• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment is looking for someone with Nvidia GPU and PC programming knowledge to work on The Last of Us Part II

CyberPanda

Banned
Naughty Dog is looking for a Graphics Programmer, and they’re hoping that person knows anything about Nvidia CUDA or PC programming, DirectX12 experience would be a plus too.

This isn’t surprising anymore, given Jason Schreier says Horizon: Zero Dawn is coming to PC and Sony plans more titles to arrive in the future. This isn’t to say the game is 100% coming to PC, however c’mon now, what does Nvidia have to do with an AMD console? No other job listing mentions it, and this is only 2 days ago this was posted (post Horizon PC leak).

Thorough understanding of current GPU architectures (AMD GCN, NVIDIA CUDA)
Experience with DirectX12, Vulkan or other modern graphics or compute APIs
Console or PC programming experience
The Last of Us Part II launches on May 29th, 2020 on PS4.

Source: LinkedIn

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
holy shit, my biggest complaint with the first game was lack of kb/m support (as it is with every console exclusive). What could this mean, but PC? :)

John117

After all I think that TLOU Part 2 could be on PC after some time (very long time)- I think that We see the mode PS5 at the launch of the new console.....

VFXVeteran

Banned
giphy.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Good. Now i don't have to pay their yearly online fees to play online.

Let's see how this all plays out. I just don't see this not blowing up in Sony's face.

Once nvidia puts out their 20-25 tflops gpus, i don't see consoles keeping their userbases. Especially the ones that actually spend money.

Trogdor1123

Good. Now i don't have to pay their yearly online fees to play online.

Let's see how this all plays out. I just don't see this not blowing up in Sony's face.

Once nvidia puts out their 20-25 tflops gpus, i don't see consoles keeping their userbases. Especially the ones that actually spend money.
Those computers cost like 2 grand, you can't compare those bases.

sunnysideup

Banned
I want to sell my playstation and buy a pc. But i dont dare to buy one before i know what the console baseplate is going to be.

No way im investing anything in a nonexclusive echosystäm.

splattered

I dont see this as a reason to get a pc over a ps5. The ps5 will still have lots of games that dont come to PC. PC will still be SUPER expensive to buy at specs to rival or beat ps5 at least for a year or two. Just get a PS5 and enjoy it till pricing of new PC components come down a bit.

LostDonkey

Fucking hell, lets leap to conclusions again lol.

PC's are used throughout the development pipeline, so there's always a need for this sort of general graphics api knowledge.

Took the words right out me mouf.

Im sure some people think console games are just developed on a console plugged into a TV lol

Chromata

Still skeptical since that's a pretty general job posting. I'm no programmer but I'd imagine having experience in the listed areas would help even when making a console exclusive.

Sony might be testing the waters right now and seeing how well Horizon sells on PC. Even if it does well, I have a hard time seeing TLOU2 release on PC any time soon.

Sony is most likely going to sell PS5 at a loss and gaming makes up a much higher % of their revenue than Microsoft. They want people to invest in a PS5 especially at the start.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why would you want to optimize for Nvidia cards when you compile your code to run on AMD boxes exclusively?

They have both in dev studios. Maybe for PS3 BC?

I’m not saying this may not be “smoking gun”, but there was nothing illogical with what Clear Clear had said.

Top developers don’t want one dimensional coders. They have a standalone multiplayer game they are working on that it could be for as well.

Could be for other such projects within Sony’s portfolio. Naughty Dog is where they house their ICE Team that encompasses the APIs and new shared tech for all of PlayStation first party work.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Very interesting, I’m waiting to see what comes out of all this but hopefully this means what we all think it does.

psorcerer

Banned
Yea, I just started learning this last week. Our company is scheduling a training week with Nvidia for our software engineers. It will be fun indeed!

In my experience Nvidia knows jack shit about low level optimizations that are needed for real-time and just try to brute-force for no reason.
Even in pure cuda things like dnn.
Nervana created a solution that beats Nvidia in-house one 2:1 in no time.

VFXVeteran

Banned
In my experience Nvidia knows jack shit about low level optimizations that are needed for real-time and just try to brute-force for no reason.
Even in pure cuda things like dnn.
Nervana created a solution that beats Nvidia in-house one 2:1 in no time.

I'll have to check out Nervana. But you know my tastes -- I like brute force. ;)

Top Bottom