore that would change would have a lot more)

So lets take 20 million customers lost, with 10 games @ 30 euro each. ((10*30=300)(300m*20m=6Billion)

So even at conservative numbers, they may lose 6 billion to make between 40 to 80 million a year on the one big game they publish (if it's a hit).

That's not even considering PS+ and other services and transactions.

This has to be the most stupid decision PlayStation could possibly make..... if they do it, they deserve to fail.

This is all well and good ( except the numbers crunching, im sure they have top shelf analysts for that stuf)

This whole "new" strategy , if and when it happens mind you, can be summarized in two points

1 they don't want to leave to MS the market in every country they currently CLEARLY lead.
meaning the whole world minus US,UK, maybe some central and south American smaller countries

2 hardware and games prices are almost stagnant, while at the same time game development resources (cost, time, personnel etc)needed to keep a certain standard of quality grows.
Looking at the past generations, PS sells an average of 110/120 millions consoles per gen, if they make this move it means that in the long run they need that audience to grow even further

This is obviously imho

Neofire

It benefits the consumer, but not Sony. Not as much as you think, exclusives are the most important part about console gaming and they're literally the only thing that make consoles unique.

Suddenly Microsoft does it and everybody at their camp is on board.
Someone who gets it.

I'm still waiting on someone to tell me why buy an inferior system if you can buy the superior one and play all the same games on it at superior quality?

That is for the people that think it's no problem for Sony or the individuals invested in the Playstation platform.

I do however hope Sony does do cross play with the multi player titles they sling to PC I do not wish them to bifurcate the player base of the game only to not play online together.

Lanrutcon

The more dominiant pc becomes the more games will either be cheap ass shit borderline mobile games or gaas-crap.

sad but true.

It's January 2020 and already we have a post of the decade.

Bravo, you beautiful mess you.

Blond

Banned
Yeah people who actually have played both pc and console knows this, rarely are all all pc updates straight forward. Console updates are all automatically downloaded and installed.

Dude, my Death Stranding PS4 had a failed update that caused me to go into recovery mode and get it set up. Stop acting like it's "so seamless" when it's clearly not anymore. At-least when a PC is "bricked" you have more capability of recovering your system than you do on a console, which if it's out of warranty you have to pay Sony to fix something that shouldn't have happened.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned

sad but true.

Have you seen the amount GAAS, Indie and F2P bullshit on the PS4? Cause I sure as hell do.

Graciaus

Someone who gets it.

I'm still waiting on someone to tell me why buy an inferior system if you can buy the superior one and play all the same games on it at superior quality?

That is for the people that think it's no problem for Sony or the individuals invested in the Playstation platform.

I do however hope Sony does do cross play with the multi player titles they sling to PC I do not wish them to bifurcate the player base of the game only to not play online together.
Most people only know consoles and that's all they care about. Just read the replies in this very thread. The amount of misinformation concerning PC gaming from "hardcore" gamers is embarrassing.

The amount of people who would fully switch over to PC is small. Even though it should be much higher.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You know dog on well that windows isn't automatically set up to do that, you have to set it up to do that and it isn't a simple click of a button either.

We get it, your preference is PC and that is okay but do not twist facts buck'o.

There are many pc configurations out there and a lot require specific ways to update. No straightforward at all.

Holy shit think about complaining how difficult it is to click on a Nvidia icon in the right bottom corner and click update.

How do you people even manage to get out of bed in the morning.

Ayy lmao is it really too much when most pc gamers wait for 5$ sales

Lots of console gamers do as well, as long as they aren’t Nintendo only gamers. That’s why Sony and Microsoft drop their game prices so quickly. Look how fast titles like God of War and Days Gone on PS4 went dirt cheap. There’s a group of people willing to pay top price, there’s a group of people who are not.

Top Bottom